Used fonts in Indesign that are not really used

This is an odd glitch that I have come across twice now in the last two
weeks.

When I package Indesign CS documents, it includes fonts (in both cases a
variant of Tahoma) that it claims are used somewhere in the document.

However, this font is not used anywhere.

If I try & replace the font with another, it still remains there.
If I look at further details, it says:
Character Count - 0
Page - None

Now if I delete every text box from the document it goes, but never
until the last box has been deleted, no matter which box that is.

If I try & find & replace it, it doesn't find anything.

Now in one document it is on the first page, but in the other it doesn't
appear untill about page 68.

Any suggestions what causes the appearance of this ghost font, or how to
get rid of it from the document?

--
Matthew Taylor
www.mtaylor.co.uk

In article <KrOdnRGfM9DoUrPeRVnyiA@pipex.net>, Matthew Taylor
<matthew.DONOTSPAM@NOSPAM.mtaylor.co.uk> wrote:

> Any suggestions what causes the appearance of this ghost font, or how to
> get rid of it from the document?

Is it used in a paragraph or character style?

--
September 19 is International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
Just Do It.
Dave Balderstone wrote:
> In article <KrOdnRGfM9DoUrPeRVnyiA@pipex.net>, Matthew Taylor
> <matthew.DONOTSPAM@NOSPAM.mtaylor.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Any suggestions what causes the appearance of this ghost font, or how to
>>get rid of it from the document?
>

> Is it used in a paragraph or character style?

I considered this, but in one of the documents where this is happening,
there are no paragraph or character styles set up (it is just a layout
for some letterhead paper, so only two text boxes)

--
Matthew Taylor
www.mtaylor.co.uk

> Dave Balderstone wrote:
>> In article <KrOdnRGfM9DoUrPeRVnyiA@pipex.net>, Matthew Taylor
>> <matthew.DONOTSPAM@NOSPAM.mtaylor.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Any suggestions what causes the appearance of this ghost font, or
>>> how to get rid of it from the document?
>>
>> Is it used in a paragraph or character style?
>>

> I considered this, but in one of the documents where this is
> happening, there are no paragraph or character styles set up (it is
> just a layout for some letterhead paper, so only two text boxes)

What font is use when you start typing into those text boxes?

Neil

0
neil9133 (816)
9/19/2005 7:50:18 PM
Neil Gould wrote:

>>I considered this, but in one of the documents where this is
>>happening, there are no paragraph or character styles set up (it is
>>just a layout for some letterhead paper, so only two text boxes)
>>

> What font is use when you start typing into those text boxes?

What? you mean when I create a new text box & start typing? - Minion Pro
(Not Tahoma).

Interestingly, although Indesign lists the font, if I create a PDF it
does not appear in the list of fonts in the PDF.

--
Matthew Taylor
www.mtaylor.co.uk
www.elginism.com
Use find font, but hit "change all" instead of just "change", if that
does not work export to inx. reopen the inx file.
Jay
0
jaychevako (15)
9/19/2005 10:49:06 PM
Why is this a problem? I am sure whoever has to output your work will not
call and say you sent a font that we can find no place to use. I have had
customers that could not figure out how to collect only the fonts needed for
their current job so just sent every font they own. Having to sift threw 300
fonts to get the 5 you need sucks! Nobody that had to output the file would
want that but considering how many of our customer can't manage to send the
ones that they actually use I really would have no issue if somebody sent
one or two extra fonts. I say don't worry about it.
Joe

"Matthew Taylor" <matthew.DONOTSPAM@NOSPAM.mtaylor.co.uk> wrote in message
> This is an odd glitch that I have come across twice now in the last two
> weeks.
>
> When I package Indesign CS documents, it includes fonts (in both cases a
> variant of Tahoma) that it claims are used somewhere in the document.
>
> However, this font is not used anywhere.
>
> If I try & replace the font with another, it still remains there.
> If I look at further details, it says:
> Character Count - 0
> Page - None
>
> Now if I delete every text box from the document it goes, but never until
> the last box has been deleted, no matter which box that is.
>
> If I try & find & replace it, it doesn't find anything.
>
> Now in one document it is on the first page, but in the other it doesn't
> appear untill about page 68.
>
> Any suggestions what causes the appearance of this ghost font, or how to
> get rid of it from the document?
>

> --
> Matthew Taylor
> www.mtaylor.co.uk
> www.elginism.com

0
NOSPAM3879 (168)
9/19/2005 11:54:29 PM
jay Chevako wrote:
> Use find font, but hit "change all" instead of just "change", if that
> does not work export to inx. reopen the inx file.
> Jay

I've tried that - it doesn't make any difference.

--
Matthew Taylor
www.mtaylor.co.uk
Joe wrote:
> Why is this a problem? I am sure whoever has to output your work will not
> call and say you sent a font that we can find no place to use. I have had
> customers that could not figure out how to collect only the fonts needed for
> their current job so just sent every font they own. Having to sift threw 300
> fonts to get the 5 you need sucks! Nobody that had to output the file would
> want that but considering how many of our customer can't manage to send the
> ones that they actually use I really would have no issue if somebody sent
> one or two extra fonts. I say don't worry about it.

Its not a problem as such, its just annoying when you know that you have
never used a font for instance & it keeps popping up on the list.
I just prefer it when I feel like I am in control of what the program is
doing I guess.

--
Matthew Taylor
www.mtaylor.co.uk
www.elginism.com
Recently, Matthew Taylor <matthew.DONOTSPAM@NOSPAM.mtaylor.co.uk> posted:

> Neil Gould wrote:
>
>>> I considered this, but in one of the documents where this is
>>> happening, there are no paragraph or character styles set up (it is
>>> just a layout for some letterhead paper, so only two text boxes)
>>>

>> What font is use when you start typing into those text boxes?
>>

> What? you mean when I create a new text box & start typing? - Minion
> Pro (Not Tahoma).

I meant for the existing text boxes that are in your document. I suspect
that the text boxes were created with Tahoma as the active font, and as a
result that font registers as active, even though it isn't used for any
real text. Just a thought.

> Interestingly, although Indesign lists the font, if I create a PDF it
> does not appear in the list of fonts in the PDF.

That's expected behavior... the font is not exported to the PDF if there
are no instances of it in the document.

Regards,

Neil

0
neil9133 (816)
9/20/2005 10:48:36 AM
Neil Gould wrote:

> I meant for the existing text boxes that are in your document. I suspect
> that the text boxes were created with Tahoma as the active font, and as a
> result that font registers as active, even though it isn't used for any
> real text. Just a thought.

This does sound possible.
I'll try creating new boxes & deleting the old & see if the font goes.
It's just odd that I haven't noticed this behaviour before if that is
the case.

Thanks for this suggestion.

--
Matthew Taylor
www.mtaylor.co.uk

Using using
I want to plot column 2 against col. 1, but subtract a constant from col. 2. I tried, in a test script, plot 'test.dat' using 1:($2 + 1) w p pt 7 but gnuplot complains Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjusting to [0.99:1.01] although the data file contains 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 What am I doing wrong? I read this in the manual: plot 'file' using 1:($2+$3) "%1f,%1f,%1f" which led me to use the above. I assume the format stuff is not needed. If I am doing this wrong, how do I modify a given column to be plotted arithmetically? -- Dieter Britz Am 22.08.2013 16:24, schrieb Dieter Britz: > I want to plot column 2 against col. 1, but subtract > a constant from col. 2. I tried, in a test script, > > plot 'test.dat' using 1:($2 + 1) w p pt 7 > > but gnuplot complains > > Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjusting to [0.99:1.01] > > although the data file contains > > 1 1 > 2 2 > 3 3 > 4 4 > 5 5 > You´ve set an xrange that ends between one and two. On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:46:37 +0200, Karl wrote: > Am 22.08.2013 16:24, schrieb Dieter Britz: >> I want to plot column 2 against col. 1, but subtract a constant from >> col. 2. I tried, in a test script, >> >> plot 'test.dat' using 1:($2 + 1) w p pt 7 >> >> but gnuplot complains >> >> Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjus...

when to use == and when to use is
I know this question has been answered: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6570371/when-to-use-and-when-to-use-is , but I still have doubts. Consider the following code: class A: def __init__(self, a): self._a = a #def __eq__(self, other): # return self._a != other._a obj_0 = A(0) obj_1 = A(1) obj_2 = A(2) obj = obj_1 if obj == obj_0: print(0) elif obj == obj_1: print(1) elif obj == obj_2: print(2) if obj is obj_0: print(0) elif obj is obj_1: print(1) elif obj is obj_2: print(2) Both if statements wo...

Just When I Was Getting Used To Using Using
I have a class Packet that contains a nested class Payload and an enumeration: struct Packet { struct Payload { } ; } ; I had gotten into the habit of writing: using Packet::Payload; so I could write: Payload::..blah.. instead of Packet::Payload::..blah I have done this... (gulp) in many, many .cpp files. I tried out the new Visual C++ Express compiler from you-know-who on my source code and got 1000's of error messages: ...\Packet\Packet.cpp(13) : error C2885: 'Packet::Payload': not a valid using-declaration at non-class scope What does the standard say? Is th...

ClearType: Does Java AWT use its own font or use the OS's font in displaying text field?
Hi folks, I need to display some ClearType text in a static text field of a GUI window using Java AWT. I heard that Java 2D itself currently does not support ClearType sub-pixel technology. I am wondering if AWT can render font using OS's global font setting, for instance, on Windows XP, the ClearType font can be enabled globally, on Linux, it also has sub-pixel rendering technology can can be enabled OS wide. I am wondering if the Java AWT uses OS's font by default? Furthermore, what shall I do if I want to capture the RGB pixel values of the displayed text and save to harddisk? Th...

To use or not to use CLOS
I must admit that I'm completely a newbie in Lisp, as I've been writing C and (some) C++ for years. I don't like the way in wich C++ resolves object programming, although sometimes I'm forced to use object oriented programming in C, in the same way as GTK+ does. Now I emprend a (personal) project and would like to start it from the very beginning in Lisp (my first project in this language). My simple question, and I want to ear answers from all you experts, is: do you recomend me CLOS or perhaps consider that using simple structure and Lisp facilities would be more than enough?...

When to use postgreSQL , when to use other
We are using Oracle and mySQL for web-applications I'm planing to use postgresql also. Maybe we will also use Cach`e . Does anyone using an other database-engines than postgresql also? What are your decision criterias to choose which db-engine for a certain project? e.g. less/more than x records in database , less/more than x select/DML-Staements per second reliablity, backup, replication... ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's ...

Why index used/not used
Hello. Explain. I have table "traf_raw" contains field "sip_id" (integer). This field indexed with "CREATE INDEX traf_raw_sip ON traf_raw (sip_id)". Question. When I try to get different rows postgres use index with one "sip_id" and not use index with another "sip_id". I don't understand why it is happen, but with more complex queries Seq Scan is so slowly. Example. With "sip_id='19'" there many rows in table, with "sip_id='29'" there is no rows. cnupm=> ANALYZE traf_raw; ANALYZE cnupm=> EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM traf_raw WHERE sip_id='19' LIMIT 10 OFFSET 100000; QUERY PLAN --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Limit (cost=5230.95..5230.99 rows=1 width=56) (actual time=2505.89..2505.89 rows=0 loops=1) -> Seq Scan on traf_raw (cost=0.00..5230.99 rows=10808 width=56) (actual time=0.04..2490.02 rows=10977 loops=1) Filter: (sip_id = 19) Total runtime: 2505.95 msec (4 rows) cnupm=> EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM traf_raw WHERE sip_id='29' LIMIT 10 OFFSET 100000; QUERY PLAN --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------...

file in use, could not use
Hi. I have two databases that are both linked to the same backend table. I can't use them both at the same time, yet other users can have both functioning simultaneously on their machines. Opening them is not the problem. ..but the error message appears when I run any queries linked to the table. It works in one database, but not the other. All users are running XP sp2 with Access 2003. The error message is the same regardless if anyone is using the backend or not. I believe it is machine specific...MY machine. I haven't a clue. Any ideas? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmon...

Used Cisco Used Switch Used Cisco Router Used Cisco Switch At LinkWaves Corp
Hello Guy. I just bought a cisco 7206VXR from http://www.linkwaves.com. Quick shipping fedex 3 days saver for $85. I think they are great Quick Ship Great Services Excelent Products For Quick Quote. Please visit here http://www.linkwaves.com/requestquote.asp For Quick Search. Please visit here http://www.linkwaves.com/productsearch.asp Their Contact is LinkWaves Corp 29980 Technology Drive, Suite 6 Murrieta, CA 92563 Tel: +1-909-725-9143 Fax: =1-707-221-3762 http://www.linkwaves.com sales(at)linkwaves.com ...

Defined but not used? But I am using it!
I can't figure this out. So in a templated class of mine I have the following. namespace menutree { static bool debug = false; } And in various parts of the code I have statements like. if (menutree::debug) { std::cout << "here" << std::endl; Everything compiles but I get the warning "warning: `bool menutree::debug' defined but not used" Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks! Travis wrote: > I can't figure this out. So in a templated class of mine I have the > following. > > namespace menutree > { > static boo...

To use locking or not to use it
Hello, I am builiding a multi-threaded application which has the following components : 1 writer thread - it gets information from the network and updates a table of numeric data, then informs the 2 reader threads that there is new information, so they should start running 2 reader threads that are awakened by the writer thread, use the writer thread's table to retrieve updated numerical data to do their calculations. Since the writer updates the table and the readers read from it, I want to use a reader/writer locking mechanism. However, I thought about the following strategy : The writer will not manage a main table, it will only package the recieved data (in a struct or class), and use 2 queue structures, one for each reader, it will enqueue the data into each queue, which in turn will cause the 2 reader threads, to awake, dequeue the data, update their own copy of the numeric data table (which is handled by the writer thread in the previous scenario) and then do their calculations. Since each reader thread has its own copy (although they are duplicate), no locking is required. The only locking might be required on the queue actions (but maybe there is a way to use a queue with 1 thread which enqueue's and 1 thread that dequeue without lock's - I will be glad for any suggestion here as well). The data that is packaged is 48 bytes. I would be very happy to hear your thoughts and questions about these designs - whi...

how to find fonts used in PDF file using Java
For an existing PDF file, how do I find out what fonts used for each page and font size. Are there any Java API I can use to find out thest style information (font, font size, line spacing, page margin ...) of a PDF file? Thanks, George Shi gshi@ekagrasoft.com gshi@ekagrasoft.com (George Shi) wrote: >For an existing PDF file, how do I find out what fonts used for each >page and font size. Are there any Java API I can use to find out thest >style information (font, font size, line spacing, page margin ...) of >a PDF file? A little background on PDF structures may help you: readi...

ActGen to use or not to use?
Hello, I was doing a project with Actel FPGA ex128 with Libero Platinum Eval version software. in my project I had to use some counters,Multiplexers etc. which I wrote myself. Now as I was a beginner I didnt use the ActGen. Is it worth the effort to write the code partly by using ActGen macros for counter and muxes and etc. Thanks Naimesh Naimesh wrote: > I was doing a project with Actel FPGA ex128 with Libero Platinum Eval > version software. > > in my project I had to use some counters,Multiplexers etc. which I > wrote myself. Good work. Writing your own code makes y...

Installation of Impression Publisher Fonts Fail Using the 'Font Install 1.03' Software
After installing Impression Publisher I am unable to install any of the (default) Fonts included with this application. Some Impression Publisher functions refuse to start because the default fonts cannot be found. The fonts on the disc may not be accessed directly ... it appears that the default fonts must be unpacked and installed by the font installation program included with Impression Publisher - Font Install 1.03 When attempting to use Font Install 1.03 the application reports that the system is "Out of Memory" - yet the task manager advises that in excess of 160,000Kbytes ar...

How to find fonts used in PDF file using Java #2
For an existing PDF file, how do I find out what fonts used for each page and font size. Are there any Java API I can use to find out thest style information (font, font size, line spacing, page margin ...) of a PDF file? Thanks, George Shi gshi@ekagrasoft.com ...

If Mel really didn't approve of compilers and if refused to use an "optimizing assembler", existed others developers that really didn't approve of compilers and if refused to use an "optimizing assemb
This is the last topic that I post about the history of machine language using the Google Translate. According Ed Nather in The Story of Mel, this is part of the history of machine language: "The Story of Mel This was posted to Usenet by its author, Ed Nather (<nather@astro.as.utexas.edu>), on May 21, 1983. A recent article devoted to the macho side of programming made the bald and unvarnished statement: Real Programmers write in FORTRAN. Maybe they do now, in this decadent era of Lite beer, hand calculators, and "user-friendly" software but ba...

If you used to use Windows or now used Windows less because of FreeBSD why?
For a Graduation Project, I am comparing Open-Source software to Propetarity Software. So if you used to use Windows or now use Windows less, why do you use FreeBSD more now? Yes, I know I asked a question like this before, but forgot to ask this one. ;). I continue to use windows on the desktop because of certain apps and games that only run on windows. Making the switch to another platorm is not a priority. I am quite good with windows security and other platforms offer no functionality that windows lacks, in my instance. I recently began utilizing freebsd for some of my services, along with my windows server. I use mysql and postfix on freebsd. I have lately been experimenting with linux, but the lack of sata support is inhibiting progress. I am patiently awaiting the next release of debian, my favorite distro so far. As a libertarian, I am quite fond of open-source ideals. A few points on linux and freebsd: The freebsd packages collection, I feel, is lacking. I really think some improvements need to be addressed to accomodate users that prefer binary implementation. For example, smb client support is broken in the binary implementations of xfce4 and gnome2. Freebsd-update is a huge leap forward, as far as updates are concerned. The freebsd installer is far superior to any other I have ever used. I can install freebsd and apply binary security updates in less than ten minutes on a p2-300. Debian installation is a c...

Is it really impossible to use WPP in Applications built using Visual C++ ?
I apologize up front for posting this question here in addition to posting yesterday in microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi. The problem is that it seems that *no one* has ever used WPP in User Mode applications built with Visual C++, otherwise I would get *some* response to my query. As last resort I am trying my luck here, perhaps I would at least get a response that tells me "stop wasting your time on WPP in Visual C++ because it is impossible). I have been combing the web for examples (or a single microsoft sample) that demonstrates how to use WPP in User Mode applicati...

Using Beamer's font even when siunitx and formulae are used

font to use in another font
I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out there that I could use in my font? It would have to be completely free of copyright. Thanks. -John John Baima In article <s1gh55l9098r98bu1481bf1k846217vko2@4ax.com>, John Baima <john@nospam.com> wrote: > I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the > characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English > glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out the...

Using a DLL that uses a second library which use Java Runtime Environment
Hello, I am having problems when I try to import a DLL in Matlab that I created myself with the Visual C++ 2010 express. My library uses a second library that I don't want Matlab to worry about (since it uses complex data structures and don't know how it has been created). My library exports the function prototypes with C support (I use -> extern "C" __declspec(dllexport)). I made a simple console application in C++ that uses my library and it works correctly. Matlab loads my library without any problem. The problem comes when I call a function that defines a variable sp...

using font generator setvar(font groups, new font name)
I'm trying to determine if you have to create a font for each version and size of the font being used. Ie. Do I have to create seperate fonts for: Courier New, Bold, size 8 and Courier New, italics, size 8 or can I just create one for Courier New size 8 and it recognize it? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. -Halina ...

Used Cisco Used Cisco Router Used Cisco Switch At LinkWaves Corp
Hello Guys, Please let me know if you need Cisco. Will take offers WS-X6704-10GE $8390 (CFC) WS-X6724-SFP $7300 ( CFC) PA-MC-8TE1+ $5295 PA-MC-STM-1SMI $12900 4GE-SFP-LC $21995 WS-F6700-DFC3BXL $7400 SA-VAM, $1199/each WS-C3750G-24PS-S, $3599/each 6E3-SMB, $5500/each 8FE-FX-SC-B, $899/each PA-A3-E3, $799/each PA-MC-8T1 $1500/each OSM-8OC3-POS-MM $3500/each OSM-2OC12-POS-MM $3499/each OSM-2OC12-POS-SI $5599/each WS-X6502-10GE $1995/each PA-A3-8E1-IMA $1550/each PA-A3-8T1-IMA $1440/each PA-MCX-8TE1-M $6200/each PA-MC-8TE1+ $5500/each PA-MC-STM-1SMI $12900/each NM-8T1-IMA $750/each NM-1GE $2200/...

How to use LDAP using PHP
Heylo, I have installed PHP and make the necessary changes required in PHP.ini the changes were uncommenting LDAP and GD files. after that i had run PHPinfo command thru web page and it was not showing me both LDAP and GD config. Is i am doing sumthing worng if yes plz guide else tell me sum solution for how to go further. You may need to restart the web server if you're using mod_php. I would double-check that the Configuration File (php.ini) Path setting shown by phpinfo() is the file that was updated... On Jan 31, 8:39 am, dilipbail...@gmail.com wrote: > Heylo, I have installed PH...

Web resources about - Used fonts in Indesign that are not really used - comp.publish.prepress

Adobe InDesign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Adobe InDesign is a desktop publishing software application produced by Adobe Systems . It can be used to create works such as posters, flyers, ...

Create an easy Netflix style popup for a PDF in Adobe InDesign - YouTube
InDesign CS5+ allows us to add lots of great functionality to a PDF file to make it interactive. In this video tip, I'll show you how to show ...

Adobe rolls out huge update to Creative Cloud ‘CC’ design tools: Illustrator, InDesign, Muse, InCopy ...
... just announced some of the biggest updates yet to its design tools including many highly requested features for apps such as Illustrator, InDesign, ...

Adobe rolls out fix for InDesign crashing bug
Adobe on Monday issued a ZIP file complete with instructions to manually fix an API bug that would crash the company's InDesign professional ...

Adobe says InDesign is crashing on new MacBooks
Adobe users have narrowed the InDesign crash problem down to the software running on OS X 10.7.4 on newer Apple hardware.

Master The Art Of Creative Page Layout With The Adobe InDesign CS6 Master Class
Have you ever wanted to use Adobe InDesign better than ever before? If so, this Cult of Mac Deals offer is going to be right up your alley. ...

Briefly: Kobo E-Reader, InDesign PDF2DTP, PowerSkin
The Kobo e-book reader app has received an upgrade, adding multiple language support. In addition to English, the app now supports French, Spanish, ...

Adobe InDesign Continues To Define Desktop Publishing
Desktop publishing used to be the primary reason for owning a PC—it was a business in and of itself. I know I am dating myself, but I remember ...

PicMonkey appoints Adobe InDesign co-founder as VP and chief technical officer
... of PopCap Games and served as vice president of core technologies at Adobe, where he co-founded Adobe’s professional layout application InDesign. ...

Hands on with Adobe InDesign, January 2014 edition
... back into using Adobe Creative Cloud. While there are some tools ( Pages $20) that will meet most users’ needs for page layout, I think InDesign ...