Linux framebuffer drawing

Hi,
I've been looking for a simple "hello world" kind of example that
can draw eg, a line or rectangle using the basic kernel fb functions
without success. Can you point me to one, or a tutorial on it?
Thanks.

PS, i don't want to go through a toolkit built on top of it.
0
Russell
4/3/2007 11:28:45 AM
comp.programming 10947 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On a sunny day (Tue, 03 Apr 2007 21:28:45 +1000) it happened Russell Shaw
<rjshawN_o@s_pam.netspace.net.au> wrote in
<dcq9e4-n2e.ln1@main.anatron.com.au>:

>Hi,
>I've been looking for a simple "hello world" kind of example that
>can draw eg, a line or rectangle using the basic kernel fb functions
>without success. Can you point me to one, or a tutorial on it?
>Thanks.
>
>PS, i don't want to go through a toolkit built on top of it.

Why not look at the source of:
 http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/tinyptc/

Then you can copy it :-)
0
Jan
4/3/2007 1:19:46 PM
Russell Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been looking for a simple "hello world" kind of example that
> can draw eg, a line or rectangle using the basic kernel fb functions
> without success. Can you point me to one, or a tutorial on it?
> Thanks.
>
> PS, i don't want to go through a toolkit built on top of it.

The book Linux Appliance Design (just out) has a chapter
on framebuffers.  I think it's example is "hello moon", so
it might not be what you want.  There is also a nice chapter
on LIRC if that's of any value.

(Disclaimer: I'm one of the authors but didn't write the FB
or LIRC chapters.)

Bob
0
Bob
4/3/2007 4:19:28 PM
Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Tue, 03 Apr 2007 21:28:45 +1000) it happened Russell Shaw
> <rjshawN_o@s_pam.netspace.net.au> wrote in
> <dcq9e4-n2e.ln1@main.anatron.com.au>:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've been looking for a simple "hello world" kind of example that
>> can draw eg, a line or rectangle using the basic kernel fb functions
>> without success. Can you point me to one, or a tutorial on it?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> PS, i don't want to go through a toolkit built on top of it.
>
> Why not look at the source of:
>  http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/tinyptc/
>
> Then you can copy it :-)

Hey thanks, that one looks useful:)
0
Russell

[News] Laptops with GNU/Linux Gain Popularity in India
Laptops pre-loaded with Linux getting popular ,----[ Quote ] | Indeed, with Linux consistently bettering market expectations, these | large firms are offering more choice and lower prices, not just in the | server market, but also on laptops. And laptops pre-loaded with Linux | operating system are gaining in popularity among Indian customers as | well. `---- http://www.hindu.com/2004/06/16/stories/2004061606911800.htm Also see the recent news: HP To Certify Suse Linux For Notebooks ,----[ Quote ] | Hewlett-Packard will ensure that the operating system works on several | of its n...

LInux crapware: screen randomly shuts off
Victim 1: "So yesterday my Ubuntu 14.04 install started doing this weird thing where the screen would just start shutting off at random times. If I move the mouse it comes back on. I've tried timing it and it's not at regular intervals. It could be 3 minutes, could be 5 minutes, could be 1 minute later." Victim 2: "Had the same issue on Xubuntu" 4 posts at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2244415 It's a blessing in disguise: Would you really rather have Linux onscreen all the time? On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:05:35 -0400 DFS &...

Why linux is linux

[News] OpenMoko Phone Runs Mutiple Linux OSes
Open Linux phone demo's open virtualization ,----[ Quote ] | The OKL4 microkernel is reportedly running on FIC's OpenMoko Neo1973 phone, | allowing two instances of Linux to share the phone's ARM-based processor. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8294545513.html Related: Howto Openmoko on HTC Magician s100 in Dual-Boot with WinCE ,----[ Quote ] | Openmoko platform doesn't run only on Neo 1973, Openmoko runs also on Pocket | PC and other devices.   `---- http://grigio.org/howto_openmoko_htc_magician_s100_dual_boot_wince Mr. Martin tear down this wall ,-...

Professional online video with Windows, not linux
Once again linux is not able to compete with full features of Windows. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070126/wr_nm/column_pluggedin_dc ...

Why is Linux better than Windows
Ian Posted the following:- 1. Stability, reliability 2. Security - XP is secure only if it is not connected to any kind of network, phone, electric outlet, it is not powered up and locked into a secure vault to prevent any physical access to the machine. Have you cleaned your daily virus quota ? Which script kiddie is the main user of your computer ? 3. Hardware support (loseDOS runs ONLY on ia32, Linux runs on ia64, MIPS, Motorolla, IBM mainframes, embedded devices etc) 4. Supercomputing performance, see the top-500 list: How many Windows XP systems are on the list ? 0 How ...

Re: Moving to Linux
"Gonzales" <Gonzales@IDTS.net> escribi� en el mensaje news:dj_ud.194467$Np3.7989287@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca... snip > AHA! That's almost exacctly what I did for my home computer! First > Firefox, then Thunderbird, I had already ditched MS Word. Next I used > Winamp. Now I dual boot with Winders and Linux. If I could only get my > games to work on Linux, too :< ?? I think I got lost with the "Winamp" part.... Winamp???? I hope this doesn't mean you used ... M$MP... so stop using it was some kind of rebellion against the Empire, what? hahaha......

Re: Unable to install trial version on linux #2
Hi, please try the cpio command without the '-c' option, e.g. cpio -idvum < IIF_9.40.UC5_linux_tl.cpi Andreas On Wednesday 10 November 2004 09:01, Martin Thole wrote: > I just downloaded the Informix Dynamic Server 9.40.UC5 for Linux . > But we cann't install the file : IIF_9.40.UC5_linux_tl.cpi (98 > MB). > > I think with the suffix ".cpi" it should be a cpio archive. > But the cpio-command stops with: > "cpio: premature end of file" > > [I have download the file two ...

Unable to print to IPP printer through linux firewall
Have been unable to print or ping printer through firewall from web. Have tried enabling port forwarding to printer fixed ip to port 631 with no success. Only by setting dmz to printer ip, does the printer work over Internet. Iptables -L the following line is found. ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere 192.168.1.2 tcp dpt:631 Any tips or tricks at command line to fix problem? Joseph Wardzinski wrote: > Have been unable to print or ping printer through firewall from web. > Have tried enabling port forwarding to printer fixed ip to port 631 with > no success. Only ...

US-VA-Ashburn: Linux Admin/Web Eng., Red Hat/Linux, Websphere, HTML/Web; 6M (45301732409)
US-VA-Ashburn: Linux Admin/Web Eng., Red Hat/Linux, Websphere, HTML/Web; 6M (45301732409) ========================================================================================= Position: Linux Admin/Web Eng. Reference: SMC01400 Location: Ashburn VA Duration: 6M Skills: 5yrs exp. in prod level support. Thorough understanding of Red Hat/Linux and all major *nix services Exp building & managing high-performance Web server systems Strong understanding of networking including sub-netting, ...

[News] Montecito Servers to Include Linux
[There was a serious outage last night, so I'm posting from a different host] Montecito servers expected in September ,----[ Quote ] | NEC is releasing two Express5800 models, the 32-processor 1320Xf | and eight-processor 1080Rf, which run Windows or Linux. `---- http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6096079.html?tag=nefd.top ...

Linux Counter: 121687 registered Linux users
This is the monthly report from the Linux Usage Counter. It is posted on the 1st of every month on the newsgroup comp.os.linux.misc, and on the Linux Counter "announce" list. Registration and information is available via the World Wide Web; connect to URL http://counter.li.org/ This is the preferred interface to the counter. NOTE: You can UPDATE your record in the counter if you have your registration key, which was sent to you when you registered. Go to http://counter.li.org/person/ EMAIL: To enter your registration into the statistics, send an E-mail to linux-counter@uninett.n...

Horton AV announces avian flu vaccine for Linux
Horton AV announces avian flu vaccine for Linux David 'cdlu' Graham Oct 16 2005 Reacting to fears that the avian flu outbreak recently reported in Turkey could spread to Linux, anti-virus vendor Horton AV has released what it calls an effective vaccine ... http://www.newsforge.com/articles/05/10/13/1648206.shtml?tid=149&tid=1 Stephanie Mannerz <steph59mannerz@gmail.com> writes: > On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:06:50 -0700, Daeron wrote: > > > Horton AV announces avian flu vaccine for Linux > > David 'cdlu' Graham Oct 16 2005 > > > > Reacti...

Nis Map and linux
Hi all I'm facing on an issue. So I need your help. I have a NIS server on Sun Solaris. I currently using direct and indirect NIS map. for example: On my NIS server ( Solaris Operating System) - on /etc/nis/auto_master file /home auto_home -rw,intr,nosuid /- auto_direct - on /etc/nis/auto_home * nfsserver:/export/home/& - on /etc/nis/auto_direct /usr/local -rw,soft,bg nfsserver:/usr/local/ On a Sun NIS client, I always add in /etc/auto_master the line +auto_master. And modify the /et...

SSH from Windows to Linux w/port forwarding.
I have a Linux Server (Debian Sarge) behind a firewall that I need to tunnel into and forward ports from. I can orward all the ports I need from my laptop (Windows XP SP2) if I use either putty or Tunnelier from bitvise. I've been attempting to tunnel from OpenSSH on Cygwin but without much success. I can forward the RemoteDesktop port but not the others. Here is the command I use to start ssh and create the tunnel from xterm on Cygwin: $ ssh -F ~/.ssh/home_ssh_config myserver.dyndns.org -N -f -v Below are the contents of the above mentioned ssh config file: LogLevel DEBUG3 Host my...

random drawing
Every once and awhile a flash of luck comes my way. Such was the case a few years ago, late one night, while playing around with my new toy, er- tool, PSP7. I was trying to come up with some graphics for a new name for a website. The results were far better than I anticipated, but now, many moons later, comes the problem of repeating that random event. The website is finally starting to become something, and a product being marketed under the same name is needing some printed material, recreating the image is becoming more of a daunting task than anticipated. Thus my note here and my plea...

Re: Which version of Mandrake Linux works with wxWidgets? #3
> Nah, I'd rather say he really needs to learn how to > use Linux. > Yes, that is what I am trying to do. So here is what I�ve learned: The best thing about wxWidgets is that it runs on so many platforms, but to take advantage of that, one must learn those platforms. So I started on Windows and got my app working well there. Then I bought a Mac and got my app working on Mac OS X. And recently I started targeting Linux. There are so many flavors of Linux so I went to distrowatch.com to pick a few to get started with. I picked four: Fedora, SUSE, Mandra...

Linux NameServer Problem
I have a SpeedStream Router its IP address is 192.168.254.200 Whenever I give my linux nameserver a address 192.168.254.x it keeps switching to the SpeedStream router's address when I check the resolv.conf file. What must I do to keep the address I set and not have it use the router's address? ericcvt wrote: > I have a SpeedStream Router its IP address is 192.168.254.200 Whenever > I give my linux nameserver a address 192.168.254.x it keeps switching > to the SpeedStream router's address when I check the resolv.conf file. > What must I do to keep the address I...

[News] Linux, BSD's, and Passion
Passion for Windows: Does it Exist? ,----[ Quote ] | Both Linux and OS X are surrounded by user passion, and it | shows. There's really no comparison that can be made to Windows in | this way. As I've said before, I can?t even remember the last | time when someone said they were really pumped about using Windows, | but the other operating system alternatives receive these | unsolicited testimonials on a very regular basis. When it comes | right down to it, no matter how amazing or successful a product may | be, if the passion and the drive aren't there, then it?s a failure. | What...

Linux, Linux, Linux

Re: ODBC on Linux #4
Right, the actual driver is provided by a 3rd party (Easysoft). It's priced decently, but requires a server component to be installed on the machine running SQL Server (in addition to the linux client driver). My DBA will freak if I ask him to install some strange binary on our live production server, so that's not an option. I'm evalling both DataDirect and OpenLink, but I've been at it all day and so far neither one is working. Both drivers load fine, but connection is refused, despite using the exact same connection arguments that work from a windows pc. Right now I am ...

Extramadura planning a 40,000 user roll out of Linux
Extramadura planning a 40,000 user roll out of Linux ---------------------------------------------------- http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Extremadura-CIO-plans-Linux-rollout-on-40-000-desktops-1419281.html Huge benefit to the Linux community and its engineers distributing free software. The more people that use it, the more engineers can make money from free software through support services. Verily I say unto thee that 7 spake thusly: > Extramadura planning a 40,000 user roll out of Linux > ---------------------------------------------------- > > http://www.h-online.c...

[News] What if Canonical Sold Hardware with Linux Preloaded?
Open letter to Mark Shuttleworth ,----[ Quote ] | In short; | | - there is a market for pre-installed linux | - you already have the support system | - potential partners exist in the hardware branch | - you already have the software `---- http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/03/open_letter_to_mark_shuttlewor.html Last night/yesterday: Dell doomed for the short term, analyst reckons ,----[ Quote ] | It predicts that there will be a continued backlash from Dell's | recent customer problems and uncertainties around its financial | accounting. It will also be unable to face off st...

LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceding 07-04-07
In today's digest, we have: * Internal Microsoft Discussions About Departure * Large German Music Store Goes for the DRM Kill * Machine-to-Machine Development Kit Preloaded with Linux * Telegraph Covers Linux/MythTV * France Prepares GNU/Linux Computers for the Mass Market * Looking Beyond the Media's Attempts to Discredit Stallman and the GPL * When Things Go Wrong in Windows, They Go Very Wrong * BSD Live CD Lags Behind Linux Live CDs * New Version of Open Sound System (OSS), mkisofs Set Free * Microsoft's XBox Team Accused of Overcharging Customers ...

[News] [Linux] Network Manager Was NOT Fired Over Linux Recommendation
School District Did Not Fire Network Manager For Recommending Linux ,----[ Quote ] | I emailed the writer of that same article to ask if Curtis Mason was | really fired for recommending Linux. The reply confirmed my suspicion... | | [...] | | Lets not get into sensationalistic hissy fits, that?s reserved only | for Microsoft. `---- http://www.techybytes.com/school-district-did-not-fire-network-manager-for-recommending-linux/ Related: District to save money by switching computers to Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Hyland said the district hopes to get all of its computers | running Linux exclusi...