Re: [ntp:questions] Re: WWV audio driver, FreeBSD, Can't seem to get it going

Roger, if you can file a bug report with bugzilla and attach
your changes we can ask Dave to look at it and integrate it with
the code base. It sounds like you did an excellent job of
fixing things.

Danny

----- Original Message Follows -----
> Hi all.
>
> I haven't done an update in a week or two, so thought I would update
> everyone on whats going on.
>
> I bought an SB card, but the snd_driver load didn't even see it, so
> I put the 'white box' special back in.  After restarting, I saw lots
> more action.  Started getting wwv3 and 4 messages, but it still would
> not quite get happy.  After an hour or so, it even lost minute sync
> and did a full restart.  Never again did it get any better.
>
> On a hunch, opening up the case and voila.  Hot.  Bad fan.
> I replace (er, kludge) some fans.  Things get better, for a while,
> and even set the clock once, before getting unhappy.  Even days of
> running with s9+ WWV signals would not fully sync.
>
> So, I start wrapping my head around the refclock_wwv driver.
> (Actually it
> was more like it was wrapping itself around _my_ head, but I digress.
> At least I started understanding the sequence of the debug messages,
> and
> what to watch for.  I even added one myself to watch the watchcat
> variable.
>
> The WWV docs say the 100Hz 1bps data is at 50% modulation.  This does
> not correspond to the source code, so I changed the value of DGAIN
> from 10 to 2.  I varified the levels with a scope.  It is 50% of the
> tick levels.
>
> Seems better, but still not there yet.
>
> Today, in frustration, I find another scrapbin audio card.  Another
> one that
> that the snd_driver load wouldn't find. :(
>
> So, I put the semi-working on back in, rebooted, and I'll be damned.
> It progressed non-stop from Minute sync (took 2 minutes) directly to
> second sync.  3 minutes later it had all the digits.  After it had
> seen all the digits with high certainty, it set the clock and stayed
> there. Total elapsed time about 20 minutes.  It then proceeded to ramp
> up the audio clock freq updates to 1024 and is happy as a lark!!
>
> I'm writing this some 5 or 6 hours after the lock.  I'm still seeing
> clockstat output like:
>
> 53528 14520.008 127.127.36.0  0 2005 158 04:02:00  D -6 0 127 WV15 21
> 53528 14522.016 127.127.36.0 wwv5 001f 175 4924 3207/34.4 5678/18.2
> WV15 fe91 37 3514/40.0 WH15 0002 19 1895/33.3
>
> Which is very good.  It is starting to take some data hits though.
>
> It is starting to fall off compared to a few hours ago.  This is
> expected.
> Propagation on 15 Mhz is starting to drop off to CO.  10 would be
> better.
> The Traconex receiver is not very agressive at checking better freqs.
> It
> has to really get weak.
>
> Anyway, I'd like to tune the fudgetime value now to match the GPSs,
> but it probably won't relock.  Wish I knew what made it do it today.
>
>           Roger

0
mayer

Danny, et al,

There is a good deal of electrical engineering theory and practice in
the WWV/H and CHU and IRIG audio drivers. In fact, I use those drivers
as examples of optimum demodulation/decoding in my course on
digital/analog communications engineering. I have no problem should
somebody send a bug report to bugzilla, but the only person to fix
problems with the audio drivers will be me. As I don't read bugzilla
reports directly, the best course is to send reports about the audio
drivers directly to me and, in particular, to this newsgroup.

Dave

mayer wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>I'm writing this some 5 or 6 hours after the lock.  I'm still seeing
>>clockstat output like:
>>
>>53528 14520.008 127.127.36.0  0 2005 158 04:02:00  D -6 0 127 WV15 21
>>53528 14522.016 127.127.36.0 wwv5 001f 175 4924 3207/34.4 5678/18.2
>>WV15 fe91 37 3514/40.0 WH15 0002 19 1895/33.3
>>
>>Which is very good.  It is starting to take some data hits though.
>>
>>It is starting to fall off compared to a few hours ago.  This is
>>expected.
>>Propagation on 15 Mhz is starting to drop off to CO.  10 would be
>>better.
>>The Traconex receiver is not very agressive at checking better freqs.
>>It
>>has to really get weak.
>>
>>Anyway, I'd like to tune the fudgetime value now to match the GPSs,
>>but it probably won't relock.  Wish I knew what made it do it today.

0
David
6/7/2005 6:18:18 PM
Folks,

Dave sez:

 I have no problem should somebody send a bug report to bugzilla, but the
 only person to fix problems with the audio drivers will be me. As I don't
 read bugzilla reports directly, the best course is to send reports about
 the audio drivers directly to me and, in particular, to this newsgroup.

This is suboptimal IMO.

Folks should not need to worry about a list of choices on where to
report a bug.

When a bugzilla issue is opened for something that Dave maintains, I
forward the initial report to Dave and add Dave as a Cc: to that bug
report.

The net result is that Dave gets plain text email of bug reports and
we have a single place where folks can report bugs.  We also have a
convenient history of email relating to the issue.

But this is just my opinion...

Harlan
6/8/2005 4:13:27 AM
Folks,

There is no protocol issue here, none whatsoever. If you think there is
something I need to fix, send to me directly and copy the bugzilla. I
have no agenda here, just fixing what might be broken.

Dave

Stenn wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Dave sez:
>
>  I have no problem should somebody send a bug report to bugzilla, but the
>  only person to fix problems with the audio drivers will be me. As I don't
>  read bugzilla reports directly, the best course is to send reports about
>  the audio drivers directly to me and, in particular, to this newsgroup.
>
> This is suboptimal IMO.
>
> Folks should not need to worry about a list of choices on where to
> report a bug.
>
> When a bugzilla issue is opened for something that Dave maintains, I
> forward the initial report to Dave and add Dave as a Cc: to that bug
> report.
>
> The net result is that Dave gets plain text email of bug reports and
> we have a single place where folks can report bugs.  We also have a
> convenient history of email relating to the issue.
>
> But this is just my opinion...

David
6/8/2005 5:50:51 AM
Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Dave sez:
>
>  I have no problem should somebody send a bug report to bugzilla, but the
>  only person to fix problems with the audio drivers will be me. As I don't
>  read bugzilla reports directly, the best course is to send reports about
>  the audio drivers directly to me and, in particular, to this newsgroup.
>
> This is suboptimal IMO.
>
> Folks should not need to worry about a list of choices on where to
> report a bug.
>
> When a bugzilla issue is opened for something that Dave maintains, I
> forward the initial report to Dave and add Dave as a Cc: to that bug
> report.
>
> The net result is that Dave gets plain text email of bug reports and
> we have a single place where folks can report bugs.  We also have a
> convenient history of email relating to the issue.
>
> But this is just my opinion...

David
6/8/2005 5:52:06 AM
Dave,

I guess this is another place where you and I disagree.

Harlan
6/8/2005 7:06:16 AM
Harlan,

We do indeed seriously disagree. Parameter and algorithmic refinement
and optimization is very definitely not a bug issue. There are different
technical skills, interests and engineering principles involved.
However, if as the result of such activity, what code changes that might
be required might well take the form of a bug submission.

Dave

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I guess this is another place where you and I disagree.

David
6/8/2005 11:26:19 PM
Dave,

Would you feel better if the product was called "issuezilla"?

bugzilla is simply a cute name.  It is used to track Stuff.  Stuff is
commonly bugs, and it is also enhancements and other items.

I am more interested in what it does than what it is called.

Harlan
6/9/2005 5:42:55 AM
Harlan,

I have no issue whatsoever about what bugzilla is called or how it is
used. Stop trying to manage or regiment me. I find it stifling. Let
discussion and development flourish in a traditional open
academic/research environment. I will not participate in managed or
closed disquisition groups. I prefer to interact with other interested
folks in a collaborative, open and unconstrained society.

Dave

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Would you feel better if the product was called "issuezilla"?
>
> bugzilla is simply a cute name.  It is used to track Stuff.  Stuff is
> commonly bugs, and it is also enhancements and other items.
>
> I am more interested in what it does than what it is called.

David
6/9/2005 2:07:08 PM
Dave,

Sometimes I really worry about you.