f



Need Print help (Hardware)

This might be the wrong place to ask, but it was the closest I could
find.

I need to print a number on the back of literally thousands of  4" x
4" pieces of cardstock.
What kind of printer do I need?

I understand (I guess?) that without knowing all the details, it's
hard to answer that question.
The paper will not be coated, and the number just has to be legible
(not a work of art).
The number printed will not change very often.

What I think I want is a mechanical printing press, preferably with a
motorized feed mechanism.
But, being an electrical engineer, I have no idea what to even start
looking for.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?
There has to be an off-the-shelf way to do this, ...or is there?

Thanks!!

0
mpmillard (17)
11/14/2007 4:04:48 AM
comp.publish.prepress 3348 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

11 Replies
412 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 56

mpm wrote:
> This might be the wrong place to ask, but it was the closest I could
> find.
> 
> I need to print a number on the back of literally thousands of  4" x
> 4" pieces of cardstock.
> What kind of printer do I need?
> 
> I understand (I guess?) that without knowing all the details, it's
> hard to answer that question.
> The paper will not be coated, and the number just has to be legible
> (not a work of art).
> The number printed will not change very often.
> 
> What I think I want is a mechanical printing press, preferably with a
> motorized feed mechanism.
> But, being an electrical engineer, I have no idea what to even start
> looking for.
> 
> Can someone please point me in the right direction?
> There has to be an off-the-shelf way to do this, ...or is there?
> 
> Thanks!!
> 

Contact your local commercial print shop.
They have the equipment to do this.
It's not cost effective to purchase specialised equipment for a 1 off job.


Regards

Mike
0
mike7676 (33)
11/14/2007 4:16:18 AM
mpm <mpmillard@aol.com> wrote:

> This might be the wrong place to ask, but it was the closest I could
> find.
> 
> I need to print a number on the back of literally thousands of  4" x
> 4" pieces of cardstock.
> What kind of printer do I need?
> 
> I understand (I guess?) that without knowing all the details, it's
> hard to answer that question.
> The paper will not be coated, and the number just has to be legible
> (not a work of art).
> The number printed will not change very often.
> 
> What I think I want is a mechanical printing press, preferably with a
> motorized feed mechanism.
> But, being an electrical engineer, I have no idea what to even start
> looking for.
> 
> Can someone please point me in the right direction?
> There has to be an off-the-shelf way to do this, ...or is there?
> 
> Thanks!!

You can use a standard desktop printer to do this with some simple
variable print software. A lot depends on what form your numbers are in.
I could assume you have a spreadsheet of them or could make one. OTOH
you could write a program that increments from a start number to a stop
number.

You can buy the s/w and the printer, burn it out on the job and throw it
away when you're done for less than a printer might charge to do this.

You can even skip the s/w and write a small postscript program to create
the changing numbers.

Key here being that you have a Postscript printer. Alternative to having
a PostScript printer is you make the PostScript file, turn it into a PDF
and print from that.

Here's an exmaple of how simple this is.

http://www.tgreer.com/ps_vdp.html

The complex part of the task is converting your "numbers" into an array.

It could be a challenge to turn this:

% Begin Variable Data

[(Thomas D. Greer) (706 N. Main St.) (Suite 100) (Newton, KS 67114)]
[(John Doe) (123 Anystreet) () (Anytown, USA)]

% End Variable Data

Into a list of thousands of numbers. I would write a PERL script to do
this. A lot depends on what you're calling a "number."

If you want to get into Postscript you can even have a loop create an
array and increment it to the new number with each iteration.

So if you're up to doing a little reading and hacking a few lines of
code you can do it yourself.
0
leeb (1197)
11/14/2007 4:20:02 PM
On Nov 13, 8:04 pm, mpm <mpmill...@aol.com> wrote:
> I need to print a number on the back of literally thousands of  4" x
> 4" pieces of cardstock.
> What kind of printer do I need?

As Michael said, talk to your local print shops. Very easy to do on a
numbering machine or letterpress.

0
jono.moore (241)
11/14/2007 8:58:47 PM
On Nov 14, 11:20 am, l...@digitalgraphics.net (Lee Blevins) wrote:
> mpm <mpmill...@aol.com> wrote:
> > This might be the wrong place to ask, but it was the closest I could
> > find.
>
> > I need to print a number on the back of literally thousands of  4" x
> > 4" pieces of cardstock.
> > What kind of printer do I need?
>
> > I understand (I guess?) that without knowing all the details, it's
> > hard to answer that question.
> > The paper will not be coated, and the number just has to be legible
> > (not a work of art).
> > The number printed will not change very often.
>
> > What I think I want is a mechanical printing press, preferably with a
> > motorized feed mechanism.
> > But, being an electrical engineer, I have no idea what to even start
> > looking for.
>
> > Can someone please point me in the right direction?
> > There has to be an off-the-shelf way to do this, ...or is there?
>
> > Thanks!!
>
> You can use a standard desktop printer to do this with some simple
> variable print software. A lot depends on what form your numbers are in.
> I could assume you have a spreadsheet of them or could make one. OTOH
> you could write a program that increments from a start number to a stop
> number.
>
> You can buy the s/w and the printer, burn it out on the job and throw it
> away when you're done for less than a printer might charge to do this.
>
> You can even skip the s/w and write a small postscript program to create
> the changing numbers.
>
> Key here being that you have a Postscript printer. Alternative to having
> a PostScript printer is you make the PostScript file, turn it into a PDF
> and print from that.
>
> Here's an exmaple of how simple this is.
>
YIKES! That's simple?!!

Though I do agree with Lee about getting a cheap printer and burning
it out on this project.

How about this one -- no coding knowledge needed:

Use a program that can automatically increment page numbers, such as
InDesign, Quark, or even Word.

1. Create a document, and put an automatic page number on the page,
and nothing else. Format the page number how you like it, and position
it on the page where you want it. Run a couple test pages to see if
it's working okay.

2. Add however many pages to the document that equals the number of
cards that need numbering, letting the program auto-number each page.

3. Load up the printer with the cards.

4. Print the document.

Of course, this would only work if you had long stretches of
sequential numbers to print. MPM didn't really specify what kind of
numbers he/she needs to print.

Todd

0
11/16/2007 5:06:02 AM
todd.hakala wrote:
> On Nov 14, 11:20 am, l...@digitalgraphics.net (Lee Blevins) wrote:
>> mpm <mpmill...@aol.com> wrote:
>>> This might be the wrong place to ask, but it was the closest I could
>>> find.
>>> I need to print a number on the back of literally thousands of  4" x
>>> 4" pieces of cardstock.
>>> What kind of printer do I need?
>>> I understand (I guess?) that without knowing all the details, it's
>>> hard to answer that question.
>>> The paper will not be coated, and the number just has to be legible
>>> (not a work of art).
>>> The number printed will not change very often.
>>> What I think I want is a mechanical printing press, preferably with a
>>> motorized feed mechanism.
>>> But, being an electrical engineer, I have no idea what to even start
>>> looking for.
>>> Can someone please point me in the right direction?
>>> There has to be an off-the-shelf way to do this, ...or is there?
>>> Thanks!!
>> You can use a standard desktop printer to do this with some simple
>> variable print software. A lot depends on what form your numbers are in.
>> I could assume you have a spreadsheet of them or could make one. OTOH
>> you could write a program that increments from a start number to a stop
>> number.
>>
>> You can buy the s/w and the printer, burn it out on the job and throw it
>> away when you're done for less than a printer might charge to do this.
>>
>> You can even skip the s/w and write a small postscript program to create
>> the changing numbers.
>>
>> Key here being that you have a Postscript printer. Alternative to having
>> a PostScript printer is you make the PostScript file, turn it into a PDF
>> and print from that.
>>
>> Here's an exmaple of how simple this is.
>>
> YIKES! That's simple?!!
> 
> Though I do agree with Lee about getting a cheap printer and burning
> it out on this project.
> 
> How about this one -- no coding knowledge needed:
> 
> Use a program that can automatically increment page numbers, such as
> InDesign, Quark, or even Word.
> 
> 1. Create a document, and put an automatic page number on the page,
> and nothing else. Format the page number how you like it, and position
> it on the page where you want it. Run a couple test pages to see if
> it's working okay.
> 
> 2. Add however many pages to the document that equals the number of
> cards that need numbering, letting the program auto-number each page.
> 
> 3. Load up the printer with the cards.
> 
> 4. Print the document.
> 
> Of course, this would only work if you had long stretches of
> sequential numbers to print. MPM didn't really specify what kind of
> numbers he/she needs to print.
> 
> Todd
> 

This will also only work if the printer can handle the size and weight 
of stock.
Note that the original poster said he had thousands to print on 4x4" card.
The only desktop printers that can handle this are inkjets - expensive 
to run and slow.

Regards

Mike
0
mike7676 (33)
11/16/2007 7:45:48 AM
todd.hakala <todd.hakala@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Create a document, and put an automatic page number on the page,
> and nothing else. Format the page number how you like it, and position
> it on the page where you want it. Run a couple test pages to see if
> it's working okay.

the problem with this method is you'd re-rip every page.

The method I'm showing uses PostScript's caching to prevent re-ripping
each page. The numbers get cached in a single rip and substituted on
each printed page.

The expensive variable data sotware uses this method.
0
leeb (1197)
11/16/2007 3:49:58 PM
"Lee Blevins" <leeb@digitalgraphics.net> wrote in message
news:1i7o3cr.1nyrme5dctvgyN%leeb@digitalgraphics.net...
> todd.hakala <todd.hakala@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 1. Create a document, and put an automatic page number on the page,
> > and nothing else. Format the page number how you like it, and position
> > it on the page where you want it. Run a couple test pages to see if
> > it's working okay.
>
> the problem with this method is you'd re-rip every page.
>
> The method I'm showing uses PostScript's caching to prevent re-ripping
> each page. The numbers get cached in a single rip and substituted on
> each printed page.
>
> The expensive variable data sotware uses this method.
>

I use this software for almost all of my numbering jobs. It's cheap fast and
flexible.

http://www.number-it.com/Home/NumberMachine/index.asp

Greg



0
gregb (49)
11/16/2007 9:40:41 PM
On Nov 16, 10:49 am, l...@digitalgraphics.net (Lee Blevins) wrote:
> todd.hakala <todd.hak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1. Create a document, and put an automatic page number on the page,
> > and nothing else. Format the page number how you like it, and position
> > it on the page where you want it. Run a couple test pages to see if
> > it's working okay.
>
> the problem with this method is you'd re-rip every page.
>
> The method I'm showing uses PostScript's caching to prevent re-ripping
> each page. The numbers get cached in a single rip and substituted on
> each printed page.
>
> The expensive variable data sotware uses this method.

I don't see this as an obstacle. It's just a number that's printing,
right? The RIP in almost any laser printer should be plenty fast
enough to support processing an entire page of text at the rated
engine speed, since that is what they are designed to do.
0
11/17/2007 2:50:37 AM
On Nov 16, 2:45 am, Michael Powell <m...@nooptimapressspam.com.au>
wrote:
> todd.hakala wrote:
> > On Nov 14, 11:20 am, l...@digitalgraphics.net (Lee Blevins) wrote:
> >> mpm <mpmill...@aol.com> wrote:
> >>> This might be the wrong place to ask, but it was the closest I could
> >>> find.
> >>> I need to print a number on the back of literally thousands of  4" x
> >>> 4" pieces of cardstock.
> >>> What kind of printer do I need?
> >>> I understand (I guess?) that without knowing all the details, it's
> >>> hard to answer that question.
> >>> The paper will not be coated, and the number just has to be legible
> >>> (not a work of art).
> >>> The number printed will not change very often.
> >>> What I think I want is a mechanical printing press, preferably with a
> >>> motorized feed mechanism.
> >>> But, being an electrical engineer, I have no idea what to even start
> >>> looking for.
> >>> Can someone please point me in the right direction?
> >>> There has to be an off-the-shelf way to do this, ...or is there?
> >>> Thanks!!
> >> You can use a standard desktop printer to do this with some simple
> >> variable print software. A lot depends on what form your numbers are in.
> >> I could assume you have a spreadsheet of them or could make one. OTOH
> >> you could write a program that increments from a start number to a stop
> >> number.
>
> >> You can buy the s/w and the printer, burn it out on the job and throw it
> >> away when you're done for less than a printer might charge to do this.
>
> >> You can even skip the s/w and write a small postscript program to create
> >> the changing numbers.
>
> >> Key here being that you have a Postscript printer. Alternative to having
> >> a PostScript printer is you make the PostScript file, turn it into a PDF
> >> and print from that.
>
> >> Here's an exmaple of how simple this is.
>
> > YIKES! That's simple?!!
>
> > Though I do agree with Lee about getting a cheap printer and burning
> > it out on this project.
>
> > How about this one -- no coding knowledge needed:
>
> > Use a program that can automatically increment page numbers, such as
> > InDesign, Quark, or even Word.
>
> > 1. Create a document, and put an automatic page number on the page,
> > and nothing else. Format the page number how you like it, and position
> > it on the page where you want it. Run a couple test pages to see if
> > it's working okay.
>
> > 2. Add however many pages to the document that equals the number of
> > cards that need numbering, letting the program auto-number each page.
>
> > 3. Load up the printer with the cards.
>
> > 4. Print the document.
>
> > Of course, this would only work if you had long stretches of
> > sequential numbers to print. MPM didn't really specify what kind of
> > numbers he/she needs to print.
>
> > Todd
>
> This will also only work if the printer can handle the size and weight
> of stock.
> Note that the original poster said he had thousands to print on 4x4" card.
> The only desktop printers that can handle this are inkjets - expensive
> to run and slow.
>
> Regards
>
> Mike

Many HP (the kind I'm most familiar with) laser printers have a door
on the rear to allow heavier stocks and envelopes to take a straighter
course through the machine. They still have to bend a little, but not
to the degree that the normal paper path requires. In this case, the
pages would stack in lowest to highest in sequence. This could be
solved by printing in reverse order if the software supports it.

If the printer in question has this feature, one could keep the speed
and economy of printing with a laser.

Todd
0
11/17/2007 2:50:57 AM
On Nov 16, 9:50=EF=BF=BDpm, "todd.hakala" <todd.hak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2:45 am, Michael Powell <m...@nooptimapressspam.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > todd.hakala wrote:
> > > On Nov 14, 11:20 am, l...@digitalgraphics.net (Lee Blevins) wrote:
> > >> mpm <mpmill...@aol.com> wrote:
> > >>> This might be the wrong place to ask, but it was the closest I could=

> > >>> find.
> > >>> I need to print a number on the back of literally thousands of =EF=
=BF=BD4" x
> > >>> 4" pieces of cardstock.
> > >>> What kind of printer do I need?
> > >>> I understand (I guess?) that without knowing all the details, it's
> > >>> hard to answer that question.
> > >>> The paper will not be coated, and the number just has to be legible
> > >>> (not a work of art).
> > >>> The number printed will not change very often.
> > >>> What I think I want is a mechanical printing press, preferably with =
a
> > >>> motorized feed mechanism.
> > >>> But, being an electrical engineer, I have no idea what to even start=

> > >>> looking for.
> > >>> Can someone please point me in the right direction?
> > >>> There has to be an off-the-shelf way to do this, ...or is there?
> > >>> Thanks!!
> > >> You can use a standard desktop printer to do this with some simple
> > >> variable print software. A lot depends on what form your numbers are =
in.
> > >> I could assume you have a spreadsheet of them or could make one. OTOH=

> > >> you could write a program that increments from a start number to a st=
op
> > >> number.
>
> > >> You can buy the s/w and the printer, burn it out on the job and throw=
 it
> > >> away when you're done for less than a printer might charge to do this=
..
>
> > >> You can even skip the s/w and write a small postscript program to cre=
ate
> > >> the changing numbers.
>
> > >> Key here being that you have a Postscript printer. Alternative to hav=
ing
> > >> a PostScript printer is you make the PostScript file, turn it into a =
PDF
> > >> and print from that.
>
> > >> Here's an exmaple of how simple this is.
>
> > > YIKES! That's simple?!!
>
> > > Though I do agree with Lee about getting a cheap printer and burning
> > > it out on this project.
>
> > > How about this one -- no coding knowledge needed:
>
> > > Use a program that can automatically increment page numbers, such as
> > > InDesign, Quark, or even Word.
>
> > > 1. Create a document, and put an automatic page number on the page,
> > > and nothing else. Format the page number how you like it, and position=

> > > it on the page where you want it. Run a couple test pages to see if
> > > it's working okay.
>
> > > 2. Add however many pages to the document that equals the number of
> > > cards that need numbering, letting the program auto-number each page.
>
> > > 3. Load up the printer with the cards.
>
> > > 4. Print the document.
>
> > > Of course, this would only work if you had long stretches of
> > > sequential numbers to print. MPM didn't really specify what kind of
> > > numbers he/she needs to print.
>
> > > Todd
>
> > This will also only work if the printer can handle the size and weight
> > of stock.
> > Note that the original poster said he had thousands to print on 4x4" car=
d.
> > The only desktop printers that can handle this are inkjets - expensive
> > to run and slow.
>
> > Regards
>
> > Mike
>
> Many HP (the kind I'm most familiar with) laser printers have a door
> on the rear to allow heavier stocks and envelopes to take a straighter
> course through the machine. They still have to bend a little, but not
> to the degree that the normal paper path requires. In this case, the
> pages would stack in lowest to highest in sequence. This could be
> solved by printing in reverse order if the software supports it.
>
> If the printer in question has this feature, one could keep the speed
> and economy of printing with a laser.
>
> Todd- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Thanks for all the help.
I consider myself a computer-expert (hardware engineer / programmer).
This thread was never about the technical aspects of getting
peripheral hardware to print what I want.  It is about volume. cost
and speed.

It turns out Morgana makes a machine that does exactly what I want:
Put numbers on cardstock (either sequential, or static).
The ONLY problem is that the minimum size sheet for autofeeding is 8"
on one side (and slightly less in the other dimension).
Our piece is 4"x4", and cannot be changed easily.
So unfortunately, that machine (roughly $8,500 new) won't do the
trick.

(But in case anyone cares: They have both friction feed and pneumatic
feed designs, and they also make scoring and perforating equipment.
Looks top-notch.)

I guess the commercial printer route will have to do for now, but is
not ideal, and probably not the cheapest in the long run.
=2E

Thanks.
-mpm
0
mpmillard (17)
11/20/2007 9:14:51 PM
>Thanks for all the help.
>I consider myself a computer-expert (hardware engineer / programmer).
>This thread was never about the technical aspects of getting
>peripheral hardware to print what I want.  It is about volume. cost
>and speed.

>It turns out Morgana makes a machine that does exactly what I want:
>Put numbers on cardstock (either sequential, or static).
>The ONLY problem is that the minimum size sheet for autofeeding is 8"
>on one side (and slightly less in the other dimension).
>Our piece is 4"x4", and cannot be changed easily.
>So unfortunately, that machine (roughly $8,500 new) won't do the
>trick.

>(But in case anyone cares: They have both friction feed and pneumatic
>feed designs, and they also make scoring and perforating equipment.
>Looks top-notch.)

>I guess the commercial printer route will have to do for now, but is
>not ideal, and probably not the cheapest in the long run.
..

Thanks.
-mpm

I hate to say this, but ... you could go to Kinkos. We do this all the time. 
Why would you buy a tool you only use once in a while? 


0
pjcoquet1 (75)
11/21/2007 12:06:53 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Need help with help need
Friends and wormbots: I am looking for some intrepid souls to try out and comment on a perl script I wrote. (What, perl in SAS-L and it's not David Cassell ?) The script takes the SAS help files apart and does some analysis (orphans, linkrot and duplicates) and inserts back links. What do back links do ? It ensures every page in the help system has a link to every page that links to it. (Actually only the the subset of the help system represented by the modules you choose to play with [there are over 140 help modules]) 1,000 lines of perl that sprouted out of a two line seed (or should...

need help on creating a print server which other server send their print jobs to
Hi, =E2=80=8E I am new in hp-ux and I have already a "big" issue I am trying to work out:=E2=80=8E We have a HP-UX 11.11 server which acts as a print server with several (> 20) =E2=80=8Eremote and network printers configured on it (we are NOT using HP Distributed Print =E2=80=8EService). In addition, we have 3 other HP-UX 11.11 server which act as db, file =E2=80=8Eand application server. N= ow my task is to make those network and remote printer also available to the =E2=80=8Eother server. =E2=80=8E Now, as I see I have 3 options:=E2=80=8E =E2=80=8E1) Declare each printer on all...

Need hardware help
I have a B&W G3 and we are trying to get onto Broadband.However, when I plugged the router into the Ethernet slot on the back of the G3 and went to change the Network preferences I got the message "the cable for Built-in Ethernet is not plugged in". Setting up the router on my husband's Quicksilver, however, was no problem. We opened the G3, thinking all the bits and pieces we'd added to it might have dislodged a cable to the Ethernet plug, but there was absolutely nothing there. Everything that should have been plugged in was plugged in. I bought the machine second-hand ...

Help Help Help Help Help
please,help us . we have a seious problem, we are designing a radio controlled car that is guided by the PC, to send the data wireless between the PC and the Car and vice versa. we use 2 transmitter/reciever circuits from 2 seperate radio controlled car each running with a different frequency (27 MHz & 40 MHz)and modify the functionality of each to do the disered work. but on mounting a transmitter(40MHz) and reciever(27MHz) on the car, and attach another transmitter(27MHz) and reciever(40MHz) to the PC; we found that on sending signals from the car to the PC on the transmitter & rec...

Need help with help
Running GIMP 2.6.7 on 32-bit Gentoo linux I know about RTFM, but clicking on "Help" is futile. Step 1) I get an error box that says... > help Messge > Could not open 'http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-help.xml' > for reading: Operation not supported > Perhaps you are missing GIO backends and need to install GVFS What is it talking about? Step 2) I open up that URL with Firefox 3.0.14 and I get a bunch of gibberish like,,, This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below. &...

Help needed printing steps
I am planning to send a TIFF/ JPG file for printing. I can get the printer profile from them. I am planning to make all correction to file at my place and send file. Printing guy must be able to open the file adobe and print without making any changes to file. I have theoritical idea about CMM. But do not know the specifics of CMM with respect to printers. Pls help me with the specifics. Some of the doubts I have are *)Should I edit the file with sRGB or Printer profile? *)If am not editing in sRGB, who converts from sRGB to printer profile. Is it printing application or printer? *)At what stage to use the paper profile? *)What are the setting to be made in printer application in general? Thanks Ramesh You forgot the Adobe Acrobat program to decode the jpg http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatstd/main.html $300.00!!! "Ramesh" <asnowfall@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:45ad1436.0310161218.2f80fd5e@posting.google.com... > I am planning to send a TIFF/ JPG file for printing. I can get the > printer profile from them. > I am planning to make all correction to file at my place and send > file. Printing guy must be able to open the file adobe and print > without > making any changes to file. > > I have theoritical idea about CMM. But do not know the specifics of > CMM with respect to printers. > Pls help me with the specifics. > > Some of the doubts I have are > > *)Should I ...

Help Needed Directory Print Out
Is anyone aware of a software package (suite or stand alone) that can give a view a directory tree structure that can also be printed out. I need to be able to specify how many levels down it goes. A text file would be nice but a graphical view with icons would be better. Thanks. Mark This works, although not as painlessly as I imagine you'd like: open a dos window cd\ (takes you too root dir) cd <enter dir name here> dir >prn (same as dir, but sends the output to your default printer) On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 05:38:51 -0500, "Mark Rosenbaum" &l...

Help Needed Directory Print Out
Is anyone aware of a software package (suite or stand alone) that can give a view a directory tree structure that can also be printed out. I need to be able to specify how many levels down it goes. A text file would be nice but a graphical view with icons would be better. Thanks. Mark On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 05:39:36 -0500, "Mark Rosenbaum" <mhrose8989@bellsouth.net> wrote: >Is anyone aware of a software package (suite or stand alone) that can give a >view a directory tree structure that can also be printed out. I need to be >able to specify how many levels down it...

Help Needed
Is anyone aware of a software package (suite or stand alone) that can give a view a directory tree structure that can also be printed out. I need to be able to specify how many levels down it goes. A text file would be nice but a graphical view with icons would be better. Thanks. Mark ...

help with photo printing needed
Dear All: I hope someone can help me with this. I have an image file that is 300 pixels/inch which is 7" wide by 8.763" high. I have a HP Deskjet 932C and it prints fine on my printer. I sent it to a friend and he says it's way bigger then the paper size of 8-1/2" x 11". I told him to try to adjust the printer setting, but he has tried setting up the photos to be printed both Portrait and Landscape...also tried setting it to "Scale to Fit Paper" and "Scale to size"...you name it, but the photo seems to be still printing larger then the paper. I...

Need help with IP printing
I'm trying to print at Kinko's from my TiBook running 10.2.6 without success. I've exhausted all the simple possibilities and need help. Their printers are on an IP network with numbers like 10.22.35.115 and I'm connected to the internet through DHCP. The drivers ARE installed. If anyone can explain exactly how to get X to communicate with these printers or point me to a page I'd sure appreciate it. -- Gnarlie In article <fdb0f9eb83c83d873294970d01cc0622@TeraNews>, Gnarlodious <gnarlodiousNULL@VOID.invalid.yahoo.com> wrote: :> I'm trying to print a...

Help Needed Directory Print Out
Is anyone aware of a software package (suite or stand alone) that can give a view a directory tree structure that can also be printed out. I need to be able to specify how many levels down it goes. A text file would be nice but a graphical view with icons would be better. Thanks. Mark ...

Need wireless printing help?
We have 2 laptops with wifi cards and a Canon Pixma IP4000 printer (it has parallel and USB ports). We don't have a network or router. We'd like to be able to print wirelessly from the laptops to the printer. Will a device like Linksys WPS54G Wireless-G 802.11g Print Server http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WPS54G-Wireless-G-802-11g-Server/dp/B0006G36TA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_3_txt/002-0310417-1240876 do the job? Its nice and small. I could probably velcro it to the side of the printer. If not, other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Brooks ...

Need help with column printing
Hi All, I am having problems generating a report (Columns) from data that is in the form of associative arrays of associative arrays. I have provided an example of what I am trying to do. I the problem is I am unable to align the percent column. Any advise as how to fix this? Thanks Lynn #!/app/bin/perl use warnings; use strict; use diagnostics; use Text::Table; my %people = ( 'hr' => { 'TOTAL' => 15, 'WIN' => 11, 'HP' => 4, 'BLOG' => 2 }, 'jg' => { 'TOTAL' ...

help!help!help!help!
I am a student.I am going to make a simulation of a robot (FANUC Robot M-16iB) under the matlab\simulink environment . It is a normal 6DOF robot.I want to realize any angle and any speed (under the max speed) and any position and orientation control. As I just starting to do this new field,I have no experience about it. Can you give me some simulation demo or examples for 6DOF robot? I am very eager to get these.Please write back to me as soon as possible,thank you! Sincerely, Connie&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; zhanglijuan920@sohu.c...

Help needed with printing docs
Hi. In my project I have a form with a combo box. In the combo box I list a number of different word documents that are on my computer. I want to be able to select one of the doc's and hit a command button to print it. I don't necessarily need to see it, just print it. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks JT ...

Need help about permissions printing
Hello, We have a HP9000 with a local printer. This printer works fine when we are connected under unix profil. But when i try to send a spool from a NT system (with the command NT lpr) to the Unix local printer, the mesage "printer server can't accept request" appears. we think we don't have the correct permissions to print . How we can permit anonymous connection to this printer? we check if hosts.equiv or hosts.lpd exist but we don't find them. Thanks for your help. Best regards ...

Ez Publish
Hello I'm learning Ez Publish CMS. I'd be grateful if you give me some help (links to tutorials, example sites with source code). Thanx ...

need help with smb-printing
We have a problem trying to get smb-printing working properly in MacOSX. We are trying to send our prints to a smb-server, and to get this server to send it to the correct printer. This server requires authentication, which works ok. The problem is this. If we authenticate, the username and passord are stored in printers.conf for "everyone" to read. We don't want that. If we try to configure the printer(s) without a username and password, we get the message "access denied". If we leave the username and password inside printers.conf, the server alwa...

Help Needed Directory Print Out
Is anyone aware of a software package (suite or stand alone) that can give a view a directory tree structure that can also be printed out. I need to be able to specify how many levels down it goes. A text file would be nice but a graphical view with icons would be better. Thanks. Mark On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 05:39:36 -0500, "Mark Rosenbaum" <mhrose8989@bellsouth.net> wrote: >Is anyone aware of a software package (suite or stand alone) that can give a >view a directory tree structure that can also be printed out. I need to be >able to specify how many levels down it...

Need Help
Hi Group, My primary objective is to do label printing. The system is DBCS enabled(Korean). Does anyone of you know about some printer software which is available in market to do label printing on I Series with DBCS. Please help us to find out the software. Regards, -Amith amith.kumar@ustri.com wrote: > Hi Group, > > My primary objective is to do label printing. The system is DBCS > enabled(Korean). > Does anyone of you know about some printer software which is available > in market to do label printing on I Series with DBCS. > > Please help us to find out the...

Need help with printing a form
Hi All, A clients database (built by another and not very well but, its what I have to work with) has bound forms that display customer information and when printed is three pages long. The information on page 3 is set to screen display only. When printing it prints 3 pages with the last page being a blank page. I have tried to surpress the third page by putting a print button on the form and adding the vba code - Docmd.Printout acPages, 1, 2 which does Not work. The Docmd.Printout acPages, 1, 2 actually prints page 1 and 2 of record 1, not the currently displayed records, which I don't ...

Help needed on this 857W config. Repost to be clearer what the problems are and the help needed
Hi, Please see below config for my 857W. The basic topology is that I have one cisco857W and various servers and internal wired and wireless clients on the 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 network. There are a number of services running on the local lan, DNS and DHCP is also provided by a local server on the same subnet as the router. The 857W router sits on address 192.168.0.254 and needs to act as the local gateway for both wired and wireless clients. With this config booted on the router, the wireless clients can connect and authenticate and get allocated the correct DHCP information and ...

Need help reconfiguring print to file
One of my colleagues decided to upgrade Acrobat 4 to Acrobat 6 on my work computer while I was on leave. As a result I can no longer output Postscript files from Quark Xpress, Acrobat 6 has an entirely unique approach to this process that I have neither the time nor inclination to figure out. It wasn't broke so it didn't need fixing. I restored Acrobat 4 and attempted to reconfigure it all to how I had it. However whatever I do Quark will not bring up the destination dialogue box when I try and print publications. The one where I would select a destination and filename ending in .ps, t...

Web resources about - Need Print help (Hardware) - comp.publish.prepress

Simmons Hardware Company Warehouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
42°29′35″N 96°24′34″W  /  42.49306°N 96.40944°W  / 42.49306; -96.40944 Coordinates : 42°29′35″N 96°24′34″W  /  42.49306°N 96.40944°W  / ...

Ace Hardware Debuts First Work from O'Keefe Reinhard & Paul
The new campaign features its friendly, stick-in-your-head jingle "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks," and includes real Ace store ...

Facebook launches project to open source hardware, designs for cell networks
... Cal Berkeley's TIER center. Facebook wants to spur the further spread of cellular networks to isolated communities through open source hardware ...

Xiaomi's new Mi 5 offers flagship hardware at an affordable price
... lot of money to get your hands on a flagship smartphone. Its new Mi 5, which is the successor to the popular Mi 4, offers top of the line hardware ...

Xbox One hardware upgrades could extend the life of Microsoft’s console
For decades, the video game console has been a transient purchase. From the moment you set up an Atari or an NES or a PlayStation in your living ...

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE:BABA) Is “Oversold”: JPMorgan - BidnessEtc - Hardware - By Usman Farooq ...
JPMorgan initiated coverage on Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE:BABA) stock with an Overweight rating, and a $90 target price.

Google joins Facebook's game-changing project that's eating the $140 billion hardware market
If the hardware industry was nervous about Facebook's game-changing Open Compute Project before, it should now be downright terrified now: Google ...

Why Restoration Hardware fell short
It's now common for US companies to concoct ever more fanciful excuses for missing profit targets. Breakingviews reports.

Xbox One could be getting hardware upgrades
... Showcase and the head of Xbox, Phil Spencer, dropped some hints about the Xbox One's future. "You'll actually see us come out with new hardware ...

KnowRoaming's money-saving sticker SIM goes hardware-free
KnowRoaming's magical SIM sticker auto-detected when your phone was working outside its home territory, switching to local carriers and saving ...

Resources last updated: 3/10/2016 7:52:33 AM