PostScript Software for non-PostScript printer?

Hi everyone!

I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2
system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions?

Thanks for being here!

Stu

0
shenlis (35)
4/28/2005 1:14:20 PM
comp.publish.prepress 3348 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Stuarrt B.  Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in

> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my
> WinXPsp2 system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions?
>
> Thanks for being here!
>
> Stu

Ghostscript. http://www.ghostscript.com/
0
Unknown
4/28/2005 2:04:31 PM
In article <Mk5ce.593$V01.504@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
 "Stuarrt B.  Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2
> system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions?

Adobe Acrobat.
0
elmop (1209)
4/28/2005 4:02:58 PM
"Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2
> system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions?
>
> Thanks for being here!
>
> Stu

Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking about the Epson PS software for
non-PS printers...long before Acrobat.

You people are great. I enjoy coming here.

Stu

0
shenlis (35)
4/29/2005 1:11:47 AM
Unknown wrote:

> "Stuarrt B.  Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in
>
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my
> > WinXPsp2 system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks for being here!
> >
> > Stu
> >

> Ghostscript. http://www.ghostscript.com/

I agree, GS is excellent. I have installed it at a number of sites and it
works. All your print-stream remains PS until the last moment.

The only downside to not generating/sending native printer commands to the
printer is that the converted PS can be a bit waffly, so your printer goes
a little slower, especially if it had SEN anyway.

The good side is that PS is a good standard print control language. In the
unix world it is fairly ubiquitous.

Eric

0
eric164 (319)

CUPS: Non postscript printer as postscript devide
hi all i just set up a linux server in my network that uses cups to print to a brother hl-5030 printer connected via network, using lpd. recently i installed the same printer on mac os x 10.3, finally a task too complicated for a mac user -- to download the ghostscript interpreter, the ppds etc, to use the web interface... so i thought: it would be much easier if i could advertise the printer per ipp as a postscript printer via my linux server -- so i could just select it. but since my brother printer does not support postscript by default, the linux server would have to emulate that. to v...

printing postscript on default (non-postscript) printer
Hello. Is there a way to print postscript (.ps) files on default (not necessarily a postscript) printer from windows CLI or using some kind of a spooler to watch over a certain directory? I've seen utilities like PrintFile or RedMon, but they don't seem to work. If nobody knows of a tool like this, perhaps you could point me into the right directon; I need to know how windows programs print. Ie. I know they place a file into the spooler, but what is the format of that .prn (?) file? Some sort of PCL or what? TIA. -- Uspjesne regije, tvrtke, muskarci i zene znaju ...

HP Universal printer driver Postscript, old Postscript 2 printer and Acrobat 8
hello, I've installed the Universal printer driver Postscript, downloaded at http://www.hp.com/go/upd I've a problem with Adobe Acrobat 8 and two old printer with Postscript level 2 support (Laserjet 2200 and Color Laserjet 4500). Some document are not printed, and I got only a page which say I had send a postscript level 3 document to the printer. When I use the standard PS driver within Windows (and not the universal HP drivers), and I do File Print... Advanced option in Acrobat 8, I got "level 2 Postscript" in Poscript option. When I use the HP UPD PS driver , and I do...

Non-Postscript printer on KDE ?
Hi, On FreeBSD 4.8, my /etc/printcap prints to an lpd network printer: a NetGear PS101 LAN print server, plugged into an HP Laserjet 5P. "ls | lpr" works OK. Now I've installed KDE, OpenOffice 1.1, Mozilla etc. When printing from these apps, I just get Postscript commands printed on the printer! I guess some kind of filter is needed to make KDE generate HP-PCL instead of Postscript - Ghostscript? I've tried a few Googles without success. Please could someone tell me the easiest way to make KDE print properly to a non-Postscript Laserjet? Many thanks - Martin. Martin wrote: > Hi, > > On FreeBSD 4.8, my /etc/printcap prints to an lpd network printer: a > NetGear > PS101 LAN print server, plugged into an HP Laserjet 5P. "ls | lpr" works > OK. > > Now I've installed KDE, OpenOffice 1.1, Mozilla etc. When printing from > these apps, I just get Postscript commands printed on the printer! I > guess some kind of filter is needed to make KDE generate HP-PCL instead of > Postscript - Ghostscript? > > I've tried a few Googles without success. Please could someone tell me > the easiest way to make KDE print properly to a non-Postscript Laserjet? > > Many thanks > > - Martin. Greetings: The "easiest" is probably to install CUPS. KDE is designed to use it but it has lots of dependencies, ie Ghostscript is what does the...

Non postscript printers and ghostscript and JetAdmin
Folks, So here's the deal. I have a Hp 1700CP inkjet printer at my facility. Unfortunately, this is NOT a postscript printer. However, it replaced a printer that WAS postscript, so as you can imagine, all solaris machines try to send PS documents to it, and the printer flips out. All solaris boxes are getting their printer lists from an NIS map called printers.conf. The printers.conf file points to the print server ( a solaris 2.5.1 machine) that has the definition of the printer on it, or should. Printers are added onto this machine via the JetAdmin utility, normally. So here is my q...

Non postscript (OKIDATA) printer installation
Hello, Has anyone successfully managed to access a non postscript networked printer (OKIDATA C5150n), from an Indigo[2] machine, if so some tips would be welcomed. Thanks Adam never tried a non-postscript printer. but i use bsdlpr subsystem and a nextstation with a laser printer (aka postscript laser printer :) ) with irix and lesser unix's, and samba on irix for windows. all works ok. I also have a postscript printer on an indigo2 running impressario and normal lpr subsystem; but it is way slow (old printer - 15years or so) [Additional Notes] I learned of CUPS and installed it but the choice of drivers did not seem to be applicable to a networked system. It give me two options (i) a 12-pin and (ii) a 24-pin Series system ?? It said installation successful, the printer is recognized but the print job seems to get stuck somewhere in the queue and never reaches the printer. lpstat -t shows scheduler running destination correct device: http://192.128.2.89:631 Hostname accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00 printer Hostname now printing job-1, enabled since ...... job list .... ..... Adam Smith wrote: > Hello, > > Has anyone successfully managed to access a non postscript networked > printer (OKIDATA C5150n), from an Indigo[2] machine, if so some tips > would be welcomed. > Thanks > > Adam My LAN sys has some Win 2K OS sys, FreeBSD and an IRIX 6.5.xx sys You might try a very standard printer driver to simplify things (HP or Epso...

Can I print to non-Postscript printer from Quark 6?
Hi Can I print to non-Postscript printer from Quark 6? I have investigated the CUPS/Ghostscript options with no success. The printer in question is a Lexmark E320, non-postcript using Quark 6 on OS X. Any help would be appreciated. Graham you could use Acrobat (if you have Distiller). If you don't have it.... -- Mac Townsend, Adcom Graphics, Fairfield, California: Electronic Prepress & Large Format Imaging www.adcomgraphics.com In article <GaZcb.9670$CI7.7680@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>, "mac" <mactno@spamadcomgraphics.com> wrote: > you could use Acrob...

Use non-Postscript printer Epson C900 with a MAC
Hi Group, Maybe someone would be able to help me? I wanted to Use a non-Postscript Windows-GDI Printer Epson C900 with a MAC. For that sake, i have installed to the Windows PC to which the printer is connected a dummy printer Apple Color LW12/660 Postscript driver, which output is redirected to Ghostscript via Redmon. Ghostscript's output is my Epson C900 driver with the following parameters: -dNoCancel -SDEVICE=mswinpr2 -sOutputfile="%printer%EPSON AL-C900 Advanced" - A testprint on Apple Color LW12/660 is almost successful: The testprint is correctly output to the Epson p...

Postscript printers
What is the difference between Postscript Level 1,2 and 3 printers. I have a Microtek True Laser which is a level 2 printer. When I try and print some pdf docs from the web it says I need a level 1 printer. Is my printer obsolete now? I HATE companies that use different standards in their products. You shouldn't have to buy three printers! :-( On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 18:22:10 UTC, Ed Majden <epmajden@shaw.ca> wrote: > What is the difference between Postscript Level 1,2 and 3 printers. I > have a Microtek True Laser which is a level 2 printer. When I try and print > some pdf docs from the web it says I need a level 1 printer. Is my printer > obsolete now? I HATE companies that use different standards in their > products. You shouldn't have to buy three printers! :-( Level 1 is the lowest (original) level. They are backwards compatible. So you should have no problem. -- Bob Eager begin by not using Outlook Express... ...

Postscripting printer
I am doing some research for my wife (who is a designer). She needs a postscripting printer for her office, that will run with OSX (Panther). All the searching I have done, I have only come up the HP printers (specifically the 9680), which uses a postscript 3 "emmulation" (not adobe postscript-"works the same" yadayada). Anyone have any experience with this? Are there other options out there I am missing? I uess printing to a postscript file (~pdf) is a real hassle 'cuz the color matching gets all %$#%# up. any advice? Thx In article <c4kub7$11n4$1@nntp6.u.w...

Postscript vs. Emulated Postscript
I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to publishers for page proofs of books I paginate. Hence, I am in the market for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I see that emulated PS printers are cheaper. What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers? Will they work with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server? When I read the printer specifications, they usually mention that it either has an "Emulated PS" or a built in PostScript engine with 130 (or so) fonts. This confuses me. -Why do they not mention the # of fonts supported by Emulated PS? - Why do they mention the # of fonts supported by true PS? Which Color laser printer would you recommend (that supports PS)? Thank you. -- MR Don't ever use printer fonts. No guarantee that fonts with the same name are really the same (News Gothic). Nowadays it's no problem to download fonts to the printer. The number of printer fonts is irrelevant - one needs just one font - Courier New for error messages. PostScript clones are not necessarily bad. Even original Adobe PS contains bugs. This PDF doc was printed by OKI 9600 HDN (Okidata), which uses an original PS3 interpreter: http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/a3gencolorhigh.pdf The Web preview (250 kBytes) is: http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/a3gencolortest.pdf The results were better than expected - very good, but some unexpected lines which might be already hidden in the PDF. The color ...

Postscript
Hello, I have been trying to find a library to make the production os postscript file easier from our cobol programs. Finally, I have begun to write a library in OO cobol largely inspired from the C pslib library. I have just finished to prepare the interface of the different methods and write a few methods. Teh generation of postscript file could then be: invoke PSDoc "PSOpenFile" using z"myfile.ps" invoke PSDoc "PSMoveTo" using x, y invoke PSDoc "PSLineTo" using ... invoke PSDoc "PSCircle" using .... etc... which is - to me at least! - ea...

postscript
I'm working in Quark, and have a really large file, I want to print to postscript then distill the file so that the pdf will be really small, but from quark I do not have the 'save as .ps' option, only 'save as pdf', which doesn't help when since it saves as a 40MB file. I want to be able to email it. You can try reducing the file size all you want in acrobat but it will only go down a few megs and the quality becomes terrible. I need the printer descriptions either installed or turned on so that I can print to postscript - how and where do I do this? thanks -C In a...

Inexpensive PostScript printer?
I am looking to replace my aging HP LaserJet 5 MP PostScript printer. I bought this printer for home use about 10 to 12 years ago. It is a good printer, although sometimes it runs out of memory. It cost around $1000 at the time. Now laser printers cost less than what it would cost to replace this printer's cartridge. I am (or was) a PostScript programmer, but I have been out of the loop for a decade. Do cheap printers include PostScript anymore? What became of Adobe PrintGear? What are some good but inexpensive PostScript laser printers (either color or b&w) that are compatible with b...

Generic postscript printer
Hello all, As you know an advanced LaTeX user needs generic postscript printer to create EPS figures for his document. I am using Adobe generic postscript printer, but I am not too pleased with the result. There are lots of unrelated references and the resulting document is rather long. Can you suggest any other generic postscript printer for Windows? Marko. Pygmalion wrote: > Hello all, > > As you know an advanced LaTeX user needs generic postscript printer to > create EPS figures for his document. I am using Adobe generic > postscript printer, but I am not too pleased...

Color PostScript to gray scale PostScript conversion
I would like to take a (possibly) color PostScript file and generate a gray scale PostScript file from it (that is, create a PostScript file that looks like the original PostScript file as printed on a black-and-white printer). Can ghostscript do this? ...

Affordable Postscript Printers
I tried to post this before, but something happened... Can anyone steer me to an afford Postscript printer? I have been looking at rebuilts, but at $250 for an HP 4M and $350 for an HP 6MP I wonder if there is such a printer..... Thanks in advance john slimick slimick@pitt.edu How much do you want to spend? Mike Schumann "John Slimick" <slimick@pitt.edu> wrote in message news:slrndi95l7.hsu.slimick@localhost.localdomain... >I tried to post this before, but something happened... > > Can anyone steer me to an afford Postscript > printer? I have been looking at rebuilts, > but at $250 for an HP 4M and $350 for an HP 6MP > I wonder if there is such a printer..... > > Thanks in advance > > john slimick > slimick@pitt.edu > John Slimick <slimick@pitt.edu> wrote: > I tried to post this before, but something happened... > > Can anyone steer me to an afford Postscript > printer? I have been looking at rebuilts, > but at $250 for an HP 4M and $350 for an HP 6MP > I wonder if there is such a printer..... What's the application--do you need a printer that supports PostScript natively? If a computer-based PS interpreter would be acceptable, Ghostscript is free and works well: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ -- Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA Hi John I prefer Brother lasers over HPs these days, particularly at the low end. Bet...

PostScript to Troff Converter (*Not Troff to PostScript Converter*)
Is a utility available to convert PostScript into a troff input file? Here's where I'm going with this... There is an existing PDF form that can be converted to PS. Using the PS ou= tput, I'd like to somehow generate an equivalent troff input file. The inp= ut file would be used as a template which would be dynamically filled by a = script, run through troff and grops to create a PS file, and from there a c= onverted to a PDF for delivery. I figure that this may be a way of getting around the use of Java's iText o= n my otherwise bare-bones BSD box, but am unsure whether it is even possibl= e to convert PS to troff input... On Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:07:22 PM UTC-5, gjwat...@gmail.com wrote: > Is a utility available to convert PostScript into a troff input file? >=20 > Here's where I'm going with this... >=20 > There is an existing PDF form that can be converted to PS. Using the PS = output, I'd like to somehow generate an equivalent troff input file. The i= nput file would be used as a template which would be dynamically filled by = a script, run through troff and grops to create a PS file, and from there a= converted to a PDF for delivery. >=20 > I figure that this may be a way of getting around the use of Java's iText= on my otherwise bare-bones BSD box, but am unsure whether it is even possi= ble to convert PS to troff input... I've never heard of such a utility and I think i...

Dell postscript printer?
Does anybody use/remember a Dell postscript (laser) printer? If so, please provide the model number. I am thinking about buying one. TIA. Craig http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/print_3100cn?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dh ...

Postscript Printers
Hi! I have a big old HP Deskjet 1200C/PS sitting under my desk, hasn't been required since I moved to an O2 and couldn't be bothered buying the special parallel cable (Why, SGI?). I moved all my printing requirements to a mac. So, is there any demand for it? It has a HP JetDirect card and 12MB of RAM. At the moment it's just taking up space here, if someone wants to come (North of England) and take it away they're welcome! Fits an Indigo2 no problem, works OK except for yellow. "jonny_morrisuk@yahoo.co.uk" <jonny_morrisuk@yahoo.co.uk> writes:...

Installing postscript printer
Hi, I have been trying to install the Adobe virtual postscript printer. It installs fine, and suggested by Adobe I select the port as "File". When I print using the printer through code, it asks for an output file. I have defined my output file. All I want is to create a .ps file so that I can run a set of them through ghostscript and compile them in certain order. I will appreciate any help. Nand nbelani@aol.com wrote: >I have been trying to install the Adobe virtual postscript printer. It >installs fine, and suggested by Adobe I select the port as "File". Ok. &g...

\psfrag
I am trying to get \psfrag to work. I usually generate my eps-file with the "Adobe Generic Color Postscript" driver. If I set the postscript level to 2, \psfrag doesn't find the label (xS used instead of S) If I set the postscript level to 1, \psfrag doesn't find the label because it is split into single letters. What else can I do? Oskar On Apr 5, 2:53 am, "Oskar von dem Hagen" <garb...@vondemhagen.de> wrote: > I am trying to get \psfrag to work. I usually generate my eps-file with > the "Adobe Generic Color Postscript" driver. > > If I set the postscript level to 2, \psfrag doesn't find the label (xS > used instead of S) > > If I set the postscript level to 1, \psfrag doesn't find the label because > it is split into single letters. > > What else can I do? > > Oskar We need to know a bit more here. What are you generating PostScript files from? Can you perhaps post an example file, so that we can have a look at it? Joseph Wright On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 09:44:03 +0200, Joseph Wright <joseph.wright@morningstar2.co.uk> wrote: > We need to know a bit more here. What are you generating PostScript > files from? Can you perhaps post an example file, so that we can > have a look at it? I print (from different applications) to the Generic Postcript Printer from Adbobe, which saves the result in an EPS file. This all works very well, except that I can't ...

True Postscript printers?
Based on features, price etc I am leaning towards purchasing Brother 5250DN monochrome laser printer. It comes with Brother's postscript emulation. Beofre I take the final nonrefundable plunge, just how important it is to have true adobe ps in your printer? What is the starting price for such models? Many thanks. Ajanta wrote: > Based on features, price etc I am leaning towards purchasing Brother > 5250DN monochrome laser printer. It comes with Brother's postscript > emulation. > > Beofre I take the final nonrefundable plunge, just how important it is > to have tru...

Laser printers and postscript
A newbie question: Are laser printers automaticly postscript printers or would I still have to use the ppd files to get it to print postscript? I see a couple of laser printers I would like to buy but they don't appear in the /etc/lp/model/ppd/system/foomatic directory. Do I really need to match a laser printer that is in that directory? Thanks in advance, Gary. Gary wrote: > A newbie question: > Are laser printers automaticly postscript printers or would I still have > to use the ppd files to get it to print postscript? No. Some do, some don't. The ones that do are mor...

Web resources about - PostScript Software for non-PostScript printer? - comp.publish.prepress