Krb5 servers writing to old rotated log files

Hi folks,

On all of the Debian squeeze servers with Kerberos (v1.8.3) that I
manage, I've noticed that the Kerberos daemons start out writing to
their designated log files, e.g. kdc.log, but once those log files are
rotated they ignore the new empty ones and instead prefer to write
only to the first rotated files, e.g. kdc.log.1. This is the case for
both the krb5kdc and kadmin daemons.

If I restart the Kerberos daemons manually, they start writing to the
correct log files. But, the next day, after the log files have been
rotated, the new ones are empty and the daemons are still writing to
the day-old ones.

Has anyone else seen this behavior before?

This is how my /etc/krb5.conf files are configured for logging:

[logging]
         kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5/kdc.log
         admin_server = FILE:/var/log/krb5/kadmin.log
         default = FILE:/var/log/krb5/klib.log

I use this /etc/logrotate.d/krb5 file for rotating those log files:

/var/log/krb5/kadmin.log /var/log/krb5/kdc.log /var/log/krb5/klib.log {
         daily
         missingok
         rotate 7
         compress
         delaycompress
         notifempty
}

In my case, a consequence of using "notifempty" is that the Kerberos
log files are not rotated regularly and grow a bit larger than expected.

Am I missing something, have I made a mistake somewhere, or is this a bug?

Thanks,

Jaap
0
jwinius (31)

log file sync , log file parallel write
Hi , my top wait list shows 2 events , log file sync and log file parallel write in 1 hour. During this time , the db server created 370,594 bytes redo per second. the docs say that high value of both log file sync and log file parallel write indicates io problem . How can we decide whether below numbers are close to each other or not? If it is not possible to change the application and eliminate the unnecessary commits (such as sap) , how can lg file sync be decreased? Kind Regards Load Profile ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Per Second Per Transaction ...

log file sync vs log file parallel write
Hello all, While investigating performance problems in a database I discovered that the 'log file sync' wait event is almost always in the top 5. (I am looking at the statspack datat) Calculating the ratio of the average wait time of the 'log file sync' and the 'log file parallel write' gives a ratio of 10. Does someone know why this may happen? Regards Hans-Peter On 3 okt, 12:31, HansP <hans-peter.sl...@atosorigin.com> wrote: > Hello all, > > While investigating performance problems in a database I discovered > that the 'log file sync' ...

Issues with writing to server-side log file.
Hello, on the database server running Oracle 9.2, I want to write to a log file. I unsuccessfully tried the following: DECLARE f UTL_FILE.FILE_TYPE; BEGIN f := UTL_FILE.FOPEN('d:\temp', 'log.txt', 'w'); END; / It says, 'ORA-29280: invalid directory path' even if that folder exists and the permissions allow everyone to write to it. Someone told me to create a directory object so I can grant permissions to it, as follows: CREATE OR REPLACE DIRECTORY dirobj as 'd:\temp'; GRANT READ,WRITE ON DIRECTORY dirobj to snakason; CONN snakason/mypass@hedev2 DECLARE f UTL_FILE.FILE_TYPE; BEGIN f := UTL_FILE.FOPEN(dirobj, 'log.txt', 'r', 5000); END; / But now I'm getting this error "PLS-00201: identifier 'DIROBJ' must be declared". I'm guessing dirobj is not in scope of the PL/SQL block, but how to I remedy that? If I put those lines within the PL/SQL block, I get errors. Sorry, I'm an Oracle newbie so I don't what works or does not work in a PL/SQL block. On Feb 6, 2:55=A0pm, seannakasone <snaka...@flex.com> wrote: > Hello, on the database server running Oracle 9.2, I want to write to a lo= g > file. =A0I unsuccessfully tried the following: > > DECLARE > =A0 =A0 =A0 f UTL_FILE.FILE_TYPE; > BEGIN > =A0 =A0 =A0 f :=3D UTL_FILE.FOPEN('d:\temp', 'log.txt', 'w'); > END; > / ...

log file sync vs log file parallel write probably not bug 2669566
This is a continuation of a previous thread about =91log file sync=92 and =91log file parallel write=92 events. Version : 9.2.0.8 Platform : Solaris Application : Oracle Apps The number of commits per second ranges between 10 and 30. When querying statspack performance data the calculated average wait time on the event =91log file sync=92 is on average 10 times the wait time for the =91log file parallel write=92 event. Below just 2 samples where the ratio is even about 20. "snap_time" " log file parallel write avg" "log file sync avg" &qu...

write file + input file + write file
Hi, I want to write some latex command to a file (file1), input the file at the end of the document. These command shall write to another file (file2) and at a second run I use the file2. Whatever I have tried nothing works and I don't known why. The goal is to save a set of special commands and run them at the end of the document, because they use some values which are only available at the end! Can anybody please help me with that? Thanks in advance! I should be something like: \begin{document} \usepackage{style} \input{file2} %file exists from a previous run \end{document} style.sty:...

log file sync vs log file parallel write probably not bug 2669566 #2
This is a continuation of a previous thread about =91log file sync=92 and =91log file parallel write=92 events. Version : 9.2.0.8 Platform : Solaris Application : Oracle Apps The number of commits per second ranges between 10 and 30. When querying statspack performance data the calculated average wait time on the event =91log file sync=92 is on average 10 times the wait time for the =91log file parallel write=92 event. Below just 2 samples where the ratio is even about 20. "snap_time" " log file parallel write avg" "log file sync avg" &qu...

log file sync vs log file parallel write probably not bug 2669566 #3
This is a continuation of a previous thread about =91log file sync=92 and =91log file parallel write=92 events. Version : 9.2.0.8 Platform : Solaris Application : Oracle Apps The number of commits per second ranges between 10 and 30. When querying statspack performance data the calculated average wait time on the event =91log file sync=92 is on average 10 times the wait time for the =91log file parallel write=92 event. Below just 2 samples where the ratio is even about 20. "snap_time" " log file parallel write avg" "log file sync avg" &qu...

Kerberos Web Server to file Server
Hello, Is Kerberos delegation needed to write a file from a web app to a file server within the same network? If so, I will be setting up constrained delegation. The problem is what is the service on the file server that I will let the web service be delegated for? ...

Writing a log file from an obey file
In message <51a5dbfe09news*@Torrens.org.uk> "Richard Torrens (News)" <News+15019@Torrens.org.uk> wrote: > Lua looks attractive, but it's a long learning curve for a single job! Here is the single job then: Write the following in a text file called "writelog": do local var,logfile,err = os.getenv,arg[1],"Cannot open " local log = assert(io.open(logfile,"a+"),err..logfile) log:write("\n", var "Sys$Time"," on ",var "Sys$Date","\n", var "cycle_No&...

Increase in 'log file sync' waits while 'log file parallel write' remains unchanged
We have small 9.2.0.8 database on AIX, from time to time it experiences waits on 'log file sync'. I am unable to explain these waits: - There is no increase in the number or size of transaction - While average wait on 'log file sync' increases from 10ms to 124ms average wait on 'log file parallel write' does not change much - approx 0.05 ms. NORMAL PERIOD: Load Profile ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Per Second Per Transaction --------------- --------------- Redo size: 30,016.82 1,384.01 Logical reads: 10,273.75 473.70 Block changes: 179.17 8.26 Physical reads: 5.36 0.25 Physical writes: 6.98 0.32 User calls: 139.45 6.43 Parses: 152.69 7.04 Hard parses: 0.11 0.01 Sorts: 81.40 3.75 Logons: 0.01 0.00 Executes: 587.69 27.10 Transactions: 21.69 PERIOD WITH WAITS ON LOG FILE SYNC Load Profile ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Per Second Per Transaction --------------- --------------- Redo size: 29,366.27 1,385.22 Logical reads: ...

How to write debug info from CGI file into the standard log of iPlanet web server?
I would like to output debug information from cgi file into "errors" which is a log file for iPlanet web server. Like in JSP file, using application.log() which is method of the predefined object can output data to the webserver standard log. We don't need to open file handler. Is there any tcl package can do the same funcyionality? Thanks Johnson O.Yung wrote: > I would like to output debug information from cgi file into "errors" > which is a log file for iPlanet web server. Like in JSP file, using > application.log() which is method of the predefined objec...

File size limit crossed when writing the logs to a file.
Hi all, I am invoking a 'C' program from a UNIX shell script and re-directing the output and error to a file. In this context i have a doubt regarding the file size. When i am redirecting the output to a file. Since all the files in UNIX have a specified upper limit for the file size. what happens if we are still trying to write the output to a file when the specified upper limit for the file size has crossed. In this case will the process which is writing logs to the file, gets killed or not. If it is killed, How do i handle this situation in the UNIX script. I forcast this situat...

writing new password to new file from old file
Dear all, password.fil has only one column and my customer wants to update the password of users based upon dates validations . Please help me to read in sequential order from password.fil if date is old that value of datevar. Thanks #!/usr/bin/nawk -f if ($1 < datevar) { getline password < "password.fil" print $1 + $2 + password > newfile } else print $1 + $2 + password > newfile On Jan 23, 6:47=A0am, happytoday <ehabaziz2...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > password.fil has only one column and my customer wants to update the > password of users > b...

Rotate Logs without rotating all logs
Is it possible to rotate the slow query log without rotating other log files like the binary log file? On 28 Okt., 05:30, "ryanm...@yahoo.com" <ryanm...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Is it possible to rotate the slow query log without rotating other log > files like the binary log file? why not write a simple bash script, that "rotates" every slow- query.log if its larger than for example 32M and is executed by cronjob every hour. you could even write it in PHP, PERL, RUBY or whatever language you like the most. ...

how to forward log files/data from Cisco switch to a remote log server
Dear all, I m wondering how to configure a cisco switch to forward log data to a remote log server? Any example? Thanks sam sam wrote: > Dear all, > > I m wondering how to configure a cisco switch to forward log data to a > remote log server? > Any example? > > Thanks > sam > > If it's running IOS, the command is "logging 1.2.3.4". If it's running CatOS, sorry, I can't remember. Steve In article <bu438n$2tvm$1@news.hgc.com.hk>, "sam" <samwun@hgcbroadband.com> wrote: > Dear a...

writing to a
Hello all, I have been struggling with this command for a whole day. I dont know what I am doing wrong. Any help pls? I am trying to write the output of a batch file into a log file. When I do this c:\import\service\invoice.bat >> test.log it hangs there, it does not come back to the command prompt. I have to type in exit or quit to come back. Is there any way I can come back to the command prompt without typing in exit or quit from dos prompt. I did try typing quit and exit in the bat file. It does the same thing still. Thnx On 1 Nov 2006 06:49:17 -0800, "juy...

How to write log file?
Hello, I am thinking to have a process write log file. I am very new to UNIX so I have concern that 1. is there a very simple way to append a line to a log file? 2. would it be safe whem multiple process write the same log file at same time? Thanks! Alex Shi Alex Shi <chpshi@eol.ca> wrote: > Hello, > > I am thinking to have a process write log file. I am very new to UNIX > so I have concern that First of all note that unix provides a facility for system logging, syslog. You can write to this facility using the command "logger" (at least at solaris and linux). But I am not sure if this what you want. > 1. is there a very simple way to append a line to a log file? If you want to append a line to a file in general you can do: echo simple line >> file > 2. would it be safe whem multiple process write the same log file at > same time? I'm note sure if there is a problem with using >> in the same file for multiple processes but I guess that in common cases you can do it without fear. > > Thanks! > > Alex Shi -- Kornilios Kourtis "The worst is yet to come" Thanks! Alex Shi > Alex Shi <chpshi@eol.ca> wrote: > > Hello, > > > > I am thinking to have a process write log file. I am very new to UNIX > > so I have concern that > > First of all note that unix provides a facility for system logging, > syslog. You can write to this facility using the comm...

Writing to files on a server
Hi, I have a question on file writing. I am not very experienced in Java programming. My hobby right now is to write an applet where 2 persons could play Go together (it is a board game). The offline interface is done but I was wondering how to send information between the two players. Since I am not very experienced in Java and I am just a hobby programmer, I found that programming a port listening interface was too difficult. My idea was to write the moves the player made in a text file on the server of my web page (I use prohosting, a free server). The problem is that I get a java....

write to log file
Hi, I have a log file and of course I want to add the new information to the end of that log file. Unfortunately I always delete the old information and only append the current info. Right now I do it like this: I call a module which consists of a class and a function. It actually doesn't matter, but I just included it for the sake of completeness. The module looks like this: class log_C: def errorlog(self, filename, Data, d): LogFile = file(filename, 'w') ErrorInfo = Data[d+1] LogFile.write(ErrorInfo) LogFile.close() How can I add the new info ...

rotate log file
Please note that I dont have logrotate either syslogd in my system. I have simple klogd logs messages to a file. Without stopping klogd, I simply copy the log file to a backup place, and empty the log file with echo > log_file. The problem I have after I did that, when klog put next message into the log file, it also add alot of invisible char in the front of the file. Any one knows how to get rid of it? I do not want add more tools into my system. Ask Try mv logfile newdestination Next logentry from syslogd generates new logfile. A. ask wrote: > Please no...

write file to a server
Hello i'm under windows, i have to write a file from my computer to a local server like taht "\\DOCUMENTALE\my_folder\". How i have to proceed ? Thanks On 2015-01-28 13:22, luca72 wrote: > Hello i'm under windows, i have to write a file from my computer to a > local server like taht "\\DOCUMENTALE\my_folder\". > How i have to proceed ? > That's a path to a folder that just happens to be on another computer on your network. Treat it the same way you would for a 'local' folder, eg "C:\my_folder". On Thu, Jan 29, 201...

how do I transfer files to remote server logging into remote server's $BASH prompt
I'm a nebie and exhausted working with my ISP trying to securely transfer files to the hosting account. I can log into to using PuTTy and get to a $BASH prompt. From there I can use FTP but then I am ftping from THAt server, not my computer. I have tried WinSCP but I don't have SCP on remote server and don't want to load it on server as I am obviously a novice with */nix commands Any ideas? On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:43:51 -0500 NotGiven scrawled this disquisition: > I'm a nebie and exhausted working with my ISP trying to securely transfer > files ...

Choosing log file destination in logging configuration file
Hey, I have a sort of petty-neurotic question, I'm kinda pedantic and like to keep my log directories clean, and this thing is bothering me to the point of actually posting a question (couldn't find any post about this..). My application has two types of components: daemons and regular ones that are run every on crontab. Because the log structure is very similar, I want both to use the same logging configuration file. For clarity, I want all of the files to have the date as part of the filename. The TimedRotatingFileHandler has it built in (once it rotates), and I found a dirty hack...

Problem with Write To Measurement File Express VI not writing to file if file was deleted after the first call (7.1)
I'm using the Express Write to LabVIEW Measurement File in LV7.1. &nbsp; I have it set to "Save to one file"&nbsp; and have tried both "Overwrite file" and "Using next available file name" for the "If a file already exists" conditions. &nbsp; The path/filename is passed into the function. &nbsp; It works fine the first time around.&nbsp; If the file is deleted before the function is called again, an error occurs since LV is unable to find the file. &nbsp; I have had to stop and re-run my program in order to write to use the function again. &nbsp; Since I am able to delete the file I assume it was closed but it seems like LV expects it to be there, even though the function was supposed to create/open/close the file...&nbsp; Is there any way to reset this without stopping/restarting the program? &nbsp; Since my application creates several files (only one using the Express VI) I am checking for the filenames and requiring that they be deleted (or a new filename be used) before acquiring data.&nbsp; Everything has worked great, except for the Express VI. &nbsp; Thank you, &nbsp; David &nbsp; Hi David, &nbsp; Please look at the attached VI (LV 7.1) that shows an example of using the express vi Write LV Measurement to File. Feel free to attach your code, so that I can tell you what you can change to make it work. &nbsp; Best regards, Write LV Meas File.vi: http://forum...

Web resources about - Krb5 servers writing to old rotated log files - comp.protocols.kerberos

Thecus Announces Two New Rackmount NAS Servers
Thecus has introduced two new commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) rackmount enterprise-class NAS servers with 12 and 16 bays. They both run the latest ...

SQL Server for Linux coming in mid-2017
... executive vice president of the Cloud and Enterprise Group, announced today that next year Microsoft will be releasing a version of SQL Server ...

Microsoft brings SQL Server to Linux
The new Microsoft has placed an increased importance on the cloud, and with other companies following suit, reliance on server solutions has ...

Qualcomm server chips available now to ARM developers through cloud service
Qualcomm's elusive server chips have been available only to top-tier cloud players, but now any developer will be able to work with them using ...

Senators Again Seek Interview With State Dept. Staffer Who Managed Hillary’s Server
Senators Again Seek Interview With State Dept. Staffer Who Managed Hillary’s Server

The Division server issues? Ubisoft's on the case
If you’ve been struggling to connect The Division to a server, you’re not alone. But don’t panic - Ubisoft has responded quickly to concerns ...

Microsoft's SQL Server Database Is Heading to Linux
Next year, Microsoft plans to release a version of its hybrid-cloud-friendly database software for the open-source operating system.

Microsoft announces SQL Server for Linux — wait, what?
... tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask of that old Lone Ranger, and you don't run Microsoft SQL Server ...

Facebook Ad Server Atlas Doubles Down On Serving Video And Native Ads
On Monday, Facebook said it would retire an ad-buying beta program it launched last year through Atlas, the company's ad server. Facebook announced ...