Motorola Oncore receivers and Leap Second bug

Motorola's announcement, dated 19-Jul-2003, at

  http://www.motorola.com/ies/GPS/docs_pdf/notification_oncore.pdf

says that Oncore VP,UT, GT, and M12 models will report the wrong calendar
date at 11/28/2003 00:00:00 UTC, instead reporting that the date is
11/29/2003 for that single second.

*My* inference is that this will only happen when the Oncore is reporting
UTC (as opposed to GPS) time, but I could be mistaken.

Tim.
0
shoppa
8/10/2003 8:36:29 PM
comp.protocols.time.ntp 4869 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Tim Shoppa wrote:
> Motorola's announcement, dated 19-Jul-2003, at
>
>   http://www.motorola.com/ies/GPS/docs_pdf/notification_oncore.pdf
>
> says that Oncore VP,UT, GT, and M12 models will report the wrong calendar
> date at 11/28/2003 00:00:00 UTC, instead reporting that the date is
> 11/29/2003 for that single second.
>
> *My* inference is that this will only happen when the Oncore is reporting
> UTC (as opposed to GPS) time, but I could be mistaken.

If it really only occurs for that single second, I'm not going to worry
about my server:

The 24 hour off time stamp will simply be discarded as obviously bogus,
and then a second later everything will be OK again, right?

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen@hda.hydro.com>

Terje

Time and time again (UTC leap seconds)
I just did a tiny NTP time read utility. NTP comes in UTC, which is in seconds since 1900 - OK, I did that. There are a number of years between 1972 and now which have been 1or 2 seconds longer - I found a table of them (in wikipedia) and did things accordingly. Only to discover that the time I reported so was 23 (or so) seconds behind the time the wintel system finds using the same server... I immediately tried things out without the additional UTC seconds (just stripped all +1 out of the source:-) and there is was - precise match. Now what do I do? Who is correct? I'll wait another 1...

Processing of Network Time Protocol sntpcTimeGet with "leap seconds"
Does anyone know off the top of their head.... Does Wind Rivers SNTP support only 64 bit counters as would be returned in RFC 1305 or does it also handle a "Date String" reponse of the type found in RFC 867 and then convert it to a 64 bit counter and return it via the sntpcTimeGet? If RFC 867 is supported, If a time like "8:59:60" (leap second added at a particularly bad moment)is recived from NTP server, will Wind Rivers is a valid time and convert it properly? Does WRS NTP code support (or need to support) the Leap Indicator bit "(01,10)" indicating existence...

Make NTP timestamps leap-second-neutral (like GPS time)
Proposal: --------- Currently, NTP timestamps are defined to represent UTC based on a sliding epoch such that UTC can be derived from seconds-since-epoch using simple Gregorian conversion (where each day has exactly 86400 seconds). I propose to redefine NTP to be tied to TAI (International Atomic Time) but referenced to 2000, so that: NTP(2000) = UTC(2000) = TAI-32 = GPS-13 and from now on: NTP = TAI-32 = GPS-13 This is a good time to propose such a change. There have been no leap seconds since July 1999. I wish I had done so sooner (this here is based on an internal memo I wr...

Oncore leap second bug at 11/29/2003 62:28:15
Sure enough, the Oncore 256 week leap second bug showed up as predicted by Motorola. It was a little different than we thought; this is how an Oncore VP GPS receiver reported time yesterday: 11/27/2003 23:59:58 11/27/2003 23:59:59 11/29/2003 62:28:15 11/28/2003 00:00:00 11/28/2003 00:00:01 If any of you saw NTP anomalies I'd be interested to hear about them. Presumably the invalid hour saved the day (the time stamp would be rejected). For details see: http://www.leapsecond.com/notes/leapsec256.htm /tvb http://www.LeapSecond.com Tom Van Baak wrote: > Sure enough, the Oncore 256 we...

leap second - 30th june 2015
Hi, I've been tasked with preparing our company servers for the leap second com= ing up at the end of June 2015. we've already been testing out our own leap= smear over a 6 hour period leading up to the the leap second (so our serve= rs gradually add time over a 6 hour period ending up at the correct time @ = midnight UTC). I've read about how Google handled the leap smear previously in June 2012 a= nd I've read they will be doing the same again this time round. My question= is, are the Google time servers going to implement the smear or are they g= oing to do wh...

Motorola M12+ Timing Oncore GPS Timing Module
Motorola Unveils Accurate GPS Timing Module to Offer Precision Timing Motorola's M12+ Timing Oncore Surpasses GPS Timing Industry Six Sigma Averages, Featuring Low Noise Performance of 2 NanoSeconds (2nS) FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich., July 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT), the inventor of the low-cost, high performance Global Positioning System (GPS) timing module announced today the availability of the M12+ Timing Oncore. The new GPS timing module surpasses industry Six Sigma averages in accuracy by utilizing the latest timing algorithms developed by Motorola. An independent report from the United States Naval Observatory documents the results of extensive tests performed on the M12+ Timing Oncore and is available at www.motorola.com/gps . Banks, cellular network operators and airports are a few examples of the businesses that rely on accurate GPS timing for a variety of applications. Accurate GPS timing provides a fundamental building block needed to coordinate data and information flow securely through various systems, on a daily basis. By tagging data packets with a time and date stamp, it's transmission time and hence integrity can be monitored. Motorola's M12+ Timing Oncore enables industries that rely on GPS disciplined timing to have increased confidence in the accuracy and stability of their application. The product can be used in a system to monitor the accuracy of a clock over a certain leng...

Leap second bug?
Hello everyone, ntpd kicked my clock forward one second on January 1 at 00:19:38 UTC. (My ntp.conf lists 12 servers. Delays range from 28 to 48 ms.) Dec 31 23:25:39 offset 0.000329 sec freq -6.715 ppm error 0.000333 poll 8 Dec 31 23:28:39 offset 0.000329 sec freq -6.715 ppm error 0.000340 poll 8 Dec 31 23:31:39 offset 0.000329 sec freq -6.715 ppm error 0.000424 poll 8 Dec 31 23:34:39 offset 0.000403 sec freq -6.714 ppm error 0.000493 poll 8 Dec 31 23:37:39 offset 0.000270 sec freq -6.714 ppm error 0.000348 poll 8 Dec 31 23:40:39 offset 0.000270 sec freq -6.714 ppm error 0.000337 poll 8 Dec ...

the leap second bug
From the «back in one» department: Title: No, the Linux leap second bug WON'T crash the web Author: Gavin Clarke Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 10:04:19 -0500 Link: http://go.theregister.com/feed/www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/09/leap_second_bug_linux_hysteria/ Fear the fear, not the second There’s a reason space missions don’t launch on the day a leap second is added to international clocks.… -- Posting to comp.misc, sci.misc, and misc.news.internet.discuss RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com>: > Fear the fear, not the second > > There’s a reason space mi...

NTP and leap seconds
Hi, I'm sure this has been asnwered before but couldn't find the FAQ. I've read the RFC and am still a bit confused. Do NTP time signals include leap seconds? I have a system running SNTP, do I need to add leap seconds to the system clock after updating it with the timestamp SNTP sent? Thanks in advance. Chris. CR wrote: > I'm sure this has been asnwered before but couldn't find the FAQ. I've > read the RFC and am still a bit confused. > > Do NTP time signals include leap seconds? There is a specific two bit field for signaling leap seconds in NTP...

How do I store 24 hours to check the letters in the mailbox just to send a SMS to the owner to remind him for the second time ( it means he did not receive SMS for the first time after the lette
I have an array of 2 x 3 Letterbox. I am building a GSM Modem to send SMS to remind the user to clear the letters in&nbsp;his letterbox if overflow. &nbsp; How do I&nbsp;find a way to calculate time (for&nbsp;the&nbsp;time period of 24 hours = 1 day) &nbsp;to store the day the letterbox first overflow, how to check ifit is already 24 hourse since it first overflow. Do I need to check the number of hours&nbsp;it haspassed since it first overflow continuously anot, how to reset the time&nbsp;information after theletterbox is cleared, etc. &nbsp; ...

NTP Leap Seconds Indicator
I have a question about the leap seconds indicator. Based on my understanding of ntp, and the html page on your site dealing with leap seconds, http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/leap.html, I have been telling my team that the leap second indicator was the only true arbiter of whether a mode 4 reply packet was in the leap second or the subsequent second. Therefore, we had to ensure that the value was cleared on the rising edge of the first second of the day following the insertion/deletion. So, we set up tests and I defined a control sample which was a linux box running stock ntp distribution, v4.2.4p3@1.1502-o. A little old but we haven't leapt in a while. The test setup involved a GPS simulator with a leap second scheduled which broadcast to one of our stratum 1 boxes. The stratum 1 was verified to be propagating the leap insertion bit. The control box was synchronized to the stratum 1 and propagating the leap insertion bit. Note that there was no autokey enabled. We noted that the control box did not clear the leap bit until the next poll update after the leap event. Do you believe this is the correct behavior? Is this behavior different for the latest dev tree code? Greg Dowd gdowd at symmetricom dot com (antispam format) Symmetricom, Inc. www.symmetricom.com "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstein Greg, Not true. The leap warning bit has to go away only before the end of the next day. Note the u...

Unix Time and Leap Seconds
I have Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. I was just reading up about UTC and leap seconds. Is it true on my system that the Unix time may skip up or down by one second at midnight when there is a leap second? By "Unix time" I mean the integer returned by time() and similar functions. I'm concerned about the "down" case. Some of the software I've written assumes monotonically-increasing time. Thanks. -- David T. Ashley (dta@e3ft.com) http://www.e3ft.com (Consulting Home Page) http://www.dtashley.com (Personal Home Page) http://gpl.e3ft.com...

Unix Time and Leap Seconds
I have Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. I was just reading up about UTC and leap seconds. Is it true on my system that the Unix time may skip up or down by one second at midnight when there is a leap second? By "Unix time" I mean the integer returned by time() and similar functions. I'm concerned about the "down" case. Some of the software I've written assumes monotonically-increasing time. Thanks. -- David T. Ashley (dta@e3ft.com) http://www.e3ft.com (Consulting Home Page) http://www.dtashley.com (Personal Home Page) http://gpl.e3ft.c...

Ignore leap second announcement on NTP
Hello, Is there any proper way to configure ntpd in order to ignore leap second announcements from remote NTP servers? I have tried configuring leapfile/ntpkey_leap features in order to use local configuration, but if the remote NTP server announces a leap second it's forwarded to the client, and that's what I want to avoid. Santi Saez On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:34 UTC, Santi Saez <santi@woop.es> wrote: > Is there any proper way to configure ntpd in order to ignore leap second > announcements from remote NTP servers? > > I have tried configuring l...

M$Windows and ntp (and other time protocols)
Looking for timeserv to sync a M$nt4 machine, I found this doucment at MicroSoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/docs/wintimeserv.doc. It nicely states (official?) details about M$Windows and time sync. Is there a faq or such where this pointer / information can be added? CBee CBee wrote: > Looking for timeserv to sync a M$nt4 machine, I found this doucment at > MicroSoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/docs/wintimeserv.doc. > It nicely states (official?) details about M$Windows and time sync. > > Is there a faq or such where this pointer / information can be...

NTP Leap Second on Windows XP
Others have reported large drift values. My driftfile has been steady around -70 for over a year, but as soon as the leap second approached, my values pegged at 500. They have been bouncing around since and today have climbed to -59 and still climbing slowly. See http://jerbaker.dhs.org/ntp/ As I understood, leap seconds means the time is adjusted instantly with one second. This has nothing to do with the drift file! Please see my responses on yesterday messages to see some graphs on FBSD and Win. As I observed until today, no Windows system changed the time correctly at 23:59:60UTC. Am ...

NTP and Leap Second testing (update)
NTP gurus (and especially Dave Hart who was kind enough to correspond previously) Have been doing (finally) some testing with the aid of VM systems. I took DH advice and used one at ntp 4.2.6 (not the most recent admittedly) as the server and the client based on our RHEL 4.3 + odd bits that has ntpd 4.2.0a@1.1190-r on it. I used the leap-seconds file from the usual place to "prime" the server and set the local date and time to 30 June 2012 2350 UTC on both systems. At this point NTP was off. Having enabled ntpd I watched the usual traffic and start up and was able to see the LI ...

Network Time Protocol (NTP) for NonStop
Has anyone used ntp on NonStop? HP has ported this for the OSS target. I know Bowden systems sells NSK-NTP, but I am wondering if anyone has used the open-source version. Thanks in advance. NonStopForEver wrote: > Has anyone used ntp on NonStop? HP has ported this for the OSS target. > I know Bowden systems sells NSK-NTP, but I am wondering if anyone has > used the open-source version. > > Thanks in advance. We use a product written by a german guy. It only acts as a client but does the job. If you wany some details then PM me. Hi Mark. Is this the C code that gets the time from a NIST server and then uses the SETSYSTEMCLOCK procedure? ...

NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres
Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. Officialy NTP is not compatible with Ingres. Thanks. Bruno. At 11:34 AM 7/18/2003 +0200, Bruno Wipier wrote: >Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. Officialy NTP is not >compatible with Ingres. > >Thanks. > >Bruno. Bruno, I guess I'm a bit flustered. Is there some list of UNIX utilities that are or are not "compatible" with Ingres? NTP merely keeps your clock in sync, usually within milliseconds of the 'master'. Is Ingres not compatible with the correct time? ;-) Or are you running Ingres 6.4 and you are manually dealing with Day Light Savings Time? In that case, you might be fudging with the system clock and/or time zone. I wouldn't run NTP in that case, unless you learn to configure it to your rules. By the way, DLST is evil. Where, pray tell, is this "official" non-compatibility posted? Cheers, Michael Leo mleo@cariboulake.com Java, J2EE, .NET Caribou Lake Software http://www.cariboulake.com Oracle, Ingres, So much style without substance, so much stuff without style. It's hard to recognize the real thing. It comes along once in a while. - Grand Designs, Power Windows, Rush ...

Working only the second time onwards bug
Hi, With gcc version 3.3.1 I was having a bug that caused my program to correctly work only the second iteration onwards. The bug turned out to be that I was doing a memcpy like this: unsigned char * destBuf = new unsigned char [BUF_SIZE]; // ... memcpy(destBuf, srcBuf, sizeof(destBuf )); Now I know that this is wrong, but somehow in the first iteration only 4 bytes (size of the pointer I guess) were getting copied whereas in subsequent iterations the correct number of bytes were getting copied. In other words, in the first iteration the sizeof(destBuf) evaluated to 4 wherea...

if time = 3 seconds, how do i set the values of the time steps 0,0.1,0.2,0.3,0.5,1.0,1.5,2.0,3.0,5.0 to -9999 from time =3 seconds
Hi &nbsp; I have 18 inputs (arrays) which contain certain statistics and if time&nbsp;&nbsp;= 3 seconds, set the values of time step 5.0 to -9999.0. &nbsp; I was wondering if there is an efficient way to do this without using a lot of case statements? &nbsp; Thank you. Hello AdrianT, it's not really clear to me what you want to do... I suspect: you have an array containing values and you want to output them with a fixed timing of 3 seconds: you should use a for loop autoindexing trough your array and sending the value to your indicator/output/whatever. Put a "wait for next multiple" into your for loop. Or do you want to have a minimum time delay of 3 seconds? Again use a for loop, get the time value and use a InRange&amp;Coerce with minimum set to 3 seconds... Or you should explain more precisely what you need... Hi Thanks for that. Let me explain. &nbsp; The time may vary. Let me give an example. if time&nbsp; = 2.1, I want to set the time step's &nbsp;3.0 and 5.0's values to -9999.0. if the time =0.1 seconds then I want to set 0.2,0.3, 0.5 etc values to -9999.0 etc .................................................................... &nbsp; Can you please help? Thank you. Hello TUDS, do you use different accounts/nicknames ? Well, that's easy, at least for a sorted array: Search for your time-value in the array (Threshold 1D array). Fill all elements from that index till the end with your "error...

ntp servers reporting leap second erroneously?
Recently I have noticed that a number of servers (on and off), and especially louie.udel.edu (all the time) are reporting a leap second. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. This is the first time in about the 10 years I have been playing with NTP that I have seen a problem like this pop up. Or is this not a problem but a change to NTP I missed? Rexr Rex, What makes you think this is a problem? The leap second display is entirely and with emphasis purposeful. There is in fact a leap second intended for the end of the year. The NTP servers will in fact show that indic...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres
Bruno, Our servers (HPUX10.20 OpenIngres 1.2) have been running NTP for years without a problem. (Currently version ntp-4.0.99j) Maybe we have been lucky. Richard > ---------- > From: Bruno Wipier[SMTP:bruno.wipier_nospam_@free.fr] > Sent: 18 July 2003 10:34 > To: info-ingres@ams.org > Subject: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres > > Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. Officialy NTP is > not > compatible with Ingres. > > Thanks. > > Bruno. > > > > ________________________________________________________________________ > This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The > service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive > anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: > http://www.star.net.uk > ________________________________________________________________________ > ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ...

LAN and a local NTP server (time protocol)
Is there a way to have a group of networked computers access one of the computers in the LAN to synchronize their time? I don't want these computers to have internet access, but I would like them all to be set to the same time (even if it isn't exactly the same as the atomic clock at the Naval Observatory). Can I set up one computer to be an NTP server and the others access it for setting each computers time? I'm currently using OSX jaguar. I used to have a client-server database that would set the time on each client as it accessed the database. However with OSX only the root...

Web resources about - Motorola Oncore receivers and Leap Second bug - comp.protocols.time.ntp

Receiver (firearms) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In firearms terminology, the receiver is the part of a firearm that houses the operating parts. There are many types and styles of firearm receivers. ...

Receiver (@GetReceiver) on Twitter

SidePad Receiver on the App Store on iTunes
Get SidePad Receiver on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Denon Receiver Web Server
My new receiver has an integrated HTTP server, which means I can control the stereo using my MacBook over wifi from the couch. This is exactly ...

Circuit fun: Automatic audio leveling circuit - audio compressor - for scanning receiver - YouTube
This video presents a simple automatic audio volume leveling circuit. The application that prompted this is a police/fire/emergency scanner. ...

St Louis Rams wide receiver Stedman Bailey shot in head in Miami
St Louis Rams wide receiver Stedman Bailey has been shot in the head in Miami, according to US reports.

Sage mining group stares down receivers
The Tony Sage-backed Kup­ang Resources has been granted an injunction over a $5.5m payment dispute. Receivers were appointed on Wednesday by ...

Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin's touchdown celebration censored
It was the most watched show in US television history, 114 million people tuned into the Super Bowl on Monday, but through divine intervention ...

Arcam rDAC Review - Radios and Receivers
The Arcam rDAC is a perfect accompaniment to a media streamer or PC, as it enables you to ditch the CD player and enjoy high-quality digital ...