huffman coding

    Can someone show me a quick example of what huffman coding does in C ? I
am going to continue learning this subject.

Bill

0
nospam116 (1225)
11/4/2008 3:56:22 AM
comp.programming 11491 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

"Bill Cunningham" <nospam@nspam.invalid> wrote in message
>    Can someone show me a quick example of what huffman coding does in C ?
> I am going to continue learning this subject.
>
> Bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffman_coding

0
bcb (65)
11/4/2008 4:26:58 AM
"Bill Cunningham" <nospam@nspam.invalid> writes:

>     Can someone show me a quick example of what huffman coding does in C ? I
> am going to continue learning this subject.
Start at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffman_coding

get C code at:
http://huffman.sourceforge.net/

Regards
Friedrich

--
Please remove just-for-news- to reply via e-mail.
On Nov 3, 10:56=A0pm, "Bill Cunningham" <nos...@nspam.invalid> wrote:
> =A0 =A0 Can someone show me a quick example of what huffman coding does i=
n C ? I
> am going to continue learning this subject.
>
> Bill

Another example of my own,
http://www.telegraphics.com.au/svn/huffman/trunk/
0
toby23 (1177)
11/4/2008 6:06:19 PM
Bill Cunningham wrote:

> Can someone show me a quick example of what huffman coding does
> in C ? I am going to continue learning this subject.

It has nothing to do with C specifically.  It is simply an
algorithm, and there are various versions of it.  It is one method
of compressing data without losing any bits.

            Try the download section.
0
cbfalconer (19194)
11/4/2008 11:01:58 PM
"toby" <toby@telegraphics.com.au> wrote in message

Another example of my own,
http://www.telegraphics.com.au/svn/huffman/trunk/

    Thanks for your example toby. May I post a copy of your code if I need
any help with the C semantics? Of course I will give you credit.

Bill

0
nospam116 (1225)
11/5/2008 2:05:17 AM
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 18:01:58 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

> Bill Cunningham wrote:
>>
>> Can someone show me a quick example of what huffman coding does
>> in C ? I am going to continue learning this subject.
>
> It has nothing to do with C specifically.  It is simply an
> algorithm, and there are various versions of it.  It is one method
> of compressing data without losing any bits.

Right, but you can read Jack Klein in 18 of unleashed and not re-invent the
wheel.  It is lossless.

I don't think I see any examples on disc.... Maybe I'm wrong.
--
George

Faith crosses every border and touches every heart in every nation.
George W. Bush

Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/
0
george730 (357)
11/7/2008 4:18:49 AM
George wrote:
> CBFalconer wrote:
>> Bill Cunningham wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone show me a quick example of what huffman coding does
>>> in C ? I am going to continue learning this subject.
>>
>> It has nothing to do with C specifically.  It is simply an
>> algorithm, and there are various versions of it.  It is one method
>> of compressing data without losing any bits.
>
> Right, but you can read Jack Klein in 18 of unleashed and not
> re-invent the wheel.  It is lossless.

That's what I said with "without losing any bits".

            Try the download section.
0
cbfalconer (19194)
11/7/2008 9:24:00 AM
"CBFalconer" wrote:

> George wrote:
>> CBFalconer wrote:

>>> It has nothing to do with C specifically.  It is simply an
>>> algorithm, and there are various versions of it.  It is one method
>>> of compressing data without losing any bits.
>>
>> Right, but you can read Jack Klein in 18 of unleashed and not
>> re-invent the wheel.  It is lossless.
>
> That's what I said with "without losing any bits".

I didn't like your clumsy explanation the first time you posted it and I
don't like it any better now. The first time, I was willing to ignore it as
normal Usenet noise.  It is essential that Bill realizes that information
and bits are two entirely different things.  The thing that is not lost in
Huffman compression is *information*.  To talk of not losing bits just
muddles the mind and is not helpful in the least.  With reasonable luck
there will be less bits an a Huffman message than in a "raw" message.

An excellent introductory, lucid and interesting book on the subject is
_Silicon Dreams_ by Robert W. Lucky

0
r124c4u1022 (2303)
11/7/2008 2:08:02 PM
On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 08:08:02 -0600, osmium wrote:

> "CBFalconer" wrote:
>
>> George wrote:

>>> Right, but you can read Jack Klein in 18 of unleashed and not
>>> re-invent the wheel.  It is lossless.
>>
>> That's what I said with "without losing any bits".
>
> I didn't like your clumsy explanation the first time you posted it and I
> don't like it any better now. The first time, I was willing to ignore it as
> normal Usenet noise.  It is essential that Bill realizes that information
> and bits are two entirely different things.  The thing that is not lost in
> Huffman compression is *information*.  To talk of not losing bits just
> muddles the mind and is not helpful in the least.  With reasonable luck
> there will be less bits an a Huffman message than in a "raw" message.
>
> An excellent introductory, lucid and interesting book on the subject is
> _Silicon Dreams_ by Robert W. Lucky

That sounds good.  I have to diet with the books I order about computers,
as my appetite would soon outstrip my means.  I've been chewing the cud
lately with unleashed, and as I was expecting to be embroiled in a national
fight about "what constititutes filling in an oval" right now, I studied
the treatment of faxes.

The T.4 encoding that a person uses for faxes is a modified Huffman code.
Apparently, these codes sharethe following similarities:
1) All codewords are unique
2) No code word begins with the same bit sequence of s shorter word.

So imitating a fax capability with C and a printer from walmart has been my
little project lately.  The hardest part of it so far has been bridging the
gap between C and a cheapo printer that runs off windows.

I hope _Fortran 2003_ shows up in the mail today.
--
George

Only a liberal senator from Massachusetts would say that a 49 percent
increase in funding for education was not enough.
George W. Bush

Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/
0
george730 (357)

M code into programming C code or MATLAB programming code
hallo firends, Can any body help me write this below code into MATLAB object oriented or C code form please? M=50; % total number of periods. (choose for 1s duration) f0 = 50; % fundamental AC frequency T0 = 1/f0; %fundamental AC period T = M*T0; %Time for M periods (integer M) N=30; % sample points per period. dt = T0/N; % Sample at N points per period (integer N > 20) t = dt*[1:M*N-1]; % Sampling time array A0=120/2; % amplitude of AC signal. Divide by 2 or maybe sqrt (2) ? AC=A0*sin(f0*t*2*pi); % create AC signal. DC0=50; % DC amplitude DC=DC0*ones(1,length...

A quantum analog of Huffman coding vs. a Huffman coding
A quantum analog of Huffman coding has been proposed by Samuel L. Braunstein, Christopher A. Fuchs, Daniel Gottesman, Hoi-Kwong Lo (http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9805080). Is "A quantum analog of Huffman coding" a Huffman coding? -- Alex Vinokur email: alex DOT vinokur AT gmail DOT com http://mathforum.org/library/view/10978.html http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn ...

Huffman Coding and Arithmetic Coding
Hi everybody, i m trying to find somebody who ever worked on Huffman coding... Trying to use files found in File Exchange, and i ve got a lot of errors I don't understand... Please, contact me if u know stg about image compression... Thanx "amelie" <amelie.quinet@reseau.eseo.fr> wrote in message news:ef2ca1d.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > Hi everybody, > > i m trying to find somebody who ever worked on Huffman coding... > Trying to use files found in File Exchange, and i ve got a lot of > errors I don't understand... > > Please, contact me if u know...

source code in matlab for huffman coding
hi.iam in need of source code in matlab for huffman coding using the default table, i tring to write this code but i cann't write it. could you send to me function to generat huffman table without input ...

GUI Programming by hand not code with Python Code
Is their a program that lets you design a GUI by hand (like gambas) not by code (like wxpython) but the commands are in python? A program similar to gambas or vb Gambas with python code instead of gambas code would be perfect. Thanks in advance On Jul 6, 7:33=A0pm, jayjaygi...@hotmail.co.uk wrote: > Is their a program that lets you design a GUI by hand (like gambas) > not by code (like wxpython) but the commands are in python? > > A program similar to gambas or vb > > Gambas with python code instead of gambas code would be perfect. > > Thanks in advance Glade for GTK, wxGlade for wxPython. On Jul 6, 9:33=A0pm, jayjaygi...@hotmail.co.uk wrote: > Is their a program that lets you design a GUI by hand (like gambas) > not by code (like wxpython) but the commands are in python? > > A program similar to gambas or vb > > Gambas with python code instead of gambas code would be perfect. > > Thanks in advance I think Dabo also has a way to do some Visual programming too. And there's also XRC. See the following links for more info: http://dabodev.com/ http://xrced.sourceforge.net/ Mike Jason Scheirer <jason.scheirer@gmail.com>: > On Jul 6, 7:33 pm, jayjaygi...@hotmail.co.uk wrote: >> Is their a program that lets you design a GUI by hand (like gambas) >> not by code (like wxpython) but the commands are in python? >> >> A program similar to gambas or vb >> >> Gambas with python...

request for source code of adaptive huffman coding

Reusing code from SAS Program in another SAS Program
I write SAS programs on the Mainframe. I have several programming steps in multiple programs that use the same IF statements, for example. Maintenance is getting to be a problem because I may have to make the same code change in 50 different programs. I would like to write the If statement only once and read it into the appropriate data steps of the various programs. If someone could give me help on how I could do this, it would be appreciated. Keith - Store your code snippets in a PDS and then %include into your programs. For example this program includes a format called "$REGCRT...

Can we code a program that can create another program
Although it sounds like a Quine but in reality is different. The requirement is to code a parent program which when run will ask for user choices or options based on which another program will be generated. e.g. 1. Parent Program is Run 2. Asks for user options 3. User chooses Music Player 4. Asks for formats to be played 5. User chooses MP3, MP4, DAT, AVI and WMV 6. Output-> An executable file of a music player having the basic functionalities like Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Prev and Plays only MP3, MP4, DAT, AVI and WMV. Regards Smruti Yeah, why not? ...

Huffman-Code
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has ever implemented the famous Huffman-Code with Scilab. Best regards, J=FCrgen In Scilab I'm not aware of any existing implementation (apart from SIP that uses Huffman codes to compress images, probably in C) but I have not searched thoroughly. A way to go could be to translate Matlab implementations for Huffman codes, such as: http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=4900&objectType=file http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=2818&objectType=FILE Scilab has an automatic translator that should be able to do the work for you. Cheers, Francois Thanks a lot for your hint. I forgot to look at the Matlab-ressources. Have to see, if I can put those M-files to work. Have a nice weekend, J=FCrgen ...

To code or not to code?
To code or not to code, that is question! Reporting from Lotus Notes Applications has never been easy. Notes developers usually need to write reams of code to create even the simplest of reports. Check this - a single-level cross-tab report takes about 2 days of code writing! Creating reports with higher functionality only means more coding and more complexities. Is there an alternative to this? You bet there is! Introducing IntelliPRINT Reporting - a cutting-edge next generation solution for Lotus Notes reporting. It is a native Lotus Notes solution that acts as an add-on lay...

huffman code
hi, i need a computer program(MATLAB) that generates Huffman codes for a source alphabet (word file) thanx sir, ...

To code or not to code?
To code or not to code, that is question! Reporting from Lotus Notes Applications has never been easy. Notes developers usually need to write reams of code to create even the simplest of reports. Check this - a single-level cross-tab report takes about 2 days of code writing! Creating reports with higher functionality only means more coding and more complexities. Is there an alternative to this? You bet there is! Introducing IntelliPRINT Reporting - a cutting-edge next generation solution for Lotus Notes reporting. It is a native Lotus Notes solution that acts as an add-on lay...

How to program my own code.
Why I can not program my own code if I don't look at other's code. How can I program by myself and not look at the book. Thank you. On 12/10/2011 7:57 AM, JoeNapoleon wrote: > Why I can not program my own code if I don't look at other's code. > How can I program by myself and not look at the book. Thank you. The C language is relatively terse, and a perfectly sensible "utterance" in C may look like a random string of gibberish to the unpracticed. When you're just beginning, code like `while(*p++=*q++);' may be difficult to understand, and it even has a tiny trap that could lead your understanding astray! But practice will improve your skill in reading C, and you will get that practice by reading others' code and reading code in books (unless you're unlucky enough to read bad books or bad code, of course; there is unfortunately no shortage of either). In a fairly short time you will become able to read most C with reasonable ease, and will only need to open the book in extreme cases. Trust me: This skill *will* come, and it will come sooner than you imagine if you read good code frequently. Another effect is that reading good code will improve your own writing of code: You will learn what some call C's "idioms" and when to use them as building blocks in your own constructions. You will learn how to write more clearly, to communicate your code's intent to future readers (including yourself ...

huffman coding over and over again
Is it possible to do huffman coding over and over again? Maybe try to flip the even or odd bits between each recoding? Maybe try other transformations between each coding to shuffle the data so it seems as if it's a new piece of data so it can be recoded again. When we want to decompress the data, we would do a huffman decode then shuffle it back to the way it was, then decode again...etc... Is it possible? Thanks Rich Koup wrote: > Is it possible to do huffman coding over and over again? Maybe try to flip > the even or odd bits between each recoding? Maybe try other transformations > between each coding to shuffle the data so it seems as if it's a new piece > of data so it can be recoded again. > > When we want to decompress the data, we would do a huffman decode then > shuffle it back to the way it was, then decode again...etc... > > Is it possible? Yes, but it would be too slow for practical use. That's why Huffman codes aren't used for high order models like PPM. An arithmetic code would be faster, besides giving better compression. -- Matt Mahoney Rich wrote: ) Is it possible to do huffman coding over and over again? Maybe try to flip ) the even or odd bits between each recoding? Maybe try other transformations ) between each coding to shuffle the data so it seems as if it's a new piece ) of data so it can be recoded again. Huffman by itself doesn't compress data. It's just an encoding. SaSW, Wille...

Can we code a program that can create another program #2
Although it sounds like a Quine but in reality is different. The requirement is to code a parent program which when run will ask for user choices or options based on which another program will be generated. e.g. 1. Parent Program is Run 2. Asks for user options 3. User chooses Music Player 4. Asks for formats to be played 5. User chooses MP3, MP4, DAT, AVI and WMV 6. Output-> An executable file of a music player having the basic functionalities like Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Prev and Plays only MP3, MP4, DAT, AVI and WMV. Regards Smruti "Smruti" <smrutimandal@gmail.com> writes: > Although it sounds like a Quine but in reality is different. > > The requirement is to code a parent program which when run will ask > for user choices or options based on which another program will be > generated. > > e.g. 1. Parent Program is Run > 2. Asks for user options > 3. User chooses Music Player > 4. Asks for formats to be played > 5. User chooses MP3, MP4, DAT, AVI and WMV > 6. Output-> An executable file of a music player having the > basic functionalities like Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Prev and Plays > only MP3, MP4, DAT, AVI and WMV. Well yes that stuff exists, this things are called templates or in MS language Wizzards. It's not that hard really, you implement a layer for some kind of "virtual" music player which just has things like P...

Re: Reusing code from SAS Program in another SAS Program
Keith - Store your code snippets in a PDS and then %include into your programs. For example this program includes a format called "$REGCRT" that I've stored in the PDS DSCHEER.PROD.RUN.FORMATS($REGCRT): //LOOKUP JOB (DSDBX0000T,DS80,20,5,0),'CHOATE 654-2160',TIME=1, // USER=DSPAULC,MSGCLASS=X,NOTIFY=DSPAULC //GOSAS EXEC HWSAS //SYSIN DD * OPTIONS PS=2000 LS=80; LIBNAME VENDOR 'DS.SYS.WORK.VENDOR.PANEL' DISP=SHR; FILENAME FMT 'DSCHEER.PROD.RUN.FORMATS' DISP=SHR; %INC FMT($REGCRT); DATA LOOKUP; RETAIN SENDDATE VENDRC RCNAME VENDOR NAME ADDR1 ADDR2 ADDR3 ZIP PHONENUM INVADDR1 INVADDR2 INVZIP; SET VENDOR.PANEL; WHERE VENDOR IN ('HV0010' 'HV0011'); RCNAME=PUT(VENDRC,$REGCRT.); KEEP SENDDATE VENDRC RCNAME VENDOR NAME ADDR1 ADDR2 ADDR3 ZIP PHONENUM INVADDR1 INVADDR2 INVZIP; PROC PRINT; RUN; ENDSAS; Since %INC is a macro you can put it anywhere in open code and it will read the code snippet during compilation. hth Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Keith Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 3:23 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Reusing code from SAS Program in another SAS Program I write SAS programs on the Mainframe. I have several programming steps in multiple programs that use the same IF statements, for example. Maintenance is getting to b...

Program or be Programmed
http://www.rushkoff.com/program-or-be-programmed/ The debate over whether the Net is good or bad for us fills the airwaves and the blogosphere. But for all the heat of claim and counter-claim, the argument is essentially beside the point: it's here; it's everywhere. The real question is, do we direct technology, or do we let ourselves be directed by it and those who have mastered it? ?Choose the former,? writes Rushkoff, ?and you gain access to the control panel of civilization. Choose the latter, and it could be the last real choice you get to make.? ...

To Code or Not to Code?
Just read a paper with the very interesting title, "To code or not to code: lossy source-channel communication revisited", Gastpar et al, IEEE Trans Information Theory, May 2003, p 1147. It's available for free here... http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~gastpar/01197846.pdf As far as I can tell, the idea is that although source and channel coding can be separated without loss of optimality (Shannon) it can be overly complex, and less complex systems can get close to this opimality by combining source and channel coding, or at least matching them in some way. This sounds like a pret...

Re: Reusing code from SAS Program in another SAS Program #4
In response to a question by Keith, Paul Choate suggested using %INC. The suggestion is reasonable, but not his explanation. Since %INC is a macro you can put it anywhere in open code and it will read the code snippet during compilation. %INC is neither a macro nor a macro instruction. It is one of a few old SAS commands that begin with a %-sign and predate the current macro language. This can be shown by a batch job run with the option NOMACRO. Here is the log. NOTE: SAS (r) Proprietary Software Release 8.2 (TS2M0) Licensed to The SAS Learning Edition V2.0, Site ...

Re: Reusing code from SAS Program in another SAS Program #5
Ian, I agree with your statement: "Well maybe it is best postponed to the time Keith shows that parameterization would be helpful to him." If it does turn out that parameterization would be helpful to him, he is in luck. I will agree to offer him, and SAS-L, the best example that my understanding of the SAS Component Language and my meager skills will allow. And I hope you, and as many other mmmm's as possible, will do likewise with the SAS Macro Language. I hope it has become apparent to you and other mmmm's that the SAS Component Language can handle whole classes of pr...

Help for Coding Java Program to zip code based search results
Hello People Please give me suggestions on java program for providing search results based on zip code. For example searching for listings of companies within 200 miles of a given zip code, similar to what is done on google maps. Thanks Nek ...

How to execute an external program and halting VBA code till external program finishes
I would appreciate any help from anyone with the following: I have an external program (window32 based) that I am executing with the VBA SHELL command. This program produces a text file which I have to read after the external program finishes. I use the transfertext method to read the file. The problem is that the SHELL command executes external programs in an asynch way. In other words, the VBA code will continue running and NOT wait for the external program to finish. I need to run this external program and HALT my VBA code until the external program terminates. Is there any code out there or methods I can use to do this?? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! Greg Fierro gfierro@SoftWerksDev.com *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! On 04 Sep 2003 04:42:27 GMT in comp.databases.ms-access, Greg Fierro <gfierro@softwerksdev.com> wrote: >I would appreciate any help from anyone with the following: > >I have an external program (window32 based) that I am executing with the >VBA SHELL command. This program produces a text file which I have to >read after the external program finishes. I use the transfertext method >to read the file. > >The problem is that the SHELL command executes external programs in an >asynch way. In other words, the VBA code will continue running and NOT >wait for the external program to finish. > >I need to run this ...

Re: Reusing code from SAS Program in another SAS Program #7 1547527
Hi Keith, is it exactly the same code (a) or only the same structure but with different variable names in it (b) ? (a) you may save the "IF code" in a separate member (let's say IFcode) and simply %INCLUDE that member within your various data stes. FILENAME xxx FILENAME xxx 'a.b.c.' DISP=shr; DATA ... SET ... %INCLUDE xxx(IFcode); run; (b) you could use the same technique but with macro logic in order to set the variable names dynamically before including IFcode does this help ? Regards Roland -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Keith Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 12:23 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Reusing code from SAS Program in another SAS Program I write SAS programs on the Mainframe. I have several programming steps in multiple programs that use the same IF statements, for example. Maintenance is getting to be a problem because I may have to make the same code change in 50 different programs. I would like to write the If statement only once and read it into the appropriate data steps of the various programs. If someone could give me help on how I could do this, it would be appreciated. ...

Re: Reusing code from SAS Program in another SAS Program #6 1547525
Keith, You have two choices: 1st.: create macros containing your if statements and store them either in a user or public macro library. 2nd.: Create text files contaiing your if statements save them in a PDS and %include them in your program. Toby Dunn From: Keith <kmccall00@CHARTER.NET> Reply-To: Keith <kmccall00@CHARTER.NET> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Reusing code from SAS Program in another SAS Program Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 15:23:07 -0700 I write SAS programs on the Mainframe. I have several programming steps in multiple programs that use the same IF statements, for example. Maintenance is getting to be a problem because I may have to make the same code change in 50 different programs. I would like to write the If statement only once and read it into the appropriate data steps of the various programs. If someone could give me help on how I could do this, it would be appreciated. ...

Web resources about - huffman coding - comp.programming

Huffman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome - Huffman's Hot Sauce
Nice one! Welcome to Huffman's. At Huffman's we hand produce condiments that make food taste... tastier! Like our Huffman's Hot Sauce, an unashamedly ...

The Patricia Huffman Smith Museum "Remembering Columbia"
Website for the Patricia Huffman Smith Museum, "Remembering Colubmia", a museum dedicated to the memory of those who lost their lives aboard ...

Joshua Huffman (@Armchair_Psycho) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Joshua Huffman @ Armchair_Psycho ...

Flickr: Todd Huffman
Among other things I'm a huge fan of Creative Commons, and almost all my images are licensed using CC. creativecommons.org/ Pictures of mine ...

How Reddit Began (feat. Founders Steve Huffman & Alexis Ohanian) - Wizard - YouTube
The newest episode of the "Wizard" series on A TOTAL DISRUPTION, two-time Sundance-winning director Ondi Timoner's channel that takes you inside ...

Reddit co-founder Steve Huffman not proud of what site has become
Steve Huffman has some regrets about selling Reddit when he did.

Steve Huffman - News, Features, and Slideshows
Latest news, features, and slideshows on Steve Huffman from TechWorld

'Atrocious, mobile sucks': Reddit co-founder Steve Huffman on what site has become
Steve Huffman has some regrets about selling Reddit when he did.

Reddit interim CEO Pao resigns; Huffman regains CEO title
Reddit says interim CEO Ellen Pao resigned from the company, and co-founder Steve Huffman is back as its CEO.