Continued mail server problems for all PGSQL mailing lists I'm on

I'm actually getting the mailing list mail, so I don't know what the deal is.
Successful deliveries are coming from 64.117.225.209.  But 207.173.200.206 has
big problems.  Sendmail is misconfigured in at least two ways.  DNS is not
even configured at all for reverse DNS.  I can't whitelist the sender email
addresses because spammers already use them.  I can't whitelist the IP address
because you guys keep changing them.  I can't whitelist the server domain
because the reverse DNS isn't set up yet (it takes me less than 5 minutes to
set that up).  I'm sure the list operators are experts in PostgreSQL.  I'm
not.  But at least I don't pretend to be.  Maybe you should ask some experts
in running mailing lists, mail servers, and DNS servers, to give you a hand.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

0
phil
8/9/2003 10:07:32 PM
comp.postgresql.general 5128 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Phil Howard wrote:

> I'm actually getting the mailing list mail, so I don't know what the
> deal is. Successful deliveries are coming from 64.117.225.209.  But
> 207.173.200.206 has big problems.

207.173.200.206?  We aren't using that server for relaying ... we *are*
using: 207.173.200.143, which does reverse:

%nslookup 207.173.200.143
Server:  neptune.hub.org
Address:  64.117.224.130

Name:    hosting.commandprompt.com
Address:  207.173.200.143

Joshua, are there multiple IPs on that box that he might be seeing?

scrappy
8/9/2003 10:40:24 PM
On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 07:40:24PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

| On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Phil Howard wrote:
|
| > I'm actually getting the mailing list mail, so I don't know what the
| > deal is. Successful deliveries are coming from 64.117.225.209.  But
| > 207.173.200.206 has big problems.
|
| 207.173.200.206?  We aren't using that server for relaying ... we *are*
| using: 207.173.200.143, which does reverse:
|
| %nslookup 207.173.200.143
| Server:  neptune.hub.org
| Address:  64.117.224.130
|
| Name:    hosting.commandprompt.com
| Address:  207.173.200.143
|
| Joshua, are there multiple IPs on that box that he might be seeing?

Then is 207.173.200.206 a spammer running Sendmail and faking these mailing
lists?

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |

phil
>> 207.173.200.206?  We aren't using that server for relaying ... we
>> *are* using: 207.173.200.143, which does reverse:
>> %nslookup 207.173.200.143
>> Server:  neptune.hub.org
>> Address:  64.117.224.130
>> Name:    hosting.commandprompt.com
>> Address:  207.173.200.143
>> Joshua, are there multiple IPs on that box that he might be seeing?
> Then is 207.173.200.206 a spammer running Sendmail and faking these
> mailing lists?
FWIIW server response through Telnet:
220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6/8.11.6; Sat, 9 Aug 2003
16:00:03  -0700

HansH

hartenhans
8/9/2003 11:02:18 PM
Phil Howard wrote:

>On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 07:40:24PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
>| On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Phil Howard wrote:
>|
>| > I'm actually getting the mailing list mail, so I don't know what the
>| > deal is. Successful deliveries are coming from 64.117.225.209.  But
>| > 207.173.200.206 has big problems.
>|
>| 207.173.200.206?  We aren't using that server for relaying ... we *are*
>| using: 207.173.200.143, which does reverse:
>|
>| %nslookup 207.173.200.143
>| Server:  neptune.hub.org
>| Address:  64.117.224.130
>|
>| Name:    hosting.commandprompt.com
>| Address:  207.173.200.143
>|
>| Joshua, are there multiple IPs on that box that he might be seeing?
>
>Then is 207.173.200.206 a spammer running Sendmail and faking these mailing
>lists?

206 is another one of our machines, which I am requesting they fix the
reverse mapping. Different machine, different purpose.

Not sure why/how you shoud be getting any issues from that machine on
this list.

Can you forward me the email that was sent to you from said ip?

Thanks,

Robby

--
Robby Russell,  |  Sr. Administrator / Lead Programmer
Command Prompt, Inc.   |  http://www.commandprompt.com

rrussell
8/9/2003 11:11:45 PM
--98e8jtXdkpgskNou

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 08:05:58PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Phil Howard wrote:
> > Then is 207.173.200.206 a spammer running Sendmail and faking these mai=
ling
> > lists?
>=20
> My first guess is that the machine we are using @ CommandPrompt as a relay
> point has multiple IPs on it, and the outbound IP is being seen as 206,
> while we're sending i through 143 ...

FWIW, the headers of your email contain the following:

From pgsql-general-owner+M46851=3Dkleptog=3Dsvana.org@postgresql.org Sun Au=
g 10 09:27:21 2003
        by hosting.commandprompt.com (8.11.6/8.11.6) with ESMTP id h79NRAK0=
9068
        for <kleptog@svana.org>; Sat, 9 Aug 2003 16:27:13 -0700

Hope this helps,
--=20
> "All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good
> men to do nothing." - Edmond Burke
> "The penalty good people pay for not being interested in politics is to be
> governed by people worse than themselves." - Plato

--98e8jtXdkpgskNou

--98e8jtXdkpgskNou--

0
kleptog
8/10/2003 1:08:42 AM
>207.173.200.206?  We aren't using that server for relaying ... we *are*
>using: 207.173.200.143, which does reverse:
>
>%nslookup 207.173.200.143
>Server:  neptune.hub.org
>Address:  64.117.224.130
>
>Name:    hosting.commandprompt.com
>Address:  207.173.200.143
>
>Joshua, are there multiple IPs on that box that he might be seeing?

Yes it is because it is behind a firewall. See my other response. For
some reason our reverse DNS
request is being delayed. I actually made the request the same day you
made yours (usually it is same day).
I will double check with them on Monday.

jd

Problem with mails from mailing lists
The details: A DMZ server with a real domain name and ip. Distro is Debian unstable, Sendmail version is 8.13.4 and kernel is 2.6.10. Server is also MX for the domain. All mail for the domain goes to 1 user and fetchmail POP3's the mail to the internal Exchange 2003 server. The config files: /etc/mail/sendmail.mc define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.11-5 2004-04-22 15:43:34 cowboy Exp $') OSTYPE(`debian')dnl DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl LOCAL_CONFIG FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/...

I'm looking for a new server to host a few mailing lists.
Hello! I am a list-owner of several popular science discussion lists (about meteorities, mineralogy, chemistry, mushrooms, and LexOS project (law open source)). The server pengus.net where my lists are hosted is going to be decommisioned. Therefore I am looking for a new server for my lists. If you could host my lists (all or some of them at least) along with their web pages free of charge I would be most grateful. I would need the Mailman program (http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/ ) to be installed on your server (if you still haven't one installed), and to have a full access under...

How preventing external mail from using internal 'mailing list'
Hello, I use /etc/mail/aliases to create 'manual' mailing list like all-enterprise, marketing-enterprise and specify some unix accounts. I would prevent external user (with different domain name) to use this local mailing list. For exemple : ok@domain.com can use all-entreprise@domain.com, but ko@else.com can't use all-enterprise.com. Is there any config to do this ? philippe.carbonnier wrote: > Hello, > > I use /etc/mail/aliases to create 'manual' mailing list like > all-enterprise, marketing-enterprise and specify some unix accounts. > I would preven...

list/sequence problem: a 'keep' list to a list of 'kept' lists
I have a list of Booleans, indicating whether prior values in sequence are to be 'kept'. I want to generate a list of accumulated 'kept' positions for each position in the sequence. The following code works, but I would love to see a cleaner, more obivous approach. Anyone? In[]= keepPrior= {False,True,False,True,False,False,True,True,True,False,True}; keptPriors=Function[aclist,If[Split[aclist][[-1,1]]==True,Range[Length [aclist]-Length[Split[aclist][[-1]]],Length[aclist]],{Length [aclist]}]]/@Rest[FoldList[Append,{},keepPrior]]; TableForm[Transpose[{keepPrior,ToString/@keptPriors}],TableHeadings-> {Automatic,None}] Out[]= 1 False {1} 2 True {1, 2} 3 False {3} 4 True {3, 4} 5 False {5} 6 False {6} 7 True {6, 7} 8 True {6, 7, 8} 9 True {6, 7, 8, 9} 10 False {10} 11 True {10, 11} Hi, assume p and d are prior-vector and data: p = {False, True, False, True, False, False, True, True, True, False, True}; d = Table[i, {i, Length[p]}]; we then construct data items {dat,boolean} and put them in a list:{{dat,boolean}. Next we apply repeatedly a rule that considers two neighbours and appends the left neighbor to the list of the right one if the right list consists of one item with boolean value of True. Last, we pick out the data values: t = t //. {x1 : ___, x2 : {__}, x3 : {{_, True}}, x4___} :> {x1, x2, Append[x2, x3[[1]]], x4} ; t[[All, All, 1]] hope t...

mail() '-' problem
Hi I have I problem with a function that send out mail. It works with every email-adresses except those containing "-". I have severeal groups of emails, and it send mail to every group except one, who has a mail adress with "-". In this group, no one recieve mail. Tor if (isset($_POST['send_post'])) { $epostliste=""; $epostgruppe[]=""; $sql = "SELECT * FROM grupper"; $resultat = mysql_query($sql, $tilkobling); while ($rad =mysql_fetch_array($resultat) ) { if (isset($_POST[$rad['kode']])) { $epostgruppe[]=$rad[&#...

I'm too stupid for mailing lists.
Usenet is a toilet. It is the bastion, a place of last refuge to the unwanted. This is the place of kooks and fanatics. That is why the smart people have mailing lists and those with brash personalities are banished to Usenet. It is no wonder that people with no lives argue over something as silly as an OS. The real people who actually use and create linux are on Mailing Lists. There is no "linux kernel developer" newsgroup! As a matter of fact, in the mailing lists there aren't any debates as stupid as the ones found on Usenet. On KLM for example, there may be a debate on ...

How to find Mail server and sender's mail id automatically ?
Hello there How can I automatically detect mail server confiured on local machine by programmtically ? Is there any way to find out mail server ! As well as I want to find the mail address of sender automatically ( whihc is configured for MS Outlook) My aim is to send mail using one component. But I just don't want to ask user to type mail server and his mail id ( From : --- ). My program would automate this job, choose correct mail server and send the mail. On 27 Feb 2005 23:12:52 -0800, ajay.sonawane@gmail.com wrote: >Hello there >How can I automatically detect mail ...

[newbie] how to do a mailing list without a mailing list manager
hi, i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file like : all-my-users " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users" i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static) because when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the list_of_all_my_users file i think i can do that with a script that generate the file (updated by cron for example) BUT do you know a another solution as a function that tells to send mail to all the users of the computer ? thanks Fabrice Fabrice CANDAU wrote: > i read that we can do a simpl...

restrict mailing list senders to mailing list subscribers?
Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. joe wrote: > Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the > recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be > only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. Search for "protected recipients". Grant. . . . Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? On 04/29/10 07:32, joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. You are welcome. > That solve half my problem. :-| > This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this > setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? If I understand you correctly (which it is entirely possible that I'm mis-understanding you) you are wanting to have a way to protect a subset of your local aliases. Correct? (Presuming yes.) I don't think there is a way for Sendmail to break the alias list in to multiple pieces. Even if you could, what would that gain you? Sendmail will still have to check each recipient if it is protected or not. Grant. . . . joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found > > http://www.sendmail...

Mail 2.1, two PBG4s, synchronizing mail and mail problems
Here's the sitch: PBG4 w/broken screen, running an external (duh) Samsung monitor. This is my shop PB, it's currently masquerading as an immobile desktop. PBG4 all fixy-fix. Mostly keep at home, but also on the road. LaCie 320GB external Firewire drive. backup at shop (used Migration Assistant to copy the shop PB's system (10.4.7), apps, and docs to the FireWire drive) Two mail accounts -- one on each PB -- both of which accounts dump into Mail 2.1, on both PBs. With me so far? *I'm* already lost... Problem one: Is there a way -- besides signing up with .Mac -- that I can synchronize the mail on both machines? Failing that, is there a way -- besides doing it message-by-message -- to save the text and attachments from new mail messages? Problem two: Though by all means I can understand, both PBs are set up exactly the same way and certainly the mail prefs are the same, when I click on an HTML link in a message on my PB at home, it opens Firefox to the correct page, just like it ought to do, but if I click on an HTML link in a message on my PB at the shop, the mail window flashes once, but nothing opens. Both PBs are set up with Firefox as the default browser. What in the ding-dong am I doing wrong? Thanks! Bart Brown ...

How to hightlight the mail from mailing lists
Hello everyone. I have lots mails from a mailing list (lets take help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for example). So I want to have a clearer view of them. I've looked up the manual already, seems that I should add this to my .muttrc: color index foreground background pattern But what does "pattern" mean? Should I replaced it with the address or a regexp or something else? Thanks a lot. -- Fear is the path to the Darkside. Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to suffering. Corsair wrote: > What does "pattern" mean in "color i...

problem to delete a mail in Mail
Hello i'm using Mail 1.2.5 i have a problem with a mail... when i select it, Mail is searching for something and it never stops... so i have to shut down Mail :( how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... thanks FabienM ...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

Apple Mail; mail doesn't get to server to be "saved"
I'm still one of those increasingly few AOL users (got kids). Have had the account since '95. Anyway, when I got cable access at work, I decided to use my Mac Mini in the office to not only access my work email, but also the AOL account which I use at home for personal stuff. Running Tiger 10.4.7 and Apple Mail on both systems (G4 at home). Things worked fine for months; I simply configured the Mail application to access my office mail server and also my AOL account, which is IMAP. I only use AOL at home. When I use Mail at work, I still get all of my normal AOL mail. I think that wha...

How to set mail server to pass internet mail to other server for processing?
Dear Guys, My SendMail Server is currently being setup to send & receive mail locally only. How could I set the mail server so that it would pass internet mail to other server for processing. FYI, I am using SendMail v8.12.11 & I am new to SendMail. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, CL "CL" <cl@xtreamys.com> wrote in message news:416b307d$1_1@news.tm.net.my > My SendMail Server is currently being setup to send & receive mail > locally only. How could I set the mail server so that it would pass > internet mail to other server for processing. FYI...

why: 'You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root' ?
This annoying message seems to be associated with the times when <cr> won't run mc-selected executables. The error mesg. is in that case something about 'shell is already running'. Examining the file shows the mail as being from 'Mail Delivery subsystem - daemon'. Some looks like being potentially usefull for debugging purtposes. I've got [only dial up] on this FC1 box; so where's the mail being sent from ? Can/should I disable this stuff ? Does the file 'roll-over' or fill up to infinity ? Thanks for any info, == Chris Glur. It's mail from y...

Mail list program request-- where can I find a mail list with these features?
For a group mail list, I'm looking for the following features-- a combination of features I've not found in search engine listings: 1.) Freeware 2.) Runs on Windows 98 plus newer versions 3.) Installs to and runs on a bootable cd rom 4.) Writes transportable comma delimited email file to floppy disk or cdrw for update or retrieval to common mail progs such at Outlook, Eudora or Thunderbird.. List can be sent as an attachment to load into Outlook Express or Thunderbird. ...

What is the 'rejected mail hosts' list
Hi, I'm in my first week of trying out FreeBSD and have a quick question about the daily run outputs that get mailed to root. Can someone clarify what the 'rejected mail hosts' output is for. Is this rejecting relaying through my server by the sender, or something else? Also, I'm presuming they just get some denied use/access message when attempting to use my mail server?. Hopefully this isn't a sign that I've not secured my box properly yet :( In case people are wondering what I'm relating to, this is the output from the relevant section of my 'daily run output' email: >>Checking for rejected mail hosts: >> 1 so-net.net.tw TIA! In article <3251ovF3gasvuU1@individual.net>, ^V^ <vampyre99@hotmail.com> wrote: > > >Hi, I'm in my first week of trying out FreeBSD and have a quick question >about the daily run outputs that get mailed to root. Can someone >clarify what the 'rejected mail hosts' output is for. Is this rejecting >relaying through my server by the sender, or something else? Also, I'm >presuming they just get some denied use/access message when attempting >to use my mail server?. Hopefully this isn't a sign that I've not >secured my box properly yet :( >In case people are wondering what I'm relating to, this is the output >from the relevant section of my 'daily run output' email: > ...

Mail merge doesn't mail and/or doesn't merge
Mail merge doesn't mail and/or doesn't merge With me at least it doesn't. We are getting too many false positives on our bcc-mailing lists, so I decided to give the mail merge feature in PM 4.41 a go. The goal was to simultaneously send messages addressed to multiple recipients. I made a csv file containing nine of my own addresses in a column called ~kemail~, made this the data file, checked the box for the first field to be the fieldname and sent the email with the string ~kemail~ in the address box. I also attached a pdf file. PM reported a successful transaction, b...

Why is SpamWatch is junking my mail from a mailing list?
Just in the last couple of days, Eudora 6.0 has been assigning spam scores of 99 to all the mail from a certain mailing list I subscribe to. I went into the UserJunkDB.txt file and removed all references to the mailing list title, then rescored a bunch of the mail from that list and it still posted it at a score of 99. I "unjunked" the messages, and when I recalculated the scores, they still came up at 99. Apparently some keyword gets them marked as spam. Any ideas how I can determine what words in a message get it marked as spam? Along the same lines, is there any way to create a log file of what filters cause a message to do what it does? Ideally, there would be a record of the message Sender, Subject and what rule(s) it fired. Thanks, Jay Shilstone James Shilstone <shilstone.jay@shilstone.com> wrote: > Just in the last couple of days, Eudora 6.0 has been assigning spam > scores of 99 to all the mail from a certain mailing list I subscribe > to. I went into the UserJunkDB.txt file and removed all references to > the mailing list title, then rescored a bunch of the mail from that > list and it still posted it at a score of 99. I "unjunked" the > messages, and when I recalculated the scores, they still came up at > 99. Apparently some keyword gets them marked as spam. Any ideas how I > can determine what words in a message get it marked as spam? Does you ISP do any spam filtering that puts x-header...

Save mail to mailing list mailbox?
Is there a way to save all email for a mailing list to a mailbox with the name of the mailing list? Thanks. Dave Feustel dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote: > Is there a way to save all email for a mailing list to a mailbox with > the name of the mailing list? I use fcc-save-hooks for this, one for each mailing list, e.g., fcc-save-hook '~t "mutt-dev"' +Lists/mutt-dev fcc-save-hook '~t "mutt-users"' +Lists/mutt-users -- Gary Johnson Gary Johnson <garyjohn@eskimo.com> wrote: > dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote: >>...

Synchronize Apple Mail with Mail Server?
My DSL was out for a couple of days, so I had to take my iBook to the local coffee shops to connect to the Internet. I used a web interface to send my POP email account at Earthlink. Now I'm wondering if there's any way to get Apple Mail to retrieve the emails I sent, and store them in my Sent Mail folder. Is there a way to do that? Thanks in advance for any info. In article <vikr-1EE776.17564418082006@news.west.earthlink.net>, Vik Rubenfeld <vikr@mindspring.com.invalid> wrote: > My DSL was out for a couple of days, so I had to take my iBook to the > local co...

Web Mail Interface for My Mail Server
Hi guys, I was wondering if someone can help me out here. I am running hmailserver on windows xp and i would like to setup a webmail interface on my server so that my users dont have to use outlook to check emails and can just use thier browsers to do so. I was wondering is there any free plug in available to do something like this? I googled it but everything is php scripts etc and nothing seem to be the right thing. Thanks a lot guys!!!. ...

Web resources about - Continued mail server problems for all PGSQL mailing lists I'm on - comp.postgresql.general

Generalized continued fraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
} approaches a limit the continued fraction is convergent and has a definite value. If the sequence of convergents never approaches a limit the ...

A Continued Commitment to Security
This Friday is Data Privacy Day, an international effort by governments, businesses and advocacy groups to raise awareness about the importance ...

Vincent Kompany broke his nose, but continued playing (Belgium-Serbia)
He played 1 hour with a concussion, broken nose and a fractured eye socket! Respect! My apologies for the bad quality.

Cricket Australia to review their continued flops on foreign pitches
Australia have won four out of five of their past Test series on home soil, but have been thrashed in away series against India, Pakistan and ...

EXCLUSIVE: Avaya promises continued channel investments (+40 photos)
Avaya Australia and New Zealand (A/NZ) managing director, Tim Gentry, has promised to continue the communications solutions vendor's heavy channel ...

Don KRC defends continued use of 'backpacker' visas
Don KR Castlemaine says it has no choice but to hire workers on the 417 backpacker visa.

Hot October, dry winter leads to continued water shortage in WA dams
Watercorp says there is continued trend of less water going into WA's dams, which are now holding less than three quarters of the water they ...

Hockey warns on continued Senate blockage
Treasurer Joe Hockey has warned that Australia risks facing higher taxes if the Senate keeps blocking the government's spending cuts.

Alleged drug syndicate continued work despite raid
A Gold Coast drug syndicate wasn't fazed by police raiding one of its alleged safehouses, and reportedly continued to smuggle cannabis through ...

Data Centre Consolidation Restructures Your IT Costs for Continued Growth