Run VBScript as a process

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Does anyone know how to load a VBScript script into memory (have it
run continuously)?

I am wanting to automatically rename files as I copy them to a specfic
directory, thus the script must constantly "execute". cscript and at
(the task scheduler) will not suffice.

Thanks in advance.
--Adam
0
Reply rocketman7000 (2) 1/27/2004 9:30:21 PM

See related articles to this posting

Adam wrote:

> Does anyone know how to load a VBScript script into memory (have it
> run continuously)?

When you run it, it IS loaded in memory.  I think you mean something
like a "TSR", driver or daemon?  In Windows, you'd want to look into
Services, but I don't think a script can be a service.  You'd need
to work with a compilable language, AFAIK.

> I am wanting to automatically rename files as I copy them to a
> specfic directory, thus the script must constantly "execute".

Can't you just run the renaming part in a loop and leave the thing
running?

--
|_ CJSonnack <Chris@Sonnack.com> _____________| How's my programming? |
|_ http://www.Sonnack.com/ ___________________| Call: 1-800-DEV-NULL  |

Thanks for your input.
I'm wishing this was on a UNIX box, it'd probabaly be much easier to
do.

Anyway, I'll try just looping the renaming subroutine and see if that
works... hopefully it won't hose the proc.

Thanks again,
--Adam

Programmer Dude <Chris@Sonnack.com> wrote in message news:<4017F6D6.48BF191E@Sonnack.com>...
> Adam wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to load a VBScript script into memory (have it
> > run continuously)?
>
> When you run it, it IS loaded in memory.  I think you mean something
> like a "TSR", driver or daemon?  In Windows, you'd want to look into
> Services, but I don't think a script can be a service.  You'd need
> to work with a compilable language, AFAIK.
>
> > I am wanting to automatically rename files as I copy them to a
> > specfic directory, thus the script must constantly "execute".
>
> Can't you just run the renaming part in a loop and leave the thing
> running?
0
Reply rocketman7000 (2) 1/28/2004 11:43:22 PM
comp.programming 10598 articles. 18 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Differentiate between process being run by administrator user and process being run using run as admin option.
Hi, 1. I can do this on Vista by checking for process elevation. 2. How can I do it on XP 64 bit? Best Regards, Vishal On Apr 22, 1:24=A0am, Vishal Pai <vishal...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > 1. I can do this on Vista by checking for process elevation. > 2. How can I do it on XP 64 bit? > > Best Regards, > Vishal Can I check if my application is being launched using run as? ...

how to run multiple processes from a single process?
Hi all, I am porting a win32 c++ program on Linux which first reads a list of processes and their paths from a file.Then this program should launch all of thesese processes. I tried to achieve this using fork() and execv() API calls. but execv() method call is synchronous and does not return untill user closes the child application or a launch program error occurs. Is there any other API / alternate solution available in Linux C++? Thanks in advance. [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] ...

Process.destroy() -- process carries on running?
Still having trouble with Process.exec(). The story so far: - I create a separate thread to run a process and do a join(10000) to wait for it with a timeout of 10 seconds. If the thread is still alive after the join, interrupt it. - The thread running the process uses exec() to create the external process, creates two threads to read from stdout and stderr until they get a null (indicating the process has ended), and then waits usinf proc.waitFor(). If interrupted, it calls proc.destroy(). I display some debugging messages, and I have written a little test program that I spawn ...

how to run multiple processes from a single process?
Hi all, I am porting a win32 c++ program on Linux which first reads a list of processes and their paths from a file.Then this program should launch all of thesese processes. I tried to achieve this using fork() and execv() API calls. but execv() method call is synchronous and does not return untill user closes the child application or a launch program error occurs. which means only first process will run. Is there any other API / alternate solution available in Linux C++? Thanks in advance. mandydhaliwal@gmail.com wrote: > Hi all, > > I am porting a win32...

[9fans] process group, processes running in the background
------=_Part_2527_17697070.1213970629134 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Hello, is there any simple way how to identify processes belonging to one concrete process group? Is there any simple way how to change a process' group? Is there anything like pstree in plan9? Thanks Ruda ------=_Part_2527_17697070.1213970629134 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Hello,<br><br>is there any simple way how to identify processes belonging to one...

Terminating running instance of process from another process
Hi all, I'm writing a server program. It's all working nicely but I want to be able to terminate it using commandline options. So what happens is: you run the proxy and when you want to terminate it you run the program again with a certain switch. This second instance has to terminte the first instance of the process. Any idears how to do this ? I figured a mutex might be usefull if I can figure out to which process it belongs so I can kill it. Or should I create a job and terminate that ? Cheers, SkyLined you can attach as a debugger then suspend all its threads ...

How to detect if the process with known process id is running or not?
Hi folks -- I need to detect if a process is running or not. I imagined that if I called OpenProcess( ) like this: hProcess = OpenProcess( SYNCHRONIZE, TRUE, processID ); then on return hProcess would be NULL if processID were not running. Not true. It seems that if processID had ever run and then called exit() or crashed or had been killed, then a handle to that (now dead) process is returned. Very disappointing. Given a processID, how can I find out if the process is running now? Thanks! -- Pete pete wrote: > Hi folks -- > > I need to detect if a pr...

Spawn a process, then exit, whilst leaving process running?
Hi, I have a Python script that I'd like to spawn a separate process (SSH client, in this case), and then have the script exit whilst the process continues to run. I looked at Subprocess, however, that leaves the script running, and it's more for spawning processes and then dealing with their output. Somebody mentioned multiprocessing, however, I'm not sure quite sure how that would work here. What's the most Pythontic way of achieving this purpose? Cheers, Victor On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 21:04:33 -0800, Victor Hooi wrote: > I have a Python script that I'...

Run a python script as an exe and run a new process from it
Hello all, I've a strange requirement where I need to run a python script just as we run an exe (by double clicking through windows explorer or by typing the script name at command prompt). In that process I should be able to execute another python script in such a way that, the second script should continue running but the main one should terminate without effecting the second one. My requirement may be little confusing so please get back if you didn't understand what I meant above. Thank you, Venu. On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 04:55 -0800, venutaurus539@gm...

Can root processes become parent of another running process?
We have a process that runs as root and spawns a bunch of other apps and monitors them for SIGCHILD signals. If this parent process dies, we want to be able to restart it and "assign" itself as the parent of any previously spawned processes (it writes a list of their PIDs to a backing store that it would read when it restarted). Is this even possible? We're using Solaris 8 but may be upgrading to 10 soon. Thanks, Mike On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:26:51 -0000 "prattm@gmail.com" <prattm@gmail.com> wrote: > We have a process that runs as root and spawns a bunch o...

How can get process id of a process running on remote machine.
Hi, I have run a process on remote machine with system() call using "ssh abc@host './process'". Process is up and running on remote machine. Is there any way i can find PID of a process running in remote machine. I couldnt do that with system("ps -aef | grep process | awk....."), since we can't get output of a command run using system() call. Can any one help? Thnx in advance, Sandeep On Nov 22, 8:33 am, sandy <rayapudisand...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I have run a process on remote machine with system() call using "ssh > abc@host ...

processes running
Hello there! I have the following command ps -fu oracle | grep -v grep | grep ora_pmon_RCAT which gives me the following result: oracle 78608 1 0 15:22:04 - 0:00 ora_pmon_RCATPROD oracle 93424 1 0 10:09:22 - 0:00 ora_pmon_RCAT I want a command to give only the last process i.e oracle 93424 1 0 10:09:22 - 0:00 ora_pmon_RCAT I am trying to see if an Oracle database is running and I have two databases with the name RCAT and RCATPROD. If i give that ps command based on the ORACLE SID i get both processes but i want only for example the RCAT pr...

How to run program in background. How to list my processies and kill a running process
Hello, How would I do this on a vax? Thank you, Christopher Lusardi Chris L wrote: > How would I do this on a vax? OpenVMS VAX does not have the concept of foreground and background processes, that's Unix. As for process control: RUN/DETACH, SUBMIT, sys$creprc, lib$spawn, SPAWN, etc. As for process display: SHOW SYSTEM, SHOW PROCESS, etc. As for deleting a process: STOP/ID The OpenVMS HELP library (once you get your system, or should you have access to another OpenVMS system) and the User's Guide and the Programming Concepts manuals ...

running out of processes
Hi. Running MacOS X 10.3.4 on a G4 iMac ... As of late, it appears that I've been running out of processes. Quitting existing applications doesn't seem to help all that much; I eventually have to reboot. Unfortunately, when this happens, I can't launch "top" or "ps", since (of course) that uses processes ... Has anybody else encountered this? Suggestions? Thanks. -- Art Werschulz (agw@comcast.net) 207 Stoughton Ave Cranford NJ 07016 (908) 272-1146 Art Werschulz <agw@comcast.net> wrote: > Hi. > Running MacOS X 10.3.4 on a G4 iMac ... > A...

Processes running?
Hi all! I hope I'm asking in the right place... I'm not very savvy about this type of thing, and would appreciate any help. Is there a list of "necessary" processes that run in the background, and what it's safe to close? I guess I what I really need is a list explaining what all of the processes are, and what they are for. Thanks for any help you can offer. CM sigen3@aol.combridle (Sigen 3) wrote in message news:<20031125100735.16483.00000752@mb-m23.aol.com>... > Hi all! > > I hope I'm asking in the right place... I'm no...

Running Processes
Hello everyone although, Microsoft mentioned in its Windows S.D.K Documentation that PROCESSENTRY32 structure contains the path and name of the process's EXE file, and it stores these information in its member: char szExeFile[MAX_PATH] The only thing i get is the EXE name without the path. can anyone help me ? M. Nasim a =E9crit : > Hello everyone > although, Microsoft mentioned in its Windows S.D.K Documentation that > PROCESSENTRY32 > structure contains the path and name of the process's EXE file, and it > stores these information in its member: > ch...

ensuring a sequence of processes in a script when one process is run in teh background?
I am writing a script that must execute another script in the background. I need to execute other programs after the script completes, but trying to do: backgroundtask& do-stuff fg do-otherstuff gives me an output of "no job control". do-otherstuff can't be run before backgroundtask (another script) completes. But backgroundtask MUST be run in the background or it will fail. Any idea how I can ensure that everything happens in the right order? Thanks! nooneinparticular314159@yahoo.com wrote: > I am writing a script that must execute another script in the > bac...

LOAD DATA INFILE won't run correctly when running from VBscript
I have been having a hard time trying to figure out this problem. It might be a simple suggestion but I am new to scripting and MySQL and any help would be greatly appreciated. Problem: I am trying to run a vbscript that will truncate a table in my database and then load a csv file into the same database using Windows Scheduled Tasks. When I try to load the file using vbscript it errors out because of the carriage return character. If I go into the mysql client window and copy and paste the line (below) it works correctly but when executed through the vbscript it errors out. Are there any sug...

Need process to run in parent and data be available to all child processes regardless of MPM?
I am trying to add ZeroConf ( Apple Bonjour / formerly Apple Rendezvous ) discovery of services to Apache 2.x using the Apple mDNSResponder code. I would like to have a long running Browse process that listens for changes to be in the main apache parent process, and make the data it collects available to all the child processes so they can connect to the discovered services during the request processing phase. My first instinct is to add the long running ( life of the server ) browse code to the server/main.c and store the results in the globalpool, the browse needs to be tied int...

MATLAB Code for a stop process button which executes and halt the process of running data files in between or at anytime
Hello I am trying to think of a MATLAB code that will enable a stop button that will halt the list of files to be processed anytime in between and it is like this Once I have added a list of files to be processed, a progressbar shows up(I want to know how to create that..) once a Go button is clicked and when the dialog box appears.once click stop processing it should stop in between...... Any ideas will be appreciated... Ram wrote: > > > Hello > > I am trying to think of a MATLAB code that will enable a stop > button that will halt the list of files to be processed anyt...

Open running processes
Hi all, I have a programm. In this program i've made the restriction that only one instance can run at the time. (done with mutex). Now i'd like it to open the running (make visible) instance when someone want's to open it a second time. Does anybody know how to do this? I hope you all understand what i mean. My English isn't to good... Greetz Rudi It is a wxWindow app. It is a kind of datamanager. it is possible to minimize it to the systray. hmm.. i've thought of an solution using memorymapping. see if it works.. don't know if it is the 'best' or 'sa...

Reading Running Process
Hey There, I am trying to read the memory of the text region of a running process. I can open a process and read the data in the process using OpenProcess and ReadProcessMemory. I'm not sure however how to detect which data I am getting corresponds to the "text region" and not the other regions, like the stack. Does the type "MEM_IMAGE" defined in the "Type" parameter of the MEMORY_BASIC_INFORMATION structure define the read in memory block as part of the "text region"? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. -Jay patelj27b@gmail.com wrot...

Long running processes
Folks, I have an app that has an interactive and a batch mode. Batch runs can take hours and in this case I was thinking of iconifying the app window and popping up a progress bar that shows the status of the app and then returning the app window to normal, once the batch run is complete. Appreciate ideas on how people have done this for other applications. Thanks. Raghu ...

stop running process
If i am running a process i.e. F1 (setq compile-command "ant -emacs") how can I stop/break the process before it finished? * Khuong Dinh Pham <khuongdp@hotmail.com> | If i am running a process i.e. F1 (setq compile-command "ant | -emacs") how can I stop/break the process before it finished? If you start it with M-x compile, you stop it with M-x kill-compilation `kill-compilation' is an interactive compiled Lisp function -- loaded from "compile" (kill-compilation) Documentation: Kill the process made by the M-x compile command. ...