Linux framebuffer drawing

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,
I've been looking for a simple "hello world" kind of example that
can draw eg, a line or rectangle using the basic kernel fb functions
without success. Can you point me to one, or a tutorial on it?
Thanks.

PS, i don't want to go through a toolkit built on top of it.
0
Reply Russell 4/3/2007 11:28:45 AM

See related articles to this posting

On a sunny day (Tue, 03 Apr 2007 21:28:45 +1000) it happened Russell Shaw
<rjshawN_o@s_pam.netspace.net.au> wrote in
<dcq9e4-n2e.ln1@main.anatron.com.au>:

>Hi,
>I've been looking for a simple "hello world" kind of example that
>can draw eg, a line or rectangle using the basic kernel fb functions
>without success. Can you point me to one, or a tutorial on it?
>Thanks.
>
>PS, i don't want to go through a toolkit built on top of it.

Why not look at the source of:
 http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/tinyptc/

Then you can copy it :-)
0
Reply Jan 4/3/2007 1:19:46 PM

Russell Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been looking for a simple "hello world" kind of example that
> can draw eg, a line or rectangle using the basic kernel fb functions
> without success. Can you point me to one, or a tutorial on it?
> Thanks.
>
> PS, i don't want to go through a toolkit built on top of it.

The book Linux Appliance Design (just out) has a chapter
on framebuffers.  I think it's example is "hello moon", so
it might not be what you want.  There is also a nice chapter
on LIRC if that's of any value.

(Disclaimer: I'm one of the authors but didn't write the FB
or LIRC chapters.)

Bob
0
Reply Bob 4/3/2007 4:19:28 PM

Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Tue, 03 Apr 2007 21:28:45 +1000) it happened Russell Shaw
> <rjshawN_o@s_pam.netspace.net.au> wrote in
> <dcq9e4-n2e.ln1@main.anatron.com.au>:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've been looking for a simple "hello world" kind of example that
>> can draw eg, a line or rectangle using the basic kernel fb functions
>> without success. Can you point me to one, or a tutorial on it?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> PS, i don't want to go through a toolkit built on top of it.
>
> Why not look at the source of:
>  http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/tinyptc/
>
> Then you can copy it :-)

Hey thanks, that one looks useful:)
0
Reply Russell 4/3/2007 4:43:32 PM
comp.programming 10663 articles. 18 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

e-drawings and linux
well, i don't recall ever seeing it offered for linux, but I did find this link: http://lwn.net/2001/1018/pr/pr3943.php3 -nick e. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=e-drawings+linux&btnG=Google+Search Nick E. wrote: > well, i don't recall ever seeing it offered for linux, but I did find this > link: > > http://lwn.net/2001/1018/pr/pr3943.php3 > > -nick e. > > > > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=e-drawings+linux&btnG=Google+Search It is a article from 2001. Until now I...

linux framebuffer colors
I've gotten my framebuffer working, but the logo that appears at boot doesn't seem to be displayed in the correct colors. The tux logo is all purple. I've tested the framebuffer device as suggested in QT HOWTO-framebuffer.doc and I get a gradiated red square as it says, so I know there isn't a color problem with my display. I have an Epson S1D13806 graphics controller hooked up to a Sharp 320x240 TFT LCD panel runnining in 16bit color mode. Any ideas as to why the logo is not showing up properly? On another note, I've tried using the fblogo application to create my own...

Drawing over Linux wxListCtrl
Hello, I need to draw a graphic over the text in a wxListCtrl (Report View). I have it working on Mac and Windows but am having problems on Linux. We've been using a wxGrid for this, but want to switch to wxListCtrl so we can use the native control on Windows for accessibility by screen readers, etc. The development version of wxDataViewCtrl is not yet mature enough for our needs and does not yet support the native control on Windows. I'm trapping the wxOnPaint Event and using that to post a custom event, which in turn draws the graphic. This should ensure that m...

Drawing tools and LaTeX under Linux
I'm struggling to find a good drawing-program to use under Linux to draw figures for my pdflatex documents. Most of the figures I draw are usually block diagrams for computer/digital architectures. Several years ago I used AutoCAD, but it's only available under Windows. The fonts used in AutoCAD was available as type 1 PS fonts and I would install these in latex. Drawing was accurate and the results looked accurate and good. PGF/TikZ is very good for making some simple diagrams, but most of my block diagrams can be very detailed with lots of boxes with sub-boxes of different sized, ...

Solidworks drawings print in Linux
Hello people, Does anyone know how to print solidworks drawings in Linux? I have thousands of drawings sorted on article number and I need to print them easy. I was thinking to make a webinterface so everybody can print them any place, anytime. I hope someone can help. Thanks! Jasper Wammes Jasper Wammes wrote: > Hello people, > > > Does anyone know how to print solidworks drawings in Linux? I have thousands > of drawings sorted on article number and I need to print them easy. I was > thinking to make a webinterface so everybody can print them any place, > anyti...

Drawing on the root window in Linux?

How to draw framebuffer to device context ?
Hello, Suppose an Windows/OpenGL application is using an (open gl) frame buffer object for "offscreen rendering" for example render to texture or so... Is it possible to use the (open gl) frame buffer object to render the offscreen buffer back to the (window) device context ? If it is possible what api's could be used for that ? Bye, Skybuck. > Suppose an Windows/OpenGL application is using an (open gl) frame buffer > object for "offscreen rendering" for example render to texture or so... > > Is it possible to use the (open gl) frame buffer obj...

mouse events on linux framebuffer
Hi Everybody, Currently I am attempting to develop a game application that works on the linux framebuffer. I have implemented the basic navigation using the keyboards "scancodes". But I am confused with regard to handling mouse events on the linux framebuffer. I am new to linux framebuffer programming. I have a basic idea about the linux mouse service "GPM". My main concern at this stage is to implement the Mouse Button Click event. It would be great if anyone could guide me in this regard. Please let me know the libraries that support mouse handling o...

drawing comic strips with Linux
What (free) software can one use for drawing comic strips under Linux? No animation. I'm aware of stuff like gimp, but it doesn't seem to be up to the job of drawing comics. If I'm mistaken about that, I'd be glad to have it pointed out to me, e.g. by pointing me to comic strips that have been drawn with it, preferably (freely) accessible online. At any rate, whatever the software turns out to be, I'd be interested in seeing some of the work that has been done with it. -- Ignorantly, Allan Adler <ara@zurich.csail.mit.edu> * Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a membe...

xHarbour on Linux and Box drawing
I have been trying to simultaneously learn how to use Linux (specifically RedHat 9 and Lindows/Linspire) and port Clipper 5.2e code to xHarbour on Linux. xHarbour does pretty much everything I expected, although there is a problem with the upper ascii characters for box drawing. One solution has been given to me, which lets the "standard" ascii characters +. -, and | be substituted for various box drawing characters. This works, although it's crude and is not a real solution. I have spent hours and hours dredging through books and other resources, and I can't find anything c...

linux framebuffer logo colors
I'm having trouble getting the framebuffer logo at linux boot to display properly. I've gotten my framebuffer working, but the logo that appears at boot doesn't seem to be displayed in the correct colors. The tux logo is all purple. I've tested the framebuffer device as suggested in QT HOWTO-framebuffer.doc and I get a gradiated red square as it says. I've also created a Qt application that displays proper colors, so I know there isn't a color problem with my display. I have an Epson S1D13806 graphics controller hooked up to a Sharp 320x240 TFT LCD panel runnining ...

linux framebuffer logo colors
I've gotten my framebuffer working, but the logo that appears at boot doesn't seem to be displayed in the correct colors. The tux logo is all purple. I've tested the framebuffer device as suggested in QT HOWTO-framebuffer.doc and I get a gradiated red square as it says, so I know there isn't a color problem with my display. I have an Epson S1D13806 graphics controller hooked up to a Sharp 320x240 TFT LCD panel runnining in 16bit color mode. Any ideas as to why the logo is not showing up properly? On another note, I've tried using the fblogo application to cre...

linux framebuffer physical location?
hi, i'm asking where data is directly going if an application is writing some data to the linux frambuffer console. does it go first into an "isolated" chunk of ordinary system ram and then copied to the video memory, due to some security purposes? i am playing around with the fb console in some apps and got unsatisfying frame refreshrates (maybe around 15 to 20 fps while not doing any expensive calculations). fred If you memmap the open file /dev/fb0, you have the ram on the video card. http://www.akrobiz.com/ezfb/ I am currently working on double buffering...

freepascal linux framebuffer fonts unit
After digging through linux kernel virtual console stuff, I think writing to the display framebuffer and writing to the console are incompatible. So I've looked for old pascal fonts units and some existing standards, like adobe .bdf font formats. Writing a bitmat font to the display framebuffer, along with graphics, might be a powerful user interface. Is there an open source, pascal fonts unit to recommend ? On 2006-08-16, Richard Engebretson <eng@pinenet.com> wrote: > After digging through linux kernel virtual console stuff, I think > writing to the display framebuffer and ...

Linux drivers for Southland MGX+ framebuffer
I'm using Aurora Linux 1.0 on a dual-headed Ultra 1 with CGsix and Creator 3D framebuffer devices. Now I'd like to replace the CGsix with a Southland (now Quantum 3D) MGX+, but the kernel (2.4.19) won't recognize the device and I can't seem to find Linux drivers for it. I have searched for information in both web and Usenet but only found it mentioned in Solaris and OpenBSD contexts. The Framebuffer HOWTO (from 2000) doesn't mention the card, and Sun's Framebuffer FAQ mentions it only as one of a number of 3rd party framebuffers. Does linux support this card? Any info...

Can this drawing task be done in Linux?
Hello: In my research, I use coreldraw to draw bmp files with accurate geometries, I can set different regions of the file to different grayscale values(0-255), then I can use paint shop to convert the bmp files to pgm files which are plain text files with the grayscale values for each pixel in the graph. All this is now done under windows, I tried gimp and inkscape, but none of them seem to be capable of this job. I wonder if there are other ways of doing that. Thanks. Zhengquan zhengquan wrote: > Hello: > > In my research, I use coreldraw to draw bmp files with > accurate ge...

Sun Draws interested with its Linux offerings
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115792,00.asp Sun Microsystems has exceeded its own expectations. The company has signed 21 original equipment manufacturers for several products the company offers as alternatives to Microsoft desktop software, Sun announced at the Desktop Linux Summit in San Diego this week. The OEM deals, with companies such as Tadpole Computer and Taiwan-based Nature Worldwide Technology, are for such Sun products as the Java Desktop System, which contains a Linux-based operating system and related desktop software, the StarOffice software suite and Sun Ray...

Can I draw on the title bar in Linux?
Grettings, I thought that it would be possible to draw on the non-client areas but it seems that wxWindowDC is not available under Linux. Any ideas? thanks, Frank On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Frank Luctos wrote: > I thought that it would be possible to draw on the non-client > areas but it seems that wxWindowDC is not available under > Linux. Any ideas? Well, under X11 the title bar is drawn by the window manager, not by the application; the title bar will look different and have different dimensions using different window managers. It might be at the top, on one s...

How to draw a line in linux using GTK
I want to create the program that has one window & on that window I want to draw a line I know that is is possible using gtk_draw_line() function & i dont know what parameters i should pass to this function? How to get pointers of GDKGc & GDKDrwables? What are the functions for that? Prafulla T wrote: > I want to create the program that has one window & on that window I > want to draw a line > I know that is is possible using gtk_draw_line() function & i dont know > what parameters i should pass to this function? > How to get pointers of GDKGc...

Drawing boxes on linux console with Curses::UI
I am using the "Curses::UI" module to write an application that will run on the linux console. When I draw widgets on the screen, the borders are drawn with plus signs, hyphens and the "pipe" character. I'd like them to be drawn instead with the more solid looking characters that applications like "ntsysv" (a "Newt" application) uses, but cant work out how to do this. When I run the perl code via a "putty" SSH client, then I get solid lines. When I run "ntsysv" on the console, I get solid lines (so the console must be capable of...

Line Drawing Font for Linux/BSD Terminal?
All, For several days now I have been trying to talk to an ancient Mitel SX-2000 phone switch from a FreeBSD-4.10 machine, and have reached a stalemate. Currently, from a Slackware-8.1 machine using either Gnome-terminal or xterm (env shows $TERM=linux), I telnet to a RedHat-5.2 (env shows $TERM=linux) and from there run a kermit connection to the switch. The switch draws a DOS-ish screen layout with a menu of choices and displays the various configuration and data tables in the switch so I can administer the phone system. In this maintainance software, for example, there is: 6- Read Custome...

Linux drivers for Southland MGX+ framebuffer [repost]
[ on the off chance that posting this a second time might elicit a favourable response from someone in the audience ] I'm using Aurora Linux 1.0 on a dual-headed Ultra 1 with CGsix and Creator 3D framebuffer devices. Now I'd like to replace the CGsix with a Southland (now Quantum 3D) MGX+, but the kernel (2.4.19) won't recognize the device and I can't seem to find Linux drivers for it. I have searched for information in both web and Usenet but only found it mentioned in Solaris and OpenBSD contexts. The Framebuffer HOWTO (from 2000) doesn't mention the card, and Sun's...

FreeBSD X performance issues / linux framebuffer
I have a machine that for many years ran FreeBSD up to version 4.7 or 4.8. I installed linux on it about a year ago, and noticed that many games, screensavers, and gnome-terminal, which always behaved oddly had faster and smoother graphics running in linux. Since then, I upgraded my video card and I am enjoying the graphics performance that I previously thought the machine was incapable of. I find myself missing FreeBSD though because of the ports collection, and because of the nice integration that FreeBSD has. What I'm wondering now is whether any gains had been made in ...

How to render/draw buffer object to framebuffer without glDrawPixels.
Hello, According to opengl spec 4.0 glDrawPixels is deprecated. For cuda interoperability it seems best to use "opengl buffer objects". (An alternative could be textures or surfaces but these have caching/concurrency issues and are therefore unusable for my cuda kernel). I simply want to create a cuda kernel which maps this opengl buffer object and uses it as a "pixel array" or a piece of memory holding pixels, later it unmaps it. I then want the opengl program to draw the buffer object to the framebuffer. I would like to use an opengl api which is not...