Can't get Outpost 2.0 to work on ICS computer

I had Outpost installed on one computer in a small network and liked it so
much that I got another copy to run on the ICS machine.  But I can't seem
to get it configured properly to allow internet connection sharing. Once I
install it, the othe computers on the network can no longer access the
internet (I had at one time used Norton PFW on the ICS computer and it
worked fine right out of the box).  This ICS computer is running WinXP Pro
and has 2 NICs (one connected to cable modem, other connected to LAN hub).

Any ideas?

TIA for advice.

James
0
jbond (17)
5/8/2004 5:08:59 PM
comp.security.firewalls 10672 articles. 0 followers. dfinc1988 (97) is leader. Post Follow

James Bond <jbond@ue.com> wrote in

> I had Outpost installed on one computer in a small network and liked
> it so much that I got another copy to run on the ICS machine.  But I
> can't seem to get it configured properly to allow internet connection
> sharing. Once I install it, the othe computers on the network can no
> longer access the internet (I had at one time used Norton PFW on the
> ICS computer and it worked fine right out of the box).  This ICS
> computer is running WinXP Pro and has 2 NICs (one connected to cable
> modem, other connected to LAN hub).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA for advice.
>
> James

It's just my take on it but why mess around with the XP O/S and ICS as some
kind of gateway device. Why not go with a NAT router as the gateway device
for the LAN and WAN and you can plug the HUB into the router's UPlink port.
The router can control and protect 255 computers. It provides better
protection from the Internet and cost as much as PFW solution.

However, if you choose not to go in that direction, then I suggests you
implement IPsec to supplement the PFW as the PFW can be disabled, knocked
out of the box and circumvented easily. It's kind of hard taking out IPsec
or two of them. IPsec can do it all inbound or outbound by port, protocol,
IP and gets to the TCP/IP first.

http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

IPsec is enabled on all machines behind the NAT router, along with BlackIce
-- in your case Outpost. But that's if all your machines are Win 2K or
better.

You may want to *harden* a little more.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

You talk about how can you trust the TCP/IP scans, you shouldn't have to
bother with them, maybe as a courtesy to yourself. :)

Duane :)
0
notme13 (2648)

Can't get PCI Network Card to Work
Hello, I have an IBM Pentium III 663MHz PC (desktop) which I've been trying to get a Linux Distro to work on with Networking successfully. I know it can be done, because this box has been loaded with an early version of Redhat and operated as a web server. I wanted to start fresh so I wiped the system clean with Redhat 8 - which was able to come up quickly and correctly detect the network card that was installed. However it could not "initialize" the card. I knew that Redhat 8 had some issues, so I installed Redhat 7.2. The results were the same. So know I've taken out the...

Can't get PCI Network Card to Work
Hello, I have an IBM Pentium III 663MHz PC (desktop) which I've been trying to get a Linux Distro to work on with Networking successfully. I know it can be done, because this box has been loaded with an early version of Redhat and operated as a web server. I wanted to start fresh so I wiped the system clean with Redhat 8 - which was able to come up quickly and correctly detect the network card that was installed. However it could not "initialize" the card. I knew that Redhat 8 had some issues, so I installed Redhat 7.2. The results were the same. So know I've taken out the "big guns" - as it seems that Knoppix (4.0.2 in my case) will work with just about everything. But the results, sadly, are not much different. PCI is my only choice as the IBM only has PCI slots. I have two NICs that I've tried - and the results are pretty much the same: Card #1: This was the card that has been in there when the box was a web server - 3Com 10/100 TX Fast Etherlink XL PCI 2 - 3c905B-TX NM All three distros are able to probe the card correctly and select (what I would guess to be) the correct driver. I've tried toassign an IP through DHCP and also by assigning it a static IP - neither case worked. Card #2: (Test individually - not at the same time as card #1) - D-Link DFE-530TX REV-A1 All three distros were also able to select the correct driver for this card. I tried both DHCP and static IP. When I assigned the D...

pgnuplot 4.0 can't get 'with labels' feature to work
Hi, I can plot the curve just fine unless I try to add labels to the data points. I have seen this labels technique working on several gnuplot tutorials. I cannot find a reason why mine doesn't work. Thanks in advance, Ed WinXP SP2 pgnuplot 4.0 (works) plot '3509120199_APV_dataPointsPruned.csv'using 2:3 with linespoints (doesn't work) plot '3509120199_APV_dataPointsPruned.csv'using 2:3 with linespoints,'' using 2:3:2 with labels ^ expecting 'lines', 'points', 'linespoints', 'dots', 'impulses', 'yerrorbars', 'xerrorbars', 'xyerrorbars', 'steps', 'fsteps', 'histeps', 'filledcurves', 'boxes', 'boxerrorbars', 'boxxyerrorbars', 'vectors', 'financebars', 'candlesticks', 'errorlines', 'xerrorlines', 'yerrorlines', 'xyerrorlines', 'pm3d' My data file: #cost & gamma pair, FPR, TPR, cost & gamma pair, FNR, TNR 12_-11 0.125 0.833333 12_-11 0.166667 0.875 0_-5 0.25 0.916667 0_-5 0.0833333 0.75 18_-24 0.375 0.916667 18_-24 0.0833333 0.625 25_-30 0.5 1 25_-30 0 0.5 23_-29 0.625 1 23_-29 0 0.375 24_-29 0.75 0.833333 24_-29 0.166667 0.25 -1_-5 0.875 0.916667 -1_-5 0.0833333 0.125 In article <1116887551.666580.135440@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>...

Can't get sqlite3.Row working: keyword lookup doesn't work
Hello, using Python 2.7.6 I try to access a sqlite database using keyword lookup instead of position (much more easy to maintain code), but it always fail, with the error: Index must be int or string I have created the database, populated it, and here is the code that tries to retrieve the information: with sqlite3.connect(mydbPath) as db: # open the database db.row_factory = sqlite3.Row cursor = db.cursor() cursor.execute("SELECT * FROM files") for row in cursor.fetchall(): print(row.keys()) print(row["filename&qu...

wireless card works from knoppix but can't get working with hard drive install #2
my usb wireless nic a hawking hwu54g zd1211 driver knoppix brings it up 0 problem and Im BAM on the net now i want to make it work with a normal hard drive install wha do i do? How do i dig the config outa knoppix? I did lsusb and it shows... will post more tonight when i get home ...

Can't get mailhop.outbound.org secure SMTP server to work from Eudora
I have an outbound mailhop account with www.dyndns.com which offers secure authenticated SMTP relay on several ports. I cannot get the SMTP server to accept my mail when sent from Eudora (I have tried all 3 SMTP ports they offer). It works from Outlook Express (but not flawlessly), but works beautifully from Mozilla based e-mail clients (Netscape mail, Mozilla Mail and Thunderbird). In Thunderbird,it works with "TLS" but not with "SSL". The Eudora error message is:- ! Relay Personality, SSL:1 message left to send., RCPT TO:<email.address@my.isp> [02:33:57 PM] Cant send to ". The server gives this reason: '550 You must authenticate to use Mailhop Outbound'. Does anyone else have any problems with this server? What is the difference between TLS and SSL and is this the problem? On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:43:40 +1000, Watermole <fake@nopoint.harvesting.this> wrote: >Cant send to ". The server gives this reason: '550 You must authenticate >to use Mailhop Outbound'. This usually means you need to download from "the" POP3 server before sending with the SMTP server. Watermole <fake@nopoint.harvesting.this> wrote: > I have an outbound mailhop account with www.dyndns.com which offers > secure authenticated SMTP relay on several ports. I cannot get the SMTP > server to accept my mail when sent from Eudora (I have tried all 3 SMTP > ports they of...

Can Linux Survive the Beating it's Getting? The 2.6 Linux kernel doesn't even work!!!
SCO is suing Linus. Microsoft is still number one. Redhat Linux is dumping the small business home user market and giving them unsupported beta Fedora distro that has no backward patches. Novell bought out SuSE, and as we all know many Novell alumni are now at SCO. Novell will take care of SuSE the same way as SCO does with Linux. Contrary to what the advocates say, Linux is hard to use. I am using SuSE 8.2 and my upgrade to the 2.6 test-9 kernel was unsuccessful. I compiled the kernel using the following steps. make xconfig make bzImage make modules make modules_install I moved the r...

3*x''+(10^-3)*x'+123*x=2*cos(3*t); x=x(t);initial conditions x(0)=0 and x'(0)=0
Hi everybody, I need to solve the Cauchy problem written in the title box ( I paste it here again ): 3*x''+(10^-3)*x'+123*x=2*cos(3*t); x=x(t);initial conditions x(0)=0 and x'(0)=0. I tried with Runge-Kutta method and it seems to work as the solution x(t) is the same that I can get solving the equation by myself. I need to know if it would be better another method (eventually multistep one) and why it would be better (please don't just tell me 'cause it's faster or so...I need to know the why too). As last thing I need to estimate the error committed with Runge...

Can't get AREA_GROUP to work #2
I am trying to use area_group in my constraints file, but I keep getting the error ERROR:NgdBuild:753 - "constraints.ucf" Line 5: Could not find instance(s) 'gclockInst' in the design. To suppress this error specify the correct instance name or remove the constraint. ERROR:Parsers:11 - Encountered unrecognized constraint while parsing. ERROR:NgdBuild:19 - Errors found while parsing constraint file "constraints.ucf". I have tried this with several of the instances in my design, but I am having no success. I am running ISE Webpack 9.1.03i The instance is ...

Can't get a working modula-2
Frustrated!! I have tried about 6 modula-2 installations for my system (linux Fedora 15 X86-64). None of them work. On some the libraries are the wrong versions and others just hang up. Many of the installations are quite dated. gm2 (gnu modula-2) comes close, but simple programs get an error gm2 -fpim power.mod /home/dtelford/opt/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.1.2/gm2/pim/ StrIO.def:60:1: error: unable to obtain the MIN value for type the ZType /home/dtelford/opt/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.1.2/gm2/pim/ StrIO.def:60:1: error: unable to obtain the MAX value for ty...

Can't get Classic to work #2
I have a 500 MHz iMac, 384 MB RAM, with OS 10.3 and I can't get Classic to work on it. When I try to use an old app that wants classic, I get a message that the system can't find the OS9 folder. When I open the OSX System Preferences and click the icon for "9," it says "There is no volume with a Mac OS 9 system folder for Classic to use." But when I double-click the hard drive icon on the desktop, I see 3 folders that make reference to OS 9: Applications (Mac OS 9) Library (Mac OS 9) System (Mac OS 9) I bought this computer recently. The person I bought it f...

Can't get secure links to work
Not sure whether this is a firewall problem, but having been to two bank sites and now trying to make a payment online, I have noticed that all three secure links don't work. Trevor Appleton wrote: > Not sure whether this is a firewall problem, but having been to two bank > sites and now trying to make a payment online, I have noticed that all three > secure links don't work. > > If you are behind a modem and a reouter that are both suppling NAT than this looks like a spoof attack to the secure site. Hope this helps. Trevor Appleton wrote: > Not sure whether this is a firewall problem, As you have given us no information, neither am I. -- ------------------------------------ Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be blacklisted, submitted to anti-spam sites and proably burn in hell. ...

[pysqlite 2.0.2] UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 44-45: invalid data
A fetchall() call causes the above error. There must be some non-utf8 chars in the table in question and - indeed - there very likely are: The table contains pathnames of files on the harddisk of a German "speaking" PC. What I have already done to try to overcome this is: - Inserted "# coding: iso-8859-1" (w/o the quotes) in (hopefully) every file of my project - All strings I could find prefixed with "u" (w/o the quotes) - Changed plain calls to execute(q) into execute(unicode(q)) Alas, I am not sure if this all makes really sense, and, obviously it doesn't...

can't get 5.0.4 to work
Sorry, this is going to be a silly question, but I've been fighting it since Saturday... I'm installing on an iBook, so Mac OS-X. I get this.. 'PHP Version 4.3.11' when running phpinfo(). I download the source for 5.0.4, configure it .. ../configure --with-pgsql=/usr/local/pgsql I then make && make install, and the installation finishes successfully. Following the instructions in the INSTALL file, I then edit my httpd.conf file, as follows .. LoadModule php5_module libexec/httpd/libphp5.so AddModule mod_php5.c (the first line is after I altered ...

Mechanize: Can't get it to work. Can I help make it work next week?
This may be just one more play where my lack of experience with Ruby is biting me, but I have had no luck making mechanize go. I'm using version 0.2.3, and it claims to gem install successfully, but when I try to do a simple script that just goes: require 'rubygems' require 'mechanize' agent = WWW::Mechanize.new (and several versions of thingsafterthis, including blank, don't seem to make any difference) and I run that alone and get a LoadError pointing to something called custom_require.rb, lines 18 and 24, and mechanize line 14. I'd like to make...

Can't get sound working (don't worry, full of details)
Hi, I'm new to OpenBSD but I'd like to use it as my desktop. One of the two problems which don't let me do that is that I can't get any sound, :P. Well, I read the FAQs and here is the deal: My motherboard is this: SY-P4VGM http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=273 My chip is supported (VT8233): http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html dmesg output related to my chip: auvia0 at pci0 dev 17 function 5 "VIA VT8233 AC97" rev 0x50: irq 12 ac97: codec id 0x56494161 (VIA Technologies VT1612A) ac97: codec features headphone, 18 bit DAC, 18 bi...

Kontact 1.0.2, KMail 1.7.2 (KDE 3.3.2 Mandriva 2005 LE) can't see my GPG key, but knode can use it

php4.3.2 can't get POST to work.

Can't get PHP to work with Apache for Win32 #2
Thanks for your effort to help, but the strange thing is that there is no php4apache.dll file supplied in the downloaded PHP package. I even search my complete disk. Strange because I downloaded PHP v4.3.7 from PHP.NET a couple of months ago, and it has been working OK with the Abyss webserver since then. Lars Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Lars Gustavsson of comp.lang.php make plain: > Thanks for your effort to help, but the strange thing is that there is > no php4apache.dll file supplied in the downloaded PHP package. I even > search my compl...

PIX: can't seem to get secure shell working
can't seem to get secure shell working ; have a PIX and Putty. ssh 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 outside ssh timeout 20 I have Putty hit the outside IP of the PIX and I get " Server unexpectedly closed network connection." I generated an RSA key-pair for the Pix ... But I haved no experience with ssh at all , and may be leaving out something obvious In article <R1Gwe.9777$Q05.8647@fe08.lga>, Barrett Bonden <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote: :can't seem to get secure shell working ; have a PIX and Putty. : ssh 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 outside : ssh timeout 20 :I have Putty hit...

Can't get ntp 4.2.0 running
Hi, I don't know what to do any more, ntp is driving me nuts. Even the simple example in the Freebsd handbook does not work for me. I am using Freebsd 5.1 and I have build ntp 4.2.0 from the ports. With the following config I get the following output: /etc/ntp.conf server ntp.tuxfamily.net restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust nomodify notrap driftfile /var/db/ntp.drift --------------------------- When a client connects (started with ntpd -d): ntpd 4.2.0@1.1161-r Thu Dec 25 15:41:53 CET 2003 (1) addto_syslog: ntpd 4.2.0@1.1161-r Thu Dec 25 15:41:53 CET 2003 (1) addto_syslog: precision = 1.397 usec create_sockets(123) addto_syslog: no IPv6 interfaces found bind() fd 4, family 2, port 123, addr 0.0.0.0, flags=8 bind() fd 5, family 2, port 123, addr 192.168.0.2, flags=8 bind() fd 6, family 2, port 123, addr 192.168.0.3, flags=8 bind() fd 7, family 2, port 123, addr 192.168.0.4, flags=8 bind() fd 8, family 2, port 123, addr 192.168.0.5, flags=8 bind() fd 9, family 2, port 123, addr 192.168.0.6, flags=8 bind() fd 10, family 2, port 123, addr 127.0.0.1, flags=0 init_io: maxactivefd 10 local_clock: at 0 state 0 key_expire: at 0 peer_clear: at 0 assoc ID 54524 refid INIT newpeer: 192.168.0.2->80.67.179.98 mode 3 vers 4 poll 6 10 flags 0x1 0x1 ttl 0 key 00000000 report_event: system event 'event_restart' (0x01) status 'sync_alarm, sync_unspec, 1 event, event_unspec' (0xc010) transmit: at 1 192.168.0.2->80.67.179...

can't get RSJ version for eCS 1.2 working
If you've successfully used the version of RSJ that came with eCS 1.2, could you suggest what I might be doing wrong in my setup? I have two CD drives, a SCSI Plextor PX-32TS CD-rom and an ATAPI Plextor PX-712A DVD/CD writer. Both work fine for reading. I've followed all the instructions for setting up the writer, including the following lines in the config.sys: DEVICE=H:\rsjcd\rsjscsi.sys /S IFS=H:\rsjcd\cdwfs.ifs BASEDEV=daniatap.flt /RSJ BASEDEV=lockcdr.flt \i:"Plextor DVDR PX-712A" /q /d RUN=H:\rsjcd\cdwfsd.exe -p "H:/tmp" -c20000 -b4091 -t2 -i3 -s4 and mention of the 'H:\rsjcd' path in both LIBPATH and PATH statements. In RSJCD-Writer Control, under the System tab, the 'LOCKCDR Boot Messages' box contains: Return code: 00000404 InitSubmitORB_Wait returned: 0000000B Return code: 00000509 InitSubmitORB_Wait returned: 0000000B Return code: 00000509 [PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-32TS ] --> ignored. GetDriveCaps failed and the 'Recorders used by RSJ CD Writer' box contains: PLEXTOR "DVDR PX-712A " 1.04 "PLEXTOR DVDR PX-712A " N/A cdatapi ATAPI CUESHEET PLEXTOR_DVDR___PX-712A__1 On the 'General' page, when I try to 'Attach now' drive letter Z:, and leaving the 'Sessions to skip' at 0, the error message invariably appears "The system cannot find the file specified" I have n...

HELP: Can't get PCMCIA USB 2 cards to work
I now have two such cards (one Belkin and one OEM) and one expensive Adaptec combo USB/firewire card. They all install OK, but then do nothing. They don't see anything that I plug into them I originally got the Belkin to go with a Belkin USB2 multi card reader, but as soon as I plug in the reader, the whole system freezes and crashes! One would assume that two items from the same manufacturer would at least co exist, let alone work. I should add that the reader works OK on USB1 I read somewhere that one should disable legacy USB in the BIOS, but mine doesn't have such option. It;s a HP Omnibook XE3. Any suggestions gratefully received. TIA, Richard. In comp.sys.laptops Richard <> wrote: : I now have two such cards (one Belkin and one OEM) and one expensive : Adaptec combo USB/firewire card. : They all install OK, but then do nothing. They don't see anything that : I plug into them : I originally got the Belkin to go with a Belkin USB2 multi card : reader, but as soon as I plug in the reader, the whole system freezes : and crashes! One would assume that two items from the same : manufacturer would at least co exist, let alone work. : I should add that the reader works OK on USB1 : I read somewhere that one should disable legacy USB in the BIOS, but : mine doesn't have such option. It;s a HP Omnibook XE3. Uh...are you sure the cards are really installed correctly? After you re-boot and go into device manager, do you see any devices with yellow ...

Can't remember how to get my CH gear working in IL-2
Hi, Just purchased and installed IL-2 1946. I can not remember how to get my CH Pro Fighterstick, Pro Pedals, and Pro Throttle working in the sim. I am running the latest 4.20 CH Controller Manager and have all three calibrated and working in the CM. I have Direct Mode enabled. I have not mapped anything yet (like views, and the fire button). I have tried to change the selection in the HOTAS portion of the game but it won't recognize/change to anything else but the defaults. Any ideas? -paulw On Thu, 17 May 2007 21:31:44 -0600, PW <paulremove_williamson858@removeho...

Web resources about - Can't get Outpost 2.0 to work on ICS computer - comp.security.firewalls