USB flash drive speed USB1.1 vs USB 2.0

My laptop's USB ports advertised to be USB 2.0
When I use one of them to transfer a 106 MegaByte folder of many subfolders
and files to a Sandisk 256 MB flash drive it takes about fourty minutes 2.7
MegaBytes per Minute.  Does this sound right for USB 2.0 or USB 1.1?    The
new laptop is not executing any other programs and the hard disk light is
off.

0
Blue
1/20/2004 5:19:36 AM
comp.periphs 394 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Big education for me.  USB 1.1 and 2.0 are standards,
not speeds.  Each has a high speed and a low speed.  To know what your
peripheral is going to do you must ignore the 1.1 and 2.0 designations as
meaningless.  What counts is does the peripheral have an artsy USB logo, and
does that artsy logo include the term "hi-speed"? If it does it will
transfer data at about fourty times as fast as if it does not -     even if
it crows that it is "USB 2.0
"Blue" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:buidp6$2hi6$1@zook.lafn.org...
> My laptop's USB ports advertised to be USB 2.0
> When I use one of them to transfer a 106 MegaByte folder of many
subfolders
> and files to a Sandisk 256 MB flash drive it takes about fourty minutes
2.7
> MegaBytes per Minute.  Does this sound right for USB 2.0 or USB 1.1?
The
> new laptop is not executing any other programs and the hard disk light is
> off.

0
Blue
1/25/2004 11:14:09 PM
Blue wrote:
> Big education for me.  USB 1.1 and 2.0 are standards,
> not speeds.  Each has a high speed and a low speed.  To know what your
> peripheral is going to do you must ignore the 1.1 and 2.0 designations as
> meaningless.  What counts is does the peripheral have an artsy USB logo, and
> does that artsy logo include the term "hi-speed"? If it does it will
> transfer data at about fourty times as fast as if it does not -     even if
> it crows that it is "USB 2.0

Heh.  (Do the USB cards in the computer also need to specify "hi-speed",
or are they all hi-speed capable?)

Thanks for sharing the resolution of your question with the rest of us!

- Brooks

Brooks