serial/parallel to ethernet communication through dos #2

hello,
my name is brijesh
i have an old lap to having a parallel and serial port.
i want to use this port to ping ethernet ports for testing purposes
could anyone kindly suggest me how do i achieve thgis using dos
programing.
since the laptop is too old the configuration is restricted to :

12mb ram
30mb HDD
1 serial port
1 parallel port
1 1.44" floppy drive

i was able to install only MSDOS on it
can you suggest what else is required for me that enables me to
communicate to a ethernet port through the serial/parallel port?
my need is only to ping ethernet port using the IP address of that
port and check for any packet loss. so is there any simple program
that runs on turbo c or on dos which i can use?

waiting for the reply
thatnk you
regards
brijesh s
0
brijesh
10/14/2003 8:57:15 AM
comp.protocols.ppp 729 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

If your laptop has a 386 cpu, you can install Linux and use the
parallel port as an ethernet device.  You will network with another
machine via parallel port.  You should check out Parallel Line
Interface Protocol http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PLIP.html.  It gives you
the detail regarding to DOS as well (using NCSA telnet).

It maybe difficult to find a free PPP/SLIP stack for DOS if you want
to use serial port.  There are a lots if you install Windows 3.11.

brijesh (brijesh@divinetaccess.com) wrote:
[...]

alyung
10/17/2003 3:16:36 PM
alyung@lucent.com (Alex Yung) writes:

[...]

This is impossible. parallel or serial ports are different things from
ethernet ports. It is like asking how do you land a ship at an airport.
Airports do not handle ships. serial ports do not handle ethernet. They
handle serial line protocol.

Now the previous poster's comment may be fine IF what you want is to
make and IP connection between two computers. (On serial line, ppp is
the way to go or if you cannot fine ppp for dos, then SLIP). But IP is not ethernet.

0
unruh