USB power out?

I have an external CDRW/DVD  combo drive made by Dynex (model DX-CMBOSLM) It
has a USB connector and a 5V external AC adapter, which is the only source
of power for the drive. It's a standard internal CD drive out of a laptop
that is put in a slim case by the manufacturer, and sold as an external.  I
see that similar drives on the market are able to operate on USB power
alone, and require the AC adapter only for booting from CDROM.
(Understandable because the computer may not be supplying power thru the USB
port on bootup.)

I am searching for some type of USB jack which would allow 5V to be drawn
out of the USB connector and delivered to the power input jack of the
external drive.  This would allow me to use my external drive on USB power
without the need to search for an AC outlet each time I need to use it.

I understand the caution that the drive may consume more power than the USB
can deliver, but I think it's worth a try. The worst that could happen is
that the device won't operate, and I'd then go back to the AC adapter.  If
by some remote chance, it damages the unit, I'm only out the $40 I paid for
the drive on ebay.

0
JoeSP
4/15/2006 6:30:28 AM
comp.periphs 394 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

JoeSP wrote:
> I have an external CDRW/DVD  combo drive made by Dynex (model DX-CMBOSLM) It
> has a USB connector and a 5V external AC adapter, which is the only source
> of power for the drive. It's a standard internal CD drive out of a laptop
> that is put in a slim case by the manufacturer, and sold as an external.  I
> see that similar drives on the market are able to operate on USB power
> alone, and require the AC adapter only for booting from CDROM.
> (Understandable because the computer may not be supplying power thru the USB
> port on bootup.)
>
> I am searching for some type of USB jack which would allow 5V to be drawn
> out of the USB connector and delivered to the power input jack of the
> external drive.  This would allow me to use my external drive on USB power
> without the need to search for an AC outlet each time I need to use it.
>
> I understand the caution that the drive may consume more power than the USB
> can deliver, but I think it's worth a try. The worst that could happen is
> that the device won't operate, and I'd then go back to the AC adapter.  If
> by some remote chance, it damages the unit, I'm only out the $40 I paid for
> the drive on ebay.

I have a PCMCIA USB card for my laptop, which came with an adapter that
connects to another USB port for extra power. If you search, you might
be able to find one at a computer accessory store.
Check the current rating of your drive - most USB ports are limited to 1
  amp, and a miniature fuse will blow if you exceed that.
0
Rick
4/16/2006 12:48:32 AM
hay, if your drive only needs 500ma or less to work then you can wier it to
use usb power, the thing might also be using usb power alredy and using ac
to supplimant, reduses the lode on the ac adapter.

check in the device mamager to see how much power it is drawing from usb,
and look at the ac adapter to see how much lode it can haldle, this is
usless it the adapter is not the 1 that came with the drive.

to check usb power usage, use a tool like usbview, google for it, or get
into the device manager.

to get there right click on the my computer icon on the desktop or startmenu
under winxp, click properties, you will either see a tab that says device
manager in win9x or hardware in win2k/xp, if win 2k/xp click on the hardware
tab, then the device manager button.

once there expand the universal sieral bus adapters groupe

then look in all the usb root hubs and other hubs for the power consumption
intermation.

--
diehard67
http://www.diehard67.ca
"JoeSP" <olegp@telus.net> wrote in message
>I have an external CDRW/DVD  combo drive made by Dynex (model DX-CMBOSLM)
>It has a USB connector and a 5V external AC adapter, which is the only
>source of power for the drive. It's a standard internal CD drive out of a
>laptop that is put in a slim case by the manufacturer, and sold as an
>external.  I see that similar drives on the market are able to operate on
>USB power alone, and require the AC adapter only for booting from CDROM.
>(Understandable because the computer may not be supplying power thru the
>USB port on bootup.)
>
> I am searching for some type of USB jack which would allow 5V to be drawn
> out of the USB connector and delivered to the power input jack of the
> external drive.  This would allow me to use my external drive on USB power
> without the need to search for an AC outlet each time I need to use it.
>
> I understand the caution that the drive may consume more power than the
> USB can deliver, but I think it's worth a try. The worst that could happen
> is that the device won't operate, and I'd then go back to the AC adapter.
> If by some remote chance, it damages the unit, I'm only out the $40 I paid
> for the drive on ebay.

0
diehard67
4/19/2006 6:34:33 PM
"diehard67" <ax@bx.cx> wrote in message
> hay, if your drive only needs 500ma or less to work then you can wier it
> to use usb power, the thing might also be using usb power alredy and using
> ac to supplimant, reduses the lode on the ac adapter.
>
> check in the device mamager to see how much power it is drawing from usb,
> and look at the ac adapter to see how much lode it can haldle, this is
> usless it the adapter is not the 1 that came with the drive.
>
> to check usb power usage, use a tool like usbview, google for it, or get
> into the device manager.
>
> to get there right click on the my computer icon on the desktop or
> startmenu under winxp, click properties, you will either see a tab that
> says device manager in win9x or hardware in win2k/xp, if win 2k/xp click
> on the hardware tab, then the device manager button.
>
> once there expand the universal sieral bus adapters groupe
>
> then look in all the usb root hubs and other hubs for the power
> consumption intermation.
>
> --
> diehard67

It's not using any power thru the USB. I was hoping to draw 5V out of the
USB port, to avoid using the bulky AC adapter.

Thanks for the help, but man, you're a terrible speller.

> http://www.diehard67.ca
> "JoeSP" <olegp@telus.net> wrote in message
>>I have an external CDRW/DVD  combo drive made by Dynex (model DX-CMBOSLM)
>>It has a USB connector and a 5V external AC adapter, which is the only
>>source of power for the drive. It's a standard internal CD drive out of a
>>laptop that is put in a slim case by the manufacturer, and sold as an
>>external.  I see that similar drives on the market are able to operate on
>>USB power alone, and require the AC adapter only for booting from CDROM.
>>(Understandable because the computer may not be supplying power thru the
>>USB port on bootup.)
>>
>> I am searching for some type of USB jack which would allow 5V to be drawn
>> out of the USB connector and delivered to the power input jack of the
>> external drive.  This would allow me to use my external drive on USB
>> power without the need to search for an AC outlet each time I need to use
>> it.
>>
>> I understand the caution that the drive may consume more power than the
>> USB can deliver, but I think it's worth a try. The worst that could
>> happen is that the device won't operate, and I'd then go back to the AC
>> adapter. If by some remote chance, it damages the unit, I'm only out the
>> $40 I paid for the drive on ebay.

0
JoeSP
4/20/2006 4:10:17 AM
Smell Checquer Not Vorking, Yah??

> "diehard67" <ax@bx.cx> wrote in message
>> hay, if your drive only needs 500ma or less to work then you can wier it
>> to use usb power, the thing might also be using usb power alredy and
>> using ac to supplimant, reduses the lode on the ac adapter.
>>
>> check in the device mamager to see how much power it is drawing from usb,
>> and look at the ac adapter to see how much lode it can haldle, this is
>> usless it the adapter is not the 1 that came with the drive.
>>
>> to check usb power usage, use a tool like usbview, google for it, or get
>> into the device manager.
>>
>> to get there right click on the my computer icon on the desktop or
>> startmenu under winxp, click properties, you will either see a tab that
>> says device manager in win9x or hardware in win2k/xp, if win 2k/xp click
>> on the hardware tab, then the device manager button.
>>
>> once there expand the universal sieral bus adapters groupe
>>
>> then look in all the usb root hubs and other hubs for the power
>> consumption intermation.
>>
>> --
>> diehard67
>
> It's not using any power thru the USB. I was hoping to draw 5V out of the
> USB port, to avoid using the bulky AC adapter.
>
> Thanks for the help, but man, you're a terrible speller.
>

>> http://www.diehard67.ca
>> "JoeSP" <olegp@telus.net> wrote in message
>>>I have an external CDRW/DVD  combo drive made by Dynex (model DX-CMBOSLM)
>>>It has a USB connector and a 5V external AC adapter, which is the only
>>>source of power for the drive. It's a standard internal CD drive out of a
>>>laptop that is put in a slim case by the manufacturer, and sold as an
>>>external.  I see that similar drives on the market are able to operate on
>>>USB power alone, and require the AC adapter only for booting from CDROM.
>>>(Understandable because the computer may not be supplying power thru the
>>>USB port on bootup.)
>>>
>>> I am searching for some type of USB jack which would allow 5V to be
>>> drawn out of the USB connector and delivered to the power input jack of
>>> the external drive.  This would allow me to use my external drive on USB
>>> power without the need to search for an AC outlet each time I need to
>>> use it.
>>>
>>> I understand the caution that the drive may consume more power than the
>>> USB can deliver, but I think it's worth a try. The worst that could
>>> happen is that the device won't operate, and I'd then go back to the AC
>>> adapter. If by some remote chance, it damages the unit, I'm only out the
>>> $40 I paid for the drive on ebay.

0
Art
4/23/2006 10:41:35 AM
I was talking about a way to steel power from usb to run the thing if the
drive needs 500 ma or less power you can rewire the device or a usb cable to
steel power for it.

you have to know if it is using some usb power already like my cannon
scanner, it has a power adapter in the wall and still draws some usb power,
not to sure why.

if your dvd drive uses more them 500ma then you can't run it on usb power
you will burn out your motherboard.

http://pinouts.ru/data/USB_pinout.shtml

that link shows the pinout for usb, if you know the pinout for the powerjack
on your dvd drive you could use a peace of cord that fits it and a spare usb
cable to make an adapter to steel usb power, or add 2 wires in side the case
and disable external power all together, or use a diode and a peace of wire
so you could safely use usb and external power.

I have never herd of adapters that could steel usb power raw for this kind
of use.

you may want to think vary carefully before you try this because you could
kill your warranty.

there I even remembered to spell check this time lol.

--

4/24/2006 9:25:46 PM
0
Chris