RIP for ABDick 2340

We have an AB Dick 2340 DTP system. (Direct to plate polyester plates)
Works great under OS9, but under OSX we have all sorts of issues which
upgarding the RIP will solve (we are assured).

However for various financial and other reasons (which I am not privy
to) my boss wants to find another RIP - the basic information I have is
that ABDick are insisting on selling us not only the update but the
computer system to run it as well, whereas my boss wants to buy an off
the shelf PC (ramped for RAM and ROM) of his choosing. He thinks all the
ABDick boxes are significantly under powered re-purposed old PC boxes,
and exorbitantly overpriced.

The current configuration is a Harlequin RIP or as ABDick prefer to call
it PrintersRIP based on Harlequin engine. (ScriptWorks RIP v5.1 rev1a)

The two issues I have are that Quark 6/6.5 files just fail in the RIP
with various errors the commonest being wrong color space, and InDesign
files RIP just fine but none of the file names stick and every file I
send is called "CIDInit" which makes it difficult to choose one job from
another without roaming several if not all in the queue to determine
which is what.

We need to keep all the old machines (OS9 and WinXPPro [2002]) able to
output as before (Publisher, Pagemaker, Quark, InDesign, Illustrator,
pdf and ps) whilst including the new OSX machine for CS and QXP6.5

The RIP host machine is a dog: Windows NT (4) with just enough RAM
(130M)  to keep the necessary RIP components alive. The ROM is only 2
Gig, which with the size of InDesign files we are sending is fast
becoming insufficient.

I'm looking for recommendations for both RIP and RIP host computer,
especially if you are running an ABDick 2340 DTP unit.

As a bonus I'd love something that can output plates and simultaneously
roam!

Many thanks

                 Jim
0
burlyjim (4)
5/6/2005 11:26:34 PM
comp.publish.prepress 3348 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Contact ComposeUSA, a Harlequin OEM. They seem to have lots of different
drivers (which is the key issue here). And they will sell as software
only.

One caution, you may not be eligible for "upgrade" pricing moving to a
different OEM's version of the Hqn rip.

do a google search on them. they are in Sacramento, California.
0
mactno (142)
5/7/2005 12:17:54 AM
whilst including the new OSX machine for CS and QXP6.5

> The RIP host machine is a dog: Windows NT (4) with just enough RAM
> (130M)  to keep the necessary RIP components alive. The ROM is only 2
> Gig, which with the size of InDesign files we are sending is fast
> becoming insufficient.
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for both RIP and RIP host computer,
> especially if you are running an ABDick 2340 DTP unit.
>
> As a bonus I'd love something that can output plates and simultaneously
> roam!

Its a shame AB Dick are being unhelpful, but I can understand where they are
coming from, if they are quoting to upgrade
they will probably want a platform which they know will work with hardware
needed to drive the 2340 unit. not all PC units
work with all hardware.

From software side an upgrade of the 5.1 RIP should be cheapest, but if as
they say they are trying to flog an expensive PC along with
upgrade charges, it may be cheaper looking elsewhere. Compose is about the
only 3rd party Rip vendor I know who supports AB Dick
units.

In regard to Roaming and Outputting the Harlequin RIP still can not do that,
but firstproof from www.hamillroad.com can, it allows you to roam
and approve for output on any PCs or Macs on the network. it is external to
the RIP reading the page buffers so the RIP can output at the same time

0
rh8034 (12)
5/7/2005 6:00:27 PM
Thanks to Mac and RH.
I'll follow up on your suggestions.
Many thanks

Jim
0
burlyjim (4)
5/7/2005 9:02:27 PM
I'm not sure how helpful I can be, but I we have 2 Macs (1 a G4 and 1
G5, both with OSX, the G5 only has Quark 5, so it also runs OS9) and a
PC with Win XP installed. We also use an AB Dick 2340 DTP with the
Printers RIP/Harlequin RIP V 5.5. Our RIP machine is also Windows NT
with 130 MB RAM. We have no problems outputting from any of the
computers here...whether InDesign (we use 2 and CS), Quark (we use 5 &
6) or Publisher, PDF, Word or whatever.

I'm assuming it's because we have an upgraded RIP software (V 5.5)
compared to yours. I don't see why you would need to upgrade the PC
along with the software...we didn't! Hopefully this gives you some food
for thought, anyway.

Thanks Lyn,
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, and yes this is
certainly something to think about (upgrading soft only), we are just
concerned that we are going to be pushing the limits of our RIP puter if
we don't upgrade that to!!

Jim

 "ONT-prepress-Girl" <lynzriches@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I'm not sure how helpful I can be, but I we have 2 Macs (1 a G4 and 1
> G5, both with OSX, the G5 only has Quark 5, so it also runs OS9) and a
> PC with Win XP installed. We also use an AB Dick 2340 DTP with the
> Printers RIP/Harlequin RIP V 5.5. Our RIP machine is also Windows NT
> with 130 MB RAM. We have no problems outputting from any of the
> computers here...whether InDesign (we use 2 and CS), Quark (we use 5 &
> 6) or Publisher, PDF, Word or whatever.
>
> I'm assuming it's because we have an upgraded RIP software (V 5.5)
> compared to yours. I don't see why you would need to upgrade the PC
> along with the software...we didn't! Hopefully this gives you some food
> for thought, anyway.
0
burlyjim (4)
5/21/2005 11:33:00 AM
Drop me an e-mail with the full specs (rip version, plugin version,
PCI/SCSI card used) at prepress_elite@yahoo.com, maybe I have a
solution for you.

Regards
John

Sales Prepress Software / RIP Software
HarleQuin RIP 8.0 (HQ-RIP 8) Download http://ccsoftcc.blogspot.com/ Xitron's Navigator RIP 8.0r8 Download http://ccsoftcc.blogspot.com/ Compose Express RIP 8.0r0 Download http://ccsoftcc.blogspot.com/ Dainippon Screen HQ-510PC 8.0r0 Download http://ccsoftcc.blogspot.com/ Dainippon SCREEN SPEKTA for Harlequin RIP Download http://ccsoftcc.blogspot.com/ Heidelberg MetaDimension 7.5 Download http://ccsoftcc.blogspot.com/ Heidelberg MetaDimension 7.0 Download http://ccsoftcc.blogspot.com/ Heidelberg Prinect MetaShooter 4.5 Download http://ccsoftcc.blogspot.com/ Heidelberg PrintOpen Down...

EPS Prepress For Large Format Graphics From MS Publisher -- Yikes!
Greetings. I am with a small company that is going to a trade show and we'd like to create some large format banners and posters. Actually, for a small company, we make a good showing and we expect to get a good number of leads for our efforts. But what efforts! So far our efforts to create some great graphics have been very frustrating. And what we want to do is something not so unusual! WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN READING THIS STORY: Anyone using MS Publisher to create large format graphic objects typically for a trade show. PROBLEM: Enormous difficulty in getting a file out of MS...

RIP
Hi ALL I Working with Routing information protocal (RIP) Design and implimentaion (Using c-language in Unix). Please can any body help & send me any related information on this. Thanks & Regards: Remo In article <1126340401.829426.44740@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Remo" <reddy.cbv@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi ALL > > I Working with Routing information protocal (RIP) Design and > implimentaion (Using c-language in Unix). Please can any body help & > send me any related information on this. That's a pretty open-ended qu...

RIP
OS/2, you were great! RIP GM writes: > OS/2, you were great! RIP My copies are still running just fine. Dickless Davie tholen@antispam.ham the irrelevant Ignoranus whined and tholed: > GM writes: > > > OS/2, you were great! RIP > > My copies are still running just fine. Copies? Admission of copyright theft noted. ...

RIP
Why are there no more jobs in unisys linc? is it dead? I guess there are no more upcmong jobs for UNISYS cobol itself. There are quite a few LINC jobs are there Pardon me if I'm telling you what you already know, but the product is no longer called LINC. And please take the rest of this with as big a pinch of salt as you feel necessary - I admit that I do work for Unisys, and LINC/EAE/AB Suite is a significant part of my work. So yes, I would say good things, wouldn't I? But I'm trying to avoid marketing speak here. 'The product formerly known as LINC' certainly ...

Rip
I just read an article called Rip: http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7381/1.html It was an interesting read about packaging ruby gems. Anyone played with this yet and what are your experiences with it. Worth it? -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. ...

Harlequin RIP (Navigator RIP 8 )
As the leader in Harlequin RIP solutions, Xitron’s Navigator RIP excels in performance, reliability, and value. Powered by the latest Harlequin RIP PostScript 3? interpreter, Navigator is fully compatible with the most popular software packages used in the graphic arts industry today. Whether your production requires throughput of PostScript, PDF, TIFF, EPS, or even PDF/X, Navigator supports you. An easy-to-use graphical interface helps guide jobs through the RIP for output to over 250 film, CTP, and proofing devices, while optional features such as in-RIP trapping, CIP3 generation, and Simpl...

Publish large images using publish()?
Hi. I have a publish script that generates plots where the fine detail is important. I would therefore like to publish plots that are on the order of 1000x3000 pixels large. That way, the person checking the image ca look at all the itty-bitty details in the plot. Unfortunately, no matter what I tell the script or the publich function, my figures seem to be limited to my screen resolution (Which, due to me using a laptop, is fairly modest). Any hints? Sincerely Daniel Armyr ...

unix rip vs pc rip
hi group i am confuse, with working year with unix rip from scitex, i am just too happy, i never had a problem with big file like 500mb- 800mb, (most of my job is package box) now with some rip from xitron and other which use nt2k , i am able to use open hardware (easy for service), let us compare and make a choice: 1) sending a file 500mb ps or eps file with a unix rip i can use ftp, and it is fast, anyone of you had experience in sending a 500mb to a pc rip and you are happy with speed 2) with nt rip, i can easy go for gig ram, fiber gig lan, mulitcpu. with a unix rip will cost 20 time mo...

Harlequin RIP (Navigator RIP 8 )
As the leader in Harlequin RIP solutions, Xitron’s Navigator RIP excels in performance, reliability, and value. Powered by the latest Harlequin RIP PostScript 3? interpreter, Navigator is fully compatible with the most popular software packages used in the graphic arts industry today. Whether your production requires throughput of PostScript, PDF, TIFF, EPS, or even PDF/X, Navigator supports you. An easy-to-use graphical interface helps guide jobs through the RIP for output to over 250 film, CTP, and proofing devices, while optional features such as in-RIP trapping, CIP3 generation, and Simpl...

Publishing
I am trying to publish my m-file using the publish tool. But i get following error. Can anyone help me solve this problem. Error in ==> m2mxdom at 39 matlabVersion = ver('MATLAB'); Error in ==> publish at 138 [dom,cellBoundaries] = m2mxdom(code); Error in ==> mdbpublish at 59 outputPath = publish(file, options); ??? Error using ==> open at 67 NAME must contain a single string. Thanks in advance. "Sonam Jamtsho" <sonamjamtsho@hotmail.com> wrote in message <h06q2l$rim$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I am trying to publish my m-file using the publish...

Ripping only part of a track/ripping a DVD soundtrack
It looks like iTunes can rip only entire tracks from a CD. What if I want to capture only a small part of a track to use as an alert sound, etc. -- for example the "Number 9" from "Revolution 9," or the "da-da-da-DUM" motive from Beethoven's Fifth? Can I do that, or do I need to use some other software? Also, I get the impression that it's not possible to rip the sound from a DVD? Can you in fact do this? In article <20040627131430.12238.00000799@mb-m01.aol.com>, dhdowning@aol.com (DhDowning) wrote: > It looks like iTunes can rip only entir...

New ebook about publishing : Self-Publishing Simplified
Hi everyone, from time to time several of us at Outskirts Press have posted with articles and tips from our free e-University courses. Lately, we've all been busy getting our ebook publishing guide finalized and now it is available for free from http://outskirtspress.com You can decide whether or not it is right for you. Here is an excerpt. Hopefully it helps some of you. Cheers, Gem ----- When the movie studio system was formed in the early 1900s, actors were signed to exclusive deals, treated like commodities, and paid pennies. The studios maintained all the control and m...

Problem loading Imp.Publisher+ files into Publisher
A customer of ours has Impression Publisher PLUS V 5.13 on one computer ant Impression Publisher V 4.13 on another. If he tries to read has Publisher Plus documents on Publisher V 4.13 he gets an error saying he needs a later version of Publisher! I thought Publisher + 5.13 & Publisher 4.13 were both the latest versions, and that they each could read each others files. Also I have no problem here reading Pub+ 5.13 docs on 4.06 Publisher! Any ideas why? and a fix? n.b. I don't think the customer can/wants to copy V5.13 to the other machine because, I can't remember why but I kn...

Have I been ripped off?
Just paid for a new cpu, motherboard and hard drive. Got an Athalon 3500, but it's only running at roughly 2200 mhz. Store guy says that's normal for all cpus. I realise there's supposed to be a slight drop with the Athalons, but 2200??? <hugebum@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142650518.438380.281170@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... > Just paid for a new cpu, motherboard and hard drive. Got an Athalon > 3500, but it's only running at roughly 2200 mhz. Store guy says that's > normal for all cpus. I realise there's supposed to be a slight drop > wi...

How to publish...
.... my own (hypothetical) game design document? Have I to send it by email to anyone I know? Or, have I to show it personally to a software house? Thanks for the answers :P In article <457dd22a$0$22397$4fafbaef@reader2.news.tin.it>, Emanuele Colucci <emack@gameprog.it> wrote: > ... my own (hypothetical) game design document? > Have I to send it by email to anyone I know? Or, have I to show it > personally to a software house? > > Thanks for the answers :P <http://tinyurl.com/161> Hope that helps! -- Please take off your pants or I...

Publish It
Where can I download Publish It - but please not the ftp.apple.asimov.net - I need a shk or sdk file where I can tell Publish IT that my Apple IIe has no mouse. Thanks for help, Lars lars wesenick <wesenick@cyberspace.org> wrote: > Where can I download Publish It - but please not the ftp.apple.asimov.net > - I need a shk or sdk file where I can tell Publish IT > that my Apple IIe has no mouse. > > Thanks for help, > > Lars http://apple2.luddite.ca/files/PUBLISHIT.4.SHK That's a shrinkit archive of my program disk... you'll need to put it on an 800K fl...

Publisher +
Just recently when I load Publisher + several icons on the screen go monochrome. As does the prog itself. I don't remember altering anything on that prog and haven't installed any new software. Any clues? -- *A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second. Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. ...

Publisher+
Has anybody got the dongleless Publiser+ app for sale at a reasonable price? Regards, Ralph -- ______________________________________________________________________ Ralph King rmking@nospamcwgsy.net (remove nospam to reply) ______________________________________________________________________ In message <4c0d38a601rmking@cwgsy.net> Ralph <rmking@nospamcwgsy.net> wrote: > Has anybody got the dongleless Publiser+ app for sale at a reasonable > price? Computer Concepts s...

Ripped off
Last time I used my ATM card on-line was 3? months ago. I bought Evil Genius by selecting the vendor. I used www.price.com/ to select www.gogamer.com. One of them sold my credit card info and sold it to www.Wli*reservationrewards.com. Phone number 1-800-732-7031 Goggle search of how many people they ripped off: http://badbusinessbureau.com/reports/ripoff84829.htm So if you are going to buy something off of Price.com or GoGamer.com be prepared to change your ATM card, checking account, and order new checks. And just so you know it's not a troll my real name and addy i...

Where to publish?
Hello, I have made a small, but interesting observaion on the representation of suffix trees, and got my paper rejected by Information Processing Letters as the "technical contribution is not strong enough", accompanied by a suggestion to try someplace else. I'm interested in a peer-reviewed journal that would publish small, clever algorithms on data structures. Any suggestions? -- Daniel ...

InDesign CS In-RIP Trapping & In-RIP Separations
I have a Panther v10.4 Adobe level 3 RIP with the In-RIP Trapping option. In-RIP Trapping works well with PageMaker (using the In-RIP Trapping plugin, the Panther PPD & making sure of the page orientation) & with Quark (with the In-RIP extension & if I do not apply colors to grey scale tiff images). However, now that I'm using Indesign CS, if I select "In-RIP Separations" with "In-RIP Trapping" in the print dialog, the results are not acceptable. For example, in attempting to output a CMYK pdf file with white text over uniform process color areas, the white...

PC Game publishers should follow what this Music publisher is thinking on doing
PC Game publishers should follow what this Music publisher is thinking on doing "EMI Considering Dropping DRM From Its CDs" http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/emi-considering-dropping-drm-from-its-cds-229929.php Basically what EMI is considering is removing copy-protection from their Retail Music CDs. That is exactly what I've been asking PC Game publishers to do, remove the copy-protection from Retail PC Game CD/DVD Some actually do it, like Relic, id, Epic, but others still insist on using copy-protection and sometime the more agressive type. If EMI really goes fo...

Ripping DVD's with Linux using DVD::Rip
Hi all, I'm using SuSE 9.1 Pro on a PIII-1Ghz/1Gig Ram system, and I'd like to copy legit DVD's. First I tried DVD:Rip, but I'm running into a few problems. After configuring DVD:Rip it finds my DVD fine and shows the tracks. All tracks are 45 minutes and DVD:Rip shows 65551 or 65503 for each (4 tracks on DVD). When I start ripping one of these it failes at around 45000 saying it unexpectedly reached the end of the track, and on the track list after failing (RIP Title tab) it now shows 45000 frames instead of the 65551 frames. After the second rip, which it says was succe...

Web resources about - RIP for ABDick 2340 - comp.publish.prepress

Search Thousands of Company Profiles
Company Histories & Profiles: # A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z Search thousands of company profiles: 1800FLOWERS Inc Company ...

Ashill - Domesday Book
... Open Domesday Book ❧ Places ❧ Names ❧ API The first free online copy of Domesday Book Find Domesday places near: Place: Ashill Hundred : Abdick ...

GENUKI: The National Gazetteer (1868) - Extra-Parochial places for Somerset
"BREWHAM LODGE, an extra-parochial liberty in the hundred of Norton Ferris,in the county of Somerset, 5 miles to the N.E. of Bruton. It is situated ...

History of Abdick and Bulstone in South Somerset - Map and description
A vision of Britain through time... ABDICK and BULSTONE , a hundred in Somerset. It contains the parish of Ashill and twenty-five other parishes. ...

Search Thousands of Company Profiles - A
Company Histories & Profiles: # A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z Search thousands of company profiles: A & E Television Networks ...

Beer[crocombe] - Domesday Book
... Book ❧ Places ❧ Names ❧ API The first free online copy of Domesday Book Find Domesday places near: Place: Beer[crocombe] Hundred : Abdick County ...

Hundred of Abdick - Domesday Book
The hundred of Abdick in Domesday Book

Somerset - Domesday Book
... places near: County: Somerset There were 631 places in the county of Somerset in Domesday Book. Name Hundred Tax paid Households Ashill Abdick ...

GENUKI: The National Gazetteer (1868) - Miscellaneous
"ABDICK and BULSTONE HUNDRED, in the southern part of Somersetshire, boundedon the N. by North Carry hundred, part of Somerton hundred, and Pitneyhundred; ...