DICOM vs .. "raw DICOM" ?

I'm looking at this sentence:
"Access and store images in DICOM or raw data DICOM formats to meet
medical digital communication standards "
It comes from here: http://www.gehealthcare.com/euen/ultrasound/ultrasound-it/echopac-pc/index.html

And all I can think is .. "Wait, what?" What exactly is the
difference? What do they _mean_ ?
0
trevoke (5)
11/24/2009 6:54:27 PM
comp.protocols.dicom 4782 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Hello Trevoke,

Trevoke wrote:
> "Access and store images in DICOM or raw data DICOM formats to meet
> medical digital communication standards "

DICOM or raw DICOM... wait, _what_? ;o)

> What exactly is the
> difference? What do they _mean_ ?

Probably the author of this sentence is referring to storage of private
information as DICOM Raw Data IOD. Just guessing: This may refer 3D
Ultrasound data which is described in Supplement 43.

Supplement 43 was released in April 2009 and defines:

Enhanced US Volume Storage 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.6.2
Arterial Pulse Waveform Storage 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.9.5.1
Respiratory Waveform Storage 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.9.6.1
General Audio Waveform Storage 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.9.4.2

Maybe Supp. 43 was released too late for the device discussed on this
page to make its objects Supplement 43 compliant. Thus it stores the
"modern" data objects not in Enhanced Ultrasound IOD but as DICOM Raw
Data instead.

DICOM Raw Data IOD has the advantage over private IODs that Storage and
Retrieval can be ensured in a "Store-and-Forward" manner without having
to support an extra (private) IOD.

A PACS for instance only has to support DICOM RAW Data IOD (PS3.3-2008
A.37, SOP Class UID 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.66).

The RAW Data IOD is a container for privately encapsulated data, i. e.
besides the Patient/Study/Series/Frame of Reference/General Equipment
information, all data is privately defined. But the PACS can rely on the
presence of the 4 or 5 modules above and thus provide the data
appropriately to an application requesting it, even if the PACS itself
cannot interpret the rest of the data object.

It would be nice to see the Supplement 43 Enhanced US IODs supported,
but we should not slam a vendor for not supporting a supplement that has
been released last April in a Product that was released in 2006 (!) and
may well have had years of effort to develop.

Supplement 43 was a tough one and took years itself.

In a nutshell: The RAW objects may not be the real McCoy to store
Ultrasound data now as Supplement 43 is released, but at least, a decent
PACS should be able to store and retrieve it, so the US application in
the box is able to resume work on it.

Maybe the vendor is even storing information in RAW Data IOD that is not
covered by DICOM by now, so using Raw IOD might be a plus somehow... as
long as you have the box still up and running...

My EUR 0.02,

Peter
0
Peter
11/24/2009 9:15:37 PM
I believe GE ultrasound products currently store their raw
data as a private data element inside a standard DICOM
ultrasound image object.

This feature can be turned on and off by configuration.

See, for example, the EchoPAC Dimension DICOM Conformance
Statement at:

  "http://www.gehealthcare.com/usen/interoperability/dicom/docs/EY141MSC__DicomConformanceStatement.pdf"

The entire Ultrasound product family's statements can be
found here:

  "http://www.gehealthcare.com/usen/interoperability/dicom/products/ultrasound_dicom.html"

David

Trevoke wrote:
> I'm looking at this sentence:
> "Access and store images in DICOM or raw data DICOM formats to meet
> medical digital communication standards "
> It comes from here: http://www.gehealthcare.com/euen/ultrasound/ultrasound-it/echopac-pc/index.html
>
> And all I can think is .. "Wait, what?" What exactly is the
> difference? What do they _mean_ ?
0
David

Chpater 4 of the DICOM Tutorial series on "DICOM is Easy"
Introduction to DICOM - Chapter 4 - DICOM Objects http://dicomiseasy.blogspot.com/2011/12/chapter-4-dicom-objects-in-chapter-3.html ...

Code Value for DICOM Device "Workstation" = "WSD" or "WST"?
I just stumbled over an inconsistence between the code value "WSD" for "Workstation" specified in DICOM PS 3.16 - 2008 (and also in previous editions), CID 30 DICOM Devices, and the code value "WST" specified in IHE IT Infrastructure Technical Framework - XDS-SD Supplement (Trial Implementation Version) [ http://www.ihe.net/Technical_Framework/upload/IHE_ITI_TF_Supplement_XDS_Scanned_Docs_TI_2007_08_20.pdf ], p.21, line 453. "WSD" is also listed as value for Conversion Type (0008,0064) in several IOD modules in DICOM Part 3. Gunter Zeilinge...

how do I create a DICOM "exam" from a bunch of "series"
Hello, I am a radiologist using Osirix to create teaching files and then pushing t= hem to a dcm4chee server so my trainees can access them via a web portal I = created. (I also used Osirix to remove identifying information so these ar= e anonymous exams and these are only being used inside my teaching institut= ion). Sometimes I am taking series from different studies of the same patient and= using Osirix to merge them into a single study (for example a chest X-ray = from 1 day into a CT scan from another visit), which is an option in Osirix= (merge selected studies). Howe...

Is mime type "image\dicom+jpeg" the same as "image\jpeg" ?
PS3.18, 7.1, Single Frame Image Objects, mentions mime type image\dicom+jpeg but never defines it. (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2045 ?) It this equivalent to image\jpeg in that the body part consists of only the pixels rendered as jpeg (with optional transfer syntax specified) image/dicom+jpeg; transfer-syntax=1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.50 or is image\dicom+jpeg meant to contain the entire dicom object with pixels in JPEG? Equivalent to multipart/related=application/dicom+jpeg I favor the image\jpeg interpretation but I have a co-worker concerned about the "dicom" in image/d...

GE "raw DICOM" in ultrasound- what does it mean exactly?
I am trying to understand the exact meaning of the "raw DICOM" format used by GE in the EchoPack software. Do the data stored in this format contain only imagas not compresed to any format such as JPG (and for this reason called raw) or is it possible (using configuration options) to store real raw data (before the reconstruction/image formation) such as RF (hardly probable) or so called baseband or envelope data? Thanks, Beata lesniak@mchtr.pw.edu.pl wrote: > I am trying to understand the exact meaning of the "raw DICOM" format > used by GE in the Ech...

Relationship among "Patient Position (0018,5100)" and "Patient Gantry Relationship Code Sequence (0054,0414)" and "Scan Direction" in PET Dicom image
in PET=E3=80=80Dicom image file, there are both "Patient Position (0018,510= 0)" and "Patient Gantry Relationship Code Sequence (0054,0414)" tags. For e= xample, "Patient Position" value is "HFS", while "=EF=BC=880008,0104=EF=BC= =89Code Meaning" tag value in "Patient Gantry Relationship Code Sequence (0= 054,0414)" may be "headfirst".=20 I understand that "HFS" means that patient head is near to the gantry while= patient feet is far from the gantry, but "HFS" does not have the meaning w= hether...

"perl" vs "site" vs "vendor"
I've been using Perl for years, but I must confess I have *no idea* what the ExtUtils::MakeMaker documentation means by the terms "perl", "site", and "vendor" in the table INSTALLDIRS set to perl site vendor PERLPREFIX SITEPREFIX VENDORPREFIX INST_ARCHLIB INSTALLARCHLIB INSTALLSITEARCH INSTALLVENDORARCH INST_LIB INSTALLPRIVLIB INSTALLSITELIB INSTALLVENDORLIB etc., etc. (Infuriatingly enough, this POD doesn't deign...

"The DICOM Standard" document
Hello all, I am beginner in DICOM. Where could I get The DICOM Standard document in pdf format? Regards, Guntis. On 7/3/12 8:38 AM, Guntis Eiduks wrote: > I am beginner in DICOM. Where could I get The DICOM Standard document in pdf format? Here: ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/2011/ or here: http://medical.nema.org/standard.html indexed at: http://www.dclunie.com/dicom-status/status.html The DICOM Home Page is here: http://dicom.nema.org/ David On Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:38:27 AM UTC-4, Guntis Eiduks wrote: > Hello all, > ...

DICOM SR "problems"
Hi! We are doing an enterprise solution comprising of four different PACS- system and three different RIS-system. All imaging information is known by a central repository. When we now started to create SR-objects out of the RIS-system in a central SR-creator we see that some PACS-system have trouble handling the "complete" DICOM study. During the creation of SR-serie we generate Serie nr to 1 for the first SR-serie and 2 for the next and so on. When some PACS-system recalls thoose studies the have problem reading the correct study date due to that the see the SR-object lo...

Are there "versions" of the DICOM standard?
Hello there, are there some "versions" of the dicom standard? As I looked into the difference-document of the data dictionary from 2007 to 2008 I've found some value multiplicity changes from '1-n' to '1' on page 59 of the pdf version. Does this mean that with this standard all occurences of those elements have to provide the actual value multiplicity? Or can some modalities support the VM of '1-n' further... ignoring the current standard? Regards, mikachu The DICOM standard is usually developed in a way that is "compatible" to...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

Quick Tip: Dicom "Send To"
Hi, I want to share a quick tip with you. I made it on Windows 7 but similar, maybe even simpler, this can be done on Mac or Linux box. Send dicom files or folder containing dicom files via DICOM using "Sent to" menu. 1) Install command line dicom send scu - for example DCMTK 3.6.0 [1] 2) Create shortcut in SentTo folder to the aplication ( for Win7 see [2] ) 3) In the properties menu of shortcut fill command line opts. In my case: "<pathToDCMTK>\storescu.exe +r +sd -v -aec MYPACS 172.1.20.6 4006" 4) Rename shortcut to eatitle of your destination. No...

"Native DICOM Model" and PixelData
I have question about the "Native DICOM Model" described in PS3.19. I am trying to save the Pixel Data element using the InlineBinary option. The DICOM dataset that I am converting contains a multi-frame, JPEG compressed image with two frames. Below is a representation of the pixel data, Group number ................. 7FE0h Element number ............... 0010h Element name ................. Pixel Data Value representation ......... OW Reserved ..................... 0000h Element size ................. -1 (FFFFFFFFh) Group number ................. FFFEh Eleme...

DICOM "ping" functionality needed
My goal: To develop a software tool to check out basic DICOM daemon functionality. While I don't need to develop a full daemon myself I do wish to determine if a daemon is running and responsive. 1. I have the facilities to connect to a server and request a connection via a certain port. What sequence of events takes place after I open a port? 2. How does a basic handshake take place between a client and a server? i.e. Client opens port to server, someone sends a specific piece of data, someone responds with a specific response, etc. 3. I know the AE title comes...

Regarding " WRITING DICOM IMAGES"
Hi people, Can anybody explain how to write a DICOM image using IDL? I want to do something like extract the header and pixel information from a DICOM image and create a new DICOM file. This is the same as copying,but can anybody explain this? Thanks, Bala bala murugan wrote: > Hi people, > > Can anybody explain how to write a DICOM image using IDL? > > I want to do something like extract the header and pixel information > from a DICOM image and create a new DICOM file. This is the same as > copying,but can anybody explain this? > > Thanks, &g...

DICOM files "OT" modality
Hi I just start to learn DICOM and need to export a few files in DICOM format. I create a wrapper DICOM files with the "OT" modality and attached a file in one of each private field in each DICOM files, what other attributes must I declare (add to these files) to send them to a PACKS server ? Appreciate any help. Ran ...

eFilm "category" DICOM viewer
Hello, As we recognized Merge had done some rise in prices, so eFilm Workstation for one year is $800, and a no-limit version costs $3100. That's why we are looking for another DICOM viwer with the following key features: - display images/series of images on dual screens - ability to connect to a PACS and retrieve examinations - ability to write DICOM CDs is an advantage Can you suggest us a viewer cheaper than eFilm Workstation? Thanks in advance, Peter ...

"or" and "and"

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

"my" and "our"

Web resources about - DICOM vs .. "raw DICOM" ? - comp.protocols.dicom