Kerberos Principals

i'm replacing the NIS with LDAP and Kerberos, the question is , is there any way to automate the creation of the principals? do i have to add a pricipal for each user in my current system or there is a tool (like ldap migration) that can do that?
thanks a lot
Amir Saad
Software Engineer

Amir.Saad (12)

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 14:38 +0200, Amir Saad wrote:
> i'm replacing the NIS with LDAP and Kerberos, the question is , is there any way to automate the creation of the principals? do i have to add a pricipal for each user in my current system or there is a tool (like ldap migration) that can do that?

Is any tool other than kadmin needed? I don't know about your specific
situtation, but I'd do it with a shell command, like this:

ypcat passwd | while IFS=: read name rest; do
  password=$(dd if=/dev/random bs=3 count=2 2>/dev/null | encode-base64)
  kadmin -c "$KRB5CCNAME" -q "ank -pw $password $name"
  echo "$name $password" >>/tmp/newpasswords
done

That requires your ccache to have a valid kadmin service ticket, though.
Get it with a command like "kinit -S kadmin/admin yourname/admin".

It also requires a base64 encoding program. The one I used comes from
Perl's MIME-Base64 module.

I don't know if there might be anything wrong with this way of doing it,
but in that case, I can't think of any.

Hope it helps.

Fredrik Tolf

fredrik1 (105)

MIT Kerberos or Heimdal Kerberos?
Hi, How do I know the server install in the system is MIT Kerberos or Heimdal? I m using FreeBSD 5.2.1 Thanks sam ...

migration from Kerberos 4 to Kerberos 5
Hello, I have a few questions about migration to a new Kerberos version. In fact, the goal is to migrate a network with Kerberos 4 to the Kerberos 5(under Lin8x): 1) Do I have to reinstall Kerberos from the scratch or are there packages that allow to update the version? 2) What about the users that I created, are they still valid or will user information be lost. Part of the network uses already an LDAP directory, do I suppose this will not be a problem for this part, but in general, how can I migrate my user-accounts to the new version? 3) What about the clients, do I have to re-install the Kerberos-client on each workstation or can I use the "old" Kerberos clients? Could anybody answer my questions and perhaps give me some good hints for the migration respectively point me to some good documents? Thanx, CB ...

FTP and Kerberos
Hi, I get the following Kerberos related error when i do FTP from another machine(redhat 9.0) to my machine(redhat 9.0). How to solve this problem ? Should i Need to start/stop some daemons ? here is what happens when i do FTP !!! --------->>>>>>>>> Here is it .....>>>> Connected to 107.108.89.173. 220 localhost.localdomain FTP server (Version 5.60) ready. 334 Using authentication type GSSAPI; ADAT must follow GSSAPI accepted as authentication type GSSAPI error major: Miscellaneous failure GSSAPI error minor: No credentials cache found GSSAPI error: in...

MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos
Greetings, everyone. We run a number of Solaris 8 systems using Sun's SEAM PAM implementation and MIT's Kerberos (which we're up to date on). We are starting to look at Solaris 10, and are hoping to move towards Sun's implementation of Kerberos. We are having a bit of trouble getting the two to talk properly, however. If we SSH (from production to test, for example) to a Solaris 8 machine, then we can rlogin (Kerberized) to the Solaris 10 machine and, from there, rlogin to a Sol8 machine again. If, however, we SSH directly to the Solaris 10 machine, we cannot rlogin to a Solaris 8 machine. Doing various experiments (for example, trying to ksu on the Sol 10 machine), the only error we ever get is: ksu WARNING: Your password may be exposed if you enter it here and are logged in remotely using an unsecure (non-encrypted) channel. Kerberos password for ux5p@ATCOTEST.CA: : ksu: Server not found in Kerberos database while geting credentials from kdc Authentication failed. Doing an rlogin to a Sol 8 machine gives no errors at all; it just quietly fails. The above error seems to indicate that the Solaris 10 Kerberos isn't passing the tickets to the Sol 8/MIT Kerberos servers (which, based upon certain differences, would not be a big surprise). Has anyone gotten this to work? The Sol 10 system is using the default Solaris 10 PAM implementation as well; not sure if this is part of the problem, but the configuration files are significantly different. Th...

kerberos
Hi, I've seen a number of posts regarding similar issues, but none with answers.. maybe i'll be lucky... Trying to join a Linux samba box to a Win2k Domain via ADS.. Have used 'net join -U administrator%password' then get a list of errors about 20 lines long similar to this. "kerberos_knit_password fedora$@domain.com failed: Client not found in Kerberos database" But, it *does* join the domain and I can see and use the share.... Is there anything to worry about?? TIA, travelfurther.. ...

kerberos
Hi I have kerberos server setup, and it works fine with iseries navigator, I have to create a AS400 object now using Java and kerberos ticket, has any one done it successfully, does anyone have any code sample "polilop" <fmatosicSKINI@inet.hr> burped up warm pablum in news:fr3i5a$sn6$1@ss408.t-com.hr: > Hi > I have kerberos server setup, and it works fine with > iseries navigator, I have to create a AS400 object now > using Java and kerberos ticket, has any one done it > successfully, does anyone have any code sample You should read: http://publib.boulder...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos
Greetings, and thanks for the response. > > We run a number of Solaris 8 systems using Sun's SEAM PAM > implementation > > and MIT's Kerberos (which we're up to date on). We are > starting to look > > at Solaris 10, and are hoping to move towards Sun's > implementation of > > Kerberos. We are having a bit of trouble getting the two to talk > > properly, however. > > I'm confused - you cannot use the Solaris pam_krb5 with MIT Kerberos. > It is linked directly with the Solaris Kerberos libraries (private). I am trying to get the Solaris Kerberos (SEAM) on the Sol 10 system to talk to the MIT Kerberos on the KDC and other Solaris 8/MIT systems. > Solaris 10 Kerberos interops very well with MIT, Heimdal, and > Microsoft. > It has support for all of the enctypes (AES, RC4, 3DES, DES) finally. But I can't seem to get it to work. > > If we SSH (from production to test, for example) to a > Solaris 8 machine, > > then we can rlogin (Kerberized) to the Solaris 10 machine and, from > > there, rlogin to a Sol8 machine again. If, however, we SSH > directly to > > the Solaris 10 machine, we cannot rlogin to a Solaris 8 > machine. Doing > > various experiments (for example, trying to ksu on the Sol > 10 machine), > > the only error we ever get is: > > > > ksu > > WARNING: Your password may be exposed if you enter it here and are &g...

Kerberos Decrypted
http://www.digg.com/security/Kerberos_Decrypted ...

Kerberos Decrypted
http://www.digg.com/security/Kerberos_Decrypted ...

OpenSSH, OpenAFS, Heimdal Kerberos and MIT Kerberos
Rather then implementing kafs in MIT Kerberos, I would like to suggest an alternative which has advantages to all parties. The OpenSSH sshd needs to do two things: (1) sets a PAG in the kernel, (2) obtains an AFS token storing it in the kernel. It can use the Kerberos credentials either obtained via GSSAPI delegation, PAM or other kerberos login code in the sshd. The above two actions can be accomplished by a separate process, which can be forked and execd by the sshd and passed the environment which may have a KREB5CCNAME pointing at the Kerberos ticket cache Other parameters such as the home directory could also be passed. This would then allow simple code in OpenSSH that does not depend on OpenAFS, Hiemdal or MIT code to fork/exec the process that does all the work. This would be called by the process that would eventially become the user's shell process and is run as the user. OpenSSH could be built on systems that may or may not have AFS installed and run on a system with or without AFS. The decision is based on the existence of the executable and any options in sshd_config. In its simplest form, all that is needed is: system("/usr/ssh/libexec/aklog -setpag") This is a little over simplified as there should be a test if the executable exists, processing of some return codes, making sure the environment is set, setting some time limit. etc. But the point is there is no compile dependence on OpenAFS, MIT or Hiemdal by the Op...

kerberos?
Is anyone out there using kerberos authentication with their NonStop hosts? Between this and ssh, I am having trouble keeping up! Thanks in advance. ...

Kerberos?
Who's using Kerberos authentication? Any pointers to procedure or documentation will be appreciated! Hi James, Not Me! But have a look at Doc 317141. That explains it in some more detail than the normal manual. Martin Bowes > Who's using Kerberos authentication? Any pointers to procedure > or documentation will be appreciated! > _______________________________________________ > Info-ingres mailing list > Info-ingres@cariboulake.com > http://mailman.cariboulake.com/mailman/listinfo.py/info-ingres > James Latimer wrote: > Who's using Kerberos authentication? Any pointers to procedure > or documentation will be appreciated! me neither, but this Chapter 13 may be of use: http://downloads.ingres.com/download/connect.pdf ...

Kerberos
________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos ...

Kerberos Principals in LDAP
Is there any means of storing Kerberos Principals in LDAP? Even if its just something that uses the krb5_util dump utility to push/pull Principals from LDAP to the principal stash? Heimdal is not a possibility for me. ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos >>>>> "Evan" == Evan Vittitow <evan@terralab.com> writes: Evan> Is there any means of storing Kerberos Principals in LDAP? Evan> Even if its just something that uses the krb5_util dump Evan> utility to push/pull Principals from LDAP to the principal Evan> stash? Heimdal is not a possibility for me. The next version of MIT Kerberos (1.6) is expected to have an LDAP database backend. You can check out our daily development snapshots, but the release has not yet entered beta. --Sam ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos ...

FW: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos
Sorry, I accidentally sent this reply just to Wyllys. In the interest of keeping the thread complete, I'll put it to the list as well. R > That's because Solaris 10 'kadmin' uses RPCSEC_GSS and > MIT uses a slightly different RPC protocol. This is not a new > issue, its been a problem ever since we introduced SEAM. > > The solution is that if your KDC is MIT, then you must use the MIT > 'kadmin' client to manage it. OK, thanks. So, I'll have to keep the MIT binaries around as well... Rainer ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos ...

kerberos principal extraction
Hi. How extract all principals from one realm and then add its to another realm ? ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos Make a dump of the database on realm 1. kdb5_util dump [-old] [-b6] [-b7] [-ov] [-verbose] [filename [principals...]] For example: kdb5_util dump dumpfile And to set back: kdb5_util load [-old] [-b6] [-b7] [-ov] [-verbose] [-update] dumpfilename dbname [admin_dbname] For example: kdb5_util load dumpfile On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 15:50, Andrew B. Panphiloff wrote: > Hi. > > How extract all principals from one realm and then > add its to another realm ? > > ________________________________________________ > Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu > https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos > ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos ...

Replacing the system Kerberos with MIT Kerberos (from ports)
Is there a way to replace the Heimdal Kerberos libraries included in the FreeBSD base system with the MIT Kerberos libraries installed from the security/krb5 port? I know about the KRB5_HOME make option. I'm concerned about other "Kerberized" applications not working properly because they use the wrong client libraries, hence my desire to completely replace Heimdal with MIT Kerberos. The Heimdal Kerberos libraries shipped with the FreeBSD base system don't support TCP, so when a KDC replies to a client request with a response larger than the maximum UDP packet size, the Kerberos libraries return an error to the client instead of switching to TCP (which can handle large responses). I routinely encounter this problem when integrating FreeBSD servers and workstations into Windows Active Directory domains, where the KDC responses include additional authorization data derived from a security principal's group memberships: Samba's "net ads join" command fails with a "response too big for for UDP, retry with TCP" error when linked against Heimdal, but it succeeds (and everything else works properly) when linked against MIT Kerberos. (Note that I'm not willing to debate the semi-standard/non-standard inclusion of authorization data in a Kerberos ticket's PAC, nor am I willing to argue the applicability of the aforementioned operating systems to their assigned tasks.) Best wishes, Matthew ...

Kerberos Administration Protocol
Hi, I'm looking for an open source Java implementation for the Kerberos administration protocol, for changing password, getprinc, delete_principal and so on. The main goals for kadmin, for the MIT implementation. Are there any libraries? If no, I would try to do an adHoc implementation. Are there documents? The only draft that I can see is http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-cat-kerb-chg-password-00 Thanks, Massimiliano > Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 15:28:32 +0200 > To: kerberos@mit.edu > From: "max@mascanc.net" <max@mascanc.net> > Subject: Kerberos Administration Protocol > > Hi, > > I'm looking for an open source Java implementation for the Kerberos > administration protocol, for changing password, getprinc, > delete_principal and so on. The main goals for kadmin, for > the MIT implementation. > > Are there any libraries? > > If no, I would try to do an adHoc implementation. Are there > documents? The only draft that I can see is > > http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-cat-kerb-chg-password-00 > > Thanks, > > > Massimiliano As it happens, I do have something that might be the start at this. It could stand a bit more "polishing" before being released, and at the moment, it's not on our priority list. If this is something of interest to you, we should certainly talk. You won't be at afsbpw 2009, by any chance? What I have ...

Kerberos
Hello, I read on the ibm site that KRB5A authentication is only supported on 5.2. We are currently runnin 5.1 and have an MCA based machine so there is no chance in upgrading to 5.2. Is there an open-source kerberos package for AIX, and how would you go about installing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Rich ...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos #4
Thanks. We'll have to keep our eyes open for 5-1.4. Rainer > -----Original Message----- > From: Tom Yu [mailto:tlyu@mit.edu] > Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 11:12 AM > To: Wyllys Ingersoll > Cc: Heilke, Rainer; kerberos@mit.edu > Subject: Re: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos > > > >>>>> "Wyllys" == Wyllys Ingersoll <wyllys.ingersoll@sun.com> writes: > > Wyllys> That's because Solaris 10 'kadmin' uses RPCSEC_GSS and > Wyllys> MIT uses a slightly different RPC protocol. > > [...] > > Wyllys> There have been patches submitted to the MIT codebase to make > Wyllys> it able to support RPCSEC_GSS (and thus interop with > Solaris kadmin), > Wyllys> but Im not sure if those are in the latest release or not. > > RPCSEC_GSS support will be present in krb5-1.4 (currently in beta). I > have done a brief successful interop test against SEAM's kadmin > protocol. Independent confirmation would be useful. > > ---Tom > ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos ...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos #2
BTW, as a further clarification, the system was installed initially using our MIT Kerberos build (i.e. the same as we use on all of the Solaris 8 machines). I am now trying to get it to work with the Solaris 10 SEAM. One problem I see immediately (refreshing my memory with a couple quick tests) is that, when using the Sol10 SEAM to install the keytab, I immediately get: # kadmin -p rheilke/admin Authenticating as principal rheilke/admin@ATCOTEST.CA with password. Password for rheilke/admin@ATCOTEST.CA: kadmin: ktadd host/salty.atcotest.ca kadmin: Communication failure with server while changing host/salty.atcotest.ca's key kadmin: So, the Sol10 SEAM cannot seem to talk to the KDC. Rainer ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos Heilke, Rainer wrote: > BTW, as a further clarification, the system was installed initially > using our MIT Kerberos build (i.e. the same as we use on all of the > Solaris 8 machines). I am now trying to get it to work with the Solaris > 10 SEAM. > > One problem I see immediately (refreshing my memory with a couple quick > tests) is that, when using the Sol10 SEAM to install the keytab, I > immediately get: > > # kadmin -p rheilke/admin > Authenticating as principal rheilke/admin@ATCOTEST.CA with password. > Password for rheilke/admin@ATCOTEST.CA: > kadmin: ktadd host/salty.atcotest.ca > kad...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos #5
> > Can we force the Sol10 box to only use DES, to be > compatible with the > > Sol8/MIT systems (which is everything but the one Sol10 box)? > > If you are using MIT Kerberos on the Solaris 8 systems (including > pam_krb5 made for MIT, not the one that comes with SEAM), then > you should not worry about the enctypes because MIT already > supports all of the enctypes that S10 supports. > > The only time you need to worry about enctypes is when you > are using pre-S10 systems with SEAM apps. IN that situation, > ONLY the pre-solaris 10 systems need to have the DES keys, > it is perfectly acceptable for the S10 systems to have AES > and S8/S9 to have DES. This should not affect interop if > your keytabs are correctly populated on the pre-S10 boxes. Excellent, thanks. That makes life significantly easier. > earlier comments, > > they already are DES; is that correct? > > > > Not necessarily. If your S8 systems are MIT, then you don't > really need to worry much about the enctype support because > MIT has support for all enctypes (DES through AES-256). Right, as per your comments above. :-) > If you use a 3rd party pam_krb5 library that links with MIT > Kerberos, then you should not have any enctype issues on > Solaris 8. We aren't using any Sol8 SEAM (all MIT, except for the new Sol10 box), using the MIT libs. > You may be seeing problems on your S8 systems because ...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos #3
Thanks for the response. Please see inline... > In Solaris 10, all of the Kerberos services are already bundled, > there is no longer any external packages that need to be added. Right. > Whoever told you 'ksu' was part of the encryption kit was mistaken, > ksu has never been part of SEAM. OK, thanks for that clarification. It was a bit of a surprise to me when I was told it was there. So, does the Solaris 10 SEAM have any functionality similar to ksu, or just the standard su command? > The encryption kit for Solaris 10 enhances the overall crypto > capabilities of the system, the only benefit Kerberos gets is > that it can support AES-256 with the S10 encryption kit. > Without the S10 encryption kit, the strongest AES crypto > available for Kerberos in S10 is AES-128. And this fits more with what I understood, before my co-worker's comments. > On the S10 system, you must make sure to enable the "eklogin" service. > Run this command (as root): > > # svcadm enable eklogin Hmm. That may be a good part of my problem. I added the inetd.conf entry for the old (MIT) eklogin, and ran inetconv. So, this is probably really confusing the system. I'll try to revert that, and do the svcadm. > For Solaris 8 with the SEAM rlogin daemon, make sure your > inetd.conf entries > are correct. We don't actually run SEAM on any Sol8 systems; it's all MIT. > Don't bother with inetd.conf in S10, ...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos #6
OK, I think I have fixed the services. I have: # svcs -v | grep login online - 13:25:02 35 svc:/system/console-login:default online - 13:25:11 - svc:/network/login:eklogin online - 13:25:12 - svc:/network/login:klogin online - 13:25:12 - svc:/network/login:rlogin (Just to make sure, those ARE the correct versions? The ones I removed looked like: # svcadm disable svc:/network/klogin/tcp:default # svcadm disable svc:/network/eklogin/tcp:default The first entry in the svcs listing is, I assume, my root console login via the terminal server.) Or did I cancel the wrong two? If I use the MIT rlogin to go to another server, this fails (and no message gets logged on the KDC). I expect this is correct behaviour (needing the SEAM version). So, where do I find the Solaris 10 SEAM version of rlogin? The rlogin in /bin seems to be the old, un-Kerberized one, or is this actually a Kerberized one? In which case, it never seems to get a connection, and again, doesn't log anything on the KDC. I can use the Solaris 8/MIT rlogin to go from one of the old Solaris 8/MIT systems to the Solaris 10 box. Thanks again. Rainer ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos e@atcoitek.com wrote: > OK, I think I have fixed the services. I have: > # svcs -v | grep login > online ...

Web resources about - Kerberos Principals - comp.protocols.kerberos

Principal component regression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In statistics , principal component regression (PCR) is a regression analysis technique that is based on principal component analysis (PCA). ...

Whistleblower principal Graeme Sleeman "vindicated" after Pell testimony
A school principal who blew the whistle on abusive priest Peter Searson – and was then exiled from the Catholic education system – says he feels ...

Catholic principal pressured to withdraw from Safe Schools Coaltion
The principal of Australia's only mainstream Catholic school signed up to the Safe Schools Coalition says he is under "considerable pressure" ...

Reddam House principal apologises to Jewish students of Moriah College over anti-Semitic chants - DailyTelegraph ...
THE principal of an elite Sydney high school has apologised to the students of a Jewish school after some student spectators yelled anti-Semitic ...

Principals say Victorian state schools lacking resources to ensure students get quality education - HeraldSun ...
MOST of Victoria’s state school principals say they don’t have enough resources to ensure their students have a quality education.

Principals: ‘School resources falling short’
MOST of Victoria’s state school principals say they don’t have enough resources to ensure their students have a quality education.

Principal of Reddam 'appalled' by students chanting anti-Semitic slurs at football match with Jewish ...
The head of an exclusive Sydney private school has apologised to the students of a nearby Jewish School after his students chanted anti-Semitic ...

Catholic principal pressured to withdraw from Safe Schools Coaltion
The principal of Australia's only mainstream Catholic school signed up to the Safe Schools Coalition says he is under &quot;considerable pressure&quot; ...

Singer Makes 369% of Principal on Argentine Bonds in Debt Offer
... the settlement reached earlier this week remain vague, this much is clear: His fund, Elliott Management, is slated to reap a payment on principal ...

Principal recommends sex assault suspect for athletic award
Police say they notified school administrators of the felony charges weeks before