Hello folks,

I have the following problem:

I have a bunch of text files, I want to load them into a table where each
file will be stored in one row.

Question 1: Is there any way how to do this in psql?

AFAIK the \copy command interprets \n as a new line and so I can't get it
done what I want. So I wrote a C program that parses my text files and
anywhere it sees a \n it puts \\n and then concatenates the files, etc. -
quite complicated.

Question 2: Is there a simpler way of doing this?

Thanks in advance

Zoltan

bartko
4/2/2004 5:17:14 AM
comp.postgresql.general 5128 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

hi,

BARTKO, Zoltan wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I have the following problem:
>
> I have a bunch of text files, I want to load them into a table where each
> file will be stored in one row.
>
> Question 1: Is there any way how to do this in psql?
>
> AFAIK the \copy command interprets \n as a new line and so I can't get it
> done what I want. So I wrote a C program that parses my text files and
> anywhere it sees a \n it puts \\n and then concatenates the files, etc. -
> quite complicated.
>
> Question 2: Is there a simpler way of doing this?

you can make a plperlu, untrested perl function, which reads the entire
file, than:
insert into table (text) values (plperufunction('/path/to/file'));

C.
0
CoL