M$Windows and ntp (and other time protocols)

Looking for timeserv to sync a M$nt4 machine, I found this doucment at
MicroSoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/docs/wintimeserv.doc. It nicely
states (official?) details about M$Windows and time sync.

Is there a faq or such where this pointer / information can be added?

CBee

0
CBee

CBee wrote:
> Looking for timeserv to sync a M$nt4 machine, I found this doucment at
> MicroSoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/docs/wintimeserv.doc.
> It nicely states (official?) details about M$Windows and time sync.
>
> Is there a faq or such where this pointer / information can be added?
>

> CBee

Yes, it would be useful to have a pointer to this document.  However,
people should be aware that the Win32Time service is not the only
timekeeping software available, and that it does not work as well as nor
conform to the NTP standards as well as the Windows ports of the public
NTP software:

  http://www.ntp.org/links.html

Cheers,
David

0
David

Network Time Protocol (NTP) for NonStop
Has anyone used ntp on NonStop? HP has ported this for the OSS target. I know Bowden systems sells NSK-NTP, but I am wondering if anyone has used the open-source version. Thanks in advance. NonStopForEver wrote: > Has anyone used ntp on NonStop? HP has ported this for the OSS target. > I know Bowden systems sells NSK-NTP, but I am wondering if anyone has > used the open-source version. > > Thanks in advance. We use a product written by a german guy. It only acts as a client but does the job. If you wany some details then PM me. Hi Mark. Is this the C code that gets the time from a NIST server and then uses the SETSYSTEMCLOCK procedure? ...

NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres
Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. Officialy NTP is not compatible with Ingres. Thanks. Bruno. At 11:34 AM 7/18/2003 +0200, Bruno Wipier wrote: >Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. Officialy NTP is not >compatible with Ingres. > >Thanks. > >Bruno. Bruno, I guess I'm a bit flustered. Is there some list of UNIX utilities that are or are not "compatible" with Ingres? NTP merely keeps your clock in sync, usually within milliseconds of the 'master'. Is Ingres not compatible with the correct time? ;-) Or are you running Ingres 6.4 and you are manually dealing with Day Light Savings Time? In that case, you might be fudging with the system clock and/or time zone. I wouldn't run NTP in that case, unless you learn to configure it to your rules. By the way, DLST is evil. Where, pray tell, is this "official" non-compatibility posted? Cheers, Michael Leo mleo@cariboulake.com Java, J2EE, .NET Caribou Lake Software http://www.cariboulake.com Oracle, Ingres, So much style without substance, so much stuff without style. It's hard to recognize the real thing. It comes along once in a while. - Grand Designs, Power Windows, Rush ...

LAN and a local NTP server (time protocol)
Is there a way to have a group of networked computers access one of the computers in the LAN to synchronize their time? I don't want these computers to have internet access, but I would like them all to be set to the same time (even if it isn't exactly the same as the atomic clock at the Naval Observatory). Can I set up one computer to be an NTP server and the others access it for setting each computers time? I'm currently using OSX jaguar. I used to have a client-server database that would set the time on each client as it accessed the database. However with OSX only the root...

Re: [ntp:questions] Windows Time Service not working
----- Original Message Follows ----- > We have a Win2k server controlling an Active Directory domain who's > time seems to drift 10-15 minutes too fast a day. > > No matter what NTP server i set it to by: > > net time /setsntp:time.windows.com etc > > then stop and start the server: > > net stop w32time > net start w32time > > It just doesn't seem to synchronise and get the time back on track. > > I don't think its the hardware firewall blocking the ports because a > WinXP computer here that hasn't joined the domain is able...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #5
> From: Ingres, yeah baby!! [mailto:Use-Author-Address-Header@[127.1]] > Paul Mason wrote: > > Why is it that a cheap digital watch can keep time better than > > an expensive computer? > > Well, a cheap digital watch does not have so much to think > about! (You've just reminded me of Mr. Prosser, for some > reason ( <http://tinyurl.com/hkde> ) ). Still, the basic > principle is the same - oscillator frequency variation > will make some difference. There may be some issue with > lost clock interrupts, AFAIR. Each clock interrupt causes > the kernel to increment the time (by 10 milli- seconds, > 1/100 second?), so a higher priority interrupt causing a > missed clock interrupt would result in time slippage. > This is all a long time ago, and I can't remember whether > that is for an old mainframe, or a Sun system. It probably > doesn't matter, anyway - my 1st. Law of Computing - "all > computers are the same computer". Oh, I think temperature > has some issue on clock speed, too. This *is* irritating, > I may have to go and look it up! > Can't we just do something like hook up a cheap digital watch to motherboard so it has it's own internal 'time-server' that it can sync against periodically. Then all you'd need is the equivalent of ntpdate in firmware, set to run regularly enough so it never has to 'step' the time, give it a fr...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #2
> At 11:34 AM 7/18/2003 +0200, Bruno Wipier wrote: > >Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. > Officialy NTP is not > >compatible with Ingres. > > > >Thanks. > > > >Bruno. > > Bruno, > > I guess I'm a bit flustered. Is there some list of > UNIX utilities that are or are not "compatible" with > Ingres? > > NTP merely keeps your clock in sync, usually within > milliseconds of the 'master'. > > Is Ingres not compatible with the correct time? ;-) We don't support changing the system clock whilst ingres is running, especially if it goes backwards. It will affect timestamps on journal records as well as any user data created with date('now') etc. From the man page of ntpdate, if the time is out of sync by < 0.5 sec then it will adjust it by calling adjtime, which doesn't actually change the clock it merely speeds it up or slows it down slightly until the time is back in sync. This method should be ok because it means that the time is always increasing as it should. If the difference is > 0.5 sec then it will set the time by calling settimeofday. This should be avoided while ingres is running, and if the time is set backwards then ingres should really be kept down long enough for the new clock time to overtake the old. The point about 6.4 and DST is a good one. HTH Paul Mason At 04:37 PM 7/18/2003 +010...

Re: [ntp:questions] Re: How application get precise time from Win NT/XP system time that synchronies to NTP
----- Original Message Follows ----- > Martin, > > If my application polls the system time once every tick, i.e. 10 > millisecond, can I get nanosecond resolution and accuracy that NTP can > provide? > The simple answer is no way. The more complicated answer is that you would need an real atomic clock directly connected on a machine running a realtime O/S with absolutely no other processes that the absolute essential ones. Windows wouldn't even be in the picture here, it's not designed for what you are asking. What exactly are you trying to do and why? A little ex...

Network time protocol (NTP) client configuration help needed urgently
Hi, I want to configure my redhat linux 8 machines for Network time protocol(NTP) clients and my NTP server will be in solaris 8 machine.How to configure NTP client in redhat linux 8.Please help me in this.I am in need of urgent. Thanks in advance Regards In article <9b27068c.0306262214.1470f0f9@posting.google.com>, sridhar wrote: > Hi, > > I want to configure my redhat linux 8 machines for Network time > protocol(NTP) clients and my NTP server will be in solaris 8 > machine.How to configure NTP client in redhat linux 8.Please help me > in this.I am in need of urgent. man ntpd Should have everything you need to know. -- Seth H Holmes ...

Fwd: [ntpwg] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [ntpwg] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:58:03 -0700 (PDT) From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org To: ietf-announce@ietf.org, rfc-dist@rfc-editor.org CC: ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5908 Title: Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Author: R. Gayraud, B. Lourdelet Status: Standards Track Stream: IETF Date: June 2010 Mailbox: richard.gayraud@free.fr, blourdel@cisco.com Pages: 9 Characters: 17452 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-ietf-ntp-dhcpv6-ntp-opt-06.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5908.txt The NTP Server Option for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) provides NTPv4 (Network Time Protocol version 4) server location information to DHCPv6 hosts. [STANDARDS TRACK] This document is a product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of the IETF. This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol. STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions for improvements. Please refer to the current edition of the Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the stand...

what happens if ntp server jumps time BIG TIME
Hi, Scenario: - I'm in control of a NTP server and can change the time on this server as I please (this server is "sync'ed to the hw-clock) - I have a client that is sync'ed with the server above (and only that server) What happens if I change the time on the server, lets say 5 years forward? Will the client sync to the server? and If so, how? big leap? small steps? Will the flag "-g" affect how the client reacts to this changes? Yes, I do realise that this scenario is stupid in many ways. Only one server, big time changes on the server etc etc, and I do know how to fix ti, but this is the scenario that I need an answer to. Any input welcome! BR, Fredrik Hi-- On Feb 9, 2012, at 1:36 PM, bombjack wrote: > What happens if I change the time on the server, lets say 5 years > forward? Will the client sync to the server? and If so, how? big leap? > small steps? Will the flag "-g" affect how the client reacts to this > changes? Exactly. If the server reports a time that is further than the panic threshold from the client's clock (which defaults to 1000 seconds) then it will reject the server and exit. A human is then expected to manually inspect the situation and set the clock to something reasonably close. The -g flag lets you disable this sanity check. Regards, -- -Chuck On Feb 9, 2012, at 4:05 PM, Chris Albertson wrote: >> Exactly. If the server reports a time that is further than the panic threshold from th...

Uruguay NTP time error (Summer time error)
For time in Uruguay all servers are providing wrong time. This year in my country was canceled the switch to summer time. Any idea how to fix this or notify someone to update. This is the official web site of the presidency. The repeal of the old decree. http://archivo.presidencia.gub.uy/sci/decretos/2015/06/cons_min_201.pdf Thx for your help. Juan, Juan Ignacio Pazos wrote: > For time in Uruguay all servers are providing wrong time. > > This year in my country was canceled the switch to summer time. > > Any idea how to fix this or notify someone to...

Freeware for NTP time synchronization under Windows?
Hello people. I am looking for a freeware Windows program to synchronize PC' clock over the Internet, using the NTP (Network Time Protocol) protocol Q: Do you know of any good program for time synchronization using the NTP protocol? I'd like to synchronize time, say, once I day. []s -- Chaos Master�, posting from Brazil. "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." -- Kurt Cobain Evanescence: http://marreka.no-ip.com | Lies: http://tinyurl.com/46vru | /dev/null: http://renan182.no-ip.org Quoting Chaos Master [spammers.fuck@spam.com.INVALID], th...

Set time on Windows system from NTP
I'd like to set the time on a Windows 8.1 system from an NTP source, without any checking of the current offset. The systems have been configured to use an NTP server (on the local network) for time synchronization, and this works fine when the time is within the boundaries defined in the registry, but now I want to run a single-shot command to make sure the time is within bounds. The computers are not in a Windows Domain. When looking it up on internet, lots of sites suggest the solution: w32tm /resync However, that does not work. It is OK when the time is within bounds...

A ntp client is running ahead of time of our netowork ntp server.
Hi List I have an issue with a ntp client running Linux SuSE 9.3 Our Network ntp server is a Red Hat Linux Advanced Server release 2.1A. *I initialy had an* error regarding seeing* *"Bad file descriptor" errors in /var/log/ntp* *then made sure that only one instance of ntpd* *is running socklist command and ps -auxxx|egrep ntpd thus run * *kill -9 PID's and restart ntpd /etc/init.d/ntpd restart. This seemed to fix things and when I run date command volia I thought I fixed it So thus to test after weekend. * *Thus I have checked this morning using date command and I the ntp client is 20 minutes ahead of our network ntp server. Thus I have checked the /var/log/ntp lof file:: 15 Dec 10:39:14 ntpd[11875]: synchronized to LOCAL(0), stratum 10 15 Dec 10:40:22 ntpd[11875]: synchronized to 10.0.2.3, stratum 3 15 Dec 10:59:44 ntpd[11875]: kernel time sync disabled 0041 15 Dec 11:01:52 ntpd[11875]: kernel time sync enabled 0001 Thus doesn't look that I have an issue. Please advice and any suggestions welcomed. Cheers Chuck * * -- Chuck Amadi ROK Corporation Limited Ty ROK, Dyffryn Business Park, Llantwit Major Road, Llandow, Vale Of Glamorgan. CF71 7PY Tel: 01446 795 839 Fax: 01446 794 994 International Tel: +44 1446 795 839 email: chuck.amadi@rokcorp.com This email is confidential to the addressee only. If you do not believe that you are the intended recipient, do not pass it on or copy it in any way. Please delete it immediately. _______...

Re: [ntp:questions] Can NTP affect the time even when not running ?
> If you do try to run ntpd on a laptop and you don't lock the >processor to a given speed, you can anticipate all sorts of weird >problems, and ntpd may calculate strange correction values which may >be left over after you stop running it, and these values may then be >applied inappropriately to free-running mode. Would this mean that, for laptops with no processor frequency lock - most standard use I would assume -, your recommendation would be to rely on SNTP clients ? On 2004-11-24, Marchand Vincent <Vincent.Marchand@KONE.com> wrote: > Would this mean th...

RE: [ntp:questions] Re: Freeware for NTP time synchronization underWindows? #2
> Our lowest stratum ntp servers do several lookups for pool.ntp.org at=20 > startup. I sometimes find that they can only use one of the resulting IP=20 > addresses because the other is permanently stratum 16. What's going to happen when all computers ship configured to talk to pool.ntp.org? Won't this then comprise the majority of all ntp users? If the lookup doesn't return a working server and ntp doesn't repeat the lookup until it does, that's not going to work. If there's some agreement on this, then can we talk about what the criteria should be to redo the lookup? Just to get the ball rolling - 8 failed polls? --=20 Martin, BlueArc Engineering "Martin Dorey" <mdorey@bluearc.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.51.1098858324.72027.questions@lists.ntp.isc.org>... > > Our lowest stratum ntp servers do several lookups for pool.ntp.org at > > startup. I sometimes find that they can only use one of the resulting > IP > > addresses because the other is permanently stratum 16. > > What's going to happen when all computers ship configured to talk to > pool.ntp.org? Won't this then comprise the majority of all ntp users? > If the lookup doesn't return a working server and ntp doesn't repeat the > lookup until it does, that's not going to work. If there's some > agreement on this, then can we talk about what the criteria should be to > redo the looku...

How application get precise time from Win NT/XP system time that synchronies to NTP
Hi, My applications is to do time stamp that need 10 microsecond accuracy. Many PCs in network environment will need ssme precise time stamp. One way to do it is to install Trimble Acutime GPS for each PC. Because of cost consideration, I installed a Win NT NTP server that use Trimble Acutime GPS as reference clock and the rest of PCs synchronize to the server and I try to find a way to get precise time from NT/ XP system. I head NT/XP system time can only reach 10 millisecond resolution, if it is true? Or there is another way to do it. Thanks, Roger Roger Chou <rgr.chou@gmail.com> w...

Can we transmit FLV(flash live video) data on RTP(real-time trasport protocol) protocol.
I want to trasmit data using RTP protocol, now i have a question that is RTP support FLV contant. means can we trasmit FLV file data on a RTP protocol. i have read so many places that RTP protocol is support H.264 starndard .. but i have not any idea that is RTP protocol support FLV file format or not If any idea then help me... ...

Can we transmit FLV(flash live video) data on RTP(real-time trasport protocol) protocol
I want to trasmit data using RTP protocol, now i have a question that is RTP support FLV contant. means can we trasmit FLV file data on a RTP protocol. i have read so many places that RTP protocol is support H.264 starndard .. but i have not any idea that is RTP protocol support FLV file format or not If any idea then help me... kalpesh <kalpeshgedia@gmail.com> writes: > I want to trasmit data using RTP protocol, now i have a question that > is RTP support FLV contant. means can we trasmit FLV file data on a > RTP protocol. > > i have read so many pl...

Sow to sync system time to BIOS automatic after ntpd updated os time from remote ntp server?
Hi, all, I meet below problem on SUSE11 sp1 64bit with ntp4.2.4p6: 1. Set os date and bios date 7 minutes earlier than current date time; and wait ntpd to sync from remote ntp server to fix the time , after some minutes, both OS time and bios time fixed. 2. but when I try to test 30 minutes instead of 7minutes, only os time synced with upper level ntp server, the bios time still 30 minutes earlier than os time. hwclock can sync time to bios. Is there any option to control the "sync to bios" action? Or I need to set a cron job to run hwclock ? Thanks. -- Colin > > Is there any option to control the "sync to bios" action? > Or I need to set a cron job to run hwclock ? > I assume that you are using a machine that is a relative of the IBM PC/AT, and by BIOS clock, you mean the clock that used to be attached to the CMOS parameter RAM and was clocked at 32kHz? None in ntpd. If you use the kernel time discipline, Linux will do so in less than 11 minutes. Some people disapprove of this because it frustrates utilities that correct for clock drift when the processor is powered down. ...

time in milliseconds by calling time.time()
I am trying to measure some system response time by using the time.time () or time.clock() in my script. However, the numbers I get are in 10s of milliseconds. For example, 1248481670.34 #from time.time() 0.08 #from time.clock() That won't work for me, since the response time may be only a few milliseconds. My environment is Solaris 10 with Python 2.4.4 (#7, Feb 9 2007, 22:10:21). SunOS 5.10 Generic_137112-07 i86pc i386 i86pc The tricky thing is, if I run the python interpreter and import the time module, I can get a time floating number in better precision by cal...

M times M = M?
Suppose M is a finite state machine. Is the product of M times M always equal to M? Yes, because if L is the lanaguage of M then the question becomes "L intersect L = L?". But is there other ways to prove this? >Yes, because if L is the lanaguage of M then the question becomes "L >intersect L = L?". But is there other ways to prove this? I believe what you're looking for is the notion of isomorphism. You can try to map the states and transitions of M to those of MxM in such a way that the transitions between the mapped states are exactly the mappings of the transitions between their originals. -- Reinier ...

ntp linux daemon drift apart from Windows Net Time Server
Hi: I am trying to synchronize a linux (ntp version 4) box to an NT server (w32tm). I set up the registry keys of my second unit as follows: - The windows XP box is a server. - The windows XP box takes time from: Public reliable external source. (216.34.94.18, or time.windows.com). Now, when I run the ntpd in my linux box, the unit receives packets from the window box but it looks like the clock filter is rejecting the packet and it does not update the linux box. When running in ntpd -d, I get the following messages: peer 192.168.10.246 event 'event_reach' (0x84) status 'unreach...

RE: [ntp:questions] Re: Ntp-4.1.2: tinker step 0; always slew andkernel time discipline
Dave, Not running NTP is not an option. At least on one type of Sun systems we had this problem where a system clock would jump 2 seconds. After long efforts of talking to Sun support, this explanation was given by Sun. The system has 2 clocks: TOD (hardware) and the system clock (hardware/software combination).=20 If the 2 clocks drift to 2 seconds apart, the system clock is set to the time of the TOD.=20 Actually, according to my tests, this correction is done over span of 30 seconds at a rate of 70ms/s. This "jump" was freaking out one of our time sensitive applications. When the system clock is set by software (i.e. NTP), TOD is set too, so they are synced. So, if NTP is running, it adjusts the system clock relatively frequently, reseting both the system clock and TOD, so they never have=20 enough time to drift apart 2 seconds and NTP does not even need to react to the 2 second jump. The only reason we are considering the option of always slewing is because we had the problem where NTP itself=20 would introduce a jump, step the clock, because of perceived ofset greater than 128ms due asymmetric network delays. Our applications usually disconnect clients in this case and this is bad. To avoid this we have been thinking about forcing NTP to always slew. But it looks like this approach has drawbacks too. Regards, Sergey -----Original Message----- From: questions-bounces@lists.ntp.isc.org [mailto:questions-bounces@lists.ntp.isc.org] On Behalf Of David L. Mills ...

Web resources about - M$Windows and ntp (and other time protocols) - comp.protocols.time.ntp

Kompare - the only valuable diff for M$Windows
I used KDE and Linux for many years, and of course I was shocked when I had to switch to Windows in new office and I didn't found all those little ...