text + text

What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? It doesn't seem very
useful to me. What about making "text + text" as an equivalent for "text
|| text"? Most strongly-typed programming languages do this. And MS SQL
Server too, I think (CMIIW).

--
dave

lists
10/8/2004 10:57:05 AM
comp.postgresql.general 5128 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2004 12:57 schrieb David Garamond:
> What is "text + text" supposed to do right now?

Nothing.

> What about making "text + text" as an equivalent for "text
> || text"? Most strongly-typed programming languages do this. And MS SQL
> Server too, I think (CMIIW).

What would this gain except for bloat?  It's not like SQL is utterly
compatible with any programming language; users will still have to learn all
the operators anyway.

--
Peter Eisentraut

      joining column's datatypes do not match

0
peter_e
10/8/2004 12:41:23 PM
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>What is "text + text" supposed to do right now?
>
> Nothing.

Then are these bugs? (7.4.5 and 8.0.0beta1 give same results). Frankly,
the current behaviour is quite strange to me.

------------------
=# select coalesce('1'+'0','NULL');
=# select coalesce('1'+'1','NULL');
=# select coalesce('1'+'3','NULL');
=# select coalesce('a'+'0','NULL');

=# select coalesce('a'+'1','NULL');

=# select coalesce('a'+'3','NULL');

=# select coalesce('a'+'x','NULL');
  �
------------------

>>What about making "text + text" as an equivalent for "text
>>Server too, I think (CMIIW).
>
> What would this gain except for bloat?  It's not like SQL is utterly
> compatible with any programming language; users will still have to learn all
> the operators anyway.

I personally don't consider this "bloat". We already have other synonyms
  like '!=' and '<>'. '+' is very natural to mean concatenation for strings.

Anyway, either emitting an error or string concatenation is better than
the current behaviour, I think.

--
dave

lists
10/8/2004 1:16:45 PM
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, David Garamond wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >>What is "text + text" supposed to do right now?
> >
> > Nothing.
>
> Then are these bugs? (7.4.5 and 8.0.0beta1 give same results). Frankly,
> the current behaviour is quite strange to me.
>
> ------------------
> =# select coalesce('1'+'0','NULL');

That isn't text+text.  It's "char"+"char". "char" is a rather bizarre type
being partially 1 byte integer and partially 1 character string and it
causes strange behaviors like the above where I believe it's taking the
first bytes of the '1' and '0' and adding them together. I think Tom was
talking about removing the math operators from it so that things like the
above don't happen.

sszabo
10/8/2004 1:31:31 PM
David Garamond <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> writes:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> What is "text + text" supposed to do right now?
>>
>> Nothing.

> Then are these bugs? (7.4.5 and 8.0.0beta1 give same results). Frankly,
> the current behaviour is quite strange to me.

CVS tip gives

regression=# select coalesce('1'+'0','NULL');
ERROR:  operator is not unique: "unknown" + "unknown"
HINT:  Could not choose a best candidate operator. You may need to add explicit type casts.
regression=#

See http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-10/msg00041.php

			regards, tom lane

tgl

text-text

Encryption from text to text...
I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into another form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out there? Thanks. In article <418f03f8@news.starhub.net.sg>, Kelvin <thefatcat28@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. You can look on CPAN (<http://search.cpan.org>) for various Crypt:: modules. FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:35:46 +0800, Kelvin wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. I'm not sure how secure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decode, (there's 26 letters). Not secure, but nice easy and simple.mine not sure how sercure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decoed, (theres 26 letters). Not sercure, but nice easy and simple. -- Andre...

Pages

text 2 text

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter...

Why does $TEXT() not return text?
I am looking at a file I have created named TMGUSRI2.m This is with GT.M 6.2-002A Here is a stat of the .m file and the .o file kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EHR/p$ stat TMGUSRI2.m File: `TMGUSRI2.m' Size: 19171 Blocks: 40 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 821h/2081d Inode: 705008 Links: 1 Access: (0744/-rwxr--r--) Uid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Gid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Access: 2015-08-10 20:50:51.000000000 -0400 Modify: 2015-06-23 20:23:12.000000000 -0400 Change: 2015-06-23 20:23:11.000000000 -0400 Birth: - kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EH...

Unbound text box, text>255, MS Access/PostgreSQL
Hello. I have the following problem with MS Access/PostgreSQL combination: There is a form in Access that has an unbound text box, used for entering a commentary of a batch of records. There is a DAO Append Query that has a parameter that is passed from the text box using parameter of DAO QueryDef object. I adjusted B7 parameter (Text as LongVarchar) in connection string (ODBC driver) to 1, so that Access links PostgreSQL Text fields as Memo fields in Access. The intention was to be able to enter unlimited length commentary into the field. But, although I can enter unlimited text by using...

Reading Text File, Text Scrolling and erase line from a text file
Hi , How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text file , when press "F2" key? Best Regards, Lidia from Poland -- ========================================= Pozdrawiam Lidiaa Lidiaa schrieb: > Hi , > > How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of > keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text > file , when press "F2" key? > > ...

Overloading || ( text,text ) operator
Hi, I was trying to overload concat operator ||(text,text) such a way that it behaves like Oracle. i.e. I want 'abc' || null to return 'abc' instead of null. I know that it is not the expected behaviour in postgres, but since I am migrating the database from oracle to postgres , I need this behaviour. But when I try to drop the existing || operator, I get the following error ERROR: cannot drop operator ||(text,text) because it is required by the database system Also I cannot modify the application which runs over the database. Hence I cannot overload || (var...

\pubid text overlaps with text
Hello, While using the IEEEtrans file, I put the \pubid{0000--0000/00\$00.00~\copyright~2005} before the \maketitle as directed. However, the body of the text over laps with the pubid text. What I am doing wrong? Thanks. ...

matrix and text to a text file
Hi, I know some similar question have been solved before but I have been reading for a while and I didn't find the answer of my question so, I ask you. I want to create a text-file (.txt) where I will have some text and some matrixs. The format that i want is something like that: -Title- Name1. Name2. power(dbm): big matrix (12000X400) aprox frequency(hz) vector(1x12) aprox So, i created a m-file that can do this writing with fprintf every single character on the file using lots of for loops. It works good but if the matrix is that size it could take a time (about 7 min...

Text in images to a text file
Hello, Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up on a web site but as text. Darren <bobblebob@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151612491.407262.124690@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com > Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in > images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend > to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up > on a web site but as text....

Text recognition and Text to speech
I'm working on a project for Blind assistance using OCR and TTS . if you can help with the CODES needed for both phases of text recognition and text to speech conversion ...

rich text in text field

raw text, source text?
I have two people who write me using Gmail and the format of the emails I get is bad. It has capital �'s all over the place. I can't tell the pattern. At the end of most llines and other places. It can't send an apostrophe correctly. Instead it looks like �tm And something it sends looks like ·� � � � � � �, Maybe this is just more A's but what it looks like in my email is some Germanic R with a big dot next and 6 tiny �'s that look like the surf coming in. Once a month ago the email from one sender came in looking good, but he told me...

Text Color in Copied Text
I use Mathematica for all my class notes, and occasionally copy things from code editors that use color to highlight different constructs. In an earlier version (probably 5.2) the color highlighting copied over when I pasted it into a Text cell, but now this doesn't happen - all b/w. I don't see any way around this. Any ideas? Thanks, Kevin ...

Selecting text in a text box
When I attempt to select text in a text box, the text from the cursor position to the end of the text is instantly selected as soon as I click the mouse down. There seems to be no way to select just a small portion of the text in a text box. This seems pretty basic. What am I missing? I'm using Access 97 on an XP system. Steve Richfield First, (I don't remember if this is an option in 97) check Tools|Options|Keyboard tab, Behavior Entering Field. This setting will adjust the behavior for all forms and controls. Next, you would need to click at the start of the area you want to hi...

Flowing text around text
Hi all, Could please someone tell me how to get text flowing around a framed piece of text with colored background? Something like: text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text ----------------------------------------------- text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | | text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | ...

Fit text in a Text Box
Hello friends, I have a curious doubt, imagine I have a text box, and inside, a text that I dont know the lenght. Depending on the box's size and letter's size, I can fit the box. But the box's size is fixed, so I just can modify the size's letter. How can I be right with letter's size, if I dont know the lenght of string (text)? Is there any simple function for this case? Thanks in advance, greetings. Pedro Moreno On 10-08-31 04:25 PM, pedro moreno wrote: > I have a curious doubt, imagine I have a text box, and inside, a text > that I dont know the lenght. Depe...

highlight text in text widget
Hi, I am trying to make widget that displays text. I also want a search keywords available. The way I have envisioned is something similar to emacs search, i.e. it highlights all the occurrences of the keyword that you are interested in. I am trying to find out if that kind of highlighting be done in widget_text or some other widgets. Can anyone help? Thanks neon writes: > I am trying to make widget that displays text. I also want a search > keywords available. The way I have envisioned is something similar to > emacs search, i.e. it highlights all the occurrences of the keyword &g...

text in a widget, text-widget
hello i have an application with a couple of text widgets but i would like to add some functionalities that at first and second sight are not directly supported by the plain text widget itself - ? for example i would like certain lines of text within the textwidget to take different background colors according to certain parameters also i would like to be able to detect certain sentences or words that would become 'links' and by clicking them i would open up different windows any suggestions to solutions and widgets for the above problems ? - i probably could...

Highlighy text in Text Box
Using an InputBox, there is the option to *suggest* text (Default). It appears highlighted and can be accepted or replaced by the user. I am attempting to create my own input form which has one Text Box, one command button (cmdAccept ) and a simple label to tell the user to make an entry. What I cannot do is to mimic that suggested default input string. Can someone show me how to do it? The following code is from a test program with two forms. '#### this is on FrmMain Private Sub Option1_Click() ' Other Event selected - 14 character maximum With FrmBGOther ...

text file not mac text
please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. I remember 'forked files' but no details...... Is there a II utilty to 'convert' a mac text file to acceptable II ascii text? thanks. cornelio <cornelio@san.rr.com> wrote: > please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII > text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. > I remember 'forked files' but no details...... > > Is there a II utilty to '...

Web resources about - text + text - comp.postgresql.general

Text - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shaun Kenny-Dowall texts: The explicit messages to and from Jessica Peris - DailyTelegraph Search Search ...
HE scolded her for taking cocaine, accused her of cheating on him and threatened to throw her out of his house.

Henry Gray, author of famous anatomy text, may have been big fat cheat
The history of Gray's famous text may reveal the anatomy of a jerk. (credit: Public Domain ) Gray’s Anatomy is easily recognized worldwide as ...

Texts from Hillary and Weekend at Bernie’s
The great state of Florida holds its primary elections a week from today. I got a text from Team Hillary this afternoon asking about my plans ...

Get Free Unlimited Talk and Text Using Google Voice and Hangouts
Google voice is a service that gives you a free phone number and Google hangouts is an application that lets you use your number to send text ...

Copy unselectable text to the clipboard with Textify
It’s a common PC problem. A dialog box appears with some key data, you need to copy it to the clipboard, but the text isn’t selectable, so you're ...

Eva Amurri fired a nanny for sending a sexy text to her husband, Kyle Martino
... being “untruthful … in a major way,” she found herself betrayed by another woman in whose care she’d placed her daughter. The reason: a text ...

Gwyneth Paltrow Sings Your Awkward Flirty Texts with Jimmy Fallon
​Unfortunately, those&nbsp;regrettable&nbsp;texts you sent&nbsp;still sound&nbsp;just as embarrassing when sung.&nbsp;​

Gwyneth Paltrow and Jimmy Fallon Sing About 'Manboobs' During Awkward Romantic Text Message Skit
Gwyneth Paltrow and Jimmy Fallon Sing About 'Manboobs' During Awkward Romantic Text Message Skit

Full text of Arun Jaitley's Budget 2016 speech
Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presented his third budget, and his big ticket reforms focused primarily on the rural and farm sectors, providing ...