Traceability

Hi,

Can GLONASS receivers be calibrated so that their time can be considered to be legally traceable back to UTC?

If this is indeed possible, pointers to documentation from sources such as BIPM, NIST or the like would be great.

Thanks,
Ed
0
edstuart

Le mardi 9 ao=C3=BBt 2016 05:02:59 UTC+2, edst...@gmail.com a =C3=A9crit=C2=
=A0:
> Hi,
>=20
> Can GLONASS receivers be calibrated so that their time can be considered =
to be legally traceable back to UTC?
>=20
> If this is indeed possible, pointers to documentation from sources such a=
s BIPM, NIST or the like would be great.
>=20
> Thanks,
> Ed

As far as I know, Glonass diffuse UTC time like GPS. I read that somewhere =
searching about leap-second future and technical problems.
Best,
Jean-Michel
0
girino66
8/10/2016 5:36:31 AM
On 09/08/2016 05:02, edstuart@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can GLONASS receivers be calibrated so that their time can be considered to be legally traceable back to UTC?
>
> If this is indeed possible, pointers to documentation from sources such as BIPM, NIST or the like would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

There may be some information published by the Russian authorities
responsible for GLONASS and/or standards, specifying the degree to
which GLONASS time signals are legally traceable to IAT and/or UTC.

Such traceability would probably be to some Russian standards
reference, which is in turn traceable to BIPM and/or EIRS in France.

I don't have any relevant URLs, sorry.

Enjoy

Jakob
Jakob
8/10/2016 4:48:24 PM
On Monday, August 8, 2016 at 8:02:59 PM UTC-7, edst...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can GLONASS receivers be calibrated so that their time can be considered to be legally traceable back to UTC?
>
> If this is indeed possible, pointers to documentation from sources such as BIPM, NIST or the like would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

FYI.  I received the below response via email that is pertinent:

>> Hello,
>>     The short answer to your question is that it depends on which
>> country you need legal traceability and what accuracy you require.
>> There are some technical issues in calibrating GLONASS systems
>> because the calibration constant may vary from one satellite to
>> another depending on which receiver you are using. The GLONASS
>> satellite orbits are also expressed in a different reference frame
>> from the GPS system. The bottom line here is that you usually cannot
>> combine the data from the two systems at the nano-second >> level.
>> This may or may not be important to you.
>>
>>      GLONASS system time is traceable to UTC through UTC(SU), the time
>> scale of the Russian federation. This link would be recognized from
>> a technical perspective, but I don't know the legal perspective. Legal
>> traceability is somewhat vague because there have not been many
>> situations about this up until now.
>>
>>     I can give more detailed advice if you tell me a bit more about your >> >> plan and its requirements.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Judah Levine
>> Time and Frequency Division
>> NIST Boulder