Kerberos KDC

Hello All,

I am trying to set up a Kerberos 5 KDC on my servers.  I run Windows IIS 6.0
and our management does not want to use Kerberos through AD.  I was
wondering if anyone could help me on where to start.

Thanks in advance
0
ssdesai1 (7)

MIT Kerberos KDC & W2K Client: Changing expired password issueMIT Kerberos KDC & W2K Client: Changing expired password issue
Hi, I also experienced the same problem as William G.Zereneh (http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/kerberos/2004-May/005341.html). I'm able to change the password using ctrl-alt-del, but when the password is expired and windows asks me to change the password, I encountered "Domain MIT.REALM.COM is not available" error. As I sniff the packet, it noticed that it sent a CLDAP query message with filter: (&(DnsDomain = MIT.REALM.COM)(Host = myhostname)(NtVer=\006) which is returned NULL by my _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.REALM.MIT.COM How to resolve this problem ? maybe there's a missing entry in my DNS ? Is it mandatory for the MIT Kerberos KDC (I installed it on RedHat Linux) to have an LDAP service to resolve the CLDAP request ? and can LDAP actually entertains CLDAP request since LDAP is using TCP while CLDAP is using UDP ? Can I resolve the CLDAP request using Windows 2000 server instead ? Any ideas will be very appreciated Regards from newbie, lara ===== ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ La vie, voyez-vous, ca n'est jamais si bon ni si mauvais qu'on croit - Guy de Maupassant - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger. http://messenger.yahoo.com/ ____________________________________...

Help on Unix kerberos client->win2k3 kerberos KDC
Hello, I am a newbie to kerberos authentication, and what I am trying to do is to use a Unix ldap client authenticate to the win2k3 server, and add a user to it. The way I tried to do is by following MIT's tutorial and sample code under www.mit.edu/afs/athena/astaff/project/ ldap/AD99/kerberossamp.txt. and I configured the Unix machine based on Microsoft tutorial http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/security/kerbsteps.asp =========> I can successfully import a tgt from win2k3 KDC server by running kinit, here is the result: $ kdestroy $ kinitPassword for mw...

MIT Kerberos or Heimdal Kerberos?
Hi, How do I know the server install in the system is MIT Kerberos or Heimdal? I m using FreeBSD 5.2.1 Thanks sam ...

migration from Kerberos 4 to Kerberos 5
Hello, I have a few questions about migration to a new Kerberos version. In fact, the goal is to migrate a network with Kerberos 4 to the Kerberos 5(under Lin8x): 1) Do I have to reinstall Kerberos from the scratch or are there packages that allow to update the version? 2) What about the users that I created, are they still valid or will user information be lost. Part of the network uses already an LDAP directory, do I suppose this will not be a problem for this part, but in general, how can I migrate my user-accounts to the new version? 3) What about the clients, do I have to re-install the Kerberos-client on each workstation or can I use the "old" Kerberos clients? Could anybody answer my questions and perhaps give me some good hints for the migration respectively point me to some good documents? Thanx, CB ...

FTP and Kerberos
Hi, I get the following Kerberos related error when i do FTP from another machine(redhat 9.0) to my machine(redhat 9.0). How to solve this problem ? Should i Need to start/stop some daemons ? here is what happens when i do FTP !!! --------->>>>>>>>> Here is it .....>>>> Connected to 107.108.89.173. 220 localhost.localdomain FTP server (Version 5.60) ready. 334 Using authentication type GSSAPI; ADAT must follow GSSAPI accepted as authentication type GSSAPI error major: Miscellaneous failure GSSAPI error minor: No credentials cache found GSSAPI error: in...

MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos
Greetings, everyone. We run a number of Solaris 8 systems using Sun's SEAM PAM implementation and MIT's Kerberos (which we're up to date on). We are starting to look at Solaris 10, and are hoping to move towards Sun's implementation of Kerberos. We are having a bit of trouble getting the two to talk properly, however. If we SSH (from production to test, for example) to a Solaris 8 machine, then we can rlogin (Kerberized) to the Solaris 10 machine and, from there, rlogin to a Sol8 machine again. If, however, we SSH directly to the Solaris 10 machine, we cannot rlogin to a Solaris 8 machine. Doing various experiments (for example, trying to ksu on the Sol 10 machine), the only error we ever get is: ksu WARNING: Your password may be exposed if you enter it here and are logged in remotely using an unsecure (non-encrypted) channel. Kerberos password for ux5p@ATCOTEST.CA: : ksu: Server not found in Kerberos database while geting credentials from kdc Authentication failed. Doing an rlogin to a Sol 8 machine gives no errors at all; it just quietly fails. The above error seems to indicate that the Solaris 10 Kerberos isn't passing the tickets to the Sol 8/MIT Kerberos servers (which, based upon certain differences, would not be a big surprise). Has anyone gotten this to work? The Sol 10 system is using the default Solaris 10 PAM implementation as well; not sure if this is part of the problem, but the configuration files are significantly different. Th...

question about MIT Kerberos KDC processing PROXY KDC requests
Hello, I understand that proxiable/proxy tickets are rarely used and the corresponding code in the MIT Kerberos implementation is not very well tested. However, I found two possibly buggy places in the KDC code, so I think this is worth asking about. I used the MIT Kerberos distribution and was able to make proxiable/ proxy tickets work, but had two make two changes in the KDC source code. I would like to ask if these are really bugs or not. We use the MIT Kerberos 1.6.3 release. Both suspicious places are in kdc/ kdc_util.c, validate_tgs_request(): 1. line 1144: if (request->kdc_options & NO_TGT_OPTION) { if (!krb5_principal_compare(kdc_context, ticket->server, request_server)) { *status = "SERVER DIDN'T MATCH TICKET FOR RENEW/FORWARD/ETC"; return(KDC_ERR_SERVER_NOMATCH); } } NOT_TGT_OPTION is defined as: #define NO_TGT_OPTION (KDC_OPT_FORWARDED | KDC_OPT_PROXY | KDC_OPT_RENEW | KDC_OPT_VALIDATE) The KDC returns an error here if the server principal in the ticket does not match the one in the KDC request. I can see how this check is required for the "forwarded", "renew" and "validate" KDC requests. However, for a proxy ticket request, it seems that: - the ticket must be a TGT with ticket->server = krbtgt/R1@R2, for some R1 and R2 - the KDC request must have a server principal request->server = the target application server's Kerberos principal Should the #define NO_TGT_OPTI...

Solaris 10 Kerberos KDC ignores settings in kdc.conf
I've configured Sun's Kerberos on a solaris 10 box. Everything seams to work straight, creating database, creating principles etc.. But the KDC ignores quite a few options in kdc.conf file, including: max_life = 12h 0m 0s max_renewable_life = 7d 0h 0m 0s default_principal_flags = +forwardable Not matter how I set these options, I _always_ get these for principles: Maximum ticket life: 24855 days 03:14:07 Maximum renewable life: 24855 days 03:14:07 Attributes: It seams Sun has some defaults set and are unchangeable. The gkadmin GUI utility shows the two life period exactly as the above number. If you change and save the changes, next time you run gkadmin, the old values come back. Has anyone seen the same behavior? And how to fix it? MIT Kerberos works fine, but to utilize Sun's PAM migration module for our existing user base (900 users), I need to run Sun's at least when we are migrating users. Applying Sun's Kerberos patch 120469-07 did not fix the problem. TIA, Qing Chang ...

Kerberos?
Who's using Kerberos authentication? Any pointers to procedure or documentation will be appreciated! Hi James, Not Me! But have a look at Doc 317141. That explains it in some more detail than the normal manual. Martin Bowes > Who's using Kerberos authentication? Any pointers to procedure > or documentation will be appreciated! > _______________________________________________ > Info-ingres mailing list > Info-ingres@cariboulake.com > http://mailman.cariboulake.com/mailman/listinfo.py/info-ingres > James Latimer wrote: > Who's using Kerberos authentication? Any pointers to procedure > or documentation will be appreciated! me neither, but this Chapter 13 may be of use: http://downloads.ingres.com/download/connect.pdf ...

OpenSSH, OpenAFS, Heimdal Kerberos and MIT Kerberos
Rather then implementing kafs in MIT Kerberos, I would like to suggest an alternative which has advantages to all parties. The OpenSSH sshd needs to do two things: (1) sets a PAG in the kernel, (2) obtains an AFS token storing it in the kernel. It can use the Kerberos credentials either obtained via GSSAPI delegation, PAM or other kerberos login code in the sshd. The above two actions can be accomplished by a separate process, which can be forked and execd by the sshd and passed the environment which may have a KREB5CCNAME pointing at the Kerberos ticket cache Other parameters such as the home directory could also be passed. This would then allow simple code in OpenSSH that does not depend on OpenAFS, Hiemdal or MIT code to fork/exec the process that does all the work. This would be called by the process that would eventially become the user's shell process and is run as the user. OpenSSH could be built on systems that may or may not have AFS installed and run on a system with or without AFS. The decision is based on the existence of the executable and any options in sshd_config. In its simplest form, all that is needed is: system("/usr/ssh/libexec/aklog -setpag") This is a little over simplified as there should be a test if the executable exists, processing of some return codes, making sure the environment is set, setting some time limit. etc. But the point is there is no compile dependence on OpenAFS, MIT or Hiemdal by the Op...

Kerberos Decrypted
http://www.digg.com/security/Kerberos_Decrypted ...

FW: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos
Sorry, I accidentally sent this reply just to Wyllys. In the interest of keeping the thread complete, I'll put it to the list as well. R > That's because Solaris 10 'kadmin' uses RPCSEC_GSS and > MIT uses a slightly different RPC protocol. This is not a new > issue, its been a problem ever since we introduced SEAM. > > The solution is that if your KDC is MIT, then you must use the MIT > 'kadmin' client to manage it. OK, thanks. So, I'll have to keep the MIT binaries around as well... Rainer ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos ...

Kerberos
Hello, I read on the ibm site that KRB5A authentication is only supported on 5.2. We are currently runnin 5.1 and have an MCA based machine so there is no chance in upgrading to 5.2. Is there an open-source kerberos package for AIX, and how would you go about installing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Rich ...

kerberos?
Is anyone out there using kerberos authentication with their NonStop hosts? Between this and ssh, I am having trouble keeping up! Thanks in advance. ...

Kerberos
________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos ...

Replacing the system Kerberos with MIT Kerberos (from ports)
Is there a way to replace the Heimdal Kerberos libraries included in the FreeBSD base system with the MIT Kerberos libraries installed from the security/krb5 port? I know about the KRB5_HOME make option. I'm concerned about other "Kerberized" applications not working properly because they use the wrong client libraries, hence my desire to completely replace Heimdal with MIT Kerberos. The Heimdal Kerberos libraries shipped with the FreeBSD base system don't support TCP, so when a KDC replies to a client request with a response larger than the maximum UDP packet size, the Kerberos libraries return an error to the client instead of switching to TCP (which can handle large responses). I routinely encounter this problem when integrating FreeBSD servers and workstations into Windows Active Directory domains, where the KDC responses include additional authorization data derived from a security principal's group memberships: Samba's "net ads join" command fails with a "response too big for for UDP, retry with TCP" error when linked against Heimdal, but it succeeds (and everything else works properly) when linked against MIT Kerberos. (Note that I'm not willing to debate the semi-standard/non-standard inclusion of authorization data in a Kerberos ticket's PAC, nor am I willing to argue the applicability of the aforementioned operating systems to their assigned tasks.) Best wishes, Matthew ...

Solaris 10 Kerberos KDC ignores settings in /etc/krb5/kdc.conf
Greeting, sorry if I sent this in twice. I've configured Sun's Kerberos on a solaris 10 box. Everything seams to work straight, creating database, creating principles etc.. But the KDC ignores quite a few options in kdc.conf file, including: max_life = 12h 0m 0s max_renewable_life = 7d 0h 0m 0s default_principal_flags = +forwardable Not matter how I set these options, I _always_ get these for principles: Maximum ticket life: 24855 days 03:14:07 Maximum renewable life: 24855 days 03:14:07 Attributes: It seams Sun has some defaults set and are unchangeable. The gkadmin GUI utility shows the two life period exactly as the above number. If you change and save the changes, next time you run gkadmin, the old values come back. Has anyone seen the same behavior? And how to fix it? MIT Kerberos works fine, but to utilize Sun's PAM migration module for our existing user base (900 users), I need to run Sun's at least when we are migrating users. Applying Sun's Kerberos patch 120469-07 did not fix the problem. TIA, Qing Chang ...

kerberos
Hi I have kerberos server setup, and it works fine with iseries navigator, I have to create a AS400 object now using Java and kerberos ticket, has any one done it successfully, does anyone have any code sample "polilop" <fmatosicSKINI@inet.hr> burped up warm pablum in news:fr3i5a$sn6$1@ss408.t-com.hr: > Hi > I have kerberos server setup, and it works fine with > iseries navigator, I have to create a AS400 object now > using Java and kerberos ticket, has any one done it > successfully, does anyone have any code sample You should read: http://publib.boulder...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos
Greetings, and thanks for the response. > > We run a number of Solaris 8 systems using Sun's SEAM PAM > implementation > > and MIT's Kerberos (which we're up to date on). We are > starting to look > > at Solaris 10, and are hoping to move towards Sun's > implementation of > > Kerberos. We are having a bit of trouble getting the two to talk > > properly, however. > > I'm confused - you cannot use the Solaris pam_krb5 with MIT Kerberos. > It is linked directly with the Solaris Kerberos libraries (private). I am trying to get the Solaris Kerberos (SEAM) on the Sol 10 system to talk to the MIT Kerberos on the KDC and other Solaris 8/MIT systems. > Solaris 10 Kerberos interops very well with MIT, Heimdal, and > Microsoft. > It has support for all of the enctypes (AES, RC4, 3DES, DES) finally. But I can't seem to get it to work. > > If we SSH (from production to test, for example) to a > Solaris 8 machine, > > then we can rlogin (Kerberized) to the Solaris 10 machine and, from > > there, rlogin to a Sol8 machine again. If, however, we SSH > directly to > > the Solaris 10 machine, we cannot rlogin to a Solaris 8 > machine. Doing > > various experiments (for example, trying to ksu on the Sol > 10 machine), > > the only error we ever get is: > > > > ksu > > WARNING: Your password may be exposed if you enter it here and are &g...

Variable kdc on kerberos.
Hi All, is there a way to set a variable, instead of a constant on the kerberos config file under the kdc option? I've a lot of Active Directory on my network, so if I want contact the closer one I've to use variables to retrieve informations of our local Dns. Many thanks ...

Kerberos Decrypted
http://www.digg.com/security/Kerberos_Decrypted ...

Kerberos Administration Protocol
Hi, I'm looking for an open source Java implementation for the Kerberos administration protocol, for changing password, getprinc, delete_principal and so on. The main goals for kadmin, for the MIT implementation. Are there any libraries? If no, I would try to do an adHoc implementation. Are there documents? The only draft that I can see is http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-cat-kerb-chg-password-00 Thanks, Massimiliano > Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 15:28:32 +0200 > To: kerberos@mit.edu > From: "max@mascanc.net" <max@mascanc.net> > Subject: Kerberos Administration Protocol > > Hi, > > I'm looking for an open source Java implementation for the Kerberos > administration protocol, for changing password, getprinc, > delete_principal and so on. The main goals for kadmin, for > the MIT implementation. > > Are there any libraries? > > If no, I would try to do an adHoc implementation. Are there > documents? The only draft that I can see is > > http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-cat-kerb-chg-password-00 > > Thanks, > > > Massimiliano As it happens, I do have something that might be the start at this. It could stand a bit more "polishing" before being released, and at the moment, it's not on our priority list. If this is something of interest to you, we should certainly talk. You won't be at afsbpw 2009, by any chance? What I have ...

kerberos
Hi, I've seen a number of posts regarding similar issues, but none with answers.. maybe i'll be lucky... Trying to join a Linux samba box to a Win2k Domain via ADS.. Have used 'net join -U administrator%password' then get a list of errors about 20 lines long similar to this. "kerberos_knit_password fedora$@domain.com failed: Client not found in Kerberos database" But, it *does* join the domain and I can see and use the share.... Is there anything to worry about?? TIA, travelfurther.. ...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos #2
BTW, as a further clarification, the system was installed initially using our MIT Kerberos build (i.e. the same as we use on all of the Solaris 8 machines). I am now trying to get it to work with the Solaris 10 SEAM. One problem I see immediately (refreshing my memory with a couple quick tests) is that, when using the Sol10 SEAM to install the keytab, I immediately get: # kadmin -p rheilke/admin Authenticating as principal rheilke/admin@ATCOTEST.CA with password. Password for rheilke/admin@ATCOTEST.CA: kadmin: ktadd host/salty.atcotest.ca kadmin: Communication failure with server while changing host/salty.atcotest.ca's key kadmin: So, the Sol10 SEAM cannot seem to talk to the KDC. Rainer ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos Heilke, Rainer wrote: > BTW, as a further clarification, the system was installed initially > using our MIT Kerberos build (i.e. the same as we use on all of the > Solaris 8 machines). I am now trying to get it to work with the Solaris > 10 SEAM. > > One problem I see immediately (refreshing my memory with a couple quick > tests) is that, when using the Sol10 SEAM to install the keytab, I > immediately get: > > # kadmin -p rheilke/admin > Authenticating as principal rheilke/admin@ATCOTEST.CA with password. > Password for rheilke/admin@ATCOTEST.CA: > kadmin: ktadd host/salty.atcotest.ca > kad...

Web resources about - Kerberos KDC - comp.protocols.kerberos

Kerberos (protocol) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MIT developed Kerberos to protect network services provided by Project Athena . The protocol is based on the earlier Needham-Schroeder Symmetric ...

Trekkies miss out after push to name Pluto moon 'Vulcan' fails; Kerberos and Styx chosen instead
BAD news, 'Star Trek' fans: Pluto's fourth and fifth moons have been named Kerberos and Styx, despite 'Vulcan' being the top suggestion.

Meet Pluto's smallest moons: Kerberos and Styx
Pluto's two smallest known moons have been officially named after characters associated with the underworld of Greek and Roman mythology.

Pluto's moons named Styx and Kerberos, despite vote for Vulcan
... Astronomical Union vetoed a public vote to name one of Pluto's two most recently discovered moons Vulcan and named the moons Styx and Kerberos. ...

Meet Styx and Kerberos, Pluto's newly named moons
... of new moons orbiting Pluto (at SETI's behest), it decided to do some planetoid naming, too. Today, SETI announced those names: Styx and Kerberos. ...

Microsoft Issues Emergency Patch for Kerberos Bug
The vulnerability could enable an attacker to elevate privileges. Microsoft recommends that organizations consider rebuilding their Windows domains. ...

Kerberos Productions Offers Expertise to President on the Weaponization of Outer Space
... game violence to the President and Vice-President of the United States, Sword of the Stars 1 & 2, Fort Zombie, and NorthStar developer Kerberos ...

The fourth and fifth moons of Pluto have officially been named Kerberos and Styx, respectively.
The fourth and fifth moons of Pluto have officially been named Kerberos and Styx , respectively. The Earth's moon is still named fucking "Aiden." ...

Poll For Pluto's Moons Closes, Vulcan and Kerberos Win - Geekosystem
First the SETI Institute put it up for vote, then the geeks and nerds swarmed the Internet, and now it's as certain as it can be before the International ...

Kerberos unleashed at last: Pluto’s dog-bone moon poses another mystery
NASA’s New Horizons probe has finally filled out its family portrait of Pluto and its moons – and Kerberos, the last moon to get its closeup, ...