Problems Configuring Bind on Windows Server 2003

Hi Guys,

I have a Windows 2003 Virtual Private Server and I'm trying to
configure it with a BIND DNS Server so my web hosts can point a domain
name to it.  I've installed BIND9.4.2 on the server using some good
instructions I found here:

http://alex.charrett.com/technical/bind-on-windows.html

I've followed all the instructions of the guide, and have configured
and started BIND server service on the box.

I think all the configuration went well and the file named.conf (I
hope) is OK, but there was a single instruction from the above guide I
had difficulty understanding and wasn't able to complete when editing
the db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt file, the instruction was in the
section "Configure your zone", the instruction was as follows:

>>Substitute nameserver-hostname for the hostname of your nameserver.

What follows is the entire contents of db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt
as it currently stands:

*** START FILE db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt *****

$TTL 6h
@	IN SOA	your-nameserver.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.
hostmaster.greatScottsRobin.co.uk. (
			86400 )

@		NS	your-nameserver.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.

your-nameserver	IN A	195.216.193.223

*** END FILE db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt *****

I think the instruction is to replace the reference 'your-nameserver'
in the file but I'm not sure what the hostname of the nameserver is?

My Web Host company tells me that we need to point a domain name at
the name server:

ns4.ukhosts4u.com

And I need to provide them with the name servers for them to make this
change.

My Questions
-------------------

1.) Could this be the name server (ns1.ukhost4u.com) be what I need to
replace the reference 'your-nameserver' in the zone file (above)?

2.) Also there is a reference to 'hostmaster' in
db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt does this need to be replaced with any
different configuration?

3.) How do I go about giving my Web Hosts the name servers they asked
for? ( My networking knowledge is very limited, and I'm more of a
developer so I'm struggling a bit with this )

I'd be very grateful for any help with this, as I think configuration
is nearly there.

Cheers
Alun

0
Alun
4/24/2008 2:09:17 PM
comp.protocols.dns.bind 16245 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

DNS Problems

bind Bind or BIND?
When talk to others, I never describe it clearly for naming bind. is it "bind" or "Bind" or "BIND"? is bind an abbreviation word? Thanks. ...

Configuration Notes on Windows 2003 Server
Hello every body. Sorry for my very bad english, but i'll try to explain my problem to you. My network countain windows 2000 server with active directory. A Lotus User have install a 6.5 version of lotus in a windows 2003 server not domaine controler. He have configured the DNS of this server with a IP of my provider for receiving and transmit pop and smtp message. With this configuration, my server not respond very quickly for different request like a simple ping, or for a terminal server administration session. How can be configure the network address in this server, for a go...

Zone Transfer Problems: Windows 2003 Server to Linux Bind
I am trying to re-establish a zone transfer with another organization that has just upgraded from Windows 2K to 2003. I am using Bind 9.2.1 on a Debain 3 system. The transfer was working before but now I see this error since they have upgraded: Sep 14 01:38:57 compt-ns3 named[18471]: transfer of 'occaudit ..org.IN' from 192.169.140.12#53: resetting Sep 14 01:38:57 compt-ns3 named[18471]: transfer of 'occaudit.org/IN' from 192.1/ 68.140.12#53: failed while receiving responses: REFUSED Sep 14 01:38:57 compt-ns3 named[18471]: transfer of 'occaudit.org/IN' f...

Bind 9.1 As SOA with Windows 2003 DNS Server
Currently in an NT 4 domain with a Windows 2003 DNS server. The Bind server is the SOA for the zone. We plan to keep the BIND server as the SOA. The BIND server has multiple interfaces, so it is serving DNS internally and externally on our network. Firewall rules block computers from performing dynamic DNS updates to the BIND server. We want the dynamic updates to happen on the Windows 2003 DNS server. Network traces prove that the computers only attempt to update the BIND server after performing an SOA query. Obviously, we are not using Active Directory Integrated DNS nor do I know ...

Zone Transfer Problems: Windows 2003 Server to Bind 9
I am trying to re-establish a zone transfer with another organization that has just upgraded from Windows 2K to 2003. I am using Bind 9.2.1 on a Debain 3 system. The transfer was working before but now I see this error since they have upgraded: Sep 14 01:38:57 compt-ns3 named[18471]: transfer of 'occaudit ..org.IN' from 192.169.140.12#53: resetting Sep 14 01:38:57 compt-ns3 named[18471]: transfer of 'occaudit.org/IN' from 192.1/ 68.140.12#53: failed while receiving responses: REFUSED Sep 14 01:38:57 compt-ns3 named[18471]: transfer of 'occaudit.org/IN' f...

Re: Bind 9.1 As SOA with Windows 2003 DNS Server
"Skywalker" <lcorda@hotmail.com> wrote: >Currently in an NT 4 domain with a Windows 2003 DNS server. The Bind >server is the SOA for the zone. We plan to keep the BIND server as the >SOA. The BIND server has multiple interfaces, so it is serving DNS >internally and externally on our network. Firewall rules block >computers from performing dynamic DNS updates to the BIND server. We >want the dynamic updates to happen on the Windows 2003 DNS server. >Network traces prove that the computers only attempt to update the BIND >server after performin...

RE: Zone Transfer Problems: Windows 2003 Server to Bind 9
Have them click start, programs go to administrative tools and select DNS Expand forward lookup zones Right click on the zone name that you want to allow to be transferred and go to properties. Click on the zone transfer tab Check the allow transfer zone and have them input the IP address of your server and click add They can also add you in to the notify server list as well. To do so, click notify button on the zone transfer tab Have them put your IP there as well Click OK twice and start and stop dns Good luck and email if you need further help or clarification. Thanks, Be...

Re: Zone Transfer Problems: Windows 2003 Server to Linux Bind
To check if zone transfers is allowed on a W2k DNS Server: on the W2k DNS server--> right click on zone and select properties In the properties display: click on zones transfer tab check if the "allow zone transfers" is checked verify slave servers for the zone is the server list or if "Only to servers listed on the Name Servers tab" is checked, ...

Re: Zone Transfer Problems: Windows 2003 Server to Linux Bind #2
Brian wrote: >> I am trying to re-establish a zone transfer with another organization >> that has just upgraded from Windows 2K to 2003. I am using Bind 9.2.1 >> on a Debain 3 system. The transfer was working before but now I see >> this error since they have upgraded: >> >> Sep 14 01:38:57 compt-ns3 named[18471]: transfer of 'occaudit >> .org.IN' from 192.169.140.12#53: resetting >> Sep 14 01:38:57 compt-ns3 named[18471]: transfer of 'occaudit.org/IN' >> from 192.1/ >> 68.140.12#53: failed while receiv...

bind as slave DNS to windows AD dns server
Hi, I'm trying to setup BIND named to be a slave a MS Windows 2008 server's AD domain. I set it up to be the slave and it works fine and I can resolv A records from the domain on the slave bind. However I can't resolve some SRV records like _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.DOMAIN Without this functionality a windows PC is unable to connect to the windows domain. At first it looked like the Windows DNS server gave BIND a partial zone file. Later after some googling I realized it has something to do with dynamic updates which I don't know how to set up and am not f...

bind as slave DNS to windows AD dns server #2
Aleksander Kamenik <aleksander@krediidiinfo.ee> wrote: >I'm trying to setup BIND named to be a slave a MS Windows 2008 server's >AD domain. > >I set it up to be the slave and it works fine and I can resolv A records >from the domain on the slave bind. However I can't resolve some SRV >records like > >_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.DOMAIN > >Without this functionality a windows PC is unable to connect to the >windows domain. > >At first it looked like the Windows DNS server gave BIND a partial zone >file. Later after some go...

Making windows 2003 DNS work with old BIND 8 DNS
OK - SO here is the set up. Have an NT 4.0 domain now. About 10,000 client machines, some part of the domain, some not. I am migrating the domain to a Win 2003 Active Directory domain. The main DNS servers are AIX machines, BIND 8.0.x. The DNS team will not make any changes to play nice with AD - well they will add any static type entries we need, but they won't up the bind level. I don't want to have the clients change anything on their side. They will continue to point to the main AIX DNS servers. SO - the question is, how do I (or can I) configure DNS on the Windows server ...

BIND DNS server problem
Hi I have problem with my intrnal DNS server which points to ISP DNS servers directly , it can resolve local names , bu tnot the Internet . Hi ,there is there anybody can help me on this problem . > hp Server: test.com Address: 10.0.111.133 Name: hp Served by: - a.root-servers.net 198.41.0.4 - h.root-servers.net 128.63.2.53 - c.root-servers.net 192.33.4.12 - g.root-servers.net 192.112.36.4 - f.root-servers.net 192.5.5.241 - b.root-servers.net 128.9.0.107 - j.root-servers.net 198...

problem with a dns server bind
Hello I'm french, sorry I don't speak very well english. I wish to make my local DNS server. I set up a debian computer with this following data. The server don't run but I don't know where is the problem. Can somebody help me please. Thank you!! Vincent. name of the machine : debian name of the dns : somex.lan fichier hosts 127.0.0.1localhost 127.0.1.1debian.SomexFR.localdebian 192.168.1.55debian.somex.localdebian # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback fe00::0 ip6-localnet ff00::0 ip6-mca...

RE: Making windows 2003 DNS work with old BIND 8 DNS
Would they be willing to delegate a child zone to the Windows 2003 DNS servers? Say your zone is kings.com have them delegate something like ad.kings.com to the Windows DNS boxes. On the MS boxes just create ad.kings.com zones and have your servers register with them. This isn't really a BIND issue (at least with this solution) My company is going through the exact same thing, migrating from NT4 to 2K3 with BIND controlling the top of the zone. Feel free to contact me if you need more detail. Robert Aitchison -----Original Message----- From: gretzkygirl44@yahoo.com [mai...

problem running bind / bind utils on windows xp
Hi, I just installed bind 9.3.0 on windows xp. And running any tool which came along with it fails. e.g. nsupdate: socket.c:1374: unable to convert errno to isc_result: 1450: Nicht gen�gend Syste mressourcen, um den angeforderten Dienst auszuf�hren. (translation of the german part: not enough system resources to start the requested service) ; Communication with 10.243.48.1#53 failed: timed out could not talk to specified name server dig: errno2result.c:66: unable to convert errno to isc_result: 1450: Nicht gen�gend S ystemressourcen, um den angeforderten Dienst auszuf�hren....

Re: Making windows 2003 DNS work with old BIND 8 DNS #2
gretzkygirl44@yahoo.com (GG) wrote: >OK - SO here is the set up. Have an NT 4.0 domain now. About 10,000 >client machines, some part of the domain, some not. I am migrating the >domain to a Win 2003 Active Directory domain. The main DNS servers are >AIX machines, BIND 8.0.x. >The DNS team will not make any changes to play nice with AD - well >they will add any static type entries we need, but they won't up the >bind level. I don't want to have the clients change anything on their >side. They will continue to point to the main AIX DNS servers. SO - >...

Re: Making windows 2003 DNS work with old BIND 8 DNS #3
I wrote: BF> To summarize what I have posted in the past: BF> BF> 1) Use a MS W2k/W2k+3 DNS Server for the "_" zones; use AD-integrated BF> zones on ONLY ONE Domain Controller. BF> BF> 2) Have those four (six for 2003) zones slaved on your BIND servers. and Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard@Tesco.NET> replied: >Both of those are bad advice. There's no reason to explicitly restrict >the use of Active Directory integrated "zones" to just one domain >controller. Indeed, doing that prevents one from reaping ...

Binding or not binding
Hello, Could you please first excuse me if my past and maybe future posting in this group were (will be) sometimes awkward. But I will really like to be more active using and promoting Ada. I was really interested by the thread about "How come Ada isn't more popular?" I would like to have your opinion about the best way to go in the future, and in particular if binding a C library is really the way to go. When we talk about reuse does it mean reusing the libraries done in an other language ? Re-implementing zlib in Ada for example. Is it a waist of time ? How to choose...

AW: problem running bind / bind utils on windows xp
Hi, thanks, that made me remember some limitations in sockets by microsoft in windows xp. My system has been setup from scratch last week, but I cannot remember those limitations. Is anybody able to help? Regards, Ralf -----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht----- Von: Peter Dambier [mailto:peter@echnaton.serveftp.com] Gesendet: Dienstag, 31. Januar 2006 11:29 An: Kleinfeld Ralf Cc: 'bind-users@isc.org' Betreff: Re: problem running bind / bind utils on windows xp Kleinfeld Ralf wrote: > Hi, > I just installed bind 9.3.0 on windows xp. > > And running a...

Secure Bind DNS server problem
I am trying to secure my DNS BIND version 9.2.5 servers so I found this template Secure BIND Template Version 4.8 12 APR 2005 By Rob Thomas, robt at cymru.com After disabling these that complained at startup... //pid-file "/var/named/named.pid"; //memstatistics-file "/var/named/named.memstats"; I got the server up and running. And successfully tested from inside. But I noticed these in the logs right away. Apr 18 13:46:11 daffy named[24498]: client 71.4.246.96#32770: query 'ptera.net/IN' denied Apr 18 13:46:16 daffy named[24498]: client 19...

Help
> Dear sir > I have a problem about bind query a domain aplus-beto.com.tw, his dns = server are=20 > =20 > The domain aplus-beto.com.tw authoritative servers are=20 > Domain servers in listed order: > aplus-beto.com.tw 211.23.229.58 > www.aplus-beto.com.tw <http://www.aplus-beto.com.tw> = 211.23.229.58 > mail.aplus-beto.com.tw 211.23.229.58 > ftp.aplus-beto.com.tw <ftp://ftp.aplus-beto.com.tw> = 211.23.229.58 > (check by twnic) > = =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D...

AW: problem running bind / bind utils on windows xp #2
Hi, I found the solution to the problem, tcpip.sys has to be replaced because windows XP - SP2 is limiting the (half) open connections. After replacing it, everything works fine. There is a description available, but I only have it in german. Here is the Link to an FAQ on german heise: http://www.heise.de/ct/faq/result.xhtml?url=/ct/faq/hotline/04/21/58.shtml&w ords=Tcpip%20sys Regards, Ralf -----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht----- Von: Kleinfeld Ralf Gesendet: Dienstag, 31. Januar 2006 12:01 An: 'peter@echnaton.serveftp.com' Cc: 'bind-users@isc.org' ...

Web resources about - Problems Configuring Bind on Windows Server 2003 - comp.protocols.dns.bind

Configuring Your Xcode Project for Distribution
Describes the common workflows to develop, test, and distribute your app.

Installing and configuring Graphite
Here are some notes I jotted down while installing and configuring Graphite, which isn't a trivial task, although the official documentation ...

Configuring Android Data Binding Just Got Easier
The [Android Data Binding Guide](https://developer.android.com/tools/data-binding/guide.html) was recently updated with a new way to configure ...

Hands on: Configuring Apple's NetBoot service, Part 1
NetBoot allows admins to use the same network-based image for Macs throughout a network; here are some tips and tricks for making it work for ...

Configuring a secure Ubuntu Linux Virtual Private Server
... acid which is a web based application to be able to view snort alerts $ sudo apt-get install acidbase Select No when it prompts you for configuring ...

Custom Configuring Java Apps: Extending log4j
Creating an extended, server-side version of a log4j Logger that automatically configures itself and adds printf -like logging methods to the ...

T-Mobile networks start configuring themselves, thanks to Eden Rock
T-Mobile US has tapped Eden Rock Communications , a Seattle-area wireless networking startup, to add some self-awareness to its networks. Eden ...

Why NASA Is Re-Configuring Part of the International Space Station
NASA robotics flight controllers are preparing for moving day at the International Space Station.

Configuring two wireless routers with one SSID (network name) at home for free roaming - Scott Hanselman ...
Scott Hanselman on Programming, User Experience, The Zen of Computers and Life in General