e-Gems #3 - Publishing Secrets

THE TOP 7 SECRETS OF OLD-FASHIONED PUBLISHERS

7 - Traditional publishers lose money on over 85% of the books they
publish, so they only accept 2% of those that are submitted.

6 - They typically accept manuscripts only from established authors who
have demonstrated a proven track record.

5 - Authors lose all control of their content during the editing
process.

4 - Authors must still invest an enormous amount of time, energy, and
money promoting a traditionally-published book.

3- Authors typically receive 5-10% royalty on the wholesale price of
the book, and from that have to give 15-25% to their agent. Do the
math.

2 - The majority of books published by old-fashioned publishers go out
of print within 3 years.

1- The publisher acquires all rights to the work and keeps them, even
when the book goes out of print or the publisher goes out of business!

Those are big sacrifices, even if you DO get accepted. No wonder so
many authors are investigating custom publishing.

Next week's e-Gem details concerns and questions you should have when
selecting a publisher for your book.

Sincerely,
Gem
http://www.outskirtspress.com

If you missed the last e-Gem about Vanity Printers, click here:

http://www.outskirtspress.com/courses/5deadlysins.php4

0
Gem
5/4/2005 3:12:49 PM
comp.publish.electronic.misc 401 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Log5j e Jboss 3.2.3
How i can use the log4j with Jboss 3.2.3 ? Can you give me an example of log4j.xml and java source ? thanks ...

Effective C++ 3/e or 2/e ?
Hi all, I have come to a point where I can comprehend C++ code much better. I will finish C++ Primer 4/e within next few days. Right now I am feeling the need to have have coding standards when I write programs and I feel I must apply some better ways to design my code e.g. all of my the programmers at my college use to write this code: for( int i=0; i <= 10; ++i ) { add elements to array; } while I used this code from C++ Primer (the book recommended by you people) for( std::vector<int>::const_iterator iter = ivec.begin(); iter != ivec....

solutions manual for Device Electronics for Integrated Circuits 3e 3/E 3rd Edition by Richard Muller Theodore Kamins contact directly at studentshelp(at)hotmail(dot)com
Device Electronics for Integrated Circuits 3e 3/E 3rd Edition by Richard Muller Theodore Kamins solutions manual available at best price contact at studentshelp(at)hotmail(dot)com Device Electronics for Integrated Circuits 3e 3/E 3rd Edition by Richard Muller Theodore Kamins ...

LADRO E BRUCIA RISPARMI FEDERICO IZZI ZIO ROMOLO, FA PERDERE IN BORSA, MILIONI DI EURO E SEMPRE!!! CAGNACCIO TRADER FEDERICO IZZI: FACEVA VENDERE AZIONI AD INIZIO 1.2012 E TUTTO E' SALITO PER 3 MESI h
TRUFFATORE, MEGA CANE IN BORSA, NAZI PEDERASTA FEDERICO IZZI "TRADER" "ZIO ROMOLO". FACEVA VENDERE A INIZIO 1.2012 E TUTTO E' SALITO PER 3 MESI http://mercatoliberotraderpergioco.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/ci-attende-un-gennaio-di-ribassi.html!!! FACEVA POI COMPRARE, OVVIAMENTE, AI MASSIMI, E SIAM CROLLATI. COME SE NON BASTASSE E' PURE NOTISSIMO DEPRAVATO PEDERASTA. NOTISSIMO PEDOFROCIO. MA SPECIALMENTE, E' TRUFFATORE, LADRO E BRUCIA RISPARMI! CHI SI AFFIDA LUI, PRENDE I SOLDI E LI GETTA NEL WC, ANZI, NEL "WC" BUSH"! it.cultura.linguistica.i...

Re: From e-3000 to e-1 in a few steps #3
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 07:22:18PM -0700, F. Alfredo Rego wrote: > At 16:51 -0600 11/18/03, Jay Maynard wrote: > >Heh. I've had that joy for a while now: I purchased my Olympus E-10 new at > >B&H Photo on September 12, 2001. > Were you physically at the New York City store? That was quite a date... Yes, I was, and yes, it was. I'd been in there on the evening of the 10th, looking at it and a film scanner, trying to decide which I wanted more. I finally decided I wanted the camera. I was planning on mail-ordering it after I got back home to Houston. Aft...

gcc 3.3.10 on Power (AIX 3.3.3)
Is there any issue using this compiler on a Power RS/6000 ? Can it compile 64 bit? ...

Electronics #3
http://stylefriction.blogspot.com/ In This Site There Is Information About Electrical Appliances, Their Maintenance And Other Related Information Regarding Electrical Appliances. ...

e #3
e ...

Electronics #3
http://stylefriction.blogspot.com/ In This Site There Is Information About Electrical Appliances, Their Maintenance And Other Related Information Regarding Electrical Appliances. ...

Electronic/robotic e-books posted in a.b.e.t
There are currently over a dozen electronic ebooks with robotic applications posted in alt.binaries.e-book.technical, posted by Hugged. ...

CFP with extended deadline of Mar. 31, 2011: The 2011 International Conference on e-Learning, e-Business, Enterprise Information Systems, and e-Government (EEE'11), USA, July 18-21, 2011 #3
Dear Colleagues: Please share the announcement below with those who may be interested. Thank you, Organizing Committee ------------ CALL FOR PAPERS ================================================ Paper Submission Deadline: March 31, 2011 EEE'11 The 2011 International Conference on e-Learning, e-Business, Enterprise Information Systems, and e-Government July 18-21, 2011, Las Vegas, USA http://www.world-academy-of-science.org/ ...

ABI information for 3.3 and 3.3.2
HI All, I'm looking to find out if there are any ABI differences between the VxWorks 3.3 and 3.3.2 tool chains regarding C++isms. My scenario is this: I am using the 3.3.2 tool chain to compile and link using VxWorks 5.5 headers and libraries against a mixture of C and C++. The second half of this equation factors in the fact tha I am also linking in 3rd party objects build and linked using against VxWorks 5.5 using the 5.5 libraries but built with the 3.3 tool chain. What I have here is really a difference in ABI's between the 3.3 (5.5) and 3.3.2 (.6.2) tools chains. Can anyone tel...

gcc: 3.3 vs 3.2.3
I've relegated 3.3 back to testing status, making 3.2.3 the "current" gcc again. "DJ Delorie" <dj@delorie.com> wrote in message news:200307010352.h613qRrl030701@envy.delorie.com... > > I've relegated 3.3 back to testing status, making 3.2.3 the "current" > gcc again. http://gcc.gnu.org says 3.3 is for recursion testing only. What's that mean? Bill -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Ser...

Array of points, i.e. #(1@1 2@2 3@3...)
It seems that declaring this as a literal is impossible. One could of course just declare an Array and add them manually, i.e. "at: put:", but this is a pain when there are many points, and/or many arrays that need to be declared. I searched for some functionality in my image that was able to make life a little easier, but couldn't seem to find anything. In the end, I ended up creating my own custom "PointArray," which is fine. But I'm just wondering if I missed something obvious, as I am sort of a newbie? On a side note, I noticed that either "re...

Gem program -- cannot install libxslt-ruby-0.3.6.gem
I am trying to install some version of libxslt-ruby on my CentOS 4.7 Linux system, and I am getting this error: sauron.deepsoft.com% sudo gem install libxslt-ruby-0.3.6.gem Password: Building native extensions. This could take a while... extconf.rb:58: undefined method `find_header' for main:Object (NoMethodError) ERROR: Error installing gem libxslt-ruby-0.3.6.gem[.gem]: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension. Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/libxslt-ruby-0.3.6 for inspection. Results logged to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/libxs...

Web resources about - e-Gems #3 - Publishing Secrets - comp.publish.electronic.misc

Publishing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Publishing is the process of production and dissemination of literature , music , or information — the activity of making information available ...

Publishing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Publishing is the process of production and dissemination of literature , music , or information — the activity of making information available ...

Hong Kong publishing disappearances point to China
The recent disappearance of five men tied to a publisher of provocative books about China's top leaders has alarmed many people in Hong Kong, ...

Dow Jones Launches New Publishing Arm
Dow Jones has created a new publishing division called Dow Jones Media Group (not to be confused with Dow Jones Local Media Group, which the ...

Bupa goes after millionaire surgeons by publishing surgery prices
... surgery costs to put pressure on fee-gouging surgeons and help customers avoid shock out-of-pocket costs. Health fund Bupa will start publishing ...

Downtown Music Publishing and Pandora Sign Licensing Agreement Continuing Pandora’s Advancements Into ...
Pandora (NYSE:P), the world's most powerful music discovery platform, and Downtown Music Publishing, the leading music rights management company ...

Tonara Partners with Alfred Music Publishing for Wolfie Piano App
... most substantive music learning tool. Tonara Ltd., an Israeli music software company, has teamed up with Alfred Music, a veteran music publishing ...

Channel 4's game publishing arm announces first titles
... has long tinkered with its own TV tie-ins and now wants to help the larger indie game development community. All 4 Games, a dedicated publishing ...

Digital Editions: The Little Engine That Could Of Magazine Publishing
Over the last several years, the digital action formagazine publishers seems to have been all about apps. Many consumer titles have launched ...

How James Patterson Helped Reinvent Publishing
... hasn’t always written science fantasy or fantasy, apart from his recent young-adult series. But he’s radically changed the whole publishing ...