finding out parent DNS of local DNS or local forwarder

Hello,

1. What is the way to find out the parent DNS of local DNS server? I
have no access to the local DNS, except port 53.

2. If there is a way to find out parent DNS of local DNS, can I trace
all the DNSes until the root server?

--
Best Regards,
Vishwas.

He gives twice who gives quickly.  --  Publisus Mimus

0
Vishwas
6/4/2007 12:14:15 PM
comp.protocols.dns.bind 16245 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

finding out parent DNS of local DNS or local forwarder (provided FQDN is not defined)
Hello, (sorry for the previous mail with incomplete info.) 1. What is the way to find out the parent DNS of local DNS server? I have no access to the local DNS, except port 53. And the local network has not been registered with any DNS. 2. If there is a way to find out parent DNS of local DNS, can I trace all the DNSes until the root server? -- Best Regards, Vishwas. ivishwas.googlepages.com He gives twice who gives quickly. -- Publisus Mimus ...

local dns - isp dns
Hi! We are going to organize a little lan party in a few weeks. so we set up a dhcp, webserver, some gameserver and a dns server. our tld is .lanparty and sld is oldgamers. so we can access all server via server1.oldgamers.lanparty, www.oldgamers.lanparty aso. everything is working fine. but now we also got an internet connection and i would like to forward? the requests to internet domains throught our dns server. our gateway-pc has two nics - 192.168.0.1 is, of course, our local ip. our dhcp server normally assignes all pc�s with our local dns server ip. so internet doesn�...

find local DNS
Is there a way to find a local DNS server programmatically.. other than using the resolver or resolv.conf. Thanks Swapna --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter now. ...

Re: find local DNS
At 08:37 PM 9/7/2004, Swapna Prasad wrote: >Is there a way to find a local DNS server programmatically.. other than >using the resolver or resolv.conf. > DHCP >Thanks >Swapna > ...

local DNS
Hi, Something make me confuse. I didn't config the "root hint zone" in the local DNS server configuration file "named.conf". But I can still resolv internet domain, why ? Thanks ! --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter now. ...

Re: find local DNS #2
Hi How do I get the DNS server IP address from the DHCP Server. What is the procedure to be followed. the main purpose is for my application to find the local DNS server without the need to manually enter the IP address. Thanks Swapna Danny Mayer <mayer@gis.net> wrote: At 08:37 PM 9/7/2004, Swapna Prasad wrote: >Is there a way to find a local DNS server programmatically.. other than >using the resolver or resolv.conf. > DHCP >Thanks >Swapna > --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Shop for Back-to-School deals on Yahoo! Sho...

DNS bind configuration for local addresses
Hi: I am trying to figure out how to configure my named.conf and bind to look-up local addresses without the need to have a domain registered. I would like to define a local net that resolves all my local boxes at home. My idea is to define a zone localdomain.localnet and then have all my boxes defined for that zone. I set-up a localdomain.localnet zone in the named.conf file and then defined the boxes in the /var/named/db.localdomain.localnet file. But that seems not to be the complete configuration. I do not get the addresses resolved at all that are defined in that f...

DNS bind configuration for local addresses #2
Hi: I am trying to figure out how to configure my named.conf and bind to look-up local addresses without the need to have a domain registered. I would like to define a local net that resolves all my local boxes at home. My idea is to define a zone localdomain.localnet and then have all my boxes defined for that zone. I set-up a localdomain.localnet zone in the named.conf file and then defined the boxes in the /var/named/db.localdomain.localnet file. But that seems not to be the complete configuration. I do not get the addresses resolved at all that are defined in that f...

bind as slave DNS to windows AD dns server
Hi, I'm trying to setup BIND named to be a slave a MS Windows 2008 server's AD domain. I set it up to be the slave and it works fine and I can resolv A records from the domain on the slave bind. However I can't resolve some SRV records like _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.DOMAIN Without this functionality a windows PC is unable to connect to the windows domain. At first it looked like the Windows DNS server gave BIND a partial zone file. Later after some googling I realized it has something to do with dynamic updates which I don't know how to set up and am not f...

Copying dns zones from a master dns to master bind
Hello, i'd like to change my current master dns for a bind 9 dns. I'd like to know if there is a way to importing all the zones i manage in my current dns to bind without having to do it manually because i've got a lot of zones ... My current dns server doesn't have exporting zone options ... Any help appreciated Thanks Pierre In article <c7ggj1$1oku$1@sf1.isc.org>, pierre.chevallier@option-service.fr (Pierre Chevallier) wrote: > Hello, > > i'd like to change my current master dns for a bind 9 dns. > > I'd like to ...

DNS Bind don't resolve local names
To run some virtual name-bases hostson my apache webserver, i want to add some DNS A entries in my DNS server. I have the follwing configuration: ======== named.conf: options { directory "/etc"; pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid"; forwarders { 10.0.0.137; }; }; zone "obsdetrampoline.nl" { type master; file "/etc/obsdetrampoline.nl.hosts"; }; ======== obsdetrampoline.nl.hosts: obsdetrampoline.nl. IN SOA 10.0.0.1. info.obsdetrampoline.nl. ( 1124462130 10800 3600 604800 30M ) obsdetrampoline.nl. IN NS 10.0.0.1. www.obsdetram...

Internet DNS forwarders causing Intranet DNS servers to be unresponsive?
We have 2 intranet DNS servers that point to our 2 internet DNS servers as forwarders and we have noticed that if we have problems with our Internet connection that the intranet DNS servers are unresponsive. In one case we got the following errors and had to restart named: Apr 21 14:12:14 hpadm1 /usr/local/sbin/named[1033]: client 172.17.100.9#53: no more recursive clients: out of memory Apr 21 14:12:14 hpadm1 /usr/local/sbin/named[1033]: client 172.17.133.5#10001: no more recursive clients: out of memory Apr 21 14:12:14 hpadm1 /usr/local/sbin/named[1033]: client 10.0.227.214...

DNS server having DNS server
Scenario: Computer A: doesn't have bind installed. Its DNS points to computer B. Computer B: has bind installed, is a valid DNS server, has its DNS server set to PC C. Computer C:has bind, is a valid DNS server, on another network somewhere. If B does a query for hetzner.co.za, it asks C to do this. Heres the question: A asks for hetzner.co.za, B gets the query, does it do the look-up or does it defer it to C? In article <bnjkon$2ut8$1@sf1.isc.org>, shaun bugler <sb@hetzner.co.za> wrote: >Scenario: >Computer A: doesn't have bind installed. Its DNS p...

bind as slave DNS to windows AD dns server #2
Aleksander Kamenik <aleksander@krediidiinfo.ee> wrote: >I'm trying to setup BIND named to be a slave a MS Windows 2008 server's >AD domain. > >I set it up to be the slave and it works fine and I can resolv A records >from the domain on the slave bind. However I can't resolve some SRV >records like > >_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.DOMAIN > >Without this functionality a windows PC is unable to connect to the >windows domain. > >At first it looked like the Windows DNS server gave BIND a partial zone >file. Later after some go...

securing dns against dns attack
hello; my network has been under a dns attack for several days. i have secured all dns severs with the following globals options: allow-transfer { 204.238.34.200; 204.238.34.206; }; allow-query { 204.238.34.0/24; }; allow-recursion { 204.238.34.0/24; }; i have also configured two more dns name servers to basically absorb the attack. absorbing the dns attack does nothing to reclaim the bandwidth used by the attack. currently, my network address block, is being dropped. before i bring the network address block back up i would like to know of any other...

DNS delegation on Linux Bind vs Windows DNS failing
Good morning, I have a slight problem with a DNS delegation that just won't work on Linux Bind. I have testdomain.com configured on a Windows DNS server as the master and the same zone on a slave Linux Bind. Windows/Linux zone configuration (zone.testdomain.com on master sdns01-01.testdomain.com (Windows) and sdns02-01.testdomain.com (Linux Bind)) ======================================================================== === sdns01-01.testdomain.com. IN A 127.0.0.1 sdns02-01.testdomain.com. IN A 127.0.0.2 ddns01-01...

DNS, IS THERE A SCHEME DNS REPLACEMENT?
? gavino skrev: > ? No. -- Jens Axel S�gaard On Sun 06 Aug 2006 13:05, "gavino" <bootiack@yahoo.com> writes: > ? What do you mean by replacement? There is a DNS client library and a DNS server for scsh. -Eric -- "Excuse me --- Di Du Du Duuuuh Di Dii --- Huh Weeeheeee" (Albert King) Eric Knauel wrote: > On Sun 06 Aug 2006 13:05, "gavino" <bootiack@yahoo.com> writes: > > > ? > > What do you mean by replacement? > > There is a DNS client library and a DNS server for scsh. > > -Eric there is a dns serv...

[DNS] Dns cache type
Hi, Does anyone have any idea what kind of algorythms we can use to discard = DNS cache and how to specify it? Thx. Cordialement Jeremy MAURO -- Jeremy MAURO Email: mailto:jeremy.mauro@wanadooportails.com --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.572 / Virus Database: 362 - Release Date: 27/01/2004 =20 ...

Is it possible to forward dns queries if unable to contact a DNS server?
Hi there, I have a strange issue based upon the fact that our IPv4 name space was once included on old Bogons lists. (I'm sure that you all know what that is however - "Bogons is the name used to describe ip blocks not allocated by IANA and RIRs to ISPs and organizations plus all other ip blocks that are reserved for private or special use by RFCs (the actual term "bogons" comes from word "bogus", as in bogus ip announcements).") Occasionally we encounter DNS servers which are configured with an out-dated Bogon list and we are unable to resolve any of their domains, Is it possible to configure bind to forward dns requests which it cannot resolve to another DNS server? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you, Paul England Auckland, New Zealand ...

bind and dns forwarding
Hello all, I have 2 bind dns servers in my company. One of them (dns1)for internet and other one (dns2) for WAN requests. My all clients and servers's dns settings; first dns dns2 and second dns dns1. I am looking from my firewall, my local dns is asking dns requests to internet dns servers. I do not want to give access for my local dns for dns requests from internet. How can i configure my local dns for ask all of the dns requests only to my own internet dns? Thanks and best regards Tanzer GENC ...

local dns server
Hi, I'm currently using my rh 9 linux box as a router/firewall/network server etc... I'm wondering about making it run a DNS Server, the idea being it'll cache my dns queries, so for pages i visit often it wont have to go to my isp's dns. (Reason being that my isp's dns is down at the moment so it would protect me from that yes? ) How do i do that? Thanks for any suggestions/help!! Cheers, Dam On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:44:20 +0100, Dan Keeley <madman_dan@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I'm currently using my rh 9 linux box as a router/firewall/network...

DNS local zone
I am using bind and I am trying to setup local zone for local computer. I would like to be able send emails to user@monitor - this is the zone file $TTL 86400 @ IN SOA monitor. email.monitor. ( 3 ; Serial 604800 ; Refresh 86400 ; Retry 2419200 ; Expire 604800 ) ; Negative Cache TTL ; NS ns MX 10 mx ns A 192.168.0.210 mx A ...

NAT and local DNS
I have an 1811 and 2 servers behind it using NAT. The problem is other systems on the local net cannot access these servers, due to the nature of NAT. I know BIND supports views, but we are running the windows DNS service rather than BIND. Is there any way for us to solve this problem without using HOSTS or local subdomains? ...

Setup Local DNS
Hi, I have Fedora Core4 (BIND9.3.1). I want to setup local Dns for our corporate network.....our outside DNS is already being maintained by an ISP...and is wokring fine. For example: I want to hit mail.ourdomain.com from inside our LAN ....Fedora Core4 is BIND9.3.1 Can anybody help me ..I m a newbie... Thanks in advance khan ...

Web resources about - finding out parent DNS of local DNS or local forwarder - comp.protocols.dns.bind

Freight forwarder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Forwarders contract with a carrier to move the goods. A forwarder does not move the goods but acts as an expert in supply chain management . ...

Notes on setting up an ELK stack and logstash-forwarder
... when I revisit it next. Some notes: Used Jeff Geerling's ansible-role-logstash for the main setup of the ELK server I have Used logstash-forwarder ...

Google search results have a forwarder between results list and actual URL? - Google Product Forums
Unfortunately, this means that when I try to click "back" to get back to my list of results, I cannot - I keep getting stuck on this forwarding ...

Page Forwarder Sends You to Web Pages You've Been Meaning to Read
... why not take that productivity tip up a notch? Instead of simply blocking a site, use that time to catch up on your reading list. Page Forwarder ...

Freight forwarder advises colleagues to support fight against sub-standard products
The founder, National Association of Government Approved Freight Forwarders (NAGAFF), Dr. Boniface Aniebonam, has advised freight forwarders, ...

Japanese air freight forwarders fined $18.9M for price-fixing
Two Japanese air freight forwarding companies agreed Friday to plead guilty and pay $18.9 million in criminal fines in a conspiracy to fix air ...

Singapore fines Japanese freight forwarders for price fixing
Singapore fines Japanese freight forwarders for price fixing

Japanese air freight forwarders fined $18.9M for price-fixing
Two Japanese air freight forwarding companies agreed Friday to plead guilty and pay $18.9 million in criminal fines in a conspiracy to fix air ...

Japanese freight forwarders to pay $18.9 mil. for price-rigging
Japanese freight forwarders to pay $18.9 mil.