Registering a new reference clock driver to NTP4

Hello,

I couldn't find any documents clarifying the process to apply for a new ref=
erence clock driver.=20

Here in our projects, we use a custom time card (reference clock) for time =
synchronization among multiple network peers. We developed a software which=
 reads the time from the device and adjusts the operating system time. Now =
we want to replace our software with NTP4 and want to register this time ca=
rd to NTP world and contribute any header/source files so that we can use s=
tandard NTP distributions.=20

How can we reserve a reference clock ID defined in .include/ntp.h file? Whe=
n I downloaded the NTP source code it says "If you want to add a new refclo=
ck let us know and we'll assign you a number." in the README.refclocks file=
.. But no contact is given.

Thank you.
0
Erdem

Erdem Ersagun wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I couldn't find any documents clarifying the process to apply for a
> new reference clock driver.
>
> Here in our projects, we use a custom time card (reference clock) for
> time synchronization among multiple network peers. We developed a
> software which reads the time from the device and adjusts the
> operating system time. Now we want to replace our software with NTP4
> and want to register this time card to NTP world and contribute any
> header/source files so that we can use standard NTP distributions.
>
> How can we reserve a reference clock ID defined in .include/ntp.h
> file? When I downloaded the NTP source code it says "If you want to
> add a new refclock let us know and we'll assign you a number." in the
> README.refclocks file. But no contact is given.

By far the easiest method to interface with a new clock is to write a
SHM (Shared Memory) driver for it!

There are multiple examples of people who have already done this, a
little bit of googling should find them for you.

Good Luck!

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>
Terje
On 2016-11-28, Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen@tmsw.no> wrote:
> Erdem Ersagun wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I couldn't find any documents clarifying the process to apply for a
>> new reference clock driver.
>>
>> Here in our projects, we use a custom time card (reference clock) for
>> time synchronization among multiple network peers. We developed a
>> software which reads the time from the device and adjusts the
>> operating system time. Now we want to replace our software with NTP4
>> and want to register this time card to NTP world and contribute any
>> header/source files so that we can use standard NTP distributions.
>>
>> How can we reserve a reference clock ID defined in .include/ntp.h
>> file? When I downloaded the NTP source code it says "If you want to
>> add a new refclock let us know and we'll assign you a number." in the
>> README.refclocks file. But no contact is given.
>
> By far the easiest method to interface with a new clock is to write a
> SHM (Shared Memory) driver for it!

And that has the advantage that it does not need a new driver number or
reference number. It just uses the shm driver in ntp.

> There are multiple examples of people who have already done this, a
> little bit of googling should find them for you.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Terje

0
William