Where in the dicom standard...

I am looking for information on the physical location of a pixel in an
image.
I am sure this has to do something with Image Position and Patient
Position & Orientation, slice location etc..
Where in the dicom standard can i find the description of these keys
in the context of an MRI image.

I'm curious as to how these relate to like a physical location in the
MR Machine.
I mean you can put a patient in the scanner and know that they are
going in lying down, head first, feet up.
The patient is moved and an image slice is acquired and these fields
will be filled in in the slice header.
Unless there is a marker on the patient table at the top of the head
that you align the patient to how can you know the point in the
anatomy...

TIA.
0
SpreadTooThin
10/21/2008 5:50:37 PM
comp.protocols.dicom 4782 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On Oct 21, 7:50=A0pm, SpreadTooThin <bjobrie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for information on the physical location of a pixel in an
> image.
> I am sure this has to do something with Image Position and Patient
> Position & Orientation, slice location etc..
> Where in the dicom standard can i find the description of these keys
> in the context of an MRI image.
>
> I'm curious as to how these relate to like a physical location in the
> MR Machine.
> I mean you can put a patient in the scanner and know that they are
> going in lying down, head first, feet up.
> The patient is moved and an image slice is acquired and these fields
> will be filled in in the slice header.
> Unless there is a marker on the patient table at the top of the head
> that you align the patient to how can you know the point in the
> anatomy...

I think the math you are looking for is in PS 3.3 - 2008, page 317-318

C.7.6.2.1.1 Image Position And Image Orientation

Not being a radiologist myself, I also like PS 3.17 - 2008, page 13-
and up for explanation of orientation and defined terms.

HTH
-Mathieu
0
Mathieu

DICOM protocol analyzer and simulator(DICOM Detective)
I developed a DICOM protocol analyzer and simulator called DICOM Detective. Anyone can download it from my website http://www.dicomtool.com and try it. The serial number is "EVALUATION". Any advice is welcome. DICOM Detective is a DICOM protocol analysis and simulation software tool dedicated to PACS maintenance people, DICOM servicemen, programmers, consultants, radiologists or people working with DICOM networks. Using the DICOM Detective, PACS maintenance people and DICOM servicemen can analyze the DICOM communication problem online immediately and DICOM programmers can s...

dicom to dicom converter
Hi all, it seems that my dicom libraries do not accept proprietary dicom, so I'm wondering if there is some program to easily convert proprietary dicom images to standard dicom images! thanks, Mauro On Sep 10, 4:38 am, mauro <mauro.austra...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > it seems that my dicom libraries do not accept proprietary dicom, so > I'm wondering if there is some program to easily convert proprietary > dicom images to standard dicom images! Hi Mauro, It depends on what you call proprietary dicom and it depends on what you call standard ...

Is it DICOM standard to store JPIP like DICOM files for Media Storage?
Hi Sir/Madam: This is the first time I see medical images storing on a CD with pixel data on a separate file *.pj2 and DICOM header on another file. Is this about JPIP? I read some information on Part 5 of the 2008 DICOM standard 8.4.1 JPIP REFERENCED PIXEL DATA and part 10 of the 2008 DICOM standard page 21 - Table 7.1-1DICOM File Meta Information Transfer Syntax UID (0002,0010) - JPIP Referenced Pixel Data Transfer Syntaxes are not used. (See PS 3.5 of the DICOM Standard). It seems JPIP is not for Media Storage. If it is for JPIP, Element (0028,7FE0) should be present, but I don't see Element (0028,7FE0) Pixel Data Provider URL in the DICOM header file, but Data Element (7FE0,0010) Pixel Data is not present. Thanks in Advanced. Wayne Tran Hi Wayne JPIP is not for media storage. This is not valid DICOM media. David enyaw_2010@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi Sir/Madam: > > This is the first time I see medical images storing on a CD with pixel > data on a separate file *.pj2 and DICOM header on another file. > > Is this about JPIP? I read some information on Part 5 of the 2008 > DICOM standard 8.4.1 JPIP REFERENCED PIXEL DATA and part 10 of the > 2008 DICOM standard page 21 - Table 7.1-1DICOM File Meta Information > > > Transfer Syntax UID (0002,0010) - JPIP Referenced Pixel Data Transfer > Syntaxes are not used. (See PS 3.5 of the DICOM Standard). > > It seems JPIP is not...

DICOM Default Transfer Syntax (DICOM Standard PS3.5-2011, 10.1)
According to Section 10.1 of PS3.5-2011 Standard on page 63, it explains that =93DICOM default Transfer Syntax requirements, a) and b), are waived when the Application Entity sending the pixel data has only access to the pixel data in Lossy compressed form and a Transfer Syntax that uses a pixel data reference is not offered=94. It also explains that =93Every sending AE is required to be able to convert any dataset it is going to transmit into the default Transfer Syntax, regardless of the form in which it originally received or stored the data set, except in the single case of when it received it in a Lossy compression form. In that exceptional case, the sending AE is permitted to propose only the Lossy compressed Transfer Syntax appropriate to the Lossy form that was received=94 (this statement is the last NOTE at the bottom of page 63). Does this means that AE (in this case the modality) is not required to offer DICOM Implicit VR Little Endian but can just offer JPEG Lossy (1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.50) if the AE (modality) creates an image using DICOM Lossy? If this is true then shouldn=92t all PACS be able to support JPEG Lossy (1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.50) in addition to the default Implicit VR Little Endian? Thank you in advance for your feedback. On 4/30/12 1:28 PM, Shinichi Boman wrote: > Does this means that AE (in this case the modality) is not required to > offer DICOM Implicit VR Little Endian but can just offer JPEG Lossy > (1.2.84...

Dicom RT/ Dicom overlays
Hi, First off, I am new to the site so please bear with me and feel free to offer up any advice on how to better pose questions for this forum. Now on to the nitty gritty. I am currently trying to overlay contours contained in a Dicom RT 'STRUCT' file onto CT slices that are in the standard Dicom format. So far I have been able to overlay the contour (of a Brainstem) onto the correct CT slice. The problem arises from there being an inherent offset of the contour to the actual CT slice. I am trying to rectify this but have been unsuccessful so far. I have noticed that the header of...

dicom protocol.
Hi all, I am trying to make a decision on, if have to write the dicom protocol from scratch? Are there any previously developed libraries for this compatible for use with JAVA? plz help regards, Rajesh Rapaka. Hi Rajesh, check this website: http://www.dclunie.com/ rob Rajesh.Rapaka wrote: | Hi all, | | I am trying to make a decision on, if have to write the dicom protocol | from scratch? Are there any previously developed libraries for this | compatible for use with JAVA? plz help | | regards, | Rajesh Rapaka. If you can deal with the terms of the LGPL (actually fairly easy) then try this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dcm4che/ -Kelly Rajesh.Rapaka wrote: > Hi all, > > I am trying to make a decision on, if have to write the dicom protocol > from scratch? Are there any previously developed libraries for this > compatible for use with JAVA? plz help > > regards, > Rajesh Rapaka. Hello Rajesh; If you are willing to consider a commercial toolkit, you should take a look at the DICOM Connectivity Framework (DCF) at http://laurelbridge.com/products/ Regards, Bronson Hokuf Rajesh.Rapaka wrote: > Hi all, > > I am trying to make a decision on, if have to write the dicom protocol > from scratch? Are there any previously developed libraries for this > compatible for use with JAVA? plz help > > regards, > Rajesh Rapaka. ...

New release of DICOM Detective available (a DICOM capture file and DICOM file viewer)
We released a more reliable DICOM Detective 1.02 with finding data element function, structure report viewer support and Japanese and Chinese support. You can download the 30 days trial at http://www.dicomtool.com/Install.exe You can try this version even the previous version expired. The structure report viewer is stand-alone software. You can use it for free without limit. Please uninstall the previous version before install the new version. Ask for the software key at service@dicomtool.com. DICOM Detective is a DICOM protocol analysis and simulation software tool dedicated t...

Dicom
Hello @all, is there a possibility to export a file from Matlab into Dicom which can be opened with the MPI-Tool. Thanks! The image processing toolbox contains a nice interface to handle dicom files. See the help for: DICOMWRITE,DICOMINFO, DICOMREAD I also suggest to use the available latest ImgProc tlbx for you, because the most of new release of ImgProcTlbx has new extensions for the dicom functions. Laszlo M. wrote: > > > Hello @all, > > is there a possibility to export a file from Matlab into Dicom > which > can be opened with the MPI-Tool. > > Thanks! Tha...

Default standard non-privileged port number 11112 for DICOM protocol; use for C-MOVE
Many DICOM applications running in user mode without root access do not permitted access to the �well known port� 104. Over time, many different non-privileged ports have been used by various vendors instead. IANA has assigned a standard �registered� port number 11112 that may be used when port 104 is inaccessible. See: ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/cp/cp603_02.pdf and http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers In an environment where network configuration is not centrally managed, being able to successfully "guess" what port number is likely to work may...

DICOM header printing through DICOM printing
Hi, Actually we wanted to print DICOM image using DICOM print management. So we are implementing DICOM print SCU. But the problem is along with the image we also want to print some infomations like patient name and patient ID etc..Is there any possible way for that?? Thanks and Regards, Surendra >Actually we wanted to print DICOM image using DICOM print management. >So we are implementing DICOM print SCU. >But the problem is along with the image we also want to print some >infomations like patient name and patient ID etc..Is there any >possible way for that?? we burn-in some overlays into the image data to be printed. works with any printer AND is more flexible than the features of dicom-print layout etc. Hi Surendra Elsewhere you mentioned use of the Annotation Box SOP Class for this. In general, I agree with Sacha, you are better off "burning in" exactly what annotations you intend to appear in the pixel data. Do not depend on overlays, and do not depend on annotations; these may not be widely or consistently supported. Only if there is a quality issue with the resolution at which you render (and anti-alias) the text that you are burning in (e.g., perhaps for Kanji rather than Latin characters) before sending it to the printer should you even consider a more sophisticated approach. As a rule, you should expect no more of a printer than what the IHE CPI profile requires for Print Server actors, and you s...

what are differences between a dicom node and a dicom server.
hello, i have build a smal client based on dcmtk. this client is cappable : C- echo, C-find, C-move. no more ( not C-store scu or more...) just simples questions. what is a dicom node and what are differences between a dicom node and a dicom server. ? my client is a dicom node ? to be a dicom node my client need a send/transfert fonction (-C-store scu) ? thanks I am not aware of any definition/use of the terms "dicom server" or "dicom node" in the standard text. DICOM 3.15-2008, Annex H Application Configuration Management Profiles, defines DICOM "Devices" which contains "Network Connections" and provides "Network Application Entities", which itself are available/uses a sub-set of the "Network Connections" contained by the "Device" and has "Transfer Capabilities". According that, your client represent a DICOM Device with only one active (=3D not listening) Network Connection, used by the only one provided Application Entity which has Transfer Capabilities only as SCU for Verification and Common Query/Retrieve SOP Classes. -- gunter zeilinger Agfa Healthcare On Sep 23, 7:16=A0pm, lordg...@gmail.com wrote: > hello, > i have build a smal client based on dcmtk. this client is cappable : C- > echo, C-find, C-move. no more ( not C-store scu or more...) > > just =A0simples questions. > > what is a dicom node and what are differences betw...

Converting Non DICOM Images to DICOM
Hi, I am working on a project that generate DICOM files from other images like JPEG,BMP,PNG etc. My question is which SOP Class UID should i use?. Should i go with Secondary Captured Image UID or is their any other standard SOP Class UIDs for other images to DICOM conversion. Thanks > I am working on a project that generate DICOM files from other images like JPEG,BMP,PNG etc. > My question is which SOP Class UID should i use?. > Should i go with Secondary Captured Image UID or is their any other standard SOP Class UIDs for other images to DICOM conversion. If you are con...

DICOM 2013 Standard
Hi all The 2013 edition of the DICOM standard is now available from the NEMA ftp site: ftp://medical.nema.org/MEDICAL/Dicom/2013/ It is also indexed from my status page at: http://www.dclunie.com/dicom-status/status.html David Hi all The 2014a edition of the DICOM standard is now available from the NEMA ftp site: ftp://medical.nema.org/MEDICAL/Dicom/2014a/ It is also indexed from my status page at: http://www.dclunie.com/dicom-status/status.html This replaces the 2013 release. The changes from the 2013 release are shown highlighted in PDF files; feedback is sought on whether these highlighted PDF change files are useful or not: http://www.dclunie.com/dicom-status/status.html#DiffsStandard20132014a David Hi David, > The 2014a edition of the DICOM standard is now available from the NEMA > ftp site: thank you for the update! > The changes from the 2013 release are shown highlighted in PDF files; > feedback is sought on whether these highlighted PDF change files are > useful or not: In my opinion, these "part??_changes.pdf" files are extremely useful to see= what has changed. However, did I miss a ZIP file or do one has to download= these files individually? Regards, J=F6rg Hi J�rg There is a zip file of the change PDFs too, but the NEMA server ran out of disk space when I tried uploading it last night. So in the interim until that is fixed, you can get it from...

Dicom communication protocol
Dear all, I'd like to learn more about Dicom communication protocol. Taking a look in internet seems that I need the document "PS 3.9-1993 Point to point communication" from Nema or something similar (or newer). Unfortunately this doc seems very rare. In the mean time reading a log file from a TCP/IP sniffer I have written a simple in c++ a Dicom protocol analyzer. This software shows the meaning of every single byte of a Dicom packet. In order to write a SCP (server) application I need to know how to replay to the client. Anybody have this Doc? Or a similar doc? Anybody have sam...

what dicom freeware allow dicom receiving and viewing?
understand that efilm currently no longer a freeware. Does anyone know besides efilm, any other dicom freeware allow dicom receiving and dicom viewing and preferably allow create cd ? There is a free DICOM viewer in www.fruitfruit.com. But I never heard that any free dicom viewer can create cd. paperplane <paperplanefly@yahoo.com> wrote: > understand that efilm currently no longer a freeware. Does anyone know > besides efilm, any other dicom freeware allow dicom receiving and > dicom viewing and preferably allow create cd ? <URL:http://irad.sf.net/> Works g...

DICOM vs .. "raw DICOM" ?
I'm looking at this sentence: "Access and store images in DICOM or raw data DICOM formats to meet medical digital communication standards " It comes from here: http://www.gehealthcare.com/euen/ultrasound/ultrasound-it/echopac-pc/index.html And all I can think is .. "Wait, what?" What exactly is the difference? What do they _mean_ ? Hello Trevoke, Trevoke wrote: > "Access and store images in DICOM or raw data DICOM formats to meet > medical digital communication standards " DICOM or raw DICOM... wait, _what_? ;o) > What exactly is the > difference? What do they _mean_ ? Probably the author of this sentence is referring to storage of private information as DICOM Raw Data IOD. Just guessing: This may refer 3D Ultrasound data which is described in Supplement 43. Supplement 43 was released in April 2009 and defines: Enhanced US Volume Storage 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.6.2 Arterial Pulse Waveform Storage 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.9.5.1 Respiratory Waveform Storage 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.9.6.1 General Audio Waveform Storage 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.9.4.2 Maybe Supp. 43 was released too late for the device discussed on this page to make its objects Supplement 43 compliant. Thus it stores the "modern" data objects not in Enhanced Ultrasound IOD but as DICOM Raw Data instead. DICOM Raw Data IOD has the advantage over private IODs that Storage and Retrieval can be ensured in a "Store-an...

information about Dicom report, Dicom structured report
Hello, Someone could explaine me what is exacly a DICOM report ?? i have see some web dicom solution ( siemens). But i dont understand what is exacly a dicom report. what is her focntion ? i would know if a client dicom must have a scu or scp dicom report ? and finalyt what is the different between a DICOM report and DICOM structured report ? DICOM structured report is a part of dicom 3.0 or not ? i know , lot of question :P... sorry.. Thanks On Oct 20, 7:22=A0pm, lordg...@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > Someone could explaine me what is exacly a DICOM report ?? > i have see some web dicom solution ( siemens). > But i dont understand what is exacly a dicom report. what is her > focntion ? > =A0i would know if a client dicom must have a scu or scp dicom report ? > > and finalyt what is the different between a DICOM report and DICOM > structured report ? =A0 DICOM structured report is a part of dicom 3.0 > or not ? > > i know , lot of question :P... sorry.. > > Thanks Hi, Please go through this site and you will find lots of presentation on Structured Reporting. I think it will help you regards Nagaraj ...

Dicom ... how to read and write many dicom files ??
Hi All, Please tell me how to read and write many dicom files .. I mean writing all the files with the same SeriesInstanceUID . thanks in advance dannny On Jan 25, 11:03 am, "Dannyominov" <xrayspect...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > Please tell me how to read and write many dicom files .. I mean writing > all the files with the same SeriesInstanceUID . > > thanks in advance > > dannny Hi Danny Try or tak ideas from FEX #9036 Mira ...

DICOM and Papyrus standard
Last week I started learning about DICOM, but it is as much fun as reading a telephone book. Everything is in there, only far too abstract for my taste. So for the big experts here, I have a question: OSIRIS has some DICOM standard: Papyrus That stores a dataset in a DICOM compatible format but as one single file. Is this a widly used format or is it only used by OSIRIS??? The thing is we generate cross-section datasets (TIFF and BMP files) and want to make it readable by most DICOM viewers are there any tips of hints which way to go? . Another question: *.dcm files seems to be a set of typical DICOM files containing one layer of a cross-section. I still have this mystery thing how the cross section is saved (format). I have the impression that it is just an 2D array of bytes, words,... Is this correct? And what format does most viewers support? (We can create 16 bit grey level cross sections here) > Last week I started learning about DICOM, but it is as much fun as reading a > telephone book. Everything is in there, only far too abstract for my taste. Somebody once compared DICOM to a novel that was issued in separate volumes order by nouns, verbs, adjectives etc., alphabetically ordered and cross-referenced ;-) > OSIRIS has some DICOM standard: Papyrus That stores a dataset in a DICOM > compatible format but as one single file. > Is this a widly used format or is it only used by OSIRIS??? Papyrus is an Osiri...

Confused by DICOM standard
Hi guys, I'm currently working on a project in which we'll have to produce DX DICOM files. When reading the 'Study'IE, I feel confused by the >Include SOP Instance Reference Macro Table 10-11 which tells that my file must include a "Referenced SOP Class UID" (0008,1150) and "Referenced SOP Instance UID" (0008,1155) tags to be in conformance with the standard. I do not understand these tags are of type 1 because we may not always reference an Instance nor a SOP class. I'm afraid I miss something... Can someone help me ? Thanks Vincent Vincent, You will see that this is always part of a Sequence. So the rules of the sequence must be used first. If they apply you need to fill in the mentioned UID's For most of the sequences using this Macro you will notice it is either type 3 or states a condition that gives you the opportunity to leave it empty. This mechanism is used in a lot of places to make sure that if a certain condition is met you need to fill in the details. With this the standard can extend objects in many cases without breaking with historical data. And make sure that essential data that is available is stored. By the way if you reference another study you will have both UID's. Wim On Monday, April 8, 2013 9:33:45 PM UTC+5:30, V Daanen wrote: > Hi guys, > > > > I'm currently working on a project in which we'll have to produce DX ...

JPIP in DICOM Standards
Hello, Currently we are working on a tele-radiology solution. I read that the DICOM consortium (WG4) is planning to include JPIP as part of standard and final draft should be ready by June 2004. I request fellow developers and authors to share their knowledge on this. With regards Ravindran Padmanabhan. ...

Introduction to DICOM - Chapter III
http://dicomiseasy.blogspot.com/2011/11/introduction-to-dicom-chapter-iii-dicom.html ...

Dicom headers query, specifically Dicom RT
Hi to all, Just had a quick question about accessing the full parameter list for dicom/dicom RT files. I am using someone else's starter code to open the dicom RT file and when I display the header not all of the available parameters are listed there. In the code template that I am using several paramters are referenced but I have no idea where they are coming from. They appear to be very useful and I would like to be able to manipulate them in later coding I just have no idea how extensive the final list is or where to begin to look for it! If anyone has any idea how to unlock the full...

changing DICOM info in a DICOM RD (dose file)
Hi all. I'm trying to modify a DICOM header of a totale radiotherapy plan consisting of: - DICOM image files - A DICOM RS file (structures) - A DICOM RP file (plan) - A DICOM RD file (dose ditribution) What I want to do is to change the UID's for the entire plan (all files). This is not a problem for the DICOM images, where I do the following: info = dicominfo(fname); %Reading dicom info image = (dicomread(fname)); %Reading image ** MODIFICATION OF INFO *** dicomwrite(t,'newfile',info,'CreateMode','Copy'); %Saving with modified info But I have some difficul...

Web resources about - Where in the dicom standard... - comp.protocols.dicom

Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
St. Catharines Standard , a St. Catharines, Ontario, newspaper Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;additional ...

Aiken Standard - Local News Updated throughout the Day
Your Source for local news in Aiken, South Carolina. Visit our site for recent updates, video, breaking news, and much more.

Business Standard :: Business News,Finance News, World Business, India Stock News, Indian stock market ...
Business Standard, Indias leading business newspaper, provides latest news on stock markets, investing, companies, industry, banking, finance, ...

Leader Standard
Former England striker Beattie, a former team-mate of Monk's at Southampton, was appointed first-team coach this summer, with his prime responsibility ...

Manila Standard Today - Latest News in the Philippines
Manila Standard Today - Latest News in the Philippines

The Weekly Standard - A Weekly Conservative Magazine and Blog of News and Opinion.
The Weekly Standard - A Weekly Conservative Magazine and Blog of News and Opinion.

Bulletin Standard
Breaking USA News & Headlines; Latest News and Current News from America, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San ...

Sub-standard plan for Defence
You'll get more detail from an aspiring Chinese dairy company than our government.

Sub-standard plan for Defence
You'll get more detail from an aspiring Chinese dairy company than our government.

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Apple Watch (refurb) from $235, DJI Phantom 3 Standard Drone $439, free apps, more ...
... TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: Daily Deals: Apple Watch Sport (Refurb) starting at $235 , LG Watch Urbane (Refurb) $144 , more DJI Phantom 3 Standard ...