Using ssh-keys for kerberos authentication

Hi!

I'm wondering wether it is (at least theoretically) feasible to use a
ssh-key to get kerberos tokens!? This is fairly important to me, since
filesystems such as coda, afs of nfsv4 depend on kerberos-authentication
to access the filespace.

Patches for ssh exist that pass the token before trying to acces
..ssh/authorized_keys , but what if one doesn't even have tokens?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

    Michael> Hi!  I'm wondering wether it is (at least theoretically)
    Michael> feasible to use a ssh-key to get kerberos tokens!? This
    Michael> is fairly important to me, since filesystems such as
    Michael> coda, afs of nfsv4 depend on kerberos-authentication to
    Michael> access the filespace.

It is theoretically possible.  You would need to modify the Kerberos
KDC to support this.

Why not just use Kerberos authentication at the ssh layer though.

hartmans (370)
10/13/2004 9:48:03 PM

>    Michael> Hi!  I'm wondering wether it is (at least theoretically)
>    Michael> feasible to use a ssh-key to get kerberos tokens!? This
>    Michael> is fairly important to me, since filesystems such as
>    Michael> coda, afs of nfsv4 depend on kerberos-authentication to
>    Michael> access the filespace.
>
> It is theoretically possible.  You would need to modify the Kerberos
> KDC to support this.
Is there anyone out there planning to do this? If not, could someone give
me some hints where to start?

> Why not just use Kerberos authentication at the ssh layer though.
People like ssh-keys and they are considered rather secure, passwords are
not (they are more vulnerable to brute-force-attacks).

Thanks in advance,
Michael