is www.mail.yahoo.com <> mail.yahoo.com

Hello
I am a newbie, learning Domain Naming System(DNS). I want to know whether
www.mail.yahoo.com is same as mail.yahoo.com. Since www is a subdomain of
mail.yahoo.com
it must be a different machine. Does it need to be on different IP address.
I have seen cases where a
subdomain such as www.site.com has same IP address as site.com. Is this
normal. What kind of record
is need to be created in DNS for this mapping.

--
Winners dont do different things, they do things differently.

Madhur Ahuja
India

Homepage : http://madhur.netfirms.com

0
Madhur
7/21/2004 6:32:31 PM
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains 453 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <2m7rcvFk0v6qU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Madhur Ahuja" <df@df.com>
wrote:

> Hello
> I am a newbie, learning Domain Naming System(DNS). I want to know whether
> www.mail.yahoo.com is same as mail.yahoo.com.

barmar $ host www.mail.yahoo.com
www.mail.yahoo.com is an alias for rc.yahoo.com.
rc.yahoo.com is an alias for rc.yahoo.akadns.net.
rc.yahoo.akadns.net has address 66.218.71.114
rc.yahoo.akadns.net has address 66.218.71.112
rc.yahoo.akadns.net has address 66.218.71.113
barmar $ host mail.yahoo.com
mail.yahoo.com is an alias for login.yahoo.com.
login.yahoo.com is an alias for login.yahoo.akadns.net.
login.yahoo.akadns.net has address 216.109.127.60

They don't seem to be the same.

> Since www is a subdomain of
> mail.yahoo.com
> it must be a different machine.

No it doesn't, but in this case it appears to be.

> Does it need to be on different IP address.

It could be if they wanted it to.

> I have seen cases where a
> subdomain such as www.site.com has same IP address as site.com. Is this
> normal. What kind of record
> is need to be created in DNS for this mapping.

Any name can be used for anything you want.  If you want two names to
resolve to the same same address, just enter two A records with the same
address.  You can also use aliases, as Yahoo does for some of their
names (akadns.net is used by Akamai for their load sharing/balancing
servers).

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA