Time limit for NTP to do timing correction??

It is said that there is a limit of the time difference that NTP would
correct the timing between the server and client. That is, if the time
difference is more than the limit, NTP would just stop its service and
quit without doing any time correction. Any one knows what is this
limit for NTP Release 4 (for Microsoft Windows NT) ? And, how to
change this limit? Cheers :>
0
Crystaldcuk

Crystal wrote:
> It is said that there is a limit of the time difference that NTP would
> correct the timing between the server and client. That is, if the time
> difference is more than the limit, NTP would just stop its service and
> quit without doing any time correction. Any one knows what is this
> limit for NTP Release 4 (for Microsoft Windows NT) ? And, how to
> change this limit? Cheers :>

An offset of greater 1000 seconds is one limit.

A clock error of greater than 500 ppm (parts per million) is another
limit.

I believe that with too great an offset NTP won't start, and with too
great an error NTP won't work as intended (it may give step changes in the
clock, I'm not sure).

I believe the 500ppm limit is hard coded.  If you are seeing the 1000
second limit, perhaps you do not have your computer time zone correctly
set?  NTP works in UTC, as does the internal clock in Windows NT.  The
Time Zone offset affects how the clock is displayed to the users.  The
BIOS clock works in local time!

I hope some of this helps.

Cheers,
David