WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"

Newbie stuff

I'm running RH9 Pro all up-to-date.
I have a WinXP box all up-to-date.

It tried following the "SAMBA Installation Notes" on:

http://www.linuxorbit.com/howto/sambahowto.php3

I pretty much left the smb.conf in its virgin state except for the
following changes:
==========
# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
    workgroup = DOGZ

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
    server string = SAMBA

   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
==========

I restarted smbd and nmbd.

My Windows XP box can see the server in the network neighborhood but I
can't open it or map a drive. I get the error, "\\Server is not accessible".

I tried running it with passwords unencrypted (even remembered to
restart the processes). No luck.

Used smbpasswd again to make sure the account password was right.
smbpasswd -a test

Verified that the Windows password is right, too. Verifed that all of
the proper Windows protocols and clients are loaded.

Ran testparm and it looks like there aren't any syntax errors.

Rebooted both boxes.

No changes.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Mike@michael-mcginnis.com

0
Michael
7/17/2003 2:46:06 AM
comp.protocols.smb 1481 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

2 things i can suggest:

1.
try adding the netbios name = <server_name_here> line in smb.conf

and

2.
make sure you've properly configured ipchains/iptables. try shutting that
down just for test purposes

you should also enter the ip of your samba server as wins server for your
clients and add wins support = yes in smb.conf

"Michael McGinnis" <linuxmcginnis@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Newbie stuff
>
> I'm running RH9 Pro all up-to-date.
> I have a WinXP box all up-to-date.
>
> It tried following the "SAMBA Installation Notes" on:
>
> http://www.linuxorbit.com/howto/sambahowto.php3
>
> I pretty much left the smb.conf in its virgin state except for the
> following changes:
> ==========
> # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
>     workgroup = DOGZ
>
> # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
>     server string = SAMBA
>
>    encrypt passwords = yes
>    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>
> [homes]
>     comment = Home Directories
>     browseable = yes
>     writable = yes
> ==========
>
> I restarted smbd and nmbd.
>
> My Windows XP box can see the server in the network neighborhood but I
> can't open it or map a drive. I get the error, "\\Server is not
accessible".

> I tried running it with passwords unencrypted (even remembered to
> restart the processes). No luck.
>
> Used smbpasswd again to make sure the account password was right.
> smbpasswd -a test
>
> Verified that the Windows password is right, too. Verifed that all of
> the proper Windows protocols and clients are loaded.
>
> Ran testparm and it looks like there aren't any syntax errors.
>
> Rebooted both boxes.
>
> No changes.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike@michael-mcginnis.com

0
Philippe
7/18/2003 4:04:39 PM
If you would look over this smb.conf and my samba logs and let me know
if you see anything I've done wrong, I would be grateful.

I am still unable to log into my samba server from my Windows XP box. I
think the problem is in my samba config. I've appended the smb.conf file
at the end. I stripped out the comment lines for easier reading.

Below are my recent entries for my samba log files,  log.nmbd & log.smbd.
A couple things strike me as odd.

"subnet 192.168.1.85" as a subnet? Shouldn't a subnet be 192.168.1.0
with netmask 255.255.255.0, or something?

The final, and probably primary problem seems to be that samba can't
find my domain master browser.

"Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
workgroup DOGZ.
Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup."

Log file excerpts:

===== From file log.nmbd =====
[2003/07/31 10:13:06, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(794)
   Netbios nameserver version 2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix started.
   Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1994-2002
[2003/07/31 10:13:06, 0] nmbd/asyncdns.c:start_async_dns(148)
   started asyncdns process 1881
[2003/07/31 10:18:55, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(404)
   *****

   Samba name server HUSKIE is now a local master browser for workgroup
DOGZ on subnet 192.168.1.85

   *****
[2003/07/31 10:19:06, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(358)
   find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
   Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
workgroup DOGZ.
   Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
[2003/07/31 10:34:14, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(358)
   find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
   Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
workgroup DOGZ.
   Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

===== From file log.smbd =====
[2003/07/31 10:13:05, 0] smbd/server.c:main(707)
   smbd version 2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix started.
   Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2002

===== File smb.conf =====
[global]

	workgroup = dogz

	server string = samba server
	netbios name = huskie

	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

	max log size = 0

	encrypt passwords = yes
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

	unix password sync = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n

	pam password change = yes

	obey pam restrictions = yes

	wins support = yes

	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	dns proxy = no

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	browseable = yes
	writeable = yes
	valid users = %S
	create mode = 0664
	directory mode = 0775

[test]
	comment = Test account files
	path = /home/test
	valid users = test
	writeable = yes
	printable = no
	create mask = 0765

0
Michael
7/31/2003 6:39:13 PM
Michael McGinnis wrote:
> If you would look over this smb.conf and my samba logs and let me know
> if you see anything I've done wrong, I would be grateful.
>
> I am still unable to log into my samba server from my Windows XP box. I
> think the problem is in my samba config. I've appended the smb.conf file
> at the end. I stripped out the comment lines for easier reading.
>
> Below are my recent entries for my samba log files,  log.nmbd & log.smbd.
> A couple things strike me as odd.
>
> "subnet 192.168.1.85" as a subnet? Shouldn't a subnet be 192.168.1.0
> with netmask 255.255.255.0, or something?
>
> The final, and probably primary problem seems to be that samba can't
> find my domain master browser.
>
> "Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
> workgroup DOGZ.
> Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup."

If you ever get this answered I'd appreciate how you did it. I also can
samba from Linux9 box into Win Xp (home) but not back from Xp to Linux.
I don't have a Domain, merely a workgroup but Linux doesn't appear in
the Network Places.Linux Server does show up in member of workgroup BUT
when I click I get error message - Not accessable, network path not
found etc.

0
r1_97
7/31/2003 8:42:31 PM
"r1_97" <r1_97@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Michael McGinnis wrote:
> > If you would look over this smb.conf and my samba logs and let me know
> > if you see anything I've done wrong, I would be grateful.
> >
> > I am still unable to log into my samba server from my Windows XP box. I
> > think the problem is in my samba config. I've appended the smb.conf file
> > at the end. I stripped out the comment lines for easier reading.
> >
> > Below are my recent entries for my samba log files,  log.nmbd &
log.smbd.
> > A couple things strike me as odd.
> >
> > "subnet 192.168.1.85" as a subnet? Shouldn't a subnet be 192.168.1.0
> > with netmask 255.255.255.0, or something?
> >
> > The final, and probably primary problem seems to be that samba can't
> > find my domain master browser.
> >
> > "Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
> > workgroup DOGZ.
> > Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup."
> >

> If you ever get this answered I'd appreciate how you did it. I also can
> samba from Linux9 box into Win Xp (home) but not back from Xp to Linux.
> I don't have a Domain, merely a workgroup but Linux doesn't appear in
> the Network Places.Linux Server does show up in member of workgroup BUT
> when I click I get error message - Not accessable, network path not
> found etc.

as per documentation : did you create machine trustaccounts ?

did you patch the XP registry (signorseal key) ?
just to name 2 things ..:-)

I just connected 15 XP machines to a samba "domain" (in 2 steps : a) per
workgroup+testing b)per domain+testing) & did set up roaming profiles ..
works quite well despite the promised headaches in the docs .. using RH9 &
samba 2.2.8a ..
BTW should I switch to Samba 3.0beta3 ?

0
imbsysop
8/1/2003 8:46:27 AM
Thanks for the response.

Regarding trust accounts:
I created a "test" account on my linux box. I created a "test" account
on my Windows XP box. I took great care to ensure they have the same
password.

Regarding the XP registry 'signorseal' key:
Searching my registry for 'signorseal', I find a 'RequireSignOrSeal'
registry folder and a 'requiresignorseal' key, but that's it. No
'signorseal' key.

Thanks. I'll  search for 'signorseal' key patch documentation.

imbsysop wrote:
> "r1_97" <r1_97@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> as per documentation : did you create machine trustaccounts ?
>
> did you patch the XP registry (signorseal key) ?
> just to name 2 things ..:-)
>
> I just connected 15 XP machines to a samba "domain" (in 2 steps : a) per
> workgroup+testing b)per domain+testing) & did set up roaming profiles ..
> works quite well despite the promised headaches in the docs .. using RH9 &
> samba 2.2.8a ..
> BTW should I switch to Samba 3.0beta3 ?

0
nobody
8/5/2003 12:43:54 AM
Okay. I made the Win XP registry edits and rebooted. No change.

The server shows up in my 'network neighborhood' but when I try to open
the server I get an error message saying that the server is not
accessible... I might not have permission... The network path was not found.

I don't think that the problem lies in the Windows config.

The repeated error messages in my log.nmbd file suggest that something's
broken.

== Error Message from log.nmbd =====
[2003/08/04 22:58:07, 0]
====================================

imbsysop wrote:
> "r1_97" <r1_97@yahoo.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> as per documentation : did you create machine trustaccounts ?
>
> did you patch the XP registry (signorseal key) ?
> just to name 2 things ..:-)
>
> I just connected 15 XP machines to a samba "domain" (in 2 steps : a) per
> workgroup+testing b)per domain+testing) & did set up roaming profiles ..
> works quite well despite the promised headaches in the docs .. using RH9 &
> samba 2.2.8a ..
> BTW should I switch to Samba 3.0beta3 ?

0
Michael
8/5/2003 6:06:31 AM
"nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Regarding trust accounts:
> I created a "test" account on my linux box. I created a "test" account
> on my Windows XP box. I took great care to ensure they have the same
> password.

you need machine trust accounts just as under NT4 .. ie you have to make a
"user" with the <machine name>+ the $ sign .. this is documented in the
Samba 2.2 PDC docs
(weel at least I think you need those ..)

> Regarding the XP registry 'signorseal' key:
> Searching my registry for 'signorseal', I find a 'RequireSignOrSeal'

You are right it is this key ..

You can also det it through the gpedit.msc in XP .. just off the top of my
head I think the keys are under Comp config -> Windows settings -> Security
settings -> local policies -> security options
I did set the four options under "Domain member" to disabled ..

0
imbsysop
8/5/2003 10:07:09 PM
> Okay. I made the Win XP registry edits and rebooted. No change.
>
> The server shows up in my 'network neighborhood' but when I try to open
> the server I get an error message saying that the server is not
> accessible... I might not have permission... The network path was not
found.

> I don't think that the problem lies in the Windows config.
>
> The repeated error messages in my log.nmbd file suggest that something's
> broken.
>
> == Error Message from log.nmbd =====
> [2003/08/04 22:58:07, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(358)
>    find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
>    Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
> workgroup DOGZ.
>    Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
> ====================================

didn't you make yr samba server the master browser for the domain ? and set
the OS level to 33 or so, so yr samba server can win the master elections on
the network ?

did you make smbusers ? as well (smbpasswd -a <linuxuser>)

0
imbsysop
8/5/2003 10:09:27 PM
Thanks for your two responses.

None of the documentation I've been using mention such a trust account.
Sorry, I didn't understand the syntax. Where would I find the Samba 2.2
PDC docs you mention? Do you have a URL?

I'm not using a PDC, just workgroup-based security. I've tried all of
the authentication configurations except for setting up a Windows
Primary Domain Controller.

I'll look into changing the OS level. Since the linux box shows up in
the Windows browser, I don't think the problem lies here.

I didn't understand what you meant regarding registry edits and setting
"domain member" to "disabled". Do you know exactly what registry keys
these are?

My linux box is (supposed) to be a master browser. It's a member of a
workgroup but I have no domain. I just wanted to do peer-to-peer file
sharing.

Regarding "did you make smbusers ? as well (smbpasswd -a <linuxuser>)".
If I understand your question, yes, my smbusers file has an entry to
link the linux user, 'test', to the samba user, 'test'. It has a line
'test = test'.

I noticed that none of my documentation said anything about adding this
line... I just did it.

Is there any concise & accurate documentation on samba? Most of the
stuff I find seems to be written by people who are experts in linux but
not so well versed in Windows (for example, referring to "roaming"
accounts as "roving" accounts).

I've been using 'LINUX Rute User's Tutorial & Exposition', O'Reilly's
'Running LINUX', and 'Red Hat LINUX 9 Bible', and '17 Easy Steps to
Samba: Version 1.0' on www.linuxorbit.com.

Am I looking in the wrong places?

=================

 >>== Error Message from log.nmbd =====
 >>[2003/08/04 22:58:07, 0]
 >>nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(358)
 >>   find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
 >>   Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOGZ<1b> for the
 >>workgroup DOGZ.
 >>   Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
 >>====================================
 >>

 > didn't you make yr samba server the master browser for the domain ?
and set
 > the OS level to 33 or so, so yr samba server can win the master
elections on
 > the network ?
 >
 > did you make smbusers ? as well (smbpasswd -a <linuxuser>)

0
Michael
8/6/2003 5:50:23 PM
> Thanks for your two responses.
>
> None of the documentation I've been using mention such a trust account.
> Sorry, I didn't understand the syntax. Where would I find the Samba 2.2
> PDC docs you mention? Do you have a URL?

google is absolutely yr friend .. look for the Samba 2.2 PDC HOWTA and the
Samba 2.2 PDC FAQ HOWTO .. It will at least clarify a number of
configuration issues ..

> I'll look into changing the OS level. Since the linux box shows up in
> the Windows browser, I don't think the problem lies here.

OS level = 33 should make it win most elections from any windows machines
although I'm not sure about a w2k server (so I did put mine on 255 :-))

> I didn't understand what you meant regarding registry edits and setting
> "domain member" to "disabled". Do you know exactly what registry keys
> these are?

there are 6 keys under 3Domain memeber" .. disable the first 4 ..
It apparently has to do with the way XP is sending encryoted stuff to yr
samba server, this also implies that you use encrypted passwords on the
samba server side ..

> Regarding "did you make smbusers ? as well (smbpasswd -a <linuxuser>)".
> If I understand your question, yes, my smbusers file has an entry to
> link the linux user, 'test', to the samba user, 'test'. It has a line
> 'test = test'.

nothing to do with the smbusers file. but everything with the smbpasswd file
... it must contain the users allowed to connect to the sambe structure(s)
aka shares ..

> Is there any concise & accurate documentation on samba? Most of the
> stuff I find seems to be written by people who are experts in linux but
> not so well versed in Windows (for example, referring to "roaming"
> accounts as "roving" accounts).

well unfortunately the docs on this subject are seemingly all scattered and
it also costed me hours/days? of googling to dig up all the info ..

Try an additional search with the keywords "unofficial samba howto .." It
will yield a very workable documentation ..

good luck ..

0
imbsysop
8/6/2003 9:48:34 PM
Thanks again for the info and suggestions.

I'll ask Google about that stuff.

imbsysop wrote:
> "Michael McGinnis" <linuxmcginnis@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks for your two responses.
>>
>>None of the documentation I've been using mention such a trust account.
>>Sorry, I didn't understand the syntax. Where would I find the Samba 2.2
>>PDC docs you mention? Do you have a URL?
>

> google is absolutely yr friend .. look for the Samba 2.2 PDC HOWTA and the
> Samba 2.2 PDC FAQ HOWTO .. It will at least clarify a number of
> configuration issues ..

<snip>

0
Michael
8/7/2003 1:44:40 AM
Michael McGinnis <linuxmcginnis@comcast.net> schrieb:
> I am still unable to log into my samba server from my Windows XP box. I
> think the problem is in my samba config. I've appended the smb.conf file
> at the end. I stripped out the comment lines for easier reading.

Are you able to connect to shares from a different machine or from
the samba server itself using smbclient?

> 	wins support = yes

Why did you set this parameter? Do all other machines in the workgroup use
this machine as their WINS server?

Bye, Patrick
0
Patrick
8/7/2003 6:14:07 AM
Hello,

I am having the same type of issue as well, however it very might well be
the same thing or not! Heck if I know honestly.  If this is the same issue
described here in this post please let me know.  I don't want to trouble
anyone and ask them to repeat what has been said.  I do appreciate your
looking into this for me.

I just built a box with Redhat 9 (shrike), got samba up and running out of
the box! How sweet it is I must say, then WHAMMIE, samba went to hell in a
handbasket.

I used to be able to "browse" the network neighborhood from a Windows XP Pro
machine, and Windows 2000 advanced server but something is killing it. I
susepect something in samba is doing odd things in my network. The error I
receive says that "cannot find \\shrike9 or for that fact
\\shrike9\Samba_Shared.

I know my UNC naming convention is not all that "unique" however for testing
and internal putposes It's just simplier to do it this way.

I have not worked on Redhat or Linux for that fact much, therefore almost
have no idea where to look. Any type of guidance would be appreciated in
this matter.

The Samba service is running, and I have restated it numerous times... I can
ping the SAMBA server off the ip address, however off the DNS name it will
not respond.

Did I give enough information here to start off with? If you can post this
to the NG, and send me an e-mail directly I would appreciate it greatly, as
I don't check NG's on a frequent basis! :)

Your response is gladly appreciated!

Rob Szkutak

"In a world full of windows who needs gates"

0
Rob
8/7/2003 10:32:06 AM
"Rob Szkutak" <rob@bluenetworking.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I used to be able to "browse" the network neighborhood from a Windows XP
Pro
> machine, and Windows 2000 advanced server but something is killing it. I
> susepect something in samba is doing odd things in my network. The error I
> receive says that "cannot find \\shrike9 or for that fact
> \\shrike9\Samba_Shared.

are you sure yr nmbd deamon stays alive ? I got a problem of it getting
killed after some time due to an error in the smb.conf (apparently although
I was not able to spot which one)
I found out that when I did a "service smb restart" the nmbd was not running
anymore

> The Samba service is running, and I have restated it numerous times... I
can
> ping the SAMBA server off the ip address, however off the DNS name it will
> not respond.

do you mean DNS name or NETBIOS name which is not the same altogether

you could try to patch up things localy by making a hosts and lmhosts file &
check if that solves the name resolving ..

0
imbsysop
8/7/2003 8:59:11 PM
Thanks.

imbsysop wrote:
> "Rob Szkutak" <rob@bluenetworking.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> are you sure yr nmbd deamon stays alive ? I got a problem of it getting
> killed after some time due to an error in the smb.conf (apparently although
> I was not able to spot which one)
> I found out that when I did a "service smb restart" the nmbd was not running
> anymore

The service is always up when I go in to restart it after messing with
smb.conf or something. The "Service Configuration" GUI in RH9 always
indicates a reasonable-seeming status for smbd & nmbd.

Typical:
"smbd (pid 1955) is running...
nmbd (pid 1960 1959) is running..."

>>The Samba service is running, and I have restated it numerous times... I
>>can ping the SAMBA server off the ip address, however off the DNS name it will
>>not respond.
>

> do you mean DNS name or NETBIOS name which is not the same altogether
>
> you could try to patch up things localy by making a hosts and lmhosts file &
> check if that solves the name resolving ..

I had been pinging against the netbios name but I had an entry:

192.168.1.90   sambanode     #PRE

in my Win XP "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts" file. So, the DNS
lookup should have resolved properly. But that problem went away after 3
or so reboots.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I probably need to just start all over
again and make sure everything is configured the way I think it's
configured.

0
Michael
8/8/2003 2:49:02 AM
> Thanks.
>
> I had been pinging against the netbios name but I had an entry:
>
> 192.168.1.90   sambanode     #PRE
>
> in my Win XP "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts" file. So, the DNS
> lookup should have resolved properly. But that problem went away after 3
> or so reboots.

BTW you can open a dos window on the XP machine and use a "netstat -rn"
command to show you yr routing tables

and an "nbtstat <-switch>" to check the local "smb" settings (ie roughly
what was read from the lmhosts file)

HTH

0
imbsysop
8/8/2003 11:42:24 AM
"Michael McGinnis" <linuxmcginnis@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Newbie stuff
>
> I'm running RH9 Pro all up-to-date.
> I have a WinXP box all up-to-date.
>
> It tried following the "SAMBA Installation Notes" on:
>
> http://www.linuxorbit.com/howto/sambahowto.php3
>
> I pretty much left the smb.conf in its virgin state except for the
> following changes:
> ==========
> # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
>     workgroup = DOGZ
>
> # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
>     server string = SAMBA
>
>    encrypt passwords = yes
>    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>
> [homes]
>     comment = Home Directories
>     browseable = yes
>     writable = yes
> ==========
>
> I restarted smbd and nmbd.
>
> My Windows XP box can see the server in the network neighborhood but I
> can't open it or map a drive. I get the error, "\\Server is not
accessible".

> I tried running it with passwords unencrypted (even remembered to
> restart the processes). No luck.
>
> Used smbpasswd again to make sure the account password was right.
> smbpasswd -a test
>
> Verified that the Windows password is right, too. Verifed that all of
> the proper Windows protocols and clients are loaded.
>
> Ran testparm and it looks like there aren't any syntax errors.
>
> Rebooted both boxes.
>
> No changes.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike@michael-mcginnis.com

I have an answer that is working for me now but may pose other questions.  I
was/am having the same problems.  I just wanted a print server for three
computers (2 laptops and one desktop).  I had an old pc to use as the
server.  I set it up with Redhat 9 and Samba.  Proceeded to try and get a XP
laptop to connect.  I did have problems, which the web helped me solve, but
finally got the laptop to print a test page.  At this point I assume that
Samba is set up correctly.  (It may be wrong to assume.)  I next tried to
get the XP desktop to find the server.  I managed to get it to work
partially but the system was having other networking  and cd burner issues
so I decided to reinstalled XP Home on it.

Anyway, on the first real bootup of the desktop pc I set up the network
connection, connected to the server and printed a test page.  No problems.
I then began loading drivers for the rest of the hardware, testing the Samba
server connection after every reboot.  Next came the Windows Update
stuff...No problems. Next, I installed McAfee firewall, set it up, and I
still had access to the Samba server, the files and the printer.  The next
thing I loaded was Norton's AntiVirus 2003.  When the system rebooted I no
longer had access to the Samba server.

I tried numerous "solutions" that I found on the web (leaving Norton's on
the desktop) and nothing worked.  Finally in a fit of frustration I
uninstalled the network card drivers and then scaned for hardware changes
and allowed the card to be reinstalled.  I had access to the Samba server
again.  After a reboot the access is gone, server is not accessible.  It
turns out that I could disable the network connection and then enable it to
get access to the Samba server for as long as the pc was not rebooted.

I have removed the antivirus software and I can access the server.

Does this help anyone?  I just got to this point a couple of hours ago but I
have not seen any posts about antivirus software disrupting network
connections.

Jon

0
Jon
9/5/2003 12:38:27 AM
Jon,
    You need one more setting in your smb.conf file.

    security = domain or user or share... ( "user" would probably work best
for you)

    Next, you need to setup an account under samba and linux for each user.
It helps to match the username and password to your windows account (you
shouldn't get the annoying login box each time you open a share).  Other
than that, you should be good to go.

"Jon M. Lamb" <b.a.m.b@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> thing I loaded was Norton's AntiVirus 2003.  When the system rebooted I no
> longer had access to the Samba server.
>
> I tried numerous "solutions" that I found on the web (leaving Norton's on
> the desktop) and nothing worked.  Finally in a fit of frustration I
> uninstalled the network card drivers and then scaned for hardware changes
> and allowed the card to be reinstalled.  I had access to the Samba server
> again.  After a reboot the access is gone, server is not accessible.  It
> turns out that I could disable the network connection and then enable it
> get access to the Samba server for as long as the pc was not rebooted.
>
> I have removed the antivirus software and I can access the server.
>
> Does this help anyone?  I just got to this point a couple of hours ago but
> have not seen any posts about antivirus software disrupting network

0
Robert

I have a very frustrating problem. I have a situation that works fine on some computers, but not on others. I have SQL Server Express 2005 and Access 2003 loaded on 4 computers. I have set up a "Linked Server" in SQL Server linked to my Access database. I am running queries on t-SQL against the Access tables through the linked server. On all of the computers, I can do select queries and they all work great but what I need to do is run Update, Insert, Delete queries as well. On a couple of the computers, it works fine, locally and across the LAN, and a VPN as far as that goes. B...

difference between "server" and "forwarders"
Hello, I didn't got the point from the docs. What's the difference between "server" and "forwarders" in bind 8 configuration file? The documentation gives: - forwarders: Specifies the IP addresses to be used for forwarding. The default is the empty list (no forwarding). - server: sets certain configuration options on a per-server basis As far as I understand I can define other DNS servers with "server" and also with "forwarders". In wich way should I define the providers DNS server for my local D...

"Empty trash when exiting" & "Leave mail on server+Delete from server when emptied from Trash" problem
Hi All, I checked the three option in the subject and when I quit Eudora it does not delete Trashed message from the server. If I delete Trash manually, upon next mailcheck Eudora deletes what was emptied from the Trash box. This also causes Eudora downloading multiple copies of the same message if I restart it. Probably it deletes something from lmos.dat when I Trash the message or I quit. So I get every Trashed message again, every time I start Eudora. Same thing if I quit after manually emptying Trash, but not checking mail. Any help welcome, Csacsi On 20 Feb 2004 03:18:1...

tclws (web service) server: protocol "http:" hard coded
I have another question as web-service newbee : Within the server part of tclws, the protocol "http:" is hard-coded for all URL's within the wsdl file. If I use ssl (for example with the embedded server), shouldn't those urls use the protocol "https:" ? Thank you, Harald ...

"ISA Server 2004 is the only product that gives you both a firewall server and proxy server"
http://www.microsoft.com/ISAServer/ "ISA Server 2004 is the only product that gives you both a firewall server and proxy server, too. We really like this feature and now we need just a single server for each college." - Adi Milner of Mofet Institute What a moron! I can not believe the shit Microsoft puts on their website! http://www.ipcop.org/ Firewall Caching Proxy VPN Content Filtering IDS Riding on harden OS! cost=$0 http://www.astaro.com/firewall_network_security/security_solution Firewall VPN Gateway Anti-Virus Intrusion Protection Spam Filtering Content Filtering Riding o...

Too few parameters expected 2 error occurs after migrating "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server"
Hello all I get Too few parameters expected 2 error and "The MS Jet Database engine cannot find the input table or query "myTempTablename". Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly. 3078" after I migrated "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server 2000" and relinked all linked tables. The front-end interface of my application is MS Access 2000. The back-end is MS SQL Server 2000. After I migrated the database and relinked all linked tables, "Too few parameters expected 2" and "input table or query "myTempTablename" 30...

VPN Client cannot see "other" server
Hello: I am fairly new to using VPN client software and have a question that I was hoping someone could answer for me. I am also new to system administration. We have two offices, office A and office B. Office A has a server, Windows 2003 server, and office B (my office) has a server running windows 2000 server. The two servers have a VPN tunnel between the two of them and we can access shared directories on both servers during our daily work in the office. When our employees travel and connect to either server with Cicso VPN Client v. 4.0.3, they cannot see the shared drives on the other...

"out" and "in out"

POP3 server to Lotus Server "bridge" software
Dear All, Do anyone know if is possible through an additional program to emulate the lotus note email server functionality and map them on a virtual standard POP3 mail server, creating a lotus server to POP3 server bridge. I'm using the lotus notes 5.0.9a at the moment under Windows 2000. The scope of this request is to make possible to work with a standard email client like Outlook express to fetch and to send mail to the lotus server Of course, you can assume that a lotus client/server software is available with the related license. I'm in a big company and so I th...

"/a" is not "/a" ?

SMTP server to Lotus Server "bridge" software
Dear All Do anyone know if is possible through an additional program to emulate the lotus note email server functionality and map them on a virtual standard SMPT mail server, creating a lotus server to SMTP server bridge. I'm using the lotus notes 5.0.9a at the moment under Windows 2000. The scope of this request is to make possible to work with a standard email client like Outlook express to fetch and to send mail to the lotus server Of curse, you can assume that a lotus clinet/server software is available whith the relate license. Is this bridge available ? Thank...

Web resources about - WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible" - comp.protocols.smb