Fwd: [ntpwg] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [ntpwg] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option
for	DHCPv6
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:58:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org
To: ietf-announce@ietf.org, rfc-dist@rfc-editor.org
CC: ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5908

        Title:      Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server
                    Option for DHCPv6
        Author:     R. Gayraud, B. Lourdelet
        Date:       June 2010
        Mailbox:    richard.gayraud@free.fr,
                    blourdel@cisco.com
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 17452
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ntp-dhcpv6-ntp-opt-06.txt

The NTP Server Option for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for
IPv6 (DHCPv6) provides NTPv4 (Network Time Protocol version 4) server
location information to DHCPv6 hosts.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of
the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org.  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

mayer4038 (59)

Fwd: [ntpwg] RFC 5905 on Network Time Protocol Version 4: Protocol and Algorithms Specification
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [ntpwg] RFC 5905 on Network Time Protocol Version 4: Protocol and Algorithms Specification Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:56:06 -0700 (PDT) From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org To: ietf-announce@ietf.org, rfc-dist@rfc-editor.org CC: ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5905 Title: Network Time Protocol Version 4: Protocol and Algorithms Specification Author: D. Mills, J. Martin, Ed., J. Burbank, W. Kasch Status: Standards Track Stream: IETF Date: June 2010 Mailbox: mills@udel.edu, jrmii@isc.org, jack.burbank@jhuapl.edu, william.kasch@jhuapl.edu Pages: 110 Characters: 241096 Obsoletes: RFC1305, RFC4330 I-D Tag: draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-13.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5905.txt The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is widely used to synchronize computer clocks in the Internet. This document describes NTP version 4 (NTPv4), which is backwards compatible with NTP version 3 (NTPv3), described in RFC 1305, as well as previous versions of the protocol. NTPv4 includes a modified protocol header to accommodate the Internet Protocol version 6 address family. NTPv4 includes fundamental improvements in the mitigation and discipline algori...

Fwd: [ntpwg] RFC 5906 on Network Time Protocol Version 4: Autokey Specification
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [ntpwg] RFC 5906 on Network Time Protocol Version 4: Autokey Specification Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:57:32 -0700 (PDT) From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org To: ietf-announce@ietf.org, rfc-dist@rfc-editor.org CC: ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5906 Title: Network Time Protocol Version 4: Autokey Specification Author: B. Haberman, Ed., D. Mills Status: Informational Stream: IETF Date: June 2010 Mailbox: brian@innovationslab.net, mills@udel.edu Pages: 58 Characters: 140145 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-08.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5906.txt This memo describes the Autokey security model for authenticating servers to clients using the Network Time Protocol (NTP) and public key cryptography. Its design is based on the premise that IPsec schemes cannot be adopted intact, since that would preclude stateless servers and severely compromise timekeeping accuracy. In addition, Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) schemes presume authenticated time values are always available to enforce certificate lifetimes; however, cryptographically verified timestamps require interaction between the timekeeping and authentic...

Fwd: [ntpwg] RFC 5907 on Definitions of Managed Objects for Network Time Protocol Version 4 (NTPv4)
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [ntpwg] RFC 5907 on Definitions of Managed Objects for Network Time Protocol Version 4 (NTPv4) Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:57:51 -0700 (PDT) From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org To: ietf-announce@ietf.org, rfc-dist@rfc-editor.org CC: ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5907 Title: Definitions of Managed Objects for Network Time Protocol Version 4 (NTPv4) Author: H. Gerstung, C. Elliott, B. Haberman, Ed. Status: Standards Track Stream: IETF Date: June 2010 Mailbox: heiko.gerstung@meinberg.de, chelliot@pobox.com, brian@innovationslab.net Pages: 26 Characters: 46950 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-mib-07.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5907.txt The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is used in networks of all types and sizes for time synchronization of servers, workstations, and other networked equipment. As time synchronization is more and more a mission-critical service, standardized means for monitoring and management of this subsystem of a networked host are required to allow operators of such a service to set up a monitoring system that is platform- and vendor-independent. This document provides ...

Network Time Protocol (NTP) for NonStop
Has anyone used ntp on NonStop? HP has ported this for the OSS target. I know Bowden systems sells NSK-NTP, but I am wondering if anyone has used the open-source version. Thanks in advance. NonStopForEver wrote: > Has anyone used ntp on NonStop? HP has ported this for the OSS target. > I know Bowden systems sells NSK-NTP, but I am wondering if anyone has > used the open-source version. > > Thanks in advance. We use a product written by a german guy. It only acts as a client but does the job. If you wany some details then PM me. Hi Mark. Is this the C code that gets the time from a NIST server and then uses the SETSYSTEMCLOCK procedure? ...

NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres
Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. Officialy NTP is not compatible with Ingres. Thanks. Bruno. At 11:34 AM 7/18/2003 +0200, Bruno Wipier wrote: >Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. Officialy NTP is not >compatible with Ingres. > >Thanks. > >Bruno. Bruno, I guess I'm a bit flustered. Is there some list of UNIX utilities that are or are not "compatible" with Ingres? NTP merely keeps your clock in sync, usually within milliseconds of the 'master'. Is Ingres not compatible with the correct time? ;-) Or are you running Ingres 6.4 and you are manually dealing with Day Light Savings Time? In that case, you might be fudging with the system clock and/or time zone. I wouldn't run NTP in that case, unless you learn to configure it to your rules. By the way, DLST is evil. Where, pray tell, is this "official" non-compatibility posted? Cheers, Michael Leo mleo@cariboulake.com Java, J2EE, .NET Caribou Lake Software http://www.cariboulake.com Oracle, Ingres, So much style without substance, so much stuff without style. It's hard to recognize the real thing. It comes along once in a while. - Grand Designs, Power Windows, Rush ...

LAN and a local NTP server (time protocol)
Is there a way to have a group of networked computers access one of the computers in the LAN to synchronize their time? I don't want these computers to have internet access, but I would like them all to be set to the same time (even if it isn't exactly the same as the atomic clock at the Naval Observatory). Can I set up one computer to be an NTP server and the others access it for setting each computers time? I'm currently using OSX jaguar. I used to have a client-server database that would set the time on each client as it accessed the database. However with OSX only the root...

Re: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #6
By the way, even though most servers I meet can't keep time to save a life, my 4-year-old Powerbook G3 laptop will generally hold time to within a few seconds every couple months. Even the ancient (9-year-old) Performa 6110 that we just retired could keep time better than my Ultra 2 can. -- Karl R. Schendel, Jr. schendel@kbcomputer.com K/B Computer Associates www.kbcomputer.com Ingres, Unix, VMS Consulting and Training ...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #5
> From: Ingres, yeah baby!! [mailto:Use-Author-Address-Header@[127.1]] > Paul Mason wrote: > > Why is it that a cheap digital watch can keep time better than > > an expensive computer? > > Well, a cheap digital watch does not have so much to think > about! (You've just reminded me of Mr. Prosser, for some > reason ( <http://tinyurl.com/hkde> ) ). Still, the basic > principle is the same - oscillator frequency variation > will make some difference. There may be some issue with > lost clock interrupts, AFAIR. Each clock interrupt causes > the kernel to increment the time (by 10 milli- seconds, > 1/100 second?), so a higher priority interrupt causing a > missed clock interrupt would result in time slippage. > This is all a long time ago, and I can't remember whether > that is for an old mainframe, or a Sun system. It probably > doesn't matter, anyway - my 1st. Law of Computing - "all > computers are the same computer". Oh, I think temperature > has some issue on clock speed, too. This *is* irritating, > I may have to go and look it up! > Can't we just do something like hook up a cheap digital watch to motherboard so it has it's own internal 'time-server' that it can sync against periodically. Then all you'd need is the equivalent of ntpdate in firmware, set to run regularly enough so it never has to 'step' the time, give it a fr...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #2
> At 11:34 AM 7/18/2003 +0200, Bruno Wipier wrote: > >Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. > Officialy NTP is not > >compatible with Ingres. > > > >Thanks. > > > >Bruno. > > Bruno, > > I guess I'm a bit flustered. Is there some list of > UNIX utilities that are or are not "compatible" with > Ingres? > > NTP merely keeps your clock in sync, usually within > milliseconds of the 'master'. > > Is Ingres not compatible with the correct time? ;-) We don't support changing the system clock whilst ingres is running, especially if it goes backwards. It will affect timestamps on journal records as well as any user data created with date('now') etc. From the man page of ntpdate, if the time is out of sync by < 0.5 sec then it will adjust it by calling adjtime, which doesn't actually change the clock it merely speeds it up or slows it down slightly until the time is back in sync. This method should be ok because it means that the time is always increasing as it should. If the difference is > 0.5 sec then it will set the time by calling settimeofday. This should be avoided while ingres is running, and if the time is set backwards then ingres should really be kept down long enough for the new clock time to overtake the old. The point about 6.4 and DST is a good one. HTH Paul Mason At 04:37 PM 7/18/2003 +010...

Local time and NTP server time
Hello when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time? thx Melanie Pfefer <melanie_pfefer@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Hello > > when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time? > It doesn't as ntp always uses UTC. Conversion to local time is up to the system. -- Jim Pennino Remove .spam.sux to reply. Melanie Pfefer wrote: > Hello > > when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time? > ...

Network time protocol (NTP) client configuration help needed urgently
Hi, I want to configure my redhat linux 8 machines for Network time protocol(NTP) clients and my NTP server will be in solaris 8 machine.How to configure NTP client in redhat linux 8.Please help me in this.I am in need of urgent. Thanks in advance Regards In article <9b27068c.0306262214.1470f0f9@posting.google.com>, sridhar wrote: > Hi, > > I want to configure my redhat linux 8 machines for Network time > protocol(NTP) clients and my NTP server will be in solaris 8 > machine.How to configure NTP client in redhat linux 8.Please help me > in this.I am in need of urge...

what happens if ntp server jumps time BIG TIME
Hi, Scenario: - I'm in control of a NTP server and can change the time on this server as I please (this server is "sync'ed to the hw-clock) - I have a client that is sync'ed with the server above (and only that server) What happens if I change the time on the server, lets say 5 years forward? Will the client sync to the server? and If so, how? big leap? small steps? Will the flag "-g" affect how the client reacts to this changes? Yes, I do realise that this scenario is stupid in many ways. Only one server, big time changes on the server etc etc, and I do know how to fix ti, but this is the scenario that I need an answer to. Any input welcome! BR, Fredrik Hi-- On Feb 9, 2012, at 1:36 PM, bombjack wrote: > What happens if I change the time on the server, lets say 5 years > forward? Will the client sync to the server? and If so, how? big leap? > small steps? Will the flag "-g" affect how the client reacts to this > changes? Exactly. If the server reports a time that is further than the panic threshold from the client's clock (which defaults to 1000 seconds) then it will reject the server and exit. A human is then expected to manually inspect the situation and set the clock to something reasonably close. The -g flag lets you disable this sanity check. Regards, -- -Chuck On Feb 9, 2012, at 4:05 PM, Chris Albertson wrote: >> Exactly. If the server reports a time that is further than the panic threshold from th...

NTP client syncs successfully with NTP server within local network but not with the NTP pool servers
I am using ntp 4.2.6p5 on linux. I setup an NTP server on a machine in another subnet and tried to sync my machine with the server and it works well. But when I try to use the pool.ntp.org servers (I tried 0.pool.ntp.org, 1.pool.ntp.org, etc. and just pool.ntp.org servers), it does not sync. nslookup on pool.ntp.org as well as 0.pool.ntp.org gives proper DNS resolution and ping works on the IPs returned by nslookup as well. Output of iptables grepped for UDP is as follows: [Thu Feb 10 12:39:14 root@root-ubuntu:~]# iptables -L -n -v | grep udp 92 13001 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:123 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:161 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:443 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:623 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:389 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:636 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:3268 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:3269 Output of the netstat command is as follows: [Thu Feb 10 12:35:51 root@root-ubuntu:~]# netstat -a | grep udp udp 0 0 localhost:9473 0...

[rfc-dist] RFC 4567 on Key Management Extensions for Session Description Protocol (SDP) and Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 4567 Title: Key Management Extensions for Session Description Protocol (SDP) and Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) Author: J. Arkko, F. Lindholm, M. Naslund, K. Norrman, E. Carrara Status: Standards Track Date: July 2006 Mailbox: jari.arkko@ericsson.com, fredrik.lindholm@ericsson.com, mats.naslund@ericsson.com, karl.norrman@ericsson.com, carrara@kth.se Pages: 30 Characters: 67693 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-ietf-mmusic-kmgmt-ext-15.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4567.txt This document defines general extensions for Session Description Protocol (SDP) and Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) to carry messages, as specified by a key management protocol, in order to secure the media. These extensions are presented as a framework, to be used by one or more key management protocols. As such, their use is meaningful only when complemented by an appropriate key management protocol. General guidelines are also given on how the framework should be used together with SIP and RTSP. The usage with the Multimedia Internet KEYing (MIKEY) key management protocol is a...

A ntp client is running ahead of time of our netowork ntp server.
Hi List I have an issue with a ntp client running Linux SuSE 9.3 Our Network ntp server is a Red Hat Linux Advanced Server release 2.1A. *I initialy had an* error regarding seeing* *"Bad file descriptor" errors in /var/log/ntp* *then made sure that only one instance of ntpd* *is running socklist command and ps -auxxx|egrep ntpd thus run * *kill -9 PID's and restart ntpd /etc/init.d/ntpd restart. This seemed to fix things and when I run date command volia I thought I fixed it So thus to test after weekend. * *Thus I have checked this morning using date command and I the ntp client is 20 minutes ahead of our network ntp server. Thus I have checked the /var/log/ntp lof file:: 15 Dec 10:39:14 ntpd[11875]: synchronized to LOCAL(0), stratum 10 15 Dec 10:40:22 ntpd[11875]: synchronized to 10.0.2.3, stratum 3 15 Dec 10:59:44 ntpd[11875]: kernel time sync disabled 0041 15 Dec 11:01:52 ntpd[11875]: kernel time sync enabled 0001 Thus doesn't look that I have an issue. Please advice and any suggestions welcomed. Cheers Chuck * * -- Chuck Amadi ROK Corporation Limited Ty ROK, Dyffryn Business Park, Llantwit Major Road, Llandow, Vale Of Glamorgan. CF71 7PY Tel: 01446 795 839 Fax: 01446 794 994 International Tel: +44 1446 795 839 email: chuck.amadi@rokcorp.com This email is confidential to the addressee only. If you do not believe that you are the intended recipient, do not pass it on or copy it in any way. Please delete it immediately. _______...

Re: [ntp:questions] Unable to get time from NTP server
----- Original Message Follows ----- > That worked. I had a number of peers who's access policy had changed. > Also, it seems that changing notrust to nopeer seems to have corrected > the problem. Thanks for your help. > You shouldn't use notrust unless you know what you are doing. Its meaning changed betweeen 4.1.x and 4.2.0 and almost certainly was the cause of your problems. Danny ...

[rfc-dist] RFC 5907 on Definitions of Managed Objects for Network Time Protocol Version 4 (NTPv4)
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5907 Title: Definitions of Managed Objects for Network Time Protocol Version 4 (NTPv4) Author: H. Gerstung, C. Elliott, B. Haberman, Ed. Status: Standards Track Stream: IETF Date: June 2010 Mailbox: heiko.gerstung@meinberg.de, chelliot@pobox.com, brian@innovationslab.net Pages: 26 Characters: 46950 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-mib-07.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5907.txt The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is used in networks of all types and sizes for time synchronization of servers, workstations, and other networked equipment. As time synchronization is more and more a mission-critical service, standardized means for monitoring and management of this subsystem of a networked host are required to allow operators of such a service to set up a monitoring system that is platform- and vendor-independent. This document provides a standardized collection of data objects for monitoring the NTP entity of such a network participant and it is part of the NTP version 4 standardization effort. [STANDARDS TRACK] This document is a product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of the IETF. This ...

[rfc-dist] RFC 4571 on Framing Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) and RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Packets over Connection-Oriented Transport
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 4571 Title: Framing Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) and RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Packets over Connection-Oriented Transport Author: J. Lazzaro Status: Standards Track Date: July 2006 Mailbox: lazzaro@cs.berkeley.edu Pages: 9 Characters: 18751 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-ietf-avt-rtp-framing-contrans-06.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4571.txt This memo defines a method for framing Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) and RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) packets onto connection-oriented transport (such as TCP). The memo also defines how session descriptions may specify RTP streams that use the framing method. [STANDARDS TRACK] This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF. This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol. STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and status of this protocol. Distribution of this memo is unlimited. This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-D...

[rfc-dist] Corrected Announcement: RFC 5287 on Control Protocol Extensions for the Setup of Time-Division Multiplexing (TDM) Pseudowires in MPLS Networks
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5287 Title: Control Protocol Extensions for the Setup of Time-Division Multiplexing (TDM) Pseudowires in MPLS Networks Author: A. Vainshtein, Y(J). Stein Status: Standards Track Date: August 2008 Mailbox: Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com, yaakov_s@rad.com Pages: 16 Characters: 33070 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-ietf-pwe3-tdm-control-protocol-extensi-07.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5287.txt This document defines extension to the Pseudowire Emulation Edge-to-Edge (PWE3) control protocol RFC 4447 and PWE3 IANA allocations RFC 4446 required for the setup of Time-Division Multiplexing (TDM) pseudowires in MPLS networks. [STANDARDS TRACK] This document is a product of the Pseudo Wire Emulation Edge to Edge Working Group of the IETF. This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol. STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions for improvements. Please refer to the current edition of the Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and status of this protocol. Distribution of this memo is unlimited. This announcemen...

Re: [ntp:questions] Re: How application get precise time from Win NT/XP system time that synchronies to NTP
----- Original Message Follows ----- > Martin, > > If my application polls the system time once every tick, i.e. 10 > millisecond, can I get nanosecond resolution and accuracy that NTP can > provide? > The simple answer is no way. The more complicated answer is that you would need an real atomic clock directly connected on a machine running a realtime O/S with absolutely no other processes that the absolute essential ones. Windows wouldn't even be in the picture here, it's not designed for what you are asking. What exactly are you trying to do and why? A little ex...

Sow to sync system time to BIOS automatic after ntpd updated os time from remote ntp server?
Hi, all, I meet below problem on SUSE11 sp1 64bit with ntp4.2.4p6: 1. Set os date and bios date 7 minutes earlier than current date time; and wait ntpd to sync from remote ntp server to fix the time , after some minutes, both OS time and bios time fixed. 2. but when I try to test 30 minutes instead of 7minutes, only os time synced with upper level ntp server, the bios time still 30 minutes earlier than os time. hwclock can sync time to bios. Is there any option to control the "sync to bios" action? Or I need to set a cron job to run hwclock ? Thanks. -- Colin > > Is there any option to control the "sync to bios" action? > Or I need to set a cron job to run hwclock ? > I assume that you are using a machine that is a relative of the IBM PC/AT, and by BIOS clock, you mean the clock that used to be attached to the CMOS parameter RAM and was clocked at 32kHz? None in ntpd. If you use the kernel time discipline, Linux will do so in less than 11 minutes. Some people disapprove of this because it frustrates utilities that correct for clock drift when the processor is powered down. ...

Let ntp server not synchronize time from other servers
Hello, experts! Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time from other servers? I have read the man pages about ntpd and googled a lot, but I didn't find any good solution. Any comments are welcome! Thanks! Hello WANG Cong, WANG Cong wrote: > Hello, experts! > > Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time > from other servers? Just don't put any server lines into your ntp.conf file ;-) If you want some upstream servers to be polled but don't want to synchronize to them you can simply append the noselect keyword to the entries, e.g. server pool.ntp.org noselect Martin -- Martin Burnicki Meinberg Funkuhren Bad Pyrmont Germany On Aug 28, 11:12 a.m, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni...@meinberg.de> wrote: > Hello WANG Cong, > > WANG Cong wrote: > > Hello, experts! > > > Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time > > from other servers? > > Just don't put any server lines into your ntp.conf file ;-) That's what I did. But it can't work, if there's no server lines, I _always_ got: # /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -b 192.168.90.41 28 Aug 11:21:35 ntpdate[10515]: no server suitable for synchronization found (192.168.90.41 is my own NTP server.) And if I didn't remove the server lines, I can easily run the above command successfully. :-) Any ideas? > > If you want some upstream servers to be polled but don't...

Protocol for time server.
Okay I would like to look at the possibility of buidling an MSF receiver and have it act as a time server on the local lan TCP/IP. Having decoded the time I assume I have to serve it via some sort of UDP service Where can I find the details of the protocol that a time source would have to follow. Many Thanks Keith On 2007-07-31, Keith Sloan <keith@sloan-home.co.uk> wrote: > Okay I would like to look at the possibility of buidling an MSF receiver Plans for an MSF receiver, and the associated interface software, are available at http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/radioclock.html ...

Time limit for NTP to do timing correction??
It is said that there is a limit of the time difference that NTP would correct the timing between the server and client. That is, if the time difference is more than the limit, NTP would just stop its service and quit without doing any time correction. Any one knows what is this limit for NTP Release 4 (for Microsoft Windows NT) ? And, how to change this limit? Cheers :> Crystal wrote: > It is said that there is a limit of the time difference that NTP would > correct the timing between the server and client. That is, if the time > difference is more than the limit, NTP would just ...

Web resources about - Fwd: [ntpwg] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 - comp.protocols.time.ntp