2 ntpd processes with unknown server name ?!?...

hi,
can someone tell me why there are 2 ntpd processes running when I add
an unknown server name (not in /etc/hosts) in ntp.conf file and then
call /usr/sbin/ntpd ?
Is it normal ? Is the behaviour of the daemon correct in this case, I
mean does it synchronizes correctly if there are other server names in
ntp.conf file (I tried and it seems to ...) ?

thanks
ludovic.
0
ludovic

"ludovic LECLERC" <ludovic.leclerc@col.bsf.alcatel.fr> wrote in message

> can someone tell me why there are 2 ntpd processes running when I add
> an unknown server name (not in /etc/hosts) in ntp.conf file and then
> call /usr/sbin/ntpd ?

    One is the time server, the other is trying to figure out what the
server name is.

> Is it normal ?

    Yes.

> Is the behaviour of the daemon correct in this case, I
> mean does it synchronizes correctly if there are other server names in
> ntp.conf file (I tried and it seems to ...) ?

    Yes. Because there's no convenient way to work on the unknown server
name without blocking, NTP uses a separate process.

    DS

0
David
6/27/2003 9:21:00 PM
ntpd will fork a process to do DNS resolution.

That is what you are seeing.

Harlan