Upgrading 7.3 to 7.3.3

We've had a 7.3 PG installation running for awhile now, and would like
to upgrade to 7.3.3. The doc implies that you can do something other
than dump your existing database, set up the new installation, and
reload the dump, if you're upgrading within the 7.3 'line.' But after
looking around for awhile, I don't see any guidance on how to do this.

Is it anything more than moving the existing installation out of the
way, installing the new one in the usual way, then copying the old
PGDATA directory? (Instead of doing the initdb.) That would certainly
save some time: creating/reloading multiGbyte dump files takes awhile.

Any help with this would be appreciated!

                     Thanks,
                     Rich Cullingford
                     rculling@sysd.com

      joining column's datatypes do not match

0
rculling
7/1/2003 11:03:35 PM
comp.postgresql.general 5128 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 07:03:35PM -0400, Rich Cullingford wrote:
> We've had a 7.3 PG installation running for awhile now, and would like
> to upgrade to 7.3.3. The doc implies that you can do something other
> than dump your existing database, set up the new installation, and
> reload the dump, if you're upgrading within the 7.3 'line.' But after
> looking around for awhile, I don't see any guidance on how to do this.

Well, it's quite simple: stop the postmaster, do a "make install" (or
whatever your system uses, maybe rpm -U), then restart the postmaster
again.

"Aprender sin pensar es inutil; pensar sin aprender, peligroso" (Confucio)

alvherre