Postscript vs. Emulated Postscript

I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to
publishers for page proofs of books I paginate.  Hence, I am in the market
for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I see that
emulated PS printers are cheaper.

What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers?  Will they work
with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server?

When I read the printer specifications, they usually mention that it either
has an "Emulated PS" or a built in PostScript engine with 130 (or so) fonts.
This confuses me.
-Why do they not mention the # of fonts supported by Emulated PS?
- Why do they mention the # of fonts supported by true PS?

Which Color laser printer would you recommend (that supports PS)?

Thank you.

--
MR

0
u1636 (3)
7/22/2005 5:08:39 PM
comp.publish.prepress 3348 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Don't ever use printer fonts. No guarantee that fonts
with the same name are really the same (News Gothic).
Nowadays it's no problem to download fonts to the printer.
The number of printer fonts is irrelevant - one needs
just one font - Courier New for error messages.

PostScript clones are not necessarily bad. Even original
Adobe PS contains bugs.

This PDF doc was printed by OKI 9600 HDN (Okidata),
which uses an original PS3 interpreter:
http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/a3gencolorhigh.pdf
The Web preview (250 kBytes) is:
http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/a3gencolortest.pdf

The results were better than expected - very good,
but some unexpected lines which might be already hidden
in the PDF. The color reproduction is really OK:

The machine (A3 oversize) costs about 4200 Euro.
Delivery about 4..5 weeks in Europe.

So far I have only the trial prints.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

0
hoffmann (1362)
7/22/2005 6:11:09 PM
Recently, m <u@dTch.com> posted:

> I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to
> publishers for page proofs of books I paginate.  Hence, I am in the
> market for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I
> see that emulated PS printers are cheaper.
>
> What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers?  Will
> they work with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server?
>
> When I read the printer specifications, they usually mention that it
> either has an "Emulated PS" or a built in PostScript engine with 130
> (or so) fonts. This confuses me.
> -Why do they not mention the # of fonts supported by Emulated PS?
> - Why do they mention the # of fonts supported by true PS?
>
> Which Color laser printer would you recommend (that supports PS)?

The good news is that if all you are printing are PDFs, then the
functional differences between true Adobe PostScript and emulated
PostScript (aka PostScript clones) RIPs will be minimized. The bad news is
that if you are proofing for final output, one can get bitten by
incompatibities in some PostScript clones, and printing only PDFs can mask
these problems.

In either case, you will want to embed your fonts in the PDFs to reduce
the likelihood of text reflows when the documents are opened on different
machines. So, the number of printer-resident fonts becomes pretty much
irrelevant.

If you plan to proof color with your laser printer, you will need one that
is capable of "graphics-quality", rather than "office-quality" color
renditions. These will set you back a good bit more than the
office-quality printers, as will supplies and maintenance. Whether the
printer will work with a particular platform depends on the drivers that
are available. I'm not sure what you mean by "network print server", but I
hope you mean a computer dedicated to spooling print jobs. PostScript is
not a small printer language, so unless the printer has a lot of memory
and a built-in network port, you'll need considerable resources to spool
jobs.

Hope this helps!

Neil

0
neil9133 (816)
7/22/2005 7:27:02 PM

Neil Gould wrote:
> Recently, m <u@dTch.com> posted:
>
> > I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to
> > publishers for page proofs of books I paginate.  Hence, I am in the
> > market for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I
> > see that emulated PS printers are cheaper.
> >
> > What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers?  Will
> > they work with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server?
> The good news is that if all you are printing are PDFs, then the
> functional differences between true Adobe PostScript and emulated
> PostScript (aka PostScript clones) RIPs will be minimized. The bad news is
> that if you are proofing for final output, one can get bitten by
> incompatibities in some PostScript clones, and printing only PDFs can mask
> these problems.

The bad news (in my experience) is that the HP clone (e.g. TN2100, a
terrible printer) has a lot of difficulty with PDFs. Text-only ones are
fine. The older LaserJets (4MV, 6MP) which use true Adobe RIPs are fast
and reliable, and gave us no problems at all, even with very complex
PDFs. So my conclusion, over the years, is that that clone, at least,
is certainly to be avoided.

--Toby

> [...]

0
toby23 (1177)
7/22/2005 8:08:24 PM
"m" <u@dTch.com> wrote in message news:kM9Ee.1440$sf6.599@fe08.lga...
>I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to
> publishers for page proofs of books I paginate.  Hence, I am in the market
> for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I see that
> emulated PS printers are cheaper.
>
> What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers?  Will they
> work
> with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server?
>
> When I read the printer specifications, they usually mention that it
> either
> has an "Emulated PS" or a built in PostScript engine with 130 (or so)
> fonts.
> This confuses me.
> -Why do they not mention the # of fonts supported by Emulated PS?
> - Why do they mention the # of fonts supported by true PS?
>
> Which Color laser printer would you recommend (that supports PS)?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> MR

Hi M,

I'd recommened one of the Epson professional 13x19 color printer. I used to
have one. I believe that it handled PS very well.

Check out their web site www.epson.com.

Stu

0
shenlis (35)
7/22/2005 9:14:23 PM
I have the Epson 2200 with rip for color proofs and the LaserJet 4mv for BW
proofs. I have had no problems. I bought the 4mv cheap used and together
with the Epson inkjet is far less than a color laser would cost.

In message <PkdEe.3036$6f.929@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Stuart
B. Henlis <shenlis@earthlink.net> writes
>I'd recommened one of the Epson professional 13x19 color printer. I used to
>have one. I believe that it handled PS very well.
>
>Check out their web site www.epson.com.

As someone else suggested, if you are going to be serious about colour
matching with proofs, then you should really look for a contone printer
rather than a halftone.  Probably about the cheapest such printer is
likely to be the Xerox Phaser 7750 (I think its that model that does
contone).  I would be very surprised if there is a contone printer out
there that doesnt use true postscript.

--
Timothy
0
me@privacy.net wrote:
> In message <PkdEe.3036$6f.929@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Stuart
> B. Henlis <shenlis@earthlink.net> writes
>
>> I'd recommened one of the Epson professional 13x19 color printer. I
>> used to
>> have one. I believe that it handled PS very well.
>>
>> Check out their web site www.epson.com.
>>
> As someone else suggested, if you are going to be serious about colour
> matching with proofs, then you should really look for a contone printer
> rather than a halftone.  Probably about the cheapest such printer is
> likely to be the Xerox Phaser 7750 (I think its that model that does
> contone).  I would be very surprised if there is a contone printer out
> there that doesnt use true postscript.

This is a very fine printer. I'm in love with mine. If you can hurdle
the ticket cost, it's far less expensive to run than an inkjet.

In message <42e20974$1_4@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Simon Warner
<simon.thomas-warner@tiscali.co.uk> writes
>me@privacy.net wrote:
>> As someone else suggested, if you are going to be serious about
>>colour  matching with proofs, then you should really look for a
>>contone printer  rather than a halftone.  Probably about the cheapest
>>such printer is  likely to be the Xerox Phaser 7750 (I think its that
>>model that does  contone).  I would be very surprised if there is a
>>contone printer out  there that doesnt use true postscript.
>>
>This is a very fine printer. I'm in love with mine. If you can hurdle
>the ticket cost, it's far less expensive to run than an inkjet.

Am I right in thinking its a contone?  So you get a wider gamut and no
dithering patterns.  I'm sure everyone would appreciate a little
personal review on here, then google can store it for posterity.

--
Timothy
0
me@privacy.net wrote:
> In message <42e20974$1_4@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Simon Warner
> <simon.thomas-warner@tiscali.co.uk> writes
>
>> me@privacy.net wrote:
>>
>>> As someone else suggested, if you are going to be serious about
>>> colour  matching with proofs, then you should really look for a
>>> contone printer  rather than a halftone.  Probably about the cheapest
>>> such printer is  likely to be the Xerox Phaser 7750 (I think its that
>>> model that does  contone).  I would be very surprised if there is a
>>> contone printer out  there that doesnt use true postscript.
>>>
>> This is a very fine printer. I'm in love with mine. If you can hurdle
>> the ticket cost, it's far less expensive to run than an inkjet.
>

> Am I right in thinking its a contone?  So you get a wider gamut and no
> dithering patterns.  I'm sure everyone would appreciate a little
> personal review on here, then google can store it for posterity.

I've seen this stated, but not by Xerox. It is 1200 x 1200 dpi and the
results are gorgeous. Good controls for colour matching. But contone?
Don't know for sure that it is.

Postscript
Hello, I have been trying to find a library to make the production os postscript file easier from our cobol programs. Finally, I have begun to write a library in OO cobol largely inspired from the C pslib library. I have just finished to prepare the interface of the different methods and write a few methods. Teh generation of postscript file could then be: invoke PSDoc "PSOpenFile" using z"myfile.ps" invoke PSDoc "PSMoveTo" using x, y invoke PSDoc "PSLineTo" using ... invoke PSDoc "PSCircle" using .... etc... which is - to me at least! - ea...

postscript
I'm working in Quark, and have a really large file, I want to print to postscript then distill the file so that the pdf will be really small, but from quark I do not have the 'save as .ps' option, only 'save as pdf', which doesn't help when since it saves as a 40MB file. I want to be able to email it. You can try reducing the file size all you want in acrobat but it will only go down a few megs and the quality becomes terrible. I need the printer descriptions either installed or turned on so that I can print to postscript - how and where do I do this? thanks -C In a...

PostScript Software for non-PostScript printer?
Hi everyone! I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2 system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? Thanks for being here! Stu "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in news:Mk5ce.593$V01.504@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net: > Hi everyone! > > I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my > WinXPsp2 system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? > > Thanks for being here! > > Stu > > > Ghostscript. http://www.ghostscript.com/ In article <Mk5ce.593$V01...

CUPS: Non postscript printer as postscript devide
hi all i just set up a linux server in my network that uses cups to print to a brother hl-5030 printer connected via network, using lpd. recently i installed the same printer on mac os x 10.3, finally a task too complicated for a mac user -- to download the ghostscript interpreter, the ppds etc, to use the web interface... so i thought: it would be much easier if i could advertise the printer per ipp as a postscript printer via my linux server -- so i could just select it. but since my brother printer does not support postscript by default, the linux server would have to emulate that. to v...

Color PostScript to gray scale PostScript conversion
I would like to take a (possibly) color PostScript file and generate a gray scale PostScript file from it (that is, create a PostScript file that looks like the original PostScript file as printed on a black-and-white printer). Can ghostscript do this? ...

printing postscript on default (non-postscript) printer
Hello. Is there a way to print postscript (.ps) files on default (not necessarily a postscript) printer from windows CLI or using some kind of a spooler to watch over a certain directory? I've seen utilities like PrintFile or RedMon, but they don't seem to work. If nobody knows of a tool like this, perhaps you could point me into the right directon; I need to know how windows programs print. Ie. I know they place a file into the spooler, but what is the format of that .prn (?) file? Some sort of PCL or what? TIA. -- Uspjesne regije, tvrtke, muskarci i zene znaju ...

PostScript to Troff Converter (*Not Troff to PostScript Converter*)
Is a utility available to convert PostScript into a troff input file? Here's where I'm going with this... There is an existing PDF form that can be converted to PS. Using the PS ou= tput, I'd like to somehow generate an equivalent troff input file. The inp= ut file would be used as a template which would be dynamically filled by a = script, run through troff and grops to create a PS file, and from there a c= onverted to a PDF for delivery. I figure that this may be a way of getting around the use of Java's iText o= n my otherwise bare-bones BSD box, but am unsure whether it is even possibl= e to convert PS to troff input... On Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:07:22 PM UTC-5, gjwat...@gmail.com wrote: > Is a utility available to convert PostScript into a troff input file? >=20 > Here's where I'm going with this... >=20 > There is an existing PDF form that can be converted to PS. Using the PS = output, I'd like to somehow generate an equivalent troff input file. The i= nput file would be used as a template which would be dynamically filled by = a script, run through troff and grops to create a PS file, and from there a= converted to a PDF for delivery. >=20 > I figure that this may be a way of getting around the use of Java's iText= on my otherwise bare-bones BSD box, but am unsure whether it is even possi= ble to convert PS to troff input... I've never heard of such a utility and I think i...

Unix postscript emulation
I work with a Unix software program that prints to various printers in using Postscript 2 emulation. The application prints fine to the HP printers that we have, but print jobs going to some Canon iR3570 printers hang in the output queue. I believe that one possible issue is that the Canons print Postscript 3.0 by default. In the application's printer configuration instructions, it states "enter the name of the emulation used by the printer to identify the Postscript 2 emulation" The HPs accept the word "postscript" What could that Canon be looking for? If you ha...

PostScript vs. PCL
What are the theoretical and practical aspects of PostScript that make it better/worse than PCL? If I were trying to help someone decide whether to use a PostScript or PCL driver, what kinds of things should they keep in mind about each to make their decision? In article <1156263915.838957.25440@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, Greg <greggerz189@yahoo.com> wrote: >What are the theoretical and practical aspects of PostScript that make >it better/worse than PCL? PostScript is a programming language that one can write a program in to make marks on a page, PCL is a set of defined...

postscript to postscript conversion (based on .ppd files)
Hi all, Is it possible to convert postscript content generated based on one ..ppd file to postscript specific to another .ppd file?? Thank you, Mohammed Riyaz P. ...

Postscript Printing Publisher and Drawfiles ???
Hello All, Have any of you come across the problem of printing out PDF files and found that they come out wrong ? Well, I made Drawfiles from PDF pages, dropped them into Publisher frames to print out on an HP color Laserjet 2550L. This requires a PostScript driver. Problem 1. Looking at the Original PDF page it appeared that, in some cases, a bit of graphic was missing. By chance, when I was fiddling about with selecting bits of the Drawfile image, I found that there were spurious blank (?) rectangles that were blanking out a bit of the PDF image. That was resolved in the Drawfile by delet...

Ghostview vs Display Postscript
Develooping a postscript program that was fairly simple, I was able to use the CDA viewer to test it as the program was being developped. (CDA viewer doesn't support PS level 2). One really neat foption is to have it progressively display the outpout as it is being rasterised. So when it fails, you have a good idea of where it fails, on top of the actual error message. Considering that display postscript is no longer availble to those who upgraded beyond 7.2, does Ghostview have a similar capability to progressively display a page as it is being executed/drawn ? Having level 2 (at least)...

Publisher postscript files are too large!!
Hi, I am using MS Publisher 2003 to convert a pub document into a postscript file. The problem I am having is that the resulting PS file is huge. For example, a 2mb Publisher file ends up as a 90mb postscript file. I know that this should not be the case (or at least, I know that it can be avoided) because I used Publisher 2003 about six months ago to convert an almost identical file to PostScript and the file only ended up as 6mb. Interestingly, I had to download Microsoft's Generic Color PS because everytime I tried to save to Postscript using the Adobe PDF printer, it crashed after about a minute. Any ideas on what is happening here... and more importantly, how I can get around it. Thanks, Johannes Stavrogin <silentio@dccnet.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I am using MS Publisher 2003 to convert a pub document into a > postscript file. The problem I am having is that the resulting PS > file is huge. For example, a 2mb Publisher file ends up as a 90mb > postscript file. Does your file contain high-resolution compressed images or gradient fills? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher Stavrogin <silentio@dccnet.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I am using MS Publisher 2003 to convert a pub document into a > postscript file. The problem I am having is that the resulting PS > file is huge. For example, a 2mb Publisher file ends up as a 90mb > postscript file. > > > I know that this should not...

Insertion d'une image postscript dans un document postscript
Je voudrais ajouter un fond d'ecran ou une image � un document postscript existan, en ligne de commande. Je n'ai aucune id�e de la maniere de proc�der. Existe-il des logiciels pour faire ceci ?? Merci d'avance shot wrote: > Je voudrais ajouter un fond d'ecran ou une image � un document > postscript existan, en ligne de commande. > Je n'ai aucune id�e de la maniere de proc�der. Existe-il des logiciels > pour faire ceci ?? > Merci d'avance Le postscript est un langage de programmation, donc, dans le cas g�n�ral, il peut seulement �tre �dit� par un humain...

8-bit Postscript problem (Will IDL and color Postscript *ever* get along?)
Hello, I know this subject has (had) come up many times for over a decade, and from what I can tell on this newsgroup, seemed to be worked out to a great extent by say 2004. My problem is a 'classic' (?) where color postscript output is only 16 colors. That is, I'm trying to make a Postscript color image, but I get 'blocky' colors - i.e., only 16 of them. But the twist (or me missing something) is that 1) I am using David Fanning's flexible TVIMAGE program (thanks! great prog btw), and 2) I explicitly set DEVICE, BITS=8, COLOR=1, ENCAPSULATED=1 after doing SE...

HP Universal printer driver Postscript, old Postscript 2 printer and Acrobat 8
hello, I've installed the Universal printer driver Postscript, downloaded at http://www.hp.com/go/upd I've a problem with Adobe Acrobat 8 and two old printer with Postscript level 2 support (Laserjet 2200 and Color Laserjet 4500). Some document are not printed, and I got only a page which say I had send a postscript level 3 document to the printer. When I use the standard PS driver within Windows (and not the universal HP drivers), and I do File Print... Advanced option in Acrobat 8, I got "level 2 Postscript" in Poscript option. When I use the HP UPD PS driver , and I do...

Quickdraw GX vs NeXT Display Postscript
Hi, I vividly remember the heated arguments (an understatement, heh) about Quickdraw GX vs. NeXT Display Postscript in spring 1997 in these forums when Apple bought NeXT. Notable posters were Lawson English advocating GX and NeXT/OPENSTEP Developer John Kheit in advocating of NeXT Display Postscript. ....well: who was right in the end? Or does it even matter now? regards, -- Matti Haveri <mattiDOThaveriATgmailDOTeiroskaaDOTcom> remove ei roskaa ...

Postscript printing not same as direct vs going to PDF
I have a real headscrater. We have an application that prints directly to our postscript printers or can go to a PDF file for emailing, etc. When we print a particular report that has 'Q's in the heading the PDF version looks and prints fine but when we send it directly to the printer the 'Q's come out as 'O's. Anyone have any ideas? We have checked the code in the programs and they are sending Q's. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. In article <7eb6df4b.0407200847.4876dc25@posting.google.com>, JimReid@comcast.net says... > I have a real...

PostScript font names; Lucida vs Luxi Information
Could someone either provide the PostScript font names for: Lucida Lucida Sans Lucida Bright Lucida Sans Typewriter Or, (much better) tell me where I can look it up? Specifically, where do the hyphens (if any) go? any letters appended tot he end? And, does any one know if the B & H Luxi fonts are clones (same font metrics) of the corresponding Lucida fonts? THX -- JRT James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> wrote in message news:<mGZ3b.1989$Lk5.1248@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>... > Could someone either provide the PostScript font names for: > > Lucid...

TIF files with clipping paths output to postscript in MS Publisher 2003
Hi, I am creating CMYK documents in Microsoft Publisher 2003 and outputting the job as a postscript file using Acrobat Distiller 3.0. I can import EPS files with clipping paths and the jobs output correctly. However, if I embed a clipping path within the alpha channel of a TIF file, Publisher imports the image with the clipping path intact but the postscript output puts a bounding box back on the image. Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this? Thanks in advance. Dominic dominic.martin@dtrack.com (Dominic Martin) wrote: >Hi, > >I am creating CMYK documents in Microsoft ...

PostScript fonts from InDesign cs to PS3 Emulator (Canon ir3200) issues
When printing PS fonts from a complex job to Canon ir3200, certain characters are replaced by outlined squares. (i.e. missing). I've tested numerous times... It's a corporate font (don't know who created it). a) WINXP SP1 b) Canon ir3200 c) if I print to Adobe PDF (press quality), then print job... fonts appear and print OK d) from InDesign, if I switch off ALL layers not carrying fonts (only text is then printed)... text prints OK e) from InDesign, if I switch on ALL layers, text prints as described. In shear desperado I've now converted all jobs to using TrueType equi...

MS Publisher 2000 postscript file shows as Corel Draw 9 application
I saved ("save as) my MS Publisher 2000 file as a postscript (.ps). In Windows XP Explorer, the file shows as a Corel Draw Essentials 9.0 file with the Corel icon (when I expected to see a .ps file). I cannot open the file in either Corel or Publisher. I have tried saving with my HP printer (postscript) and MS Publisher Imagesetter as the printer--neither gives me the desired .ps file. There are Corel Draw objects in my Publisher file, but I've used this file many times in my old Windows 98 environment (with Publsiher 2000 and Corel Essentials 9.0) with no problems. Does anyon...

Curves in postscript
The typesetter is printing my Framemaker files as postscript (prior to distilling those into PDF for the press workflow. (I'm told that that rigmarole is normal.) The problem is that Framemaker graphics with curves - round rectangles, ellipses, etc. are rendering in the postscript as polylines. On a good printer you can see that the round rectangle corners are short straight line segments and look horrible. Anyone know where and why this is happening? I've checked the MIF and see what I'd expect - a <RoundRect with a <Radius 0.635 cm> sub-entry, for example...

postscript and tex
Hello everybody, Looking for assistance, hope someone can help. I have a plain TeX file (a few actually but if I can fix one I can fix the lot I guess) which includes some diagrams which I have drawn in plain PostScript. To incorporate these in the TeX document I am using psfig. There are various different files of diagrams (let's call them diagram1.ps, diagram2.ps etc) and they use common macros, so I have put these macros in a separate file macros.ps and at the start of each diagram<n>.ps have used the command (macros.ps) run Now this works fine as far as viewing the files th...

Web resources about - Postscript vs. Emulated Postscript - comp.publish.prepress

PostScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The concepts of the PostScript language were seeded in 1976 when John Warnock was working at Evans & Sutherland , a computer graphics company. ...

John Eligon - A postscript to my interview with white... - Facebook
A postscript to my interview with white nationalist, Paul Craig Cobb ... I had knocked on doors in high-crime neighborhoods, spent time interviewing... ...

Flickr: PostScript.EdmontonJournal's Photostream
Explore PostScript.EdmontonJournal's photostream on Flickr. This user has 138 photos on Flickr.

Admire Rakti death a sad Cup postscript
... and died after finishing last in the Melbourne Cup. Favourite Admire Rakti collapsed and died after the Melbourne Cup, adding a sad postscript ...

A postscript to 'The Killing Season': Was there a coup d'etat over mining tax?
Sarah Ferguson's ABC series left one crucial question unanswered.

TFS Kanban talk in Indianapolis, postscript
I've been wanting to write this since giving a talk last week at the Indianapolis TFS user group. Paul Hacker started this group and leads the ...

Potter postscript: 10 great, and 10 not-so-great, things about Harry Potter (Plus: The best scenes) ...
As the Harry Potter film series reaches the end of the story, we look back on the highs and lows of the Harry Potter phenomenon.

Postscript from Penn State-Loyola Maryland men's lacrosse
The Loyola Maryland men&rsquo;s lacrosse team likes to pepper opposing goalkeepers with shots. But the offense prefers to have a little production ...

Sunday Classics preview: A Leon Fleisher postscript
... this July 1956 Epic Debussy-Ravel LP. by Ken No, no, Fleisher hasn't died at least not that I know. What I mean in the post title is a "postscript" ...