ntp stratum 2 monitoring list

posted this on the NTP pool list, and thought some folks here might be inte=
rested too:

In setting up a couple new pool servers recently, I noted there were a lot =
of dead servers on the stratum two list at support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers=
/StratumTwoTimeServers
It was a bit time consuming, and frustrating, to try and find good servers =
(and I'm in the US, where there are plenty of servers). Lots of back and fo=
rth, testing them manually with ping and 'ntpdate -q'
I tried to contact the webmaster over there to see if they wanted assistanc=
e in cleaning up the list, and never got any responses, just a "hey, your e=
mail has been put in the moderation queue".

I imagine this becomes a frustration for many that are trying to contribute=
 to the pool, and so I wanted to do something about it. So I built this: ht=
tp://ntp.exactlywww.com/ntp/
It's primary purpose is to assist pool server operators in finding reliable=
 servers to configure their own ntpd. However, it has the side benefit of a=
llowing the stratum two folks to keep tabs on their servers. I've exposed t=
he data via a rudimentary API (details on the same page), which can be quer=
ied using whatever service/programming language floats your boat. In fact, =
with something like NodePing, you could configure a status check to ensure =
that the API response always says "up: 1".

At any rate, wanted to let folks know, hope it will be of use to some, and =
if Ask would like to put it on the setup instructions for new pool server o=
perators, that'd be pretty cool too.

Oh, one last note (I think I mention this on the page), but if you have a R=
estrictedAccess or ClosedAccess server and want it to be monitored and list=
ed on that page, let me know - http://www.shanebishop.net/contact-me/. Curr=
ently, only OpenAccess servers are listed there.
0
shanebishop

On 25/08/2016 06:00, shanebishop@gmail.com wrote:
> posted this on the NTP pool list, and thought some folks here might be interested too:
>
> In setting up a couple new pool servers recently, I noted there were a lot of dead servers on the stratum two list at support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumTwoTimeServers
> It was a bit time consuming, and frustrating, to try and find good servers (and I'm in the US, where there are plenty of servers). Lots of back and forth, testing them manually with ping and 'ntpdate -q'
> I tried to contact the webmaster over there to see if they wanted assistance in cleaning up the list, and never got any responses, just a "hey, your email has been put in the moderation queue".
>
> I imagine this becomes a frustration for many that are trying to contribute to the pool, and so I wanted to do something about it. So I built this: http://ntp.exactlywww.com/ntp/
> It's primary purpose is to assist pool server operators in finding reliable servers to configure their own ntpd. However, it has the side benefit of allowing the stratum two folks to keep tabs on their servers. I've exposed the data via a rudimentary API (details on the same page), which can be queried using whatever service/programming language floats your boat. In fact, with something like NodePing, you could configure a status check to ensure that the API response always says "up: 1".
>
> At any rate, wanted to let folks know, hope it will be of use to some, and if Ask would like to put it on the setup instructions for new pool server operators, that'd be pretty cool too.
>
> Oh, one last note (I think I mention this on the page), but if you have a RestrictedAccess or ClosedAccess server and want it to be monitored and listed on that page, let me know - http://www.shanebishop.net/contact-me/. Currently, only OpenAccess servers are listed there.

Thanks for a nice project, could have used this when I set up a site
before the pool existed, and I guess it is still relevant for setting
up stratum 3 pool servers.

Some suggested minor improvements:

1. For #1153, maybe the notify column should say yes (given the note in
the contact details).

2. For #1020, maybe the DNS column should say yes (given the note in the
contact details).

3. #1223 uses non-routable addresses so can only be accessed from within
the datacenter LAN, I guess this is not really OpenAccess.

4. Interesting to see that D.Mills own server (#1) is in a fail state.

5. Maybe use a different background color(pair) for entries that are OK
according to the data.

6. Consider using HTML/CS tricks to make the column headings stay on
screen when scrolling.

7. To reduce table width, shorten the "successes" and "failures"
headings to "OK" and "Fail".

Enjoy

Jakob
Jakob
8/25/2016 5:44:34 AM
On 25/08/2016 05:00, shanebishop@gmail.com wrote:
> posted this on the NTP pool list, and thought some folks here might be interested too:
[]

Shane, is that list still active?  I haven't received anything since
early July this year.  Did they carry out a purge of members or
something?  I can't get a password confirmation or create a new login.

--
Cheers,
David

David,

David Taylor wrote:
> On 25/08/2016 05:00, shanebishop@gmail.com wrote:
>> posted this on the NTP pool list, and thought some folks here might be
>> interested too:
> []
>
> Shane, is that list still active?  I haven't received anything since
> early July this year.  Did they carry out a purge of members or
> something?  I can't get a password confirmation or create a new login.

Yes, the list is still active. Some ntp.org servers had to be moved
recently, which caused some interruption of the related services.
However, as far as I can see all services are up and running again.

Have you seen the attached email from Harlan on hackers@, or don't you
receive emails from hackers@ neither?

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren
Bad Pyrmont
Germany

--------------090605070004000107030908

To: hackers@ntp.org
From: Harlan Stenn <stenn@ntp.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2016 04:33:35 +0000
Subject: [ntp:hackers] UDel machine move
Sender: "hackers" <hackers-bounces+martin.burnicki=burnicki.net@lists.ntp.org>

Folks,

UDel is demolishing the building where the NTP machines have  been
housed on campus, so the NTP machines were scheduled to be moved in
September.

Apparently September arrived yesterday, and UDel shut the machines down
and moved them out of their old nome.  Not sure when they'll be back up
again, but I've asked.

Similarly, ISC shut down their Hosted@ Programme in early July.  Virtual
images of those machines were installed at a new hosting provider, and
most services are up and running.  The hardware that was hosted at ISC
is being shipped to a new data center, and at this point we're expecting
these machines to be the basis for the build and protocol testing farm.

As soon as we get our internal network infrastructure fully implemented,
access to my time lab will be available as well, which includes some
PTP resources.

More soon.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn@ntp.org>
http://networktimefoundation.org  - be a member!

--------------090605070004000107030908--
0
Martin
8/29/2016 9:19:59 AM
Jakob Bohm wrote:
> 4. Interesting to see that D.Mills own server (#1) is in a fail state.

As far as I know Dave Mills has mostly retired from work, so eventually
the old NTP servers aren't maintained anymore, or have even been shut
down. See also the email from Harlan which I've attached to my reply to
David.

And yes, I agree that the list of servers on NTP's support wiki should
be updated, but I also understand that there's much work to do and only
few guys are trying to keep up with the work.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren
Bad Pyrmont
Germany
0
Martin
8/29/2016 9:46:40 AM
On 29/08/2016 10:19, Martin Burnicki wrote:
> David,
>
> David Taylor wrote:
>> On 25/08/2016 05:00, shanebishop@gmail.com wrote:
>>> posted this on the NTP pool list, and thought some folks here might be
>>> interested too:
>> []
>>
>> Shane, is that list still active?  I haven't received anything since
>> early July this year.  Did they carry out a purge of members or
>> something?  I can't get a password confirmation or create a new login.
>
> Yes, the list is still active. Some ntp.org servers had to be moved
> recently, which caused some interruption of the related services.
> However, as far as I can see all services are up and running again.
>
> Have you seen the attached email from Harlan on hackers@, or don't you
> receive emails from hackers@ neither?
>
> Martin

Thanks, Martin

On checking my latest e-mails are:

hackers@lists.ntp.org 20-Jun-2016
pool@lists.ntp.org 06-Jul-2016

I don't know what's happened, as I don't recall unsubscribing from the
lists, but checking I see I didn't get the usual list reminder on 1-Aug.
  I've checked and I am definitely a member of the hackers mailing list,
but I can't seem to log into the pool mailing list (and the reminder
from 01-July lists a different password for it).

I've just tried joining the pool list again and my request has been
accepted, but I've heard nothing back.

I can't explain the lack of e-mails from hackers, but it looks like
someone removed me from the pool list, without my permission.

--
Cheers,
David

I've forwarded your problem to the listmaster.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren
Bad Pyrmont
Germany
0
Martin
8/30/2016 2:40:36 PM
On 30/08/2016 15:40, Martin Burnicki wrote:
> David,
>
> I've forwarded your problem to the listmaster.
>
> Martin

Thanks, Martin.  I hope it doesn't turn out to be my wretched ISP's
e-mail server!  (Yes, I do check the SPAM directory).

--
Cheers,
David
On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 3:40:22 AM UTC-7, David Taylor wrote:

> On checking my latest e-mails are:
>
> hackers@lists.ntp.org 20-Jun-2016
> pool@lists.ntp.org 06-Jul-2016
>
> I don't know what's happened, as I don't recall unsubscribing from the
> lists, but checking I see I didn't get the usual list reminder on 1-Aug.

The list server had some misconfiguration for a while so many subscribers rejected the emails (and got unsubscribed).

Ask
0
UTF
9/4/2016 10:06:20 PM
On 04/09/2016 23:06, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 3:40:22 AM UTC-7, David Taylor wrote:
>

>> On checking my latest e-mails are:
>>
>> hackers@lists.ntp.org 20-Jun-2016
>> pool@lists.ntp.org 06-Jul-2016
>>
>> I don't know what's happened, as I don't recall unsubscribing from the
>> lists, but checking I see I didn't get the usual list reminder on 1-Aug.
>
> The list server had some misconfiguration for a while so many subscribers rejected the emails (and got unsubscribed).
>

> Ask

Thanks, Ask.  I've just checked and I am now subscribed to both (I had
to rejoin hackers), but I haven't received any messages from them in
September.  Perhaps if so many subscribers were unsubscribed that isn't
surprising.  There are no Archives for September, either.

--
Cheers,
David