Latest Survey of the NTP Network?

Hi. I've been researching NTP for a presentation I'm planning to give at a =
meetup in a little over a month. I think I've gathered what I need to expla=
in the mechanics of how NTP works. What I'm looking for now is practical an=
alysis of its effectiveness. So far I've found Mills' "Accuracy and Stabili=
ty" from 1990[1] and Minar's survey from 1999[2]. Has there been a more rec=
ent survey?

[1] http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3D86591
[2] http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~nelson/research/ntp-survey99/

Thanks,
Bryan
0
bryan

bryan.fink@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi. I've been researching NTP for a presentation I'm planning to give at a meetup in a little over a month. I think I've gathered what I need to explain the mechanics of how NTP works. What I'm looking for now is practical analysis of its effectiveness. So far I've found Mills' "Accuracy and Stability" from 1990[1] and Minar's survey from 1999[2]. Has there been a more recent survey?
>
> [1] http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=86591
> [2] http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~nelson/research/ntp-survey99/

There is a survey from David Malone concerning the leap second behavior
of public NTP servers, which also includes identification of such
servers. Maybe this is a little bit helpful:
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/p/tma2016.pdf

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren
Bad Pyrmont
Germany
0
Martin
8/29/2016 8:49:06 AM
On 2016-08-29, Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki@meinberg.de> wrote:
> bryan.fink@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi. I've been researching NTP for a presentation I'm planning to give at a meetup in a little over a month. I think I've gathered what I need to explain the mechanics of how NTP works. What I'm looking for now is practical analysis of its effectiveness. So far I've found Mills' "Accuracy and Stability" from 1990[1] and Minar's survey from 1999[2]. Has there been a more recent survey?
>>
>> [1] http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=86591
>> [2] http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~nelson/research/ntp-survey99/
>
> There is a survey from David Malone concerning the leap second behavior
> of public NTP servers, which also includes identification of such
> servers. Maybe this is a little bit helpful:
> http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/p/tma2016.pdf

How about Mill's book? I donot have it here, but does it not also do a
stability analysis?
It is not clear what you want a survey of?
You might want to also look at the very different clock disciplining
model of approaches like chrony. All use the same packet exchange
protocol of ntpd, but use very different ways of extracting the data
from those those packets in actually disciplining the clocks on the
computer itself.
0
William
8/29/2016 1:01:40 PM
On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 1:50:09 AM UTC-7, Martin Burnicki wrote:
> There is a survey from David Malone concerning the leap second behavior
> of public NTP servers, which also includes identification of such
> servers. Maybe this is a little bit helpful:
> http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/p/tma2016.pdf

Thanks, Martin! This looks like great information, and it also references additional articles along the same lines.

-Bryan
0
bryan
8/29/2016 4:59:45 PM
bryan.fink@gmail.com writes:

>On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 1:50:09 AM UTC-7, Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> There is a survey from David Malone concerning the leap second behavior
>> of public NTP servers, which also includes identification of such
>> servers. Maybe this is a little bit helpful:
>> http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/p/tma2016.pdf

>Thanks, Martin! This looks like great information, and it also
>references additional articles along the same lines.

It seems that I actually missed two other articles from the last year:

	https://opus.lib.uts.edu.au/bitstream/10453/43923/1/LeapSecond_camera.pdf
	http://crin.eng.uts.edu.au/~darryl/Publications/Stratum1Check_camera.pdf

If you find anything else that I missed, please let me know!

	David.
0
David