Database variables when copying a database

Hi,

When you do this:

CREATE DATABASE test TEMPLATE master;

It doesn't copy any per-database GUC variables,  created by the ALTER
DATABASE master SET var TO val; command.

Should it?

Chris

chriskl
5/21/2004 8:29:35 AM
comp.postgresql.hackers 2733 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Anyone thought about this at all yet?  Is it possible to have
per-database variables that refer to the current database in someway
that would need to be altered to refer to the new db?

Chris

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When you do this:
>
> CREATE DATABASE test TEMPLATE master;
>
> It doesn't copy any per-database GUC variables,  created by the ALTER
> DATABASE master SET var TO val; command.
>
> Should it?
>
> Chris

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

0
chriskl
> Anyone thought about this at all yet?

It seems to me that we shouldn't copy them, but I'm having a hard time
putting a finger on why exactly.  I guess it goes along with the fact
that we don't copy the database's owner, and any per-database variable
settings seem to me to be the database owner's decision to make.

Also I refer you to the point made in the manual that CREATE DATABASE is
not intended to be a COPY DATABASE facility.

			regards, tom lane

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

0
tgl
5/22/2004 5:02:09 PM
> It seems to me that we shouldn't copy them, but I'm having a hard time
> putting a finger on why exactly.  I guess it goes along with the fact
> that we don't copy the database's owner, and any per-database variable
> settings seem to me to be the database owner's decision to make.

Good points.  The reason I ran into this is because I basically did use
it as a copy database command to make a development copy of an in-use
database for a developer to mess with.  However, somethings turned out
to be broken as it had lost the custom search_path we had set on the
database that made stuff work.

It occurred to me that it was probably somethign that had not been
thought of when db variables were invented, rather than somethign
deliberately avoided.

Chris

      joining column's datatypes do not match

0
chriskl

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

How many times can we see the same request from someone who wants to access data from a 'pick' database through what has come to be 'standard' practices (odbc, oledb) and still get the same old sloppy ' buy this proprietary utility (and above all, my services)' answer. I think most of these pick flavors should have some sort of layer (by now!) to handle this; If someone needs to do this, the service is really 'education' i.e to show them how. Lets cut the shit now and stop with this tired and silly BS and sad marketing schlock. Regards, -Jim ...

Database copy -- recover database question
I am coping SAP/Oracle database R3Q to Q02, For R3Q: SQL> connect / as sysdba Connected. SQL> alter system switch logfile; (4 times, we have 2 groups , 2 memebers per group) System altered. SQL> alter database backup controlfile to trace; SQL> shutdown Database closed. Database dismounted. ORACLE instance shut down. For Q02: Copy all database & online redo logs to correcponding destination directory. CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "Q02" RESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG -- SET STANDBY TO MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE MAXLOGFILES 255 MAXLOGMEMBERS 3 MAXDATAFILES 254 ...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril On 10 Aug 2004, jewelk@free.fr wrote: > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a > sqlserver 2000 database. A few options exist. If this is one-off, just use sqlldr to drop the data to a file and then bcp to get it into SQLServer. > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, ...

Web resources about - Database variables when copying a database - comp.postgresql.hackers

Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been a hard year'
... 41° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been ...