Linux framebuffer drawing

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,
I've been looking for a simple "hello world" kind of example that
can draw eg, a line or rectangle using the basic kernel fb functions
without success. Can you point me to one, or a tutorial on it?
Thanks.

PS, i don't want to go through a toolkit built on top of it.
0
Reply Russell 4/3/2007 11:28:45 AM

See related articles to this posting

On a sunny day (Tue, 03 Apr 2007 21:28:45 +1000) it happened Russell Shaw
<rjshawN_o@s_pam.netspace.net.au> wrote in
<dcq9e4-n2e.ln1@main.anatron.com.au>:

>Hi,
>I've been looking for a simple "hello world" kind of example that
>can draw eg, a line or rectangle using the basic kernel fb functions
>without success. Can you point me to one, or a tutorial on it?
>Thanks.
>
>PS, i don't want to go through a toolkit built on top of it.

Why not look at the source of:
 http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/tinyptc/

Then you can copy it :-)
0
Reply Jan 4/3/2007 1:19:46 PM

Russell Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been looking for a simple "hello world" kind of example that
> can draw eg, a line or rectangle using the basic kernel fb functions
> without success. Can you point me to one, or a tutorial on it?
> Thanks.
>
> PS, i don't want to go through a toolkit built on top of it.

The book Linux Appliance Design (just out) has a chapter
on framebuffers.  I think it's example is "hello moon", so
it might not be what you want.  There is also a nice chapter
on LIRC if that's of any value.

(Disclaimer: I'm one of the authors but didn't write the FB
or LIRC chapters.)

Bob
0
Reply Bob 4/3/2007 4:19:28 PM

Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Tue, 03 Apr 2007 21:28:45 +1000) it happened Russell Shaw
> <rjshawN_o@s_pam.netspace.net.au> wrote in
> <dcq9e4-n2e.ln1@main.anatron.com.au>:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've been looking for a simple "hello world" kind of example that
>> can draw eg, a line or rectangle using the basic kernel fb functions
>> without success. Can you point me to one, or a tutorial on it?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> PS, i don't want to go through a toolkit built on top of it.
>
> Why not look at the source of:
>  http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/tinyptc/
>
> Then you can copy it :-)

Hey thanks, that one looks useful:)
0
Reply Russell 4/3/2007 4:43:32 PM
comp.programming 10708 articles. 18 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Linux, Linux, Linux

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

Why linux is linux

e-drawings and linux
well, i don't recall ever seeing it offered for linux, but I did find this link: http://lwn.net/2001/1018/pr/pr3943.php3 -nick e. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=e-drawings+linux&btnG=Google+Search Nick E. wrote: > well, i don't recall ever seeing it offered for linux, but I did find this > link: > > http://lwn.net/2001/1018/pr/pr3943.php3 > > -nick e. > > > > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=e-drawings+linux&btnG=Google+Search It is a article from 2001. Until now I...

linux framebuffer colors
I've gotten my framebuffer working, but the logo that appears at boot doesn't seem to be displayed in the correct colors. The tux logo is all purple. I've tested the framebuffer device as suggested in QT HOWTO-framebuffer.doc and I get a gradiated red square as it says, so I know there isn't a color problem with my display. I have an Epson S1D13806 graphics controller hooked up to a Sharp 320x240 TFT LCD panel runnining in 16bit color mode. Any ideas as to why the logo is not showing up properly? On another note, I've tried using the fblogo application to create my own...

Drawing over Linux wxListCtrl
Hello, I need to draw a graphic over the text in a wxListCtrl (Report View). I have it working on Mac and Windows but am having problems on Linux. We've been using a wxGrid for this, but want to switch to wxListCtrl so we can use the native control on Windows for accessibility by screen readers, etc. The development version of wxDataViewCtrl is not yet mature enough for our needs and does not yet support the native control on Windows. I'm trapping the wxOnPaint Event and using that to post a custom event, which in turn draws the graphic. This should ensure that m...

linux.kernel, mlist.linux.kernel, lucky.linux.kernel, comp.os.linux.setup, comp.os.linux.development.system
Hi *, .. you could compile an application into the kernel, but I was wondering what a difference does it actually make. .. Not only performance wise, but also considering security, deployment, .... and many more issues, which I don't know since I don't have much experience doing it myself maintaining such in-kernel embedded server applications Thanks onetitfemme ...

Drawing tools and LaTeX under Linux
I'm struggling to find a good drawing-program to use under Linux to draw figures for my pdflatex documents. Most of the figures I draw are usually block diagrams for computer/digital architectures. Several years ago I used AutoCAD, but it's only available under Windows. The fonts used in AutoCAD was available as type 1 PS fonts and I would install these in latex. Drawing was accurate and the results looked accurate and good. PGF/TikZ is very good for making some simple diagrams, but most of my block diagrams can be very detailed with lots of boxes with sub-boxes of different sized, ...

Freehand drawing in !Draw?
Hi, I've just been playing with my Wacom Artpad A6 and although it works great in PCAPaint and Paint, it's a total bear to use with Draw. Does anyone know of a program that would allow me to draw "freehand" in Draw, preferably using the graphics tablet? The tablet is a Wacom KT-0405-R with the Computer Concepts "CCTablet" driver, version 1.04 (16 Oct 1996). Also, does anyone know where I could get a replacement tip for the Artpad's "pen" from, if it's replaceable? Failing that, does anyone know of a company that still sells the pens for the A...

Solidworks drawings print in Linux
Hello people, Does anyone know how to print solidworks drawings in Linux? I have thousands of drawings sorted on article number and I need to print them easy. I was thinking to make a webinterface so everybody can print them any place, anytime. I hope someone can help. Thanks! Jasper Wammes Jasper Wammes wrote: > Hello people, > > > Does anyone know how to print solidworks drawings in Linux? I have thousands > of drawings sorted on article number and I need to print them easy. I was > thinking to make a webinterface so everybody can print them any place, > anyti...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

[News] [Linux] New Versions of Engarde Secure Linux, Core Linux, OpenTLE (Thai Linux)
EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.14 Released ,----[ Quote ] | A fully functional secure Linux platform distribution, this release | features a vastly improved intrusion detection Attack Monitor. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/may/04/engarde_secure_linux_3_0_14_released Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released! ,----[ Quote ] | Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks. | Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has | found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals | and operation of a Linux system. `---- http://www.coredistro.org/ne...

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is sh...

Drawing on the root window in Linux?

Linux Could NOT Have Invented Linux
The current view in Western technology is that Linus Torvalds invented Linux. Nothing could be further from the truth. The technical complexity and useability of Linux make it beyond the capability of what man could produce using the tools available in 1992. My theory is that Ancient Astronauts descended from the sky on 'Chariots of the Gods' and showed Linus *how* to write an Operating System. These alien visitors must have appeared as strange to the young Torvalds, and so he may have mistaken them for carpet vendors. -- w:04 On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:28:27 GMT, Erich Von ...

How to draw framebuffer to device context ?
Hello, Suppose an Windows/OpenGL application is using an (open gl) frame buffer object for "offscreen rendering" for example render to texture or so... Is it possible to use the (open gl) frame buffer object to render the offscreen buffer back to the (window) device context ? If it is possible what api's could be used for that ? Bye, Skybuck. > Suppose an Windows/OpenGL application is using an (open gl) frame buffer > object for "offscreen rendering" for example render to texture or so... > > Is it possible to use the (open gl) frame buffer obj...

mouse events on linux framebuffer
Hi Everybody, Currently I am attempting to develop a game application that works on the linux framebuffer. I have implemented the basic navigation using the keyboards "scancodes". But I am confused with regard to handling mouse events on the linux framebuffer. I am new to linux framebuffer programming. I have a basic idea about the linux mouse service "GPM". My main concern at this stage is to implement the Mouse Button Click event. It would be great if anyone could guide me in this regard. Please let me know the libraries that support mouse handling o...

drawing comic strips with Linux
What (free) software can one use for drawing comic strips under Linux? No animation. I'm aware of stuff like gimp, but it doesn't seem to be up to the job of drawing comics. If I'm mistaken about that, I'd be glad to have it pointed out to me, e.g. by pointing me to comic strips that have been drawn with it, preferably (freely) accessible online. At any rate, whatever the software turns out to be, I'd be interested in seeing some of the work that has been done with it. -- Ignorantly, Allan Adler <ara@zurich.csail.mit.edu> * Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a membe...

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

xHarbour on Linux and Box drawing
I have been trying to simultaneously learn how to use Linux (specifically RedHat 9 and Lindows/Linspire) and port Clipper 5.2e code to xHarbour on Linux. xHarbour does pretty much everything I expected, although there is a problem with the upper ascii characters for box drawing. One solution has been given to me, which lets the "standard" ascii characters +. -, and | be substituted for various box drawing characters. This works, although it's crude and is not a real solution. I have spent hours and hours dredging through books and other resources, and I can't find anything c...

[News] [Linux] The Linux Foundation Improves Linux Printing
Linux Foundation Improves Printing Functionality in Linux With LSB Driver Development Kit ,----[ Quote ] | "The LSB DDK is a direct result of our workgroup efforts and will | make it easier to create distribution-independent printer driver | packages," said Till Kamppeter, OpenPrinting.org manager, The | Linux Foundation. `---- http://new.marketwire.com/2.0/rel.jsp?id=741867&sourceType=1 Related: Real-time Linux simulates toner motion for printer design ,----[ Quote ] | Concurrent reports that its commercial, real-time Linux | implementation for multi-processor AMD Opter...

linux framebuffer logo colors
I'm having trouble getting the framebuffer logo at linux boot to display properly. I've gotten my framebuffer working, but the logo that appears at boot doesn't seem to be displayed in the correct colors. The tux logo is all purple. I've tested the framebuffer device as suggested in QT HOWTO-framebuffer.doc and I get a gradiated red square as it says. I've also created a Qt application that displays proper colors, so I know there isn't a color problem with my display. I have an Epson S1D13806 graphics controller hooked up to a Sharp 320x240 TFT LCD panel runnining ...