what is telnet 0.0.0.0 supposed to do?

Hi all.

on windows it seems to be an illegal address, on solaris/linux it
gives you
a login on the localhost.

could someone point to some more info on 0.0.0.0 ?

yes, I already googled.
0
adirtymindisajoyfore
7/30/2009 11:08:47 AM
comp.protocols.tcp-ip 4448 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Jul 30, 7:08=A0am, adirtymindisajoyforever
<getridofthes...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> on windows it seems to be an illegal address, on solaris/linux it
> gives you
> a login on the localhost.
>
> could someone point to some more info on 0.0.0.0 ?

In principle, if you mean 0.0.0.0 as a destination address, it could
just as well be illegal. I don't think you'd miss out on anything if
it were made illegal.

As a source address, it is typically used as a place filler, until the
host has acquired its IP address (e.g. when first transmitting a DHCP
request)..

IIRC, way back when, Sun was using 0.0.0.0 as an option for the
limited broadcast address. But that's clearly not standard.

Bert
0
Albert
7/30/2009 2:50:37 PM
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.tcp-ip, in article
<53d86c51-b2d6-4c63-9d1f-80358dc76268@c14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
adirtymindisajoyforever wrote:

reduces the chance of your post being seen.  Find a real news server.

>on windows it seems to be an illegal address,

Not unreasonable - it's not a "normal" _destination address, although
it is a valid _source_ address.

>on solaris/linux it gives you a login on the localhost.

  1122 Requirements for Internet Hosts - Communication Layers. R.
       Braden, Ed.. October 1989. (Format: TXT=295992 bytes) (Updates
       RFC0793) (Updated by RFC1349, RFC4379) (Also STD0003) (Status:
       STANDARD)

Section 3.2.1.3 third paragraph (near the top of page 30) and look at
sub-paragraph (a).   That shows it as "{ 0, 0 }" which means that the
network and host parts of the IP address are all zeros - 0.0.0.0.

>could someone point to some more info on 0.0.0.0 ?

RFC1122 is referring to RFC0791 Section 3.2

  0791 Internet Protocol. J. Postel. September 1981. (Format: TXT=97779
       bytes) (Obsoletes RFC0760) (Updated by RFC1349) (Also STD0005)

>yes, I already googled.

No idea what you were using for search terms - try looking for those
two RFCs which are widely available on the net.  See also
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space  and RFC3330.

        Old guy
0
ibuprofin