MIT Kerberos or Heimdal Kerberos?

Hi,

How do I know the server install in the system is MIT Kerberos or Heimdal?

I m using FreeBSD 5.2.1

Thanks
sam
0
samwun (151)

OpenSSH, OpenAFS, Heimdal Kerberos and MIT Kerberos
Rather then implementing kafs in MIT Kerberos, I would like to suggest an alternative which has advantages to all parties. The OpenSSH sshd needs to do two things: (1) sets a PAG in the kernel, (2) obtains an AFS token storing it in the kernel. It can use the Kerberos credentials either obtained via GSSAPI delegation, PAM or other kerberos login code in the sshd. The above two actions can be accomplished by a separate process, which can be forked and execd by the sshd and passed the environment which may have a KREB5CCNAME pointing at the Kerberos ticket cache Other parameters ...

replacing Heimdal with MIT Kerberos, and Kerberos key attributes in LDAP back-end
Hi all Since we are migrating from Debian to RedHat, we are considering replacing our Heimdal Kerberos server (with LDAP back-end) with an MIT Kerberos server (again with LDAP back-end) since RedHat packages are only available for MIT Kerberos. In order to make this migration/upgrade as transparent as possible for our users, we want to convert all the necessary info in the Heimdal back-end to the MIT back-end. Are there any pointers available for this kind of operation? E.g. things like conversion tables mapping the corresponding Kerberos-specific LDAP attributes? Or even scripts?...

MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos
Greetings, everyone. We run a number of Solaris 8 systems using Sun's SEAM PAM implementation and MIT's Kerberos (which we're up to date on). We are starting to look at Solaris 10, and are hoping to move towards Sun's implementation of Kerberos. We are having a bit of trouble getting the two to talk properly, however. If we SSH (from production to test, for example) to a Solaris 8 machine, then we can rlogin (Kerberized) to the Solaris 10 machine and, from there, rlogin to a Sol8 machine again. If, however, we SSH directly to the Solaris 10 machine, we cannot rlogin to a Sola...

FW: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos
Sorry, I accidentally sent this reply just to Wyllys. In the interest of keeping the thread complete, I'll put it to the list as well. R > That's because Solaris 10 'kadmin' uses RPCSEC_GSS and > MIT uses a slightly different RPC protocol. This is not a new > issue, its been a problem ever since we introduced SEAM. > > The solution is that if your KDC is MIT, then you must use the MIT > 'kadmin' client to manage it. OK, thanks. So, I'll have to keep the MIT binaries around as well... Rainer ________________________________________________ K...

Replacing the system Kerberos with MIT Kerberos (from ports)
Is there a way to replace the Heimdal Kerberos libraries included in the FreeBSD base system with the MIT Kerberos libraries installed from the security/krb5 port? I know about the KRB5_HOME make option. I'm concerned about other "Kerberized" applications not working properly because they use the wrong client libraries, hence my desire to completely replace Heimdal with MIT Kerberos. The Heimdal Kerberos libraries shipped with the FreeBSD base system don't support TCP, so when a KDC replies to a client request with a response larger than the maximum UDP packet size, the Kerberos libraries return an error to the client instead of switching to TCP (which can handle large responses). I routinely encounter this problem when integrating FreeBSD servers and workstations into Windows Active Directory domains, where the KDC responses include additional authorization data derived from a security principal's group memberships: Samba's "net ads join" command fails with a "response too big for for UDP, retry with TCP" error when linked against Heimdal, but it succeeds (and everything else works properly) when linked against MIT Kerberos. (Note that I'm not willing to debate the semi-standard/non-standard inclusion of authorization data in a Kerberos ticket's PAC, nor am I willing to argue the applicability of the aforementioned operating systems to their assigned tasks.) Best wishes, Matthew ...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos
Greetings, and thanks for the response. > > We run a number of Solaris 8 systems using Sun's SEAM PAM > implementation > > and MIT's Kerberos (which we're up to date on). We are > starting to look > > at Solaris 10, and are hoping to move towards Sun's > implementation of > > Kerberos. We are having a bit of trouble getting the two to talk > > properly, however. > > I'm confused - you cannot use the Solaris pam_krb5 with MIT Kerberos. > It is linked directly with the Solaris Kerberos libraries (private). I am trying to g...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos #6
OK, I think I have fixed the services. I have: # svcs -v | grep login online - 13:25:02 35 svc:/system/console-login:default online - 13:25:11 - svc:/network/login:eklogin online - 13:25:12 - svc:/network/login:klogin online - 13:25:12 - svc:/network/login:rlogin (Just to make sure, those ARE the correct versions? The ones I removed looked like: # svcadm disable svc:/network/klogin/tcp:default # svcadm disable svc:/network/eklogin/tcp:default The first entry in the svcs listing is, I assume, ...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos #2
BTW, as a further clarification, the system was installed initially using our MIT Kerberos build (i.e. the same as we use on all of the Solaris 8 machines). I am now trying to get it to work with the Solaris 10 SEAM. One problem I see immediately (refreshing my memory with a couple quick tests) is that, when using the Sol10 SEAM to install the keytab, I immediately get: # kadmin -p rheilke/admin Authenticating as principal rheilke/admin@ATCOTEST.CA with password. Password for rheilke/admin@ATCOTEST.CA: kadmin: ktadd host/salty.atcotest.ca kadmin: Communication failure with server while chan...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos #3
Thanks for the response. Please see inline... > In Solaris 10, all of the Kerberos services are already bundled, > there is no longer any external packages that need to be added. Right. > Whoever told you 'ksu' was part of the encryption kit was mistaken, > ksu has never been part of SEAM. OK, thanks for that clarification. It was a bit of a surprise to me when I was told it was there. So, does the Solaris 10 SEAM have any functionality similar to ksu, or just the standard su command? > The encryption kit for Solaris 10 enhances the overall crypto > capabilities ...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos #5
> > Can we force the Sol10 box to only use DES, to be > compatible with the > > Sol8/MIT systems (which is everything but the one Sol10 box)? > > If you are using MIT Kerberos on the Solaris 8 systems (including > pam_krb5 made for MIT, not the one that comes with SEAM), then > you should not worry about the enctypes because MIT already > supports all of the enctypes that S10 supports. > > The only time you need to worry about enctypes is when you > are using pre-S10 systems with SEAM apps. IN that situation, > ONLY the pre-solaris 10 systems need ...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos #4
Thanks. We'll have to keep our eyes open for 5-1.4. Rainer > -----Original Message----- > From: Tom Yu [mailto:tlyu@mit.edu] > Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 11:12 AM > To: Wyllys Ingersoll > Cc: Heilke, Rainer; kerberos@mit.edu > Subject: Re: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos > > > >>>>> "Wyllys" == Wyllys Ingersoll <wyllys.ingersoll@sun.com> writes: > > Wyllys> That's because Solaris 10 'kadmin' uses RPCSEC_GSS and > Wyllys> MIT uses a slightly different RPC protocol. > > [...] > >...

A Query on MIT Kerberos code base and latest RFC on Kerberos ?
Hi All, I have a small query regarding MIT Kerberos and it will be kind if anyone can address it. I wanted to know whether the latest RFC's: RFC 4120 - The Kerberos Network Authentication Service (V5) RFC 4121 - The Kerberos Version 5 Generic Security Service Application Program Interface (GSS-API) Mechanism: Version 2 ...are already a part of MIT Kerberos code base or is it schedule to be a part for MIT code base ? If so what will be the rough time frame. � Thanks n regards, Prashant ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu...

Important Notice Regarding Kerberos 4 Support in MIT Kerberos
This comes from a message distributed to another list but I thought it might be useful here too. On January 27th of this year, the MIT Kerberos Development team announced plans to phase out support for Kerberos 4 in MIT Kerberos, including v4 support in Kerberos for Macintosh and Kerberos for Windows. We strongly recommend that all sites currently using Kerberos 4 migrate their services and users to Kerberos 5 as soon as possible. The MIT Kerberos team is making substantial changes to the client-side initial ticket acquisition support in the next release of Kerberos. These changes will im...

MIT Kerberos and Heimdal
can anyone tell me what are the differences between MIT kerberos and Heimdal kerberos? thanks a lot Amir Saad Software Engineer ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 15:25 +0200, Amir Saad wrote: > can anyone tell me what are the differences between MIT kerberos and Heimdal kerberos? Do you mean the political and social differences, or the technical differences? Fredrik Tolf ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list ...

Heimdal or MIT kerberos
Hi, I m not sure which kerberos I should use. With Heimdal, it is a thread-safe implementation, while MIT's kerberos is not. Please correct me if I m wrong, it appears that there is more applicatoins support MIT kerberos than Heimdal. I basically want to use kerbeors as a SSO server and allows various internet/network service to securely authenticate with users. Applications I would like to be kerberized is samba, apache, email (ldap).. So which kerberos should be used to avoid future difficulty of integration with the above application? thanks sam On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 10:55:49 +...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos
Wohoo! I read the man page for rlogin, and it is both the old rlogin, and the new (or something like that). Seems that you just have to give it the correct switches, and it Kerberizes the command. So, I did: rlogin -AF <sol8server> and it works! Thank you to Wyllys for all of your help. Now I'm going to try installing from scratch, and make sure I do the build properly. One question left for Wyllys before I do, though. Since ksu doesn't exist in the Solaris SEAM product, is our only option su? Rainer ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list ...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos
<laugh> Yup, I learned (the hard way!) to always stay logged in to a console session as root. R > Make sure you have a root window open before testing PAM. I > stumbled on > this when I tried to su and my test pam exit failed! ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos ...

RE: MIT Kerberos and Solaris 10 Kerberos
> possibly 'su' with pam_krb5 for the authentication. Its not quite > the same as 'ksu', though. Douglas says the same. The su man page indicates something about this, but not a lot of details there. I'll look into this further. As far as a co-worker is concerned (and in our environment, I can see his point), this would be a show stopper. We use ksu for all sorts of things, including giving DBA's access to Oracle ID's. Thanks again for all of the help. I'll go through the su and pam.conf man pages, and see if I can figure it out. Rainer ______________...

FTP and Kerberos
Hi, I get the following Kerberos related error when i do FTP from another machine(redhat 9.0) to my machine(redhat 9.0). How to solve this problem ? Should i Need to start/stop some daemons ? here is what happens when i do FTP !!! --------->>>>>>>>> Here is it .....>>>> Connected to 107.108.89.173. 220 localhost.localdomain FTP server (Version 5.60) ready. 334 Using authentication type GSSAPI; ADAT must follow GSSAPI accepted as authentication type GSSAPI error major: Miscellaneous failure GSSAPI error minor: No credentials cache found GSSAPI error: in...

migration from Kerberos 4 to Kerberos 5
Hello, I have a few questions about migration to a new Kerberos version. In fact, the goal is to migrate a network with Kerberos 4 to the Kerberos 5(under Lin8x): 1) Do I have to reinstall Kerberos from the scratch or are there packages that allow to update the version? 2) What about the users that I created, are they still valid or will user information be lost. Part of the network uses already an LDAP directory, do I suppose this will not be a problem for this part, but in general, how can I migrate my user-accounts to the new version? 3) What about the clients, do I have to re-install th...

MIT Kerberos KDC & W2K Client: Changing expired password issueMIT Kerberos KDC & W2K Client: Changing expired password issue
Hi, I also experienced the same problem as William G.Zereneh (http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/kerberos/2004-May/005341.html). I'm able to change the password using ctrl-alt-del, but when the password is expired and windows asks me to change the password, I encountered "Domain MIT.REALM.COM is not available" error. As I sniff the packet, it noticed that it sent a CLDAP query message with filter: (&(DnsDomain = MIT.REALM.COM)(Host = myhostname)(NtVer=\006) which is returned NULL by my _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.REALM.MIT.COM How to resolve this problem ? maybe there's a missin...

Kerberos?
Who's using Kerberos authentication? Any pointers to procedure or documentation will be appreciated! Hi James, Not Me! But have a look at Doc 317141. That explains it in some more detail than the normal manual. Martin Bowes > Who's using Kerberos authentication? Any pointers to procedure > or documentation will be appreciated! > _______________________________________________ > Info-ingres mailing list > Info-ingres@cariboulake.com > http://mailman.cariboulake.com/mailman/listinfo.py/info-ingres > James Latimer wrote: > Who's using Kerberos authentication? Any pointers to procedure > or documentation will be appreciated! me neither, but this Chapter 13 may be of use: http://downloads.ingres.com/download/connect.pdf ...

Kerberos
________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos ...

kerberos
Hi I have kerberos server setup, and it works fine with iseries navigator, I have to create a AS400 object now using Java and kerberos ticket, has any one done it successfully, does anyone have any code sample "polilop" <fmatosicSKINI@inet.hr> burped up warm pablum in news:fr3i5a$sn6$1@ss408.t-com.hr: > Hi > I have kerberos server setup, and it works fine with > iseries navigator, I have to create a AS400 object now > using Java and kerberos ticket, has any one done it > successfully, does anyone have any code sample You should read: http://publib.boulder...

Web resources about - MIT Kerberos or Heimdal Kerberos? - comp.protocols.kerberos

Kerberos (protocol) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article includes a list of references , related reading or external links , but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations ...

Trekkies miss out after push to name Pluto moon 'Vulcan' fails; Kerberos and Styx chosen instead
BAD news, 'Star Trek' fans: Pluto's fourth and fifth moons have been named Kerberos and Styx, despite 'Vulcan' being the top suggestion.

Meet Pluto's smallest moons: Kerberos and Styx
Pluto's two smallest known moons have been officially named after characters associated with the underworld of Greek and Roman mythology.

Pluto's moons named Styx and Kerberos, despite vote for Vulcan
... Astronomical Union vetoed a public vote to name one of Pluto's two most recently discovered moons Vulcan and named the moons Styx and Kerberos. ...

kerberos articles on Engadget
kerberos articles, stories, news and information.

Microsoft Issues Emergency Patch for Kerberos Bug
The vulnerability could enable an attacker to elevate privileges. Microsoft recommends that organizations consider rebuilding their Windows domains. ...

Kerberos Productions Offers Expertise to President on the Weaponization of Outer Space
... game violence to the President and Vice-President of the United States, Sword of the Stars 1 & 2, Fort Zombie, and NorthStar developer Kerberos ...

The fourth and fifth moons of Pluto have officially been named Kerberos and Styx, respectively.
The fourth and fifth moons of Pluto have officially been named Kerberos and Styx , respectively. The Earth's moon is still named fucking "Aiden." ...

Poll For Pluto's Moons Closes, Vulcan and Kerberos Win - Geekosystem
First the SETI Institute put it up for vote, then the geeks and nerds swarmed the Internet, and now it's as certain as it can be before the International ...

Kerberos unleashed at last: Pluto’s dog-bone moon poses another mystery
NASA’s New Horizons probe has finally filled out its family portrait of Pluto and its moons – and Kerberos, the last moon to get its closeup, ...