Dicom sngle-file vs. multi-file

Hello,

I'm jsut verifying that I'm understood correctly, please correct if
this is not right (and please also signal if the following is true...)

DICOM image contains elementarily HEADER and DATA.

HEADER contains typically patient information and information about
the image capturing modality.

DATA contain either one or many images.

If above is true, then could someone explain how DICOM format
encapsulates multiple images in one DICOM packet? Are the contained
images enlisted in the header?

Thanks,

-pom-
0
pompair
5/30/2008 7:40:50 AM
comp.protocols.dicom 4782 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On May 30, 9:40 am, pompair <timona...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm jsut verifying that I'm understood correctly, please correct if
> this is not right (and please also signal if the following is true...)
>
> DICOM image contains elementarily HEADER and DATA.
>
> HEADER contains typically patient information and information about
> the image capturing modality.
>
> DATA contain either one or many images.
>
> If above is true, then could someone explain how DICOM format
> encapsulates multiple images in one DICOM packet? Are the contained
> images enlisted in the header?

See PS 3.5 - 2008, section 8.2 NATIVE OR ENCAPSULATED FORMAT ENCODING

and section A.4 TRANSFER SYNTAXES FOR ENCAPSULATION OF ENCODED PIXEL
DATA for an example.

HTH
-Mathieu
0
Mathieu
5/30/2008 8:04:15 AM
Hello Pompair,

pompair wrote:
> Hello,
[...]
> DICOM image contains elementarily HEADER and DATA.
>
> HEADER contains typically patient information and information about
> the image capturing modality.
>
> DATA contain either one or many images.
[...]

this is too simplified to create a valid implementation of DICOM.

DICOM Data sets contain two types of Data: Payload data and Metadata.

Still simplified, Payload can be one or many of
* Images
* Waveforms
* General Measurement Data
* Signatures
* encapsulated data with formatting defined by other than DICOM.

Metadata can be of a plethora of information types such as Patient
identifying information, data presentation information, workflow
management information, encoded clinical information and much more.

If you want to learn about this, please start studying Part 3 of the
DICOM Standard available at http://medical.nema.org . Its a big volume,
but it's worth reading. You may pick the objects you are dealing with first.

All DICOM Information Objects are made up by a well defined combination
of Modules and / or Macros described in Part 3 (PS3.3-2008). These
define the Attributes required and allowed as well as their semantics in
the Information Object.

Only obeying all these normative rules you can really understand and
interpret DICOM Data set contents and create valid DICOM Data sets -
there is no easy way of q&d type.

Hope this helps,

Peter
0
Peter

New release of DICOM Detective available (a DICOM capture file and DICOM file viewer)
We released a more reliable DICOM Detective 1.02 with finding data element function, structure report viewer support and Japanese and Chinese support. You can download the 30 days trial at http://www.dicomtool.com/Install.exe You can try this version even the previous version expired. The structure report viewer is stand-alone software. You can use it for free without limit. Please uninstall the previous version before install the new version. Ask for the software key at service@dicomtool.com. DICOM Detective is a DICOM protocol analysis and simulation software tool dedicated t...

how to established the link between the CAD SR and Dicom File for draw the CAD SR marker on Dicom File
CAD SR File SOP instance UID 1.2.840.113986.3.10197.20090225.112659.896 this CAD SR file contains 4 Reference SOP Instance UID such as 1.2.840.113681.2205083097.3077.3412506770.58.1 1.2.840.113681.2205083097.3077.3412506770.54.1 1.2.840.113681.2205083097.3077.3412506770.56.1 1.2.840.113681.2205083097.3077.3412506770.52.1 having CAD SR file with 1)Graphic Data "28880/925" Graphic Type "POINT" 2)Graphic Data "2405/2402" Graphic Type "POINT" 3)Graphic Data "2102/2351" Graphic Type "POINT" I want to get the that CAD SR Marker write it back to my original Dicom File means how to link up the CAD SR Marker from CAD SR file to Dicom file which attribute are required to established the link between the CAD SR and Dicom File so that i can draw that particular cad sr marker on to the respective dicom file Hi Pritish I see. The problem you are having is probably related to the need to handle SR children by reference rather than by value. See DICOM PS 3.3 C.17.3.2.5. There are examples in PS 3.17 Annex E. The linkage between the SCOORD content item (that contains the Graphic Data attribute) and the image to which it applies is via the IMAGE content item that is a SELECTED FROM child of the SCOORD content item. In the case of Mammo CAD, this may either be by value (the IMAGE content item is nested within the Content Sequence of the SCOORD parent), or by reference, in which case the Referenced Cont...

Dicom ... how to read and write many dicom files ??
Hi All, Please tell me how to read and write many dicom files .. I mean writing all the files with the same SeriesInstanceUID . thanks in advance dannny On Jan 25, 11:03 am, "Dannyominov" <xrayspect...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > Please tell me how to read and write many dicom files .. I mean writing > all the files with the same SeriesInstanceUID . > > thanks in advance > > dannny Hi Danny Try or tak ideas from FEX #9036 Mira ...

[DICOM Files] Writing multiple frames to single file?
I have a .dcm file containing multiple frames. I use: for i=1 : frameNum f = dicomread(path2dcm, 'frames', i); % downsample f end to downsample each frame. But how do I write all the downsampled frames to a single .dcm file? I have looked at: dicomwrite but it does not seem to support this operation, any ideas? ...

changing DICOM info in a DICOM RD (dose file)
Hi all. I'm trying to modify a DICOM header of a totale radiotherapy plan consisting of: - DICOM image files - A DICOM RS file (structures) - A DICOM RP file (plan) - A DICOM RD file (dose ditribution) What I want to do is to change the UID's for the entire plan (all files). This is not a problem for the DICOM images, where I do the following: info = dicominfo(fname); %Reading dicom info image = (dicomread(fname)); %Reading image ** MODIFICATION OF INFO *** dicomwrite(t,'newfile',info,'CreateMode','Copy'); %Saving with modified info But I have some difficul...

Convert Doc files(.rtf, .doc etc) to DICOM files
Hi, How to convert a doc file(.rtf, .doc, ,docx) to DICOM files? devendra dhayal wrote: > How to convert a doc file(.rtf, .doc, ,docx) to DICOM files? In brief, you cannot :-) Long answer: DICOM is primarily used as an image format, but there are also several SOP classes for non-image information. This includes Structured Reporting (for structured data, including reports) and Encapsulated PDF, which is a PDF file "wrapped" into a DICOM header. There is no such encapsulated format for MS Word, and it is rather unlikely that there ever will be such a format. So your...

Create DICOM files from BMP,JPG,TIFF etc AND a file
I have been unable to locate a tool to perform the following process: -parse a text file containing patient demographics -read an image directory -output DICOM All of the utilities that I have seen require one to manually enter the demographic info (or pull it from a worklist) and I would like to see if I could automate the process. Thank you in advance S Deitsch webmaster@computerholistics.com SPEAKIT wrote: > I have been unable to locate a tool to perform the following process: > -parse a text file containing patient demographics > -read an image directory ...

Multiple DICOM images in single DICOM file Java API
I am looking for Java API that will read multiple DICOM image that are contained in a single DICOM file. We want to convert these images into lossless JPEG and store them as separate images Any help would be appreciated. ...

DICOM File Without File meta information and Size preamble
Hi all, i found dicom data set of a CT scanner (sop class is 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.2) and the files of this data set haven't got the file meta information (group 0002) and the size premble. In the standard P.S. 3-10 7 DICOM File Format seems that a file Dicom must have the file meta information (group 0002) and the size premble, so my question is: - this file is in a valid format? -What can I do with a file like this (I'm developing an application to read Dicom File). Thanks in advantage for your help MM > i found dicom data set of a CT scanner and the files of this data set haven't got > the file meta information (group 0002) and the size premble. In the > standard P.S. 3-10 > 7 DICOM File Format seems that a file Dicom must have the file meta > information (group 0002) and the size premble, so my question is: > - this file is in a valid format? > -What can I do with a file like this (I'm developing an application to > read Dicom File). Such files are not valid instances of the DICOM file format, but they are not unusual. Many (mostly older) DICOM toolkits/applications create such files. These files contain only the dataset without meta-header, which implies that the reader has to guess the Transfer Syntax, which cannot be deduced reliably from any part of the file. Therefore, readers typically assume that such files are a) Uncompressed b) Implicit VR Little Endian Transfer Syntax Some toolkits (...

DICOM files
Hi all, Am interested in calculating the Hounsfiled HU from DICOM image. How to do it? Any one pls reply. Thanks. ...

Multi-frame DICOM Image files
HI I am trying to display a multiframe image of dimension 128 X 128 X 1 X 16 in just one single frame collectivly. 'montage' is putting all the frames in one image but as an array (placing each frame side by side) and not as just one image of 128 X 128. 'imlincomb' is adding all the frames and giving a 128 X 128 image but its of no use as its white and black because of addition. Kindly help.. how to display this multi frame DICOM image in one frame. I already was able to display single frame dicom image. Thank you very much Tanuj <tanujpuri82@gmail.com> wrote in message <17421874.1210866680915.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum. org>... > HI > > I am trying to display a multiframe image of dimension > 128 X 128 X 1 X 16 in just one single frame collectivly. > > 'montage' is putting all the frames in one image but as an array (placing each frame side by side) and not as just one image of 128 X 128. > > 'imlincomb' is adding all the frames and giving a 128 X 128 image but its of no use as its white and black because of addition. > > Kindly help.. how to display this multi frame DICOM image in one frame. > > I already was able to display single frame dicom image. > > Thank you very much figure,imshow(image,[]) Using the '[]' scales the image for display. ...

file.exe file generation from file.m file
How to generate application (*.exe) file from *.m file, which has lots of graphics. Program was written for image watermarking by using image processing toolbox. I want to send this program some where else but with out sowing the program codes. By this *.exe no need to use matlab6.5 platform. Also tell me How to generate *.p file from *.m file Which is hide the code to user but for run this program need matlab6.5 Please give me some idea about it. it is very urgent for me. I will be very great full to you "Biswajit Kar" <hibiswajitkar@rediffmail.com> wrote in message ne...

Broken DICOM file: JP2 image file instead of code stream
Hello, I was recently submitted yet another broken DICOM file, it contains a JP2 compressed image (header info), instead of a J2K code stream: http://cvs.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/viewvc/gdcmData/ELSCINT1_JP2vsJ2K.dcm I anonymized it manually. For some reason the CD it was on, contained a RAW image and a compressed one right next to eah other. For some reason the Media Storage SOP Instance UID would contain the Root UID of Algotech (Implementation Class confirms that too), but all UID in the dataset contained the Root UID of TOSHIBA (image was acquired on TOSHIBA machine). HTH, -Mathieu ...

Get a dicom File from PACS, add a PDF File and then Upload Again to the PACS
Hello, I need to get a DICOM FILE (*.dcm) using a study UID or Accession Number, I need to get it to the local machine from a remote PACS Server machine, modify it adding a PDF Report using PDF2DCM and then Re Upload the new Dicom File using some DCTMK tool. I have no experience using this tools but, I'm trying it ;-) Thanks so much. On 27 oct, 09:31, Alejandro Fern=E1ndez <alejandrofernandezru...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I need to get a DICOM FILE (*.dcm) using a study UID or Accession > Number, I need to get it to the local machine from a remote PACS > Server machine, modify it adding a PDF Report using PDF2DCM and then > Re Upload the new Dicom File using some DCTMK tool. > > I have no experience using this tools but, I'm trying it ;-) > > Thanks so much. I don't understand why you need to get the Dicom file from the PACS and replace it by a PDF. Also, I don't think you can add a PDF without losing the original image's PixelData. Anyway, you can convert the PDF file to Dicom using pdf2dcm, this will create a new Dicom file. Now, you have to add all the needed data to make the new file related to the original study, such as StudyInstanceUID, AccessionNumber, PatientID, PatientName and some other useful data, using dcmodify (also from dcmtk), then you can send the new file to the PACS using storescu (again, from dcmtk). To know StudyInstanceUID, PatientID, etc, you can do a...

How to draw that marker into Dicom file with that position that I fount into CAD SR file
My CAD SR File 1.2.840.113986.3.10197.20090225.112659.896 with SOP Instance UID having 4 Reference SOP Instance UID such as 1.2.840.113681.2205083097.3077.3412506770.58.1 1.2.840.113681.2205083097.3077.3412506770.54.1 1.2.840.113681.2205083097.3077.3412506770.56.1 1.2.840.113681.2205083097.3077.3412506770.52.1 with CAD SR Marker on CAD SR file my question is that how to get the position of that CAD SR Marker and how to display that CAD SR Marker into their respective Dicom file means how to find out into which file cancer is detected i have to draw that marker into Dicom file with that position that i fount into CAD SR file ...

Is it really worth parsing the whole file just to know that it is not a dicom file?
Yes, my question comes in view of the dicom files where the DICM header is not present and the file starts with 0008,000X tag.... According to PS 3.10.... "The File Meta Information includes identifying information on the encapsulated Data Set. This header consists of a 128 byte File Preamble, followed by a 4 byte DICOM prefix, followed by the File Meta Elements shown in Table 7.1-1. This header shall be present in every DICOM file." Still, i can find DICOM files with header missing....so if we accept that yes a DICOM file minus the header is a dicom file which can only be parsed in the default transfer syntax (LittleEndianImplicit)...then how to decide without using the Data Dictionary that the file is not a dicom file? On 3 Wrz, 14:14, Atreya <atreya.da...@gmail.com> wrote: > Yes, my question comes in view of the dicom files where the DICM > header is not present and the file starts with 0008,000X tag.... > > According to PS 3.10.... > > "The File Meta Information includes identifying information on the > encapsulated Data Set. This header consists of a 128 byte File > Preamble, followed by a 4 byte DICOM prefix, followed by the File Meta > Elements shown in Table 7.1-1. This header shall be present in every > DICOM file." > > Still, i can find DICOM files with header missing....so if we accept > that yes a DICOM file minus the header is a dicom file which can only > be par...

Is it DICOM standard to store JPIP like DICOM files for Media Storage?
Hi Sir/Madam: This is the first time I see medical images storing on a CD with pixel data on a separate file *.pj2 and DICOM header on another file. Is this about JPIP? I read some information on Part 5 of the 2008 DICOM standard 8.4.1 JPIP REFERENCED PIXEL DATA and part 10 of the 2008 DICOM standard page 21 - Table 7.1-1DICOM File Meta Information Transfer Syntax UID (0002,0010) - JPIP Referenced Pixel Data Transfer Syntaxes are not used. (See PS 3.5 of the DICOM Standard). It seems JPIP is not for Media Storage. If it is for JPIP, Element (0028,7FE0) should be present, but I don't see Element (0028,7FE0) Pixel Data Provider URL in the DICOM header file, but Data Element (7FE0,0010) Pixel Data is not present. Thanks in Advanced. Wayne Tran Hi Wayne JPIP is not for media storage. This is not valid DICOM media. David enyaw_2010@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi Sir/Madam: > > This is the first time I see medical images storing on a CD with pixel > data on a separate file *.pj2 and DICOM header on another file. > > Is this about JPIP? I read some information on Part 5 of the 2008 > DICOM standard 8.4.1 JPIP REFERENCED PIXEL DATA and part 10 of the > 2008 DICOM standard page 21 - Table 7.1-1DICOM File Meta Information > > > Transfer Syntax UID (0002,0010) - JPIP Referenced Pixel Data Transfer > Syntaxes are not used. (See PS 3.5 of the DICOM Standard). > > It seems JPIP is not...

Software to save multi-frame DICOM file
Hi all, I am currently working on a Matlab program that opens a SPECT study and analyzes it after making some processing. For testing, I would like to create a "synthetic" SPECT that the program can read exactly as if it was a real SPECT. Problem is that I can't find software able to store a multi-frame image as a multi-frame image, all I have tried (basically ImajeJ with Tudor's Dicom Tools and Matlab's Dicomwrite function, but I have found no claims of other sofware saying they can do otherwise) produce one file per frame. Anybody? On Sep 3, 1:18=A0pm, "House (Jorge)" <JVPa...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I am currently working on a Matlab program that opens a SPECT study > and analyzes it after making some processing. > > For testing, I would like to create a "synthetic" SPECT that the > program can read exactly as if it was a real SPECT. =A0Problem is that I > can't find software able to store a multi-frame image as a multi-frame > image, all I have tried (basically ImajeJ with Tudor's Dicom Tools and > Matlab's Dicomwrite function, but I have found no claims of other > sofware saying they can do otherwise) produce one file per frame. > > Anybody? Hello, The DICOM standard allows multi-frame images in data sets (for example with Cine playback). If you want a toolkit to do this, then you can use the LEADTOOLS Medical Imaging 15 t...

Enhanced multi-frame DICOM conversion to single file
Has anyone successfully converted a multi-frame CT or MR enhanced DICOM object to a single multi-frame file? Thoughts? Thanks in advance! Greg-- -- Greg M. Silverman Senior Developer Analyst Cardiovascular Informatics University of Minnesota On Sunday, October 6, 2013 12:11:21 AM UTC+2, g...@umn.edu wrote: > Has anyone successfully converted a multi-frame CT or MR enhanced DICOM object to a single multi-frame file? Thoughts? I have had some success in the past using either gdcmtar (GDCM) and dcuncat (dicom3tools). On Sunday, October 6, 2013 10:53:33 AM UTC-5, Mathieu Malaterre wrote: > On Sunday, October 6, 2013 12:11:21 AM UTC+2, g...@umn.edu wrote: > > > Has anyone successfully converted a multi-frame CT or MR enhanced DICOM object to a single multi-frame file? Thoughts? > > > > I have had some success in the past using either gdcmtar (GDCM) and dcuncat (dicom3tools). Thanks! I was just looking at the GDCM tools last night and not sure which, if any, would work. I guess tar makes sense! I'll give it a whirl. Greg-- A tool for that is part of dcm4che 3.x: $ ./emf2sf --help usage: emf2sf [<options>] <dicom-file> The emf2sf utility converts a DICOM Enhanced CT, MR or PET Multi-frame image to legacy DICOM Single-frame CT, MR, PET images. - Options: -f,--frame <no[,..]> comma separated numbers of frames to convert; convert all frames by defa...

File.read(fname) vs. File.read(fname,File.size(fname))
Hi, this is my first post on ruby-forum. Hope this is useful to someone! I have learned from experience to avoid reading files using File.read(filename)... it gives terrible performance on even moderately large files. Reading large files line by line is much faster, and uses much less memory. However, there are cases when you do want the entire file in a single string. I just discovered that you can do this MUCH faster with File.read(filename,File.size(filename))... check this out: > File.size(bigfile) # not really that big... just 10 MB => 10531519 > Benchmark.bm do |bm|...

file extention from file file location
Hi, I am new to perl (only working on this one problem) but I program in other languages. We have an upload script written in cgi. Can anyone tell me how to get the file extension from the variable $File1 (actual file location on uploader's computer) then find out if it is equal to "txt" Thanks in advance for not telling me to read the manual. Ron -- PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible for their content. HOW TO POST to co...

Iteration through File.file? misses entries for which File.file?(entry) == true
Hello everyone, I'm new to Ruby, so I'm most likely making an elementary mistake. However, searching Google didn't help me find my answer, and after mucking around with irb I still haven't figured it out. I wrote a method that was intended to take all of the files in a given directory and put them into an array. Here's the code I wrote: def getFiles(dir) pwdFiles = Array.new Dir.foreach(dir) do |entry| pwdFiles.push(entry) if File.file?(entry) == true end end This works fine when called on the working directory --- that is, getFile...

[?] More precise: Convert multi layer XCF file into multi page PDF file
Hi all, subject says it basically all: I imported a multi page PDF in gimp, did some edits and saved it as multi layer XCF file. Now I want to convert that multi layer XCF file back into a single PDF file with multiple pages. As it did not work out of Gimp with either "print to file" or "save as", I tried Image Magick this way: convert file.xcf file.pdf where "file.xcf" has 7 text only layers (from imported PDF). The conversion worked without errors or warnings but the resulting file "file.pdf" got only the two last pages (page 6 and 7) in reversed...

m. file vs txt. file
I want to save the values of the elements of an electric circuit in a file and use them in an m. file. Would you save the values of the elements in a .txt file or a .mat file for such a work? Thanks to all who answer my humble questions Zeinab Ghofrani On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:27:37 -0400, Zeinab Ghofrani wrote: >I want to save the values of the elements of an electric circuit in a >file and use them in an m. file. Would you save the values of the >elements in a .txt file or a .mat file for such a work? > >Thanks to all who answer my humble questions >Zeinab Ghofrani Probab...

Web resources about - Dicom sngle-file vs. multi-file - comp.protocols.dicom

Nick Cave FAQ V3.4.1
Nick Cave FAQ=============(Version 3.5)Last updated: January 26th, 1998Latest Version available at: http://web.inter.NL.net/users/dvdhaven/cavefaq/ ...