Local time and NTP server time

Hello

when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time?

thx
0
melanie_pfefer

Melanie Pfefer <melanie_pfefer@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello
>
> when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time?

It doesn't as ntp always uses UTC.

Conversion to local time is up to the system.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
0
jimp
11/13/2008 2:15:01 AM
Melanie Pfefer wrote:
> Hello
>
> when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time?
>
> thx

NTP uses UTC, once called Greenwich Mean Time, ONLY.  Your computer will
display the time using whatever time zone you select.

The Unix operating system allows you to display either UTC or your local
time using the "date" command.  date -u displays UTC.
0
Richard
11/13/2008 4:48:24 AM
melanie_pfefer@yahoo.co.uk (Melanie Pfefer) writes:

>Hello

>when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time?

It does not. ntp operates on UTC (Universal Time coordinate) which is the
same around the world. If it is 3:15PM UTC in Vancouver it is 3:15UTc in
Berlin, and in Seoul, and at the South Pole.

>thx
0
Unruh
11/13/2008 5:09:20 AM
Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> NTP uses UTC, once called Greenwich Mean Time, ONLY.  Your computer will
> display the time using whatever time zone you select.

UT1, not UTC, was once called GMT.  Nowadays, GMT is the popular name
for UTC.
0
David