what does the "+" and the "-" mean?

I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of
course, a friend has just
asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results.
Anyone know?

TIA!

0
roscoe
12/12/2005 6:25:51 AM
comp.publish.cdrom.software 1610 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

..           --------------------------------------
               Mike Richter, were you born with
            "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
            --------------------------------------

roscoe james wrote:

> I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of
> course, a friend has just
> asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results.
> Anyone know?

http://www.dvd-supply.com/whisdvdvdvan.html
http://www.proactionmedia.com/dvd_media_formats.htm
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd.htm
'

                     Who Is Mike Richter and
     Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?
                     http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

 (No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the following is)
 (  a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !!  )

Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

What an Asshole
0
smh
12/12/2005 6:59:08 AM
roscoe james wrote:
> I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of
> course, a friend has just
> asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results.
> Anyone know?
>
> TIA!

There are no + and - designations for compact discs.

For DVDs, where the forms +R, -R, +RW and -RW apply, the 'polarity' is a
difference of little importance in practice. They are two different
flavors and one must use hardware and in a few cases software which
handles the appropriate type. Neither is better than the other.

There are only a few differences that matter at all:

At this time, dual-layer is available only in + versions.

DVD-Video compatibility can be a problem. If it is, +R is more likely to
work in Europe, -R in the U.S. and Japan. I haven't sent enough discs to
other parts of the world (perhaps a dozen) to know about Asia,
Australia, etc.

There's a bit on DVD+R which should be set for maximum compatibility if
you are writing DVD-ROM.

Of course, there are some devices which demand only one of the two types
(e.g., cameras recording directly to DVD, standalone DVD recorders).

There may be other obscure issues, but the word you need is that they
are different without any reason but corporate history. A group of
mostly Japanese companies promoted -R; a group headed by Philips backed
+R. Their legacy is two systems where there should be one.

Mike
--
mrichter@cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/
               Mike Richter, were you born with
            "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
            --------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin Shit) crapped:

> At this time, dual-layer is available only in + versions.

Ritek Ridata DVD-R 8.5GB 4X Dual Layer Blank DVD Media
Verbatim DVD-R 4X 8.5GB Dual-Layer Blank DVD Media

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/allmedia/dvd-r-dual-layer-subcat-1225.htm
'

[...]

12/12/2005 4:06:21 PM
..           --------------------------------------
               Mike Richter, were you born with
            "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
            --------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin Shit) crapped:

> <snip cockamamie mumbo jumbo>

Expert on DVD, Mikey?

    Mike Richter (Friggin Shit) splattered (10/21/04):

    > > -R and -R/W (pronounced "dash" R, "dash"R/W) differ somewhat
    > > from +R and +R/W (pronounced like it looks "plus" R etc).
    > > Both are like their counterparts in CDs but the +R and +R/W
    > > format is newer and is an enhanced format.
    >
    > In fact, they're concurrent;

    Sure, Mikey:

    [4.3] What about recordable DVD: DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD+RW,
          and DVD+R?
    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3

         DVD-R was first available in fall 1997.
         DVD+R was released in mid 2002.

         DVD-RW came out in Japan in December 1999
         DVD+RW became available in fall 2001.

    They sure are concurrent, Fucking Asshole!