can't lock files using Get Info in Mac OS X client

How do I make a SAMBA-served file "read only" using a Mac client? The
"lock" checkbox is available in the Finder's Get Info window. Checking
it and closing the window results in the file's Finder icon briefly
displaying the "locked" indicator, but it quickly disappears and the
file can be opened for writing.

I was hoping for Mac behavior similar to Windows (no wisecracks,
please). In Win XP Pro, the file's property window properly sets
read-only -- and the same file then opens as read-only on Mac.

Even Mac's unix command line is no help -- the permission bits for the
writeable files on the samba mount are no different from the bits for
the read-only file.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can explain or suggest a kludge. If
possible, please post here and also to igelman at mac dot com.
0
igelman
9/22/2003 4:57:55 PM
comp.protocols.smb 1481 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

OS X
after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing... (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the alt.sys.mac.newuser-help group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...) anyways, here's what I did... ----------------------------------- in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder! it appears.... correct me if I'm wrong... that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone... so we ...

Can't get extensions working mac os x
Howdy.. I can't seem to get my extensions to load on mac os x. - I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.6 - Here's the output from PEAR crosenmbp:extensions crosen$ pear -V PEAR Version: 1.7.2 PHP Version: 5.2.6 Zend Engine Version: 2.2.0 - The error messages from my apache logs PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/ php/extensio ns/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/apc.so' - (null) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php/ extensions/no -debug-non-zts-20060613/apc.so' - (null) in Unknown on line 0 - When...

Can't open a file from the munu for it on Mac OS X
Applications ported to Mac OS X from Linux/Win32. compiled by gcc and manually Created a bundle for it. Clicking application icon Started the application with menubar on the top of screen, but clicking the menu for opening a input file won't Do anything, No debug experience at all on Mac OS X and no knowledge of using debugger On Mac OS X. Can someone give me a hint why and where I should look at ? There is xcode on my Mac OS X and don't have time to learn it, can Xcode step in to debug, And how, may point me to some reference. Thanks ming --------------------...

Mac OS X Mail -- can't move / delete file
All of a sudden, one old email in my inbox is creating havoc. Hangs when Mail tries updating the index, cannot be opened, moved or deleted [no alert, just spinning wheel].... Running 10.2.8. Any advice / direction greatly appreciated. In article <ac04e0.0410101749.2bddff4b@posting.google.com>, dave@acmedesigncompany.net (Dave) wrote: > All of a sudden, one old email in my inbox is creating havoc. Hangs > when Mail tries updating the index, cannot be opened, moved or deleted > [no alert, just spinning wheel].... > > Running 10.2.8. > > Any advice / direction ...

Can't see crosshairs using ginput
Hello all, When using ginput to select points on a surface or pcolor plot, I can not see the crosshairs. On any other type of plot, I can see the cursor without any problem, but it appears invisible everywhere inside the figure window when that figure contains a color plot. Any advice? I am using the student version of R14 on Mac 10.4.5. Thanks, Jack I think that was fixed in one of the Matlab updates. I used to have that problem, but I don't now. What service pack are you using? I'm running: OSX 10.4.6 and Matlab 7.1.0.183 (R14) Service Pack 3 ...

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step ...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler...

Can't load OS X.x.x on G4, get a circle with a slash in it....
I can't get my Mac G4 to load OS X... I get a gray circle with a slash in it... any ideas what this means other than trouble ? I have replaced everything except for the motherboard and power supply after the intial install. So either the install is corrupted in the beginning or I actually have a bad motherboard. I haven't tried reinstalling with all the new components, I just rebooted everytime I changed something. thanks.. -- ==================================================================== | Etop Udoh | Http://www.geocities.com/sdruid11 | | P.O. Bo...

Mac OS X: Can't Add 'Home' Folder To Dock
I am unable to add the 'Home' Folder to the Dock in Mac OS X. If I try to drag it to the Dock, either nothing happens (the Home Folder does not enter the dock) or the Home Folder vanishes in a puff of smoke, as if I had removed it from the dock. I have no problem adding an alias of the Home Folder to the dock, but the alias looks like an ordinary folder and is hard to distinguish when small. Thanks for any help. In article <1168165389.481000.195170@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com>, google1006@spamex.com wrote: > I am unable to add the 'Home' Folder to the Dock in Mac O...

Can't use my //e because I can't get any software for it
Here's my problem. I have an Apple //e, but I have absolutely no software for it. I have an older Mac. All of the images I have found are 5.25" and I can't write those back to the floppy using the Mac (or a PC for that matter). I don't have a null modem, but that doesn't matter because I don't have any comm software. Basically I have no way to get anything onto a bootable floppy. Now, if I could find a bootable image of a 3.5" disk I would be in business, but everything is in 5.25" format. Would an emaulator be able to create a bootable 3.5" di...

Can't get custom ErrorDocuments 404 to work on Mac OS X apache
I uncommened the line # ErrorDocument 404/missing.html and restarted apache in the http.conf file. Now when I go to a document that should give me a 404, I get "The requested URL /~username/dd was not found on this server. Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. Apache/1.3.27 Server at keng4.local Port 80" Where am I supposed to put the custom ErrorDocument? I't in the "Sites" folder of my local user. In article <cc2bb823.0307300745.5be379c0@posting.google.com>, ...

Mac OS X: Newer Quicktime can't read Matlab generated avi files
I haven't worked with Matlab-generated avi files in a while. They used to be playable in Quicktime but not anymore. What is the recommended approach for viewing avi files? Thanks in advance, Ken Prager In article <2f826$4e444af9$423c830e$32633@EVERESTKC.NET>, Ken Prager <prager@ieee.org> wrote: > I haven't worked with Matlab-generated avi files in a while. They used > to be playable in Quicktime but not anymore. What is the recommended > approach for viewing avi files? > > Thanks in advance, > > Ken Prager You need to use QuickTim...

can't get python 2.5.5 to work on mac os x 10.4.11
Hi everyone, I posted this in the cocos2d and pyglet discussion group, I thought I'll get a response right away since my problem is quite general but I got no response. I hope you will help me!!! this is the original post http://groups.google.com/group/cocos-discuss/browse_thread/thread/f8bc92498dbd48af# best regards new2Cocos <bchkifa@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I posted this in the cocos2d and pyglet discussion group, I thought > I'll get a response right away since my problem is quite general but I > got no response. I hope you will...

Getting files from a IIGS to a Mac OS X Mac (G5)... how can you do it?
Hi all. I am the owner of a IIGS and in macdom, a G5. Back when I had a powermac 7500/100, both the Mac and IIGS were able to read and write to the same physical floppy disks, so getting games and files outta my IIGS and over to my mac was easy. And getting games off the internet and over to my IIGS was also easy (and rather miraculous-seeming). But then Macs stopped supporting floppies. Years passed, and as far as I can see, the Mac and the IIGS are almost strangers to each other now. I've read about null modem cables, but most posts on this topic archived on the net seem to be pretty l...

Web resources about - can't lock files using Get Info in Mac OS X client - comp.protocols.smb