To Mac or not to Mac?

What ho, pre-pressers! Long time no post, or view, come to that. No
doubt some of you will remember me as I see that many of same crowd are
**STILL** here after all these years. Grettings to Aandi, Ted, Lee,
Allen...well, to you all, not forgetting Mr Shagnasty, who I am
gratified can still find something to say after all this time.

Right, greetings over, down to brass tacks. My early retirement plan has
sadly fallen through and I find myself back at the coal face possessed
of some pretty antideluvian equipment with which to earn a crust for the
Tree family. So I'm looking for **SENSIBLE**, non-partisan advice,
please on hardware and software.

Specifically, I need 2 new workstations and need to upgrade from Quirk
4.11, AI8 and Photoslop 6.
For obvious reasons, CS3 seems to be the most cost-effective and
productive way to go so far as layout, illustration and image
manipulation tools are concerned. Acrobat and Pitstop will also need
updating to the latest versions.

So it seems to be more a choice about platforms rather than software as
it simply would not be cost effective to buy two copies of Quirk
Drepress 7, Photoslop and Illustrator CS3, when CS3 does it all in one
box.

My thinking is to plump for 2 new dual core Mac Pros. But would CS3 run
faster and more productively on PC's? What about cost? I can get new
PC's built for a fraction of the price of two Mac Pros, but they may not
be as fast or as productive as the Macs.

What about 24 inch iMacs? Any good for pubslashing and prepress?

Then there's the OS. I pretty much *LOATHE* Windoze XP and wouldn't
touch Vista with a ten-foot casting stick. But I have zero experience of
doing design and pre-press on an OS 10 Mac. IIRC, font management used
to be a bit iffy under the early versions of OS 10 whereas both Type 1
and TT font management was a breeze with Windoze XP.

Can I still use all my existing T1 Adobe, Bitstream, Linotype and
FontFont fonts with OS 10x?

What about converting Quirk 4.11 (PC and Mac) documents to Indesign CS3?
Is it even possible or will I have to re-create old jobs from scratch
before I can re-purpose them?

Printing. I currently use a Xerox 7700 laser for proofing and am loathe
to ditch it. Does OS 10x support this old colour laser?

Memory. What is optimum nowadays? My two existing PC's run with about
2GB each. Is that enough for the current versions of Indesign, Photoslop
and Illustrator? How fast do these apps run on current hardware (PC or
Mac) compared to the old versions I'm using?

Questions, questions, questions... Sorry for asking so many!

I'm looking at a budget of around $12,000. That has to pay for 2
workstations, all the software and one 30" LCD screen. (I have two
existing 20" LCD screens for the 2nd workstation).

Any advice and suggestions would be most gratefully received.
--
Derek Tree
0

Derek Tree <derek.tree@spamnull.co.uk> wrote in

> [...]
CS3?
> Is it even possible or will I have to re-create old jobs from scratch
> before I can re-purpose them?
>
> Printing. I currently use a Xerox 7700 laser for proofing and am loathe
> to ditch it. Does OS 10x support this old colour laser?
>
> Memory. What is optimum nowadays? My two existing PC's run with about
> 2GB each. Is that enough for the current versions of Indesign,
Photoslop
> and Illustrator? How fast do these apps run on current hardware (PC or
> Mac) compared to the old versions I'm using?
>
> Questions, questions, questions... Sorry for asking so many!
>
> I'm looking at a budget of around $12,000. That has to pay for 2
> workstations, all the software and one 30" LCD screen. (I have two
> existing 20" LCD screens for the 2nd workstation).
>
> Any advice and suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Welcome back Del and Greetings from Oz,

It makes very little difference what platform you work on.
The software and the fonts work on both.
TT and Opentype are cross platform - Type 1 from the PC will work on the
Mac.

As a service provider, we support both, my personal preference is for PC,
but this is more to do with my history than any percieved superiority of
the platform.

Mac prices have come more into line with similar quality PC prices
OS-10 is quite intuitive and the latest builds seem to be reasonably
stable.

You can also boot into Windows on the Intel Macs with Boot camp
CS3 is a native Intel Mac application suite so will take full advantage
of the hardware.

Fonts are a bit touchy with an OS-10 an Quark combination, but the Adobe
Apps don't seem to suffer from the same issues.
For the Mac, I would recommend Font Agent Pro for font management.

2Gb is good for either platform - 4Gb is better

Quark documents up to V4.x can be opened with Indesign, but require some
work. Marxtools produce a convertor that will do Quark 6.0 - Indesign.

I can't comment on the Imac, but the specs suggest they should be
suitable for the job.

The budget may be a little tight, though not impossible, the last
workstation I set up was a dual core Intel Mac, 23" LCD, CS2 and the
usual utilities. This came in at about $AUS 8500.

Hope this helps

Mike

Welcome back Derek.  Sorry about the circumstances.

What are you going to be doing on these machine?  Design?  Trade work
taking in files?  Will you be providing files in native format?  PDF?

Shooting from the hip, I'm thinking you may want both a Mac and a PC.

- Allen
0
awessels1 (257)
8/19/2007 3:26:44 PM
In message, Mike Powell <nospamthankyou@optimapprreess.com.au> wrote:
>Welcome back Del and Greetings from Oz,

It hardly seems I've been away, Mike. The same old faces rambling on
about the same topics...but I digress...
;-))

>TT and Opentype are cross platform - Type 1 from the PC will work on the
>Mac.
That's good to know. Thanks.

>As a service provider, we support both, my personal preference is for PC,
>but this is more to do with my history than any percieved superiority of
>the platform.
Same here, as you may recall...

>Fonts are a bit touchy with an OS-10 an Quark combination, but the Adobe
>Apps don't seem to suffer from the same issues.
You mean InDesign, I take it? Is that the preferred choice now on both
platforms? Most of my printers and SP's are using it.

>Quark documents up to V4.x can be opened with Indesign, but require some
>work.
Yeah, I figured that.

>The budget may be a little tight, though not impossible, the last
>workstation I set up was a dual core Intel Mac, 23" LCD, CS2 and the
>usual utilities. This came in at about $AUS 8500.
Then I may plump for two PC's. I can get 2 Intel core duos with 2GB ram
and 2 decent screens for that money from a mate who builds cheapo PC's.
The cases are awful and the PSU's a tad noisy, but they will do the job.

>Hope this helps
Yep, thanks.
--
Derek Tree
0

In message, Allen Wessels <awessels@EXPUNGEpacbell.net> wrote:
>Welcome back Derek.  Sorry about the circumstances.
Aw, no biggie. At least I'll be helping to pay for more foreign
excursions by our esteemed government...
;-))

>What are you going to be doing on these machine?
Design and publishing for offset litho. Same as before. Main job is a
60pp 4c monthly magazine. We also hope to pick up some general design
work, ads, brochures, etc. Output to either device-dependant PS files or
pre-press ready PDF.

>taking in files?
Only Word, PP and possibly Microserf Pubslasher.

> Will you be providing files in native format?  PDF?
Nope, just PS or PDF as I said above.

>Shooting from the hip, I'm thinking you may want both a Mac and a PC.
In which case I may be better off getting 2 new PC's and sticking with
my old G4 Mac for any Mac files we may get? Dunno if an 867 G4 will run
OS 10.4 though. I also have a G4 powerbook which prolly would run OS
10.4.
--
Derek Tree
0
 Derek Tree <derek.tree@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:

> My thinking is to plump for 2 new dual core Mac Pros. But would CS3 run
> faster and more productively on PC's?

I know a very good commercial printer with some high end prepress
experience where the entire shop, save for one machine ("just in case"),
is Wintel.

Of course, the guy running the entire IT operation is a genius, so maybe
that has something to do with it.  But he swears--and he's a young
guy--that there's no reason not to go Wintel.

Frankly, I present this as a man-bites-dog story.  But there you have
it.  Plainly, it can be done in a high end, profitable commercial print
operation.

> Printing. I currently use a Xerox 7700 laser for proofing and am loathe
> to ditch it. Does OS 10x support this old colour laser?

Postscript is Postscript, a PPD is a PPD, therefore any Macintosh will
happily set that up for you.

> Memory. What is optimum nowadays?

CS3 won't even run the installer unless you have 2GB installed.  That
tells me that 4GB is the realistic minimum, and of course more is always
welcome.

0
elmop (1209)
8/19/2007 4:02:21 PM
In article <QM+yJGP9YGyGFwRY@nonone.noonehere.com>,
 Derek Tree <derek.tree@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:

> >taking in files?
> Only Word, PP and possibly Microserf Pubslasher.

Then you need at least *one* Wintel machine.

0
elmop (1209)
8/19/2007 4:02:52 PM
In article <QM+yJGP9YGyGFwRY@nonone.noonehere.com>, Derek Tree
<derek.tree@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:

> In which case I may be better off getting 2 new PC's and sticking with
> my old G4 Mac for any Mac files we may get? Dunno if an 867 G4 will run
> OS 10.4 though.

It will, but slower than you may like for a production environment.
Maxing the RAM will help.
0
dave16 (4224)
8/19/2007 4:03:02 PM
In message, Elmo P. Shagnasty <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>Frankly, I present this as a man-bites-dog story.  But there you have
>it.  Plainly, it can be done in a high end, profitable commercial print
>operation.
You've clearly forgotten, young Elmo, that I was using 'ALL' PC's when I
used to post here apart from one token Mac, which I still have.

Indeed, I was using PC's for pubslashing before almost anyone else, at
least here, in the UK. My original Pentium 90 ran Quirk 3.1, Illy 4.1
and Photoslop 2.5 under Windoze 3.11 in a whopping **120MB RAM** when
most PC's ran with 16MB's. I doubt if more than a handful of people were
doing that back then.

Nowadays, there is precious little to choose between platforms other
than aesthetic and political choices. I won't deny I **PREFER** Macs,
but am more used to PC's and have almost zero experience of using OS 10x
in a prepress setting. If only OS 9.2 were still available and
rock-solidly multi-tasked. But that's another topic...

>Postscript is Postscript, a PPD is a PPD, therefore any Macintosh will
>happily set that up for you.

But it still needs a driver that is recognised by the OS, surely? Plus
the 7700 duplexes and has a webserver interface, both of which require
that the OS recognise these features and functions, which are quite
independent of the PS interpreter.

>CS3 won't even run the installer unless you have 2GB installed.
Really, that much? You mean the whole suite I take it, rather than just
InDesign or Photoshop?
--
Derek Tree
0
 Derek Tree <derek.tree@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:

> >Postscript is Postscript, a PPD is a PPD, therefore any Macintosh will
> >happily set that up for you.
>
> But it still needs a driver that is recognised by the OS, surely?

The PPD is all the information anything requires.  The OS has a built in
Postscript driver (just like OS 9), and you can happily feed it any
PPD--which *is* the detailed description of what the printer is.

Between the Postscript driver in the OS and the PPD supplied by the
manufacturer, you have absolutely everything required to drive that
printer fully.

> Plus
> the 7700 duplexes and has a webserver interface, both of which require
> that the OS recognise these features and functions, which are quite
> independent of the PS interpreter.

The web interface is just that--a web interface.  Is it on your network?
Then fire up a web browser and get to it.  That's independent of OS.

As for duplex, paper feed options, color control options, etc., all
those are described in--of all things--the PPD file ("PPD" stands for
"Postscript Printer Definition").  Once the OS-level Postscript driver
gets together with the printer-level PPD file that's supplied by the
manufacturer, everything is there.

You're thinking too much like an old Windows hand with this "but I need
a driver" thing.  And actually, even Adobe fixed this particular Windows
issue with its universal Postscript installer.  Just run the universal
Postscript printer installer, feed it the PPD, and it will set
everything up for you within whatever flavor of Windows you have.  No
need for a separate "Windows installer" for each and every Postscript
printer.  All the Postscript printer manufacturer needs to supply is a
simple PPD.

> >CS3 won't even run the installer unless you have 2GB installed.
> Really, that much? You mean the whole suite I take it, rather than just
> InDesign or Photoshop?

Yeah, the suite.

0
elmop (1209)
8/19/2007 5:37:27 PM
On Aug 19, 9:02 am, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <el...@nastydesigns.com>
wrote:
> CS3 won't even run the installer unless you have 2GB installed.

Make that 1GB. No need to make it worse than needs be.

We currently have it running at work with 1GB and it's fine if you
only have one or two apps running at a time. We're only playing with
it at the moment though, most all work is still in CS2.

I've been pushing to get more memory installed since before we got CS3
but I'm working for the government now and things move slowly...that'd
be the Queen's Printer in British Columbia for Del's edification - eh
wot? ;)

I've got it running at home on a AMD 3800+ dual core with 2GB and it
runs pretty well. If I was doing serious work I'd pump the ram up.

0
jono.moore (241)
8/19/2007 6:12:27 PM
On Aug 19, 7:13 am, Derek Tree <derek.t...@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:
> Right, greetings over, down to brass tacks. My early retirement plan has
> sadly fallen through and I find myself back at the coal face possessed
> of some pretty antideluvian equipment with which to earn a crust for the
> Tree family. So I'm looking for **SENSIBLE**, non-partisan advice,
> please on hardware and software.

Personally I'd stick with Windows XP (I wouldn't touch Vista). You can
still get more bang-for-buck going the PC route. The files are fully
cross-platform as long as you've got the fonts.

I never did like the OSX interface that much (and yes, I've used it
quite a lot) and fonts are still a pain if you are doing a lot of
workstation.

Also, there is the advantage of running Boot Camp for booting Windows
and Parallels or VMWare for running Windows virtualized on the
desktop--the best of both worlds.

I mostly run Ubuntu Linux at home these days and run Windows
virtualized and it works quite well. I only reboot to Windows if I
really need to.

0
jono.moore (241)
8/19/2007 6:22:13 PM
In message, Jono <jono.moore@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've got it running at home on a AMD 3800+ dual core with 2GB and it
>runs pretty well. If I was doing serious work I'd pump the ram up.

So RAM appears to be more important than outright processor speed then?
I can't say I'm surprised. But with RAM prices at around 25 squids per
GB I think I could stretch to installing 6GB. That should make it work
about half as fast as Quirk 4.11 I guess?
;-)))
--
Derek Tree
0
In message, <jono.moore@gmail.com> wrote:

>Personally I'd stick with Windows XP (I wouldn't touch Vista).
That's the conclusion I came to long ago. Bad as XP is in parts, Vista
is an unmitigated disaster as far as I can tell. It seems history is
repeating itself. Remember how awful XP was on release and how many
folks stuck to 2000 for ages?

> You can
>still get more bang-for-buck going the PC route
Indeed. That much is clear...
;-))

>I never did like the OSX interface that much
I confess I have to agree. Even though I only use it at home I much
prefer OS 9.

Thanks for advice, Jono.
--
Derek Tree
0
Derek Tree <derek.tree@spamnull.co.uk> wrote in

Well, well, well. Look who the felid dragged in.

Sorry to hear about your retirement situation. Hope the opportunity
arises again.

> Hi Allen,
>
> In message, Allen Wessels <awessels@EXPUNGEpacbell.net> wrote:
>>Welcome back Derek.  Sorry about the circumstances.
> Aw, no biggie. At least I'll be helping to pay for more foreign
> excursions by our esteemed government...
> ;-))
>
>>What are you going to be doing on these machine?
> Design and publishing for offset litho. Same as before. Main job is a
> 60pp 4c monthly magazine. We also hope to pick up some general design
> work, ads, brochures, etc. Output to either device-dependant PS files
or
> pre-press ready PDF.

I do much the same (plus Photography) on wintel and CS2 (CS3 has some
issues. Got it installed, rarely use it.) The biggest source of cross-
platform headaches are fonts still. On the magazine, you can solve the
problem by requiring PDF x/1a for completed ads or if you are required to
build them, outlined logos and such.

General design work is a seperate fight. PDF solves pretty much any
problem with your output folks, but you will get lots of people sending
you stuff requiring Mac fonts. Now, the Mac version of CS will use any PC
font, so that's a plus for that route.

Though, truthfully, the biggest problem I have with submissions these
days is the steady decline of people making sure they have something
useful. People who won't pay pros, dealers that will scan a catalog or a
business card instead of getting the info for the web site with a
manufacturer's agency-produced art, idiots who can't use the point and
shoot cameras they imagine will produce pro-grade images, and M$ users.

And forget PS files altogether. PDF is sleeker and more reliable these
days.

<snip>

> In which case I may be better off getting 2 new PC's and sticking with
> my old G4 Mac for any Mac files we may get? Dunno if an 867 G4 will run
> OS 10.4 though. I also have a G4 powerbook which prolly would run OS
> 10.4.

Either would help. You could keep some software on the laptop for
outlining fonts you can't use on your PCs, and similar annoyances.

0
ericvgill (473)
8/19/2007 7:02:28 PM
In article <Xns99918F8ED22C9ericvgillyahoocom@208.49.82.28>,
 Eric Gill <ericvgill@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Though, truthfully, the biggest problem I have with submissions these
> days is the steady decline of people making sure they have something
> useful. People who won't pay pros, dealers that will scan a catalog or a
> business card instead of getting the info for the web site with a
> manufacturer's agency-produced art, idiots who can't use the point and
> shoot cameras they imagine will produce pro-grade images, and M$ users.

This is news?

0
elmop (1209)
8/19/2007 7:08:48 PM
In article <+Fdp7eTxwIyGFw1b@nonone.noonehere.com>,
 "D. Tree Esq" <del@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:

> >I've got it running at home on a AMD 3800+ dual core with 2GB and it
> >runs pretty well. If I was doing serious work I'd pump the ram up.
>
> So RAM appears to be more important than outright processor speed then?

It's a balance, not necessarily an issue of one over the other.

If either one is insufficient, you'll suffer--no matter how much you
overcompensate on the other side.

0
elmop (1209)
8/19/2007 7:10:38 PM
<del@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:

> So RAM appears to be more important than outright processor speed then?

Combination of. A slower processor will definitely benefit from more
RAM, but a faster processor AND more RAM is A Good Thing.
0
dave16 (4224)
8/19/2007 7:40:47 PM
In message <190820071340472867%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>, Dave
Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote
>In article <+Fdp7eTxwIyGFw1b@nonone.noonehere.com>, D. Tree Esq
><del@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> So RAM appears to be more important than outright processor speed then?
>
>Combination of. A slower processor will definitely benefit from more
>RAM, but a faster processor AND more RAM is A Good Thing.

As every Ewe knows...
;-)))
--
Derek Tree
0
Shagnasty <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote
>In article <+Fdp7eTxwIyGFw1b@nonone.noonehere.com>,
> "D. Tree Esq" <del@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> >I've got it running at home on a AMD 3800+ dual core with 2GB and it
>> >runs pretty well. If I was doing serious work I'd pump the ram up.
>>
>> So RAM appears to be more important than outright processor speed then?
>
>It's a balance, not necessarily an issue of one over the other.
>
>If either one is insufficient, you'll suffer--no matter how much you
>overcompensate on the other side.

Yep, got that Elmo. I said I was old, not senile.
;-)))
--
Derek Tree
0
Shagnasty <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote
>In article <Xns99918F8ED22C9ericvgillyahoocom@208.49.82.28>,
> Eric Gill <ericvgill@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Though, truthfully, the biggest problem I have with submissions these
>> days is the steady decline of people making sure they have something
>> useful. People who won't pay pros, dealers that will scan a catalog or a
>> business card instead of getting the info for the web site with a
>> manufacturer's agency-produced art, idiots who can't use the point and
>> shoot cameras they imagine will produce pro-grade images, and M$ users.
>
>This is news?

I see you're still provoking the inmates, Elmo. I'm sure that all Eric
meant was that the tide of crap is ever-increasing. As such, it is news
for those of us who have been a bit out of the loop of late.
--
Derek Tree
0
Derek Tree <derek.tree@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:

Buy one Mac Pro and two iMacs.

Use the Mac Pro with tons of ram for your photoshop work and use an iMac
for regular page layout. Turn the other iMac into a server or utility
scanning box.

Register with Adobe as a service provider and get a cheap copy of CS and
buy one for the other box.

Since you can boot the Mac's to windows now (and not vice versa) go with
the Mac. You also can use your legacy pc fonts with the Mac version.

But I'll confess that a professional of your experience could get the
job done with anything. It's not the hammer, it's the carpenter that
gets the job done.

It's really about personal prefs.

In my case the 20,000+ mac font library keeps me connected to the mac.

You might have a similar thing to keep in mind for windows.
0
leeb (1197)
8/19/2007 10:20:06 PM
On Aug 19, 11:30 am, "D. Tree Esq" <d...@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:
> So RAM appears to be more important than outright processor speed then?

I'd definitely say more RAM for heavy work.

I just did a test on my home rig, opening Illustrator/Photoshop/
InDesign/Acrobat registered a total commit charge (according to task
manager) of about 510mb - that was with no documents open, just the
applications.

0
jono.moore (241)
8/20/2007 1:43:54 AM
In article <QM+yJGP9YGyGFwRY@nonone.noonehere.com>,
 Derek Tree <derek.tree@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:

> >Shooting from the hip, I'm thinking you may want both a Mac and a PC.
> In which case I may be better off getting 2 new PC's and sticking with
> my old G4 Mac for any Mac files we may get? Dunno if an 867 G4 will run
> OS 10.4 though. I also have a G4 powerbook which prolly would run OS
> 10.4.

10.4 should be fine on that machine.  I'm running it on a dual 867.  I'd
throw a bunch of RAM at it though.  Check the Apple support site to be
certain about the 10.4 compatibility.

I'd get display calibrators with the new screens.

- Allen
0
awessels1 (257)
8/20/2007 2:03:50 AM
D. Tree Esq wrote:
> So RAM appears to be more important than outright processor speed then?
> I can't say I'm surprised. But with RAM prices at around 25 squids per
> GB I think I could stretch to installing 6GB. That should make it work
> about half as fast as Quirk 4.11 I guess?
> ;-)))

Interesting limitations concerning memory on Windows machines:

On 8/19/07 10:48 AM, Derek Tree commented:

> Hi Allen,
>
> In message, Allen Wessels <awessels@EXPUNGEpacbell.net> wrote:
>> Welcome back Derek.  Sorry about the circumstances.
> Aw, no biggie. At least I'll be helping to pay for more foreign
> excursions by our esteemed government...
> ;-))
>
>> What are you going to be doing on these machine?
> Design and publishing for offset litho. Same as before. Main job is a
> 60pp 4c monthly magazine. We also hope to pick up some general design
> work, ads, brochures, etc. Output to either device-dependant PS files or
> pre-press ready PDF.
>
>> taking in files?
> Only Word, PP and possibly Microserf Pubslasher.
>
>> Will you be providing files in native format?  PDF?
> Nope, just PS or PDF as I said above.
>
>> Shooting from the hip, I'm thinking you may want both a Mac and a PC.
> In which case I may be better off getting 2 new PC's and sticking with
> my old G4 Mac for any Mac files we may get? Dunno if an 867 G4 will run
> OS 10.4 though. I also have a G4 powerbook which prolly would run OS
> 10.4.
> --
> Derek Tree

Hi Derek, I'm not an old friend like many others, but I loved and misssed
your posts here. Selfishly, I'm glad to have you back. You always brought a
smile.

For my two cents, I'd the think newish Intel Macs would fill the bill since
they can run Windoze, two machines in one. As using an old G4 for any period
of time for design, well, I'm doubtful. I haven't rad all the replies yet,
but know you're getting more professional advise than mine.

inez (still suffering with ancient equipment and apps)

0
nezmyth1 (44)
8/20/2007 7:59:25 AM
In message, the unfortunately named 'Fishface' <invalid@ddress.ok?>
wrote
>Interesting limitations concerning memory on Windows machines:
>http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

Indeedy. Thanks for the link. I admit that I was surprised by the limits
in XP and even more so in Vista, given the ballyhoo surrounding it's
development as the best thing since the invention of the soft-brimmed
hat.

That alone would seriously push me towards Mac Pros, for which I assume
no such paltry limits apply?

One would think that Mr Gates would have twigged by now that **some**
folks actually try to do serious photoshopping and rendering on his
boxes? But then again it explains why so many use Windows server, for
which the limits are much higher.
--
Derek Tree
0
In message, inez wrote:
>Hi Derek, I'm not an old friend like many others, but I loved and misssed
>your posts here. Selfishly, I'm glad to have you back. You always brought a
>smile.

Oh tish and pish, Inez. I remember you very well. Anyone who can stick
it out on here for more than a year is an 'old timer' IMV.
In any event, you are a lady and the more ladies who contribute the less
opportunity the boys have to throw hissy fits when one of then takes
exception to their pet theory being criticized.
;-)))

>For my two cents, I'd the think newish Intel Macs would fill the bill since
>they can run Windoze, two machines in one.

I am leaning in that direction. It is only price that puts me off since
I can get PC boxes built for peanuts. But one gets what one pays for.
There is no question that the Mac Pro is in an altogether different
league to all but the most exclusive PC's. And, of course, it's so very
pretty!

>As using an old G4 for any period
>of time for design, well, I'm doubtful.
I figured that I could use the old G4 867 for backup. I'm assuming that
OS 10.4 will talk to, and network OK with OS 9.2? Other than that I have
an old Umax flatbed attached to the G4 which works perfectly for those
few occasions I need to scan something in. I know the scanner will *NOT*
work with Windoze XP and doubtful if it would work with OS 10.4. FWIW,
it's a Umax Powerlook 1120 driven by Binuscan Photoperfect.

>inez (still suffering with ancient equipment and apps)
Well...if it works. I think you know my views on the upgrade treadmill
that we are all tied to. Currently I manage very well with Quirk 4.11,
Photoshop 6 and Illy 8. The only real issue is Quirk not accepting
anything higher than PDF 1.3. I still think 4.11 was the most reliable
iteration of Quirk ever.

How old is your kit? I'm tempted to keep at least one of my PC's. It's a
P4 3.0 GHZ with 2GB RAM running XP Pro SP2. Photoshop 6.0 flies on it
even working with 200MB A3 images. I'm not at all sure how quick PS CS3
would be on a Mac Pro. Mind you, there are many features in the later
versions of Photoshop I miss which I know would vastly improve
productivity. Ditto for Indy over Quirk 4.11.

Best wishes and thanks for your help.
--
Derek Tree
0
On Aug 19, 2:35 pm, "D. Tree Esq" <d...@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:
> In message, <jono.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Personally I'd stick with Windows XP (I wouldn't touch Vista).
>
> That's the conclusion I came to long ago. Bad as XP is in parts, Vista
> is an unmitigated disaster as far as I can tell. It seems history is
> repeating itself. Remember how awful XP was on release and how many
> folks stuck to 2000 for ages?
>
> > You can
> >still get more bang-for-buck going the PC route
>
> Indeed. That much is clear...

However, that bang is quieted somewhat by the architectural
limitations if one uses Windows. Series of posts about how a person
wanted to store apps on a RAM drive on a Windows box so that they
could be quickly re-started since leaving all apps open as most Mac
users do wasn't an option.

> >I never did like the OSX interface that much
>
> I confess I have to agree. Even though I only use it at home I much
> prefer OS 9.

One can pretty much configure Mac OS X to mimic OS 9's appearance and
behaviour if desired --- you really should take the time to learn all
the possibilities though, it affords a lot of niceties which make for
very productive use.

William

0
willadams (1425)
8/20/2007 11:46:17 AM
Recently, Derek Tree <derek.tree@spamnull.co.uk> posted:

> What ho, pre-pressers! Long time no post, or view, come to that. No
> doubt some of you will remember me as I see that many of same crowd
> are **STILL** here after all these years. Grettings to Aandi, Ted,
> Lee, Allen...well, to you all, not forgetting Mr Shagnasty, who I am
> gratified can still find something to say after all this time.
>
> Right, greetings over, down to brass tacks. My early retirement plan
> has sadly fallen through and I find myself back at the coal face
> possessed of some pretty antideluvian equipment with which to earn a
> crust for the Tree family. So I'm looking for **SENSIBLE**,
> non-partisan advice, please on hardware and software.

Good to hear from you, Del, even if only under the duress of having to
return to the life of the worker bees.

Sorry that I can't offer you any wise advice beyond the obvious regarding
new workstations. Like you, I also dislike XP immensely. My dabbling with
Vista is limited to a laptop belonging to my wife, but that is enough to
say that my shop will not be running that dog of an OS (I'm the resident
IT person and this OS is grief-in-a-box). AFAIC, it brings nothing to the
table for those of us doing content creation. Sadly, if one wants to run
CS3 on a PC, the choice is between XP and Vista. I'd choose XP simply
because it's cheap and about as good as it will ever be.

I am also in the unfortunate position of considering hardware "upgrades",
and have considered going the Mac route. However, my particular field of
work is not very Mac-friendly w/r/t the apps that I must run to support
clients and so forth.

FWIW, I don't think that performance is much of an issue with either
platform. Down-time due to thinking (wetware), customer reflections, and
other such drags on productivity still far exceeds losses to system
inefficiencies.

Good luck, and do let us know what you finally settle on buying.

Neil

0
neil9133 (816)
8/20/2007 2:25:18 PM
On 8/20/07 3:57 AM, D. Tree Esq commented:

> In message, inez wrote:
>> Hi Derek, I'm not an old friend like many others, but I loved and misssed
>> your posts here. Selfishly, I'm glad to have you back. You always brought a
>> smile.
>
> Oh tish and pish, Inez. I remember you very well. Anyone who can stick
> it out on here for more than a year is an 'old timer' IMV.
> In any event, you are a lady and the more ladies who contribute the less
> opportunity the boys have to throw hissy fits when one of then takes
> exception to their pet theory being criticized.
> ;-)))

Lady!?! Why, thank you. I'm more in the "old broad" class, but I appreciate
the compliment;)

>> For my two cents, I'd the think newish Intel Macs would fill the bill since
>> they can run Windoze, two machines in one.
>
> I am leaning in that direction. It is only price that puts me off since
> I can get PC boxes built for peanuts. But one gets what one pays for.
> There is no question that the Mac Pro is in an altogether different
> league to all but the most exclusive PC's. And, of course, it's so very
> pretty!

I'd sell my soul for a Pro, but unfortunately my soul doesn't seem to be
worth much;)

>> As using an old G4 for any period
>> of time for design, well, I'm doubtful.
> I figured that I could use the old G4 867 for backup. I'm assuming that
> OS 10.4 will talk to, and network OK with OS 9.2? Other than that I have
> an old Umax flatbed attached to the G4 which works perfectly for those
> few occasions I need to scan something in. I know the scanner will *NOT*
> work with Windoze XP and doubtful if it would work with OS 10.4. FWIW,
> it's a Umax Powerlook 1120 driven by Binuscan Photoperfect.

>> inez (still suffering with ancient equipment and apps)
> Well...if it works. I think you know my views on the upgrade treadmill
> that we are all tied to. Currently I manage very well with Quirk 4.11,
> Photoshop 6 and Illy 8. The only real issue is Quirk not accepting
> anything higher than PDF 1.3. I still think 4.11 was the most reliable
> iteration of Quirk ever.
>
> How old is your kit? I'm tempted to keep at least one of my PC's. It's a
> P4 3.0 GHZ with 2GB RAM running XP Pro SP2. Photoshop 6.0 flies on it
> even working with 200MB A3 images. I'm not at all sure how quick PS CS3
> would be on a Mac Pro. Mind you, there are many features in the later
> versions of Photoshop I miss which I know would vastly improve
> productivity. Ditto for Indy over Quirk 4.11.

Oh my. We're almost matched with the big exception that I'm stuck with about
the 2nd G4 model, a 350-Yikes. I maxed it out with 1GB RAM, but it can't
even take advantage of all that. I'm using QXP 4.11, PS 6.0.2, Illy 9.0.3,
Acrobat/Distiller 4. I'm glad I stuck with 4.11, but I would love to keep
this box alive for it and other old apps but add a Pro to move up to 7.x and
the CS3 Design package. I like versitility and diversity and am
anti-monopoly. If I decided to run Windoze I'd add Exression to my arsenal
off tools. I HATE that MS stopped development for Mac when they bought the
app from CreatureHouse, but I love and use the free beta version I have.

I don't think you can run in Classic mode with the Pros, which steams me. I
doubt, but don't know, if you can select a spearate startup drive to run OS
9.x. Anyone know? But OS 10.4 had better be able to recognize and deal with
OS 9.x files.

OS X is pretty and fast, but it doesn't feel like my old *foolproof* Mac
OS:\

Now, I have to read all these replies to pick up some tips for myself, even
if it is wishful thinking;)

inez

0
nezmyth1 (44)
8/20/2007 3:10:26 PM
On Aug 20, 11:10 am, inez <nezm...@no.thank.you> wrote:
> I don't think you can run in Classic mode with the Pros, which steams me.

It's been _years_ since Mac OS 9 was last released / up-dated. If you
need Classic, be sure to track down a PowerPC machine.

> doubt, but don't know, if you can select a spearate startup drive to run OS
> 9.x. Anyone know?

Not on anything released since they stopped supporting Mac OS 9 has a
stand-alone OS.

One could install Basilisk or vMac and use a full emulator if one has
a ROM and OS 9 (or earlier) license to spare I believe --- I've been
meaning to look into that myself.

It's really a shame that the ARDI folks couldn't've kept Executor
alive until now, when there was finally a market for it.

> But OS 10.4 had better be able to recognize and deal with
> OS 9.x files.

It does do that fine, whether on Intel or PowerPC, so long as there's
an app installed which can handle the files in question.

The really funny / ironic thing is that Apple is still using
FrameMaker v6 to produce their manuals --- even for the brand-new
Numbers.app (which I _really_ wish did dynamic reformatting of
spreadsheets like Lotus Improv / Lighthouse Design's Quantrix do).

William

0
willadams (1425)
8/20/2007 6:07:33 PM
In article <YJ2gIwXcdVyGFwA$@nonone.noonehere.com>, "D. Tree Esq"
<del@spamnull.co.uk> wrote:

> I figured that I could use the old G4 867 for backup. I'm assuming that
> OS 10.4 will talk to, and network OK with OS 9.2?

Not beyond OS 10.4.8 it won't.
Any file over 100k from OS 9.2 --> OS X causes the server to shut down.
I've reverted to 10.4.2

See
http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-69583.html
or Google "network problems after 10.4.9"

DB-W
0
byram9297 (17)
8/20/2007 7:56:04 PM
"Derek Tree" <derek.tree@spamnull.co.uk> wrote in message
> What ho, pre-pressers! Long time no post, or view, come to that. No doubt
> some of you will remember me as I see that many of same crowd are
> **STILL** here after all these years. Grettings to Aandi, Ted, Lee,
> Allen...well, to you all, not forgetting Mr Shagnasty, who I am gratified
> can still find something to say after all this time.
>
> Right, greetings over, down to brass tacks. My early retirement plan has
> sadly fallen through and I find myself back at the coal face possessed of
> some pretty antideluvian equipment with which to earn a crust for the Tree
> family. So I'm looking for **SENSIBLE**, non-partisan advice, please on
> hardware and software.

Back atcha, Del. We had a similar ... both of us just got fatter and poorer,
so we both took wage-slave jobs.

> Specifically, I need 2 new workstations and need to upgrade from Quirk
> 4.11, AI8 and Photoslop 6.
> For obvious reasons, CS3 seems to be the most cost-effective and
> productive way to go so far as layout, illustration and image manipulation
> tools are concerned. Acrobat and Pitstop will also need updating to the
> latest versions.

I've heard rumors that the new version of Acrobat Pro will offer many of the
features of Pitstop. Any confirmations out there?

<snipped>

> Any advice and suggestions would be most gratefully received.
> --
> Derek Tree

Go into honest work: drug dealing, white slavery, etc. More profitable,
shorter hours and better benefits. <g>

Peggy

0
pjcoquet1 (75)

Mac to mac

Help! iSync mac to mac

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Just happened. Kind of weird. -- Arf! Old CSMAer Nice! At work I'm stuck on Windows, plus at home my roommate and girlfrield both use Windows. Good thing is I have my ibook at work and both my roommate and gf are getting Macs after their Dell's are paid off. They use Mac's at work and see how my PowerMac at home works while their PeeCee's hose daily. They hate Windows now :) So i'm getting there :) Alex "OldCSMAer" <olddog@kennelsINVALID.com> wrote in message news:olddog-F4AC87.15141003082005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com... >I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free > world: > > My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and > urologist are all Mac. No PCs. > > Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac > (no surprise there). > > My dau...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at l...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 361993718603049801070734...

mac to mac connection
Hi, PBG3 400 OS 10.3 I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? thanks indeed Chris Brown Neurosurgery University of Adelaide In article <400da705$1@yorrell.saard.net>, Chris Brown <cbrown@medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote: > Hi, > > > PBG3 400 OS 10.3 > > I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, > and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, > but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect > to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. > > I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe > that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. > > Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? > > > thanks indeed > > Chris Brown > Neurosurgery > University of Adelaide > Chris, things won't necessarily connect automagically. First, you have to turn on "File Sharing" on both machines. If you have an OS 9 box, when y...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

change mac address get mac address spoofing mac address find computer by mac address
Mac Address Spoofing Report Victor J. Canny D. Abstract: Mac address can uniquely identifies each node of a network, ISPs and network administrators use mac address to manage their pc users. PC users may want to spoof mac address so that he need not to contact with ISP for a new network interface card (NIC); PC users may want to hide his mac address so that totally hide his information on the internet. Introduction Mac address, short for Media Access Control address, is a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. It means, in a local area network (LAN) or oth...

Anyone got Mac classic Mac emulation running well on their Intel Mac?
Despite switching to DOSBox and VMware's Fusion with WinXP to handle my classic gaming needs, there are still a bunch of classic MacOS games I'm desperate to run on my Intel Mac. I've tried and failed to get Ballisk and SheepShaver running. Mini vMac runs but has a nasty, nasty habbit of corrupting disk images opened in both it and OSX. *sigh* Has anyone had any sucess? Why is classic Mac emulation so way behind other emulation efforts? With Amiga emulation running it's surprising classic Mac emulation is so far behind :-( TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you&...

WakeOnLAN Mac to Mac over the net?
My mother's trusty 4+ year old iMac G5 is starting to have heat issues (Northbridge over 180� F with occasional kernel panics), so we've configured it to sleep when not in use. So I wanted to see if I could get Wake On LAN working over the net, but so far haven't had success. The computer is connected directly to a cable modem - no router, and has the OS X firewall turned on. The System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter > Options > Wake for Ethernet administrator access checkbox is checked. I have an Airport Extreme on my end, which doesn't do any ...

Is .mac and back to my mac on topic?
If it is, I'll post a message about them. -- Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP. Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote: > If it is, I'll post a message about them. LOL! Oh, and IMO, yes. -- <http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts <http://designsbymike.net/election.shtml> Election 2008 goods. <http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi> Prius shirts/bumper stickers <http://designsbymike.net/shop/greet.cgi> Holiday cards with attitude In article <1igqml2.90lqaz1h7auzpN%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.co...

No Mac Help in Mac Help?
When I go to Mac Help in Finder (latest version of OSX Tiger) I get nothing. The window pops up but it's blank. Click on the little house and the initial screen fills in but nothing beyond that. I had a simiar problem with Safari help some time back and someone suggested I remove a folder from Library/Caches, (com.apple.helpui or something similar) and that did the trick for Safari's help. I honestly don't recall if I've ever had the Mac Help or I've just never used it since this machine. The problem happens on or offline so I'm not sure where the Mac Help file resides. I've tried re-installing the original OSX Tiger that came with the machine (G4 Powerbook) but it won't allow me to since I've upgraded to the latest version. The documentation that came with the OSX is more of an advertising brochure than anything that resembles help text. Any suggestions. Could the help file be online somewhere for download? Thanks in advance! In article <1136142925.043876.315910@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, babalooixnay@hotmail.com wrote: > When I go to Mac Help in Finder (latest version of OSX Tiger) I get > nothing. The window pops up but it's blank. Throw away ~/Library/Cashes/com.apple.helpui/. Also see: http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2005/qa1409.html The page pretends it is uncommon, but apparemntly it is not. -- Hans Aberg Mine just did this tonight. While this work-around did bring back the home page of the...

Mac and non Mac Partition
Hello, I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable stup. The problem for instance in a Fat16 partion the mac write some "._blahblah" files. And some player doesn't like these file and get frozen. I have to plug the player (or it's memory card) to a Pc, the remove these file in order to make it working. Is there a way to avoid this ? Thanks John In article <4a4cc7f2$0$12658$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, John <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable ...

[OT] A Mac emulator for... Mac. ;-)
The Mac on Linux emulator now has a native Mac port of the software. It still isn't as 'user friendly' as typical Mac applications are (i.e. you have to use disk utility to create disk images) and there's no Tiger support yet (either as host or guest), but on the flip side I hear it gets pretty good performance and with support hopefully they can get those usability and Tiger issues fixed. :-) In addition to running Mac OS X, it also allows developers to run Classic Mac OS and PPC Linux under emulation. This also makes me wonder what options would be ava...

Office:Mac / Intel Macs
Hi everybody. Please forgive me if this material has been previously covered. However, I would like to get some information from trustworthy sources, and I think this is one place to start. Basically, I am wondering about the performance of Office:Mac on Intel Macs (in Rosetta). Is it responsive? Please let me know how it runs, with as much detail is warranted. I'm considering an Intel Mac, but there's no way I'm going to buy one if I have to use my PowerPC MS Office in emulation that slogs along. Thanks much for your help. Brad wrote: > Hi everybody. > > Please forgive me if this material has been previously covered. > However, I would like to get some information from trustworthy sources, > and I think this is one place to start. > > Basically, I am wondering about the performance of Office:Mac on Intel > Macs (in Rosetta). > > Is it responsive? > > Please let me know how it runs, with as much detail is warranted. I'm > considering an Intel Mac, but there's no way I'm going to buy one if I > have to use my PowerPC MS Office in emulation that slogs along. > > Thanks much for your help. I have Office:Mac 2004 on a MacBook Pro (1.83/15"/1 Gig Ram). Word and Excel seem to work fine, though they are a bit slower launching than they are on my PowerMac G5/2.0 or on my iMac G5/2.0. My only complaint is about PowerPoint. Powerpoint 2004 is much slower on both my G5s than PowerpointX was. This is...

Moving a User from Mac to Mac...
I currently have two old Macs...let's call them my MAIN Mac (a G4 running Tiger) and my OTHER Mac (early Intel iMac also running Tiger). And, I'm about to purchase a NEW Mac. (3 Macs...MAIN, OTHER and NEW) What I'd like to do is move virtually everything (user accounts, applications, settings, documents, etc.) from my current MAIN Mac to my NEW Mac. I've never actually done this before, but I believe, on initial install of the NEW Mac, the Mac OS actually asks if you want to do just this. Question#1: If the above is true, what cable is required during the install process whe...

MAC vs MAC+PHY
What's the difference? -- Randy Yates Digital Signal Labs http://www.digitalsignallabs.com On Sun, 18 May 2014 19:44:19 -0400, Randy Yates <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> wrote: >What's the difference? One is just a MAC, and needs a separate PHY, the other does both? Think of the MAC has a higher level, dealing with frames, and the PHY as dealing with the , *ahem*, physical layer - encoding, signaling, etc. In a 10mb Ethernet implementation you might use the same MAC for 10base-5, 10base-2, 10base-T or 10base-F, but (obviously) would need a different phys...

Phyless MAC to MAC connection
I am on a project where we have an ethernet interface between an MPC8270 with a Wintegra 787 using a phyless MAC-to-MAC connection. On the MPC8270 we are using an FCC for this. I am using VxWorks 5.5 for this project. Can anyone tell me if I need to change VxWorks End Driver to make this happen. From what I understand currently, when the End Driver is initialized there is no initialization string which can indicate that there is no PHY out there. Has anyone implemented this before? Thanks, - Manish M Trojan wrote: > I am on a project where we have an ethernet interface between ...

Component Macs (was upmarket macs)
MR_ED_of_Course <OhNoSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<BBE47A10.28558%OhNoSPAM@pacbell.net>... > >> It was > >> very much an open computer at a time when the trend was to produced closed > >> computers. Of course the original Mac was a major change in direction for > >> Apple, but that was to serve a large market segment. > > > > by modular I meant component-wise modularity, even more than what > > Wintel has to offer. > > > > The G5 is basically a monolithic beast. Good luck upgrading the DVD > > drive, adding two more optical drives, or pulling out the DVD and > > using it in another Mac. > > The DVD drive bay is easy enough to access in the G5. No problem whatsoever > to replace the drive with a 8x DVD+-R/RW (at least when they drop in price:) I've pulled plenty of optical drives out of G3's and G4's, and while it wasn't terribly difficult it wasn't a piece of cake, either. Apple tends to customize the mountings in idiosyncratic ways, making switchouts... interesting. With the thermal isolation zones, IMO Apple should just break the tower design into its component parts to allow for greater customization and spec out. > The existing DVD drive in the G5 can be put in any ATA/IDE Mac with a CD/DVD > drive bay. Not G4 iMacs. I've done that too. > I have a Dual G4 1.42GHz and one reason why I did not upgrade to the G5 is > becau...

Media Mac, HTPC Mac
I'm going to write an article in MacWorld about connecting a Mac to your TV in a fashion where mouse and keyboard is not part of the interface. I wanted to see if any of you guys think I've missed anything here, in the basic setup of the article: Hardware Mac mini TV Remote Controls ATI Remote Wonder Keyspan Express / Digital Remote IRTrans (IR Receiver) Apple Remote Salling Clicker Xbox 360 EyeTV EyeHome Software iRed (for IRTrans) Connect360 (for connection to Xbox 360) Menufela (to hide menu bar) Menushade (to dim menubar) Frontends Frontrow EyeTV MediaCentral iTheater Just to mention, it's alpha MythTV Just to mention, it's an advanced setup Focus Settings in the OS Energy saver off Screensaver off Bluetooth auto-connect off Automatic software update oss Auto login Restart at power failure Don't play DVD videos automatically EPG settings for EyeTV in Sweden Background images Applescript/Automator to set up actions such as "Watch DVD". Something I've forgotten? It's going to be a 6-page article, so there is always room for more. :) And for you Windows fans - yes, I know that Windows Media Center does all of the above out of the box. The Mac most certainly isn't there yet, and the headline of the article is probably going to be somethi...

Only Mac fanbois buy Macs
=95 Half of Apple Retail Store Mac buyers were new to Mac hehe "jdear" wrote in message news:c44afc6b-2274-4130-a12d-5535d5e6875a@glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com... >� Half of Apple Retail Store Mac buyers were new to Mac >hehe The link is broke. ...

Web resources about - To Mac or not to Mac? - comp.publish.prepress

Anvil for Mac
Anvil takes your site folder, gives it a .dev URL and makes it run for you. Works for any static HTML sites and Rack apps. I thought this was ...

Celebrate the Mac
Great site put together by Jonathan Zufi, the man behind the Iconic book.

Cult of Mac - Breaking news for Apple fans
The weekend hasn’t arrived quite yet, as Apple has quietly pushed out a revised build of iOS 5.1.1 for the GSM iPhone 4 (AT&T). The update (Build ...

Mac and Apple News, Tips, Help and Reviews - The Mac Observer
Daily news, opinions, editorials, reviews, tips, help, forums, comments, and podcasts all relating to the Mac, Apple, the iPod, the iPhone, and ...

MacVoices - The Talk of the Mac Community
Adam Engst and Chuck Joiner got to do one of their favorite things when they made a virtual visit to the Chicago Apple User Group for a MacNotables ...

Useful Mac
New website by Garrett Murray. Already a winner by introducing me to this gem of a Safari extension .

File:Freddie Mac.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The image is placed in the infobox at the top of the article discussing Freddie Mac, a subject of public interest. The significance of the logo ...

Apple Macs hit by first known ransomware attack
... have long enjoyed. For the first time, security experts say, a dangerous form of software called "ransomware" has successfully targeted a Mac ...

Microsoft continues its Mac assault in new Surface Book ad highlighting pen + touch
... with its ‘Peace on Earth’ performance in front of the 5th Ave Apple Store in New York City, but a new year means a new chance to target Macs ...