"Live" Transparency Within PDF 1.3

i went on a rant earlier about adobe indesign createing PDF 1.3
compatible files with live transparency. in response to that statement
a number of people assured me this was not possible as indesign
"flattens" those elements in PDF 1.3.

as a service i have posted an example of one of these files. i do not
have the specifics of how this was created other than it came from
indesign.

you will notice a HUGE difference if you open this file in acrobat 4
opposed to acrobat 5 or 6. why live transparency exists in a file that
can be opened in acrobat 4 is a bit disturbing to say the least. like
i've said before, i have received at least a half dozen of these from
different customers over the last few months.

the hi-res original PDF file has been stuffit into a 9.2mb .sit file
and it my be downloaded from the following location.

http://www.nrgsoft.com/asian_moon.sit

note: i will only make it available for approx.1 week.

if anyone who can provide some insight into why adobe is allowing this
to occur it would be most appreciated. [no one has been able to provide
me an explanation]

best regards,
dfire
comp.publish.prepress 3346 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <230720042129048173%dragonsfire_eq@excite.com>,=20
dragonsfire_eq@excite.com says...
> i went on a rant earlier about adobe indesign createing PDF 1.3
> compatible files with live transparency. in response to that statement
> a number of people assured me this was not possible as indesign
> "flattens" those elements in PDF 1.3.
>=20
> as a service i have posted an example of one of these files. i do not
> have the specifics of how this was created other than it came from
> indesign.=20

Ahem, this is *not* a PDF 1.3 file. Here's the start of the header:

%PDF-1.4
%=E2=E3=CF=D3
201 0 obj <</Linearized 1/L 11440365/O 204/E 6152575/N 2/T 11436302/H [=20
6696 578]>>
endobj

So that's a PDF 1.4 file....

BTW, a smaller than 11 Mb file would have been nice...

=20
> you will notice a HUGE difference if you open this file in acrobat 4
> opposed to acrobat 5 or 6.=20

Naturally, Acrobat 4 will not be processing any of the (extensive)=20
transparency in the file. A quick browse reveals a large number of soft=20
masked images, several Form XObjects with Multiply blending mode, I also=20
saw a Luminosity blending mode in the file but can't find where its used=20
(not surprising in such a complex file).

> why live transparency exists in a file that
> can be opened in acrobat 4 is a bit disturbing to say the least.

You can open any version PDF file in any version of Acrobat, you should=20
just get a warning that features may not render as expected (or words to=20
that effect). Interestingly it looks like Acrobat 4 and below don't give=20
you that warning, though 5 and 6 certainly do.=20

> if anyone who can provide some insight into why adobe is allowing this
> to occur it would be most appreciated. [no one has been able to provide
> me an explanation]

An explanation of which ? Why Acrobat 4 opens PDF files of a higher=20
version? They've always done that I think, just because a file claims to=20
be of a higher version doesn't mean it *uses* those features. Many PDF=20
interpreters used to refuse to process versions of PDF higher than they=20
expected, however the number of files that would process successfully=20
was so large that manufacturers followed the Acrobat lead and opened=20
files of any version. With a warning if you were lucky.

Notice that Acrobat 4 *does* correctly describe the file as a PDF 1.4=20
version document.

I don't recall what your actual problem was, but PDF 1.3 files with=20
transparency doesn't seem to be it.

FWIW, we *have* been sent a file declaring itself to be PDF 1.3, but=20
which contained PDF 1.4 transparent elements. This file was produced by=20
InDesign CS (3.0), but had subsequently been edited with some other=20
application. The customer was unable to shed any light on what had been=20
used to edit the file (claimed it hadn't been edited, even though the=20
file had multiple xrefs, and a 'Modified' date in the document=20
properties).=20

Despite extensive attempts we have not so far been able to provoke any=20
version of InDesign into producing PDF 1.3 files which contain=20
transparency which is actually being used in the body of the file.

For the present we have altered the behaviour of our product to allow=20
this anyway, and added a transparency scanner which determines whether=20
any given page has transparency before rendering it (for performance=20
reasons). But we don't at present consider this to be an InDesign bug.=20
If you can provide an InDesign-produced PDF file which hasn't been=20
subsequently edited, and does contain transparent objects, we'd be=20
interested in looking at it.

=09=09=09=09=09Ken
0
ken161 (743)
7/24/2004 11:50:42 AM
Recently, Ken Sharp <ken@spamcop.net> posted:
(great analysis mostly snipped for brevity)
> dragonsfire_eq@excite.com says...
>> i went on a rant earlier about adobe indesign createing PDF 1.3
>> compatible files with live transparency. in response to that
>> statement a number of people assured me this was not possible as
>> indesign "flattens" those elements in PDF 1.3.
>>
>> as a service i have posted an example of one of these files. i do not
>> have the specifics of how this was created other than it came from
>> indesign.
>

> Ahem, this is *not* a PDF 1.3 file. Here's the start of the header:
>
> %PDF-1.4
> %����
> 201 0 obj <</Linearized 1/L 11440365/O 204/E 6152575/N 2/T 11436302/H
> [ 6696 578]>>
> endobj
>
> So that's a PDF 1.4 file....

(rest snipped)

Thanks for taking the time to go through this and settle the matter. Your
conclusion that ID's PDFs are what they claim to be is consistent with my
experience, as well. There's no telling what some "downstream app" might
do to invalidate the original output.

Regards,

Neil

> BTW, a smaller than 11 Mb file would have been nice...
>

>> you will notice a HUGE difference if you open this file in acrobat 4
>> opposed to acrobat 5 or 6.
>
> Naturally, Acrobat 4 will not be processing any of the (extensive)
> transparency in the file. A quick browse reveals a large number of
> soft masked images, several Form XObjects with Multiply blending
> mode, I also saw a Luminosity blending mode in the file but can't
> find where its used (not surprising in such a complex file).
>

>> why live transparency exists in a file that
>> can be opened in acrobat 4 is a bit disturbing to say the least.
>
> You can open any version PDF file in any version of Acrobat, you
> should just get a warning that features may not render as expected
> (or words to that effect). Interestingly it looks like Acrobat 4 and
> below don't give you that warning, though 5 and 6 certainly do.
>

>> if anyone who can provide some insight into why adobe is allowing
>> this to occur it would be most appreciated. [no one has been able to
>> provide me an explanation]
>
> An explanation of which ? Why Acrobat 4 opens PDF files of a higher
> version? They've always done that I think, just because a file claims
> to be of a higher version doesn't mean it *uses* those features. Many
> PDF interpreters used to refuse to process versions of PDF higher
> than they expected, however the number of files that would process
> successfully was so large that manufacturers followed the Acrobat
> lead and opened files of any version. With a warning if you were
> lucky.
>
> Notice that Acrobat 4 *does* correctly describe the file as a PDF 1.4
> version document.
>
> I don't recall what your actual problem was, but PDF 1.3 files with
> transparency doesn't seem to be it.
>
> FWIW, we *have* been sent a file declaring itself to be PDF 1.3, but
> which contained PDF 1.4 transparent elements. This file was produced
> by InDesign CS (3.0), but had subsequently been edited with some other
> application. The customer was unable to shed any light on what had
> been used to edit the file (claimed it hadn't been edited, even
> though the file had multiple xrefs, and a 'Modified' date in the
> document properties).
>
> Despite extensive attempts we have not so far been able to provoke any
> version of InDesign into producing PDF 1.3 files which contain
> transparency which is actually being used in the body of the file.
>
> For the present we have altered the behaviour of our product to allow
> this anyway, and added a transparency scanner which determines whether
> any given page has transparency before rendering it (for performance
> reasons). But we don't at present consider this to be an InDesign bug.
> If you can provide an InDesign-produced PDF file which hasn't been
> subsequently edited, and does contain transparent objects, we'd be
> interested in looking at it.
>
> Ken

0
neil9133 (816)
7/24/2004 3:07:14 PM
In article <MPG.1b6c320d6760d9ba98978e@news.eclipse.co.uk>, Ken Sharp
<ken@spamcop.net> wrote:

> In article <230720042129048173%dragonsfire_eq@excite.com>,
> dragonsfire_eq@excite.com says...
> > i went on a rant earlier about adobe indesign createing PDF 1.3
> > compatible files with live transparency. in response to that statement
> > a number of people assured me this was not possible as indesign
> > "flattens" those elements in PDF 1.3.
> >
> > as a service i have posted an example of one of these files. i do not
> > have the specifics of how this was created other than it came from
> > indesign.
>

> Ahem, this is *not* a PDF 1.3 file. Here's the start of the header:
>
> %PDF-1.4
> %����
> 201 0 obj <</Linearized 1/L 11440365/O 204/E 6152575/N 2/T 11436302/H [
> 6696 578]>>
> endobj
>
> So that's a PDF 1.4 file....
>
> BTW, a smaller than 11 Mb file would have been nice...

i apologize for the error on my part. i wasn't aware of an issue with
acrobat 4 reading PDF 1.4 and 1.5 without a warning.  i incorrectly
pegged the problem as something it wasn't and really should of taken
some additional time to fully check this over after i pulled it off of
backup.

i also apologize on the file size, but i wanted to use the original
file in it's unaltered state from the customer.

------------
> > why live transparency exists in a file that
> > can be opened in acrobat 4 is a bit disturbing to say the least.
>
> You can open any version PDF file in any version of Acrobat, you should
> just get a warning that features may not render as expected (or words to
> that effect). Interestingly it looks like Acrobat 4 and below don't give
> you that warning, though 5 and 6 certainly do.

which helps explain adobe's position on people using older versions of
their software. [they don't care!]

> > if anyone who can provide some insight into why adobe is allowing this
> > to occur it would be most appreciated. [no one has been able to provide
> > me an explanation]
>
> An explanation of which ? Why Acrobat 4 opens PDF files of a higher
> version?

thanks ken for your detailed description of the testing you have done
in regard to this situation. [very helpful and appreciated]

it sounds like there is a programming flaw in acrobat 3 and 4 that
adobe realized when creating acrobat 5, but never bothered to go back
and fix with acrobat 3 and 4. if adobe 4 is only 1.3 compatible why on
earth is it able to open PDF 1.4 and 1.5 files?  [just because a PDF
1.4 file *may* contain only PDF 1.3 information is ridiculous. it
should be *all* or *nothing* when you upgrade]

i have been browsing the tech notes on adobe's site about the issue and
everything that i can find explains something to the following.

Support Knowledgebase
Document 323854
-------------------
Additional Information
-------------------
Acrobat and Acrobat Reader may be unable to read PDF files created by a
later version that has the Compatibility option set to a later version;
instead, Acrobat or Acrobat Reader returns an error when you open the
files.

You can create PDF files that an earlier version can recognize by
choosing the Compatibility option that matches that version; however,
the resulting PDF file doesn't retain new, version-specific features.

> I don't recall what your actual problem was, but PDF 1.3 files with
> transparency doesn't seem to be it.

the problem is that these files can be imported directly into quark 4
using pdf filter 1.6. that's a HUGE problem in that they obviously do
not process correctly.

please note: this is not a prepress procedure but a practice used for
importing supplied ads for magazine and newspaper layout. at the
present the best we can hope for is opening these in acrobat 5, saving
them as an eps and then redistilling them with acrobat 4.0
compatibility. [using the eps from acrobat doesn't always work because
they have to be in a postscript level 1 format for quark 4]

i realize our current operations don't have the ideal setup for
handling this but the company isn't a point where they want to purchase
25 new computers and software upgrades for mac OSX.

> For the present we have altered the behaviour of our product to allow
> this anyway, and added a transparency scanner which determines whether
> any given page has transparency before rendering it (for performance
> reasons).

what *product* are you refering to? sounds like it might be worth a
look.

thanks again!
dfire

a = [ "1", "2", "3" ] v/s a = new Array ( "1", "2", "3" ) identical in all ways?
Do these result in identical objects? a = [ "1", "2", "3" ] a = new Array ( "1", "2", "3" ) On Aug 25, 1:30=A0pm, okey wrote: > Do these result in identical objects? > > a =3D [ "1", "2", "3" ] > a =3D new Array ( "1", "2", "3" ) Yes, but:- a =3D [ 2 ]; a =3D new Array( 2 ); - do not. Richard. okey wrote: > Do these result in identical objects? > > a = [ "1", "2", "3" ] > a = new Array ( "1", "2"...

(mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4"))
(mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4")) returns ((quote "4") (quote "4") (quote "4") (quote "4")) Interesting and (for me) unexpected. Because (mapcar 'read '("1" "2" "3" "4")) returns (1 2 3 4) and (mapcar 'princ '("1" "2" "3" "4")) gives 1234("1" "2" "3" "4") Why isn't (mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4")) returning ((quote "1") (quote "2") (quote "3") (quote "4")) Tom Haws www.hawsedc.com Probably has to do with the fact that 'arg and (quote arg) are equivalent, and LISP gets confused by the construct 'quote, which is about the same as (quote (quote arg)). But I don't pretend to know all of the mechanics of the error; the results are somewhat different in R14, BTW: Command: (mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4")) ((<Subr: #22e3e40> "4") (<Subr: #22e3e40> "4") (<Subr: #22e3e40> "4") (<Subr: #22e3e40> "4")) ___ "Tom Haws" <hawstom@despammed.com> wrote in message news:77317472.0309160733.45ea9d8c@posting.google.com... > (mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3"...

assert "foo"[3] != "foo"[3,1]...revisited
consider the following irb session; >> "foo"[0] => "f" >> "foo"[1] => "o" >> "foo"[2] => "o" >> "foo"[3] => nil >> "foo"[4] => nil >> "foo"[0,3] => "foo" >> "foo"[1,3] => "oo" >> "foo"[2,3] => "o" #note the following weird case!!! >> "foo"[3,3] => ""$B!!!!(B#this should be nil in my mind, "foo"[3] is nil, and taking three...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

Replacing "RADIO" with "RADIO" NAME="1" VALUE="1", etc..
I am running code below so that "RADIO" gets replaced by "RADIO" NAME="1" VALUE="1" etc. Actually there are 5 RADIO buttons for each question, and the initial web page I generate somehow dord not have NAME="1" VALUE="1", etc. after "RADIO". So I am using Perl to replace simple "RADIO" with "RADIO" NAME="1" VALUE="1", "2", "3", "4", and "5" and for the choices for the problem number 2, "RADIO" NAME="2" VALUE="1", &q...

how to "(1-3*x^2)/(1-3*x+x^2+2*x^3) => 1/(1-2*x) + x/(1-x-x^2)"?
hi normal(1/(1-2*x) + x/ (1-x-x^2),expanded); 1/(1-2*x) + x/(1-x-x^2) => (1-3*x^2)/(1-3*x+x^2+2*x^3) how to do the reverse? dillogimp@gmail.com writes: > normal(1/(1-2*x) + x/ (1-x-x^2),expanded); > 1/(1-2*x) + x/(1-x-x^2) => (1-3*x^2)/(1-3*x+x^2+2*x^3) > how to do the reverse? convert(%,parfrac,x); -- Joe Riel ...

Hello Partners, Please find the requirement below. Please send the updated resume along with rate and contact no. REQ#1: Title : Java Developer ( Rating Project) Duration : 6 months Rate : open Location : NY strong java, WebLogic 9.2, Web Services, Oracle REQ#2: Title : Java Developer Duration : 4 months Rate : open Location : NY Strong java, SQL REQ#3: Title : VB.Net Consultant Location : NY Duration : 4 months Rate : open Primarily looking at someone who has Excel, VB.net and Oracle (good to have). Req #4: Title : Java Developer (MSA Project) Duration : 6+ months Rate : open Location : NY Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no karthik@bhaninfo.com : No phone calls please. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com ...

about "++" and "--"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

"my" and "our"

"or" and "and"

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

How to "cast" string "1 + 2 + 3" to a number?
Hello again, For various reasons that I won't go into here, I'm ending up with a string like "1 + 2 + 3" that I'd like to evaluate as an arithmetic expression. How can I "cast" that string to a number? For example, if I can get $newnumber in the following snippet to equal 13 instead of 8, then I'm set: #!/usr/bin/perl my $string = "1 + 2 + 3"; print "String is $string.\n"; my $number = 7; print "Number is $number.\n"; my $newnumber = $number + $string; print "Newnumber is $newnumber.\n"; At the moment, I'm so...

Photo Printing Software (1)"8x10"=(2)5"x7"=(3)4"x6"...
I am looking for recomendations on the best photo printing software for printing multiple images/photo sizes on a single sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" photo paper. I already use Paint Shop Pro and other software for touching up the photos but I am looking for something that is simple and straigtforward for the printing layout. Maybe this might have cropping capabilities or crop/stretch to maintain aspect ratios for popular photo sizes. Thanks for your time and attention in this matter. Tom Haughton On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 05:48:05 -0800, in comp.periphs.printers "Tom Haughton" <THaughton@Graffiti.Net> wrote: >I am looking for recomendations on the best photo printing software for >printing multiple images/photo sizes on a single sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" photo >paper. I already use Paint Shop Pro and other software for touching up the >photos but I am looking for something that is simple and straigtforward for >the printing layout. Maybe this might have cropping capabilities or >crop/stretch to maintain aspect ratios for popular photo sizes. Qimage - http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage "Tom Haughton" <THaughton@Graffiti.Net> wrote in message news:111bsftoumtmp27@corp.supernews.com... >I am looking for recommendations on the best photo printing software for > printing multiple images/photo sizes on a single sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" photo > paper. I use Photo Paper S...

Acrobat 8
Anyone know if there is a way to read / write the "summary" information about the PDFs in a PDF package - the information that appears in the PDF Package Navigation Bar for each PDF in a package - via JavaScript or any other method? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm unable to find any mention of the PDF Package in the SDK documentation or elsewhere - anyone know where I should be looking? Thanks, Patrick ...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

9.3.1 "make" vs. "make depend"
What is the difference with "depend"? I get multiple errors running depend but none running just make. Doesn't make also compile the source code as well as depend? -- Jeffrey Stevens gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D2E5A4E8 Key fingerprint: 1C86 8717 E485 FA4D B9EF 96E2 A1AC 4B00 D2E5 A4E8 ...

"Correct" term for a 1:1 relationship between a "database" and an "instance" where > 1 such things are on the same physical server?
What is the "correct" term for a 1:1 relationship between a "database" and an "instance" where there are at least two such "things" on the same physical server? Nearly all the Oracle docs and books define a database something like the following: DATABASE - a collection of datafiles and oracle config files; useless without an "instance" to access the database. INSTANCE - a collection of background procs and memory structures, used to access a "database." Where I work, people typically call each "thing" mentioned in my Sub...

elementvise division "1./a" versus "1 ./ a"
Hi, I wonder why there is a difference in the way scilab interprets "1./a" and "1 ./ a". Is this intentionally or is it a bug? -->a=[2 3 4] a = ! 2. 3. 4. ! -->1./a ans = ! 0.0689655 ! ! 0.1034483 ! ! 0.1379310 ! -->1 ./ a ans = ! 0.5 0.3333333 0.25 ! --> -Torbj�rn. Torbj�rn Pettersen wrote: > Hi, > I wonder why there is a difference in the way scilab interprets "1./a" > and "1 ./ a". Is this intentionally or is it a bug? > > -->a=[2 3 4] > a = > > ! 2. 3. 4. ! > > -->1./a > ans = > > ! 0.0689655 ! > ! 0.1034483 ! > ! 0.1379310 ! > > -->1 ./ a > ans = > > ! 0.5 0.3333333 0.25 ! > It's feature plus an unlucky situation. 1./a is intepreted as (1.0)/a which by definition computes the pseudo-inverse of a . Contrary to that 1 ./ a is the (./) operator. It's expanded into ones(a) ./ a which gives elementwise devision. So it's just that 1. is a floating point constant. There is no problem with say a./b ! Helmut Jarausch Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik RWTH - Aachen University D 52056 Aachen, Germany Hm yes you are right... but I'm not sure I like that feature - It took to long to figure out where the error was :-) -Torbj�rn. Helmut Jarausch wrote: > Torbj�rn Pettersen wr...

Changing "Figure 1" to "Scheme 1"
Hi I'm trying to complete a 1-page abstract and am using floatflt to wrap the figures. I have tried to find the answers to the following, but time is of the essence at the moment. My question is regarding one of the captions: I want "Scheme 1" to replace "Figure 2" in the 2nd image I have included. Advice on this is much appreciated and also how to remove the colon after "Figure X:"/"Scheme X:". This is what is written: \usepackage[rflt]{floatflt} \setlength\figgutter{25pt} \newcommand{\incffig}[1]{\includegraphics[width=\floatfltwidth]{#1}} \be...

Web resources about - "Live" Transparency Within PDF 1.3 - comp.publish.prepress