Help: Need help identifying the cause of this problem....

Hi all,

The symptoms: When connected to the internet my desktop runs at 100%
cpu usage and 100% network usage. There are no idications of which
process is actually using 100% CPU. Whatever is wrong with my desktop
is now wrong with my laptop - they both run winxp and are connected to
the same router. If I disconnect the router from the cable modem both
computers continue to run at 100%/100% - disconnect the network cables
- or disable the connection - and the problem goes away.

Right now I am writing this on my wife's mac - it is also connected to
router but works just fine. There is no burner/storage device attached
to this mac so I cannot get the latest spybot/adaware/norton updates.
My norton is 3 days old and the adaware/spybot are over a month old -
don't detect anything.

My first attempt was to completely reformat the desktop; give it a
clean slate. However, after reformat the 100%/100% problem continues.
(Laptop was not on and not connected to network). What kind of computer
virus/trojan/exploit survives a fresh reinstall of the OS?
Any advice appreciated,
ent

comp.security.firewalls 10672 articles. 0 followers. dfinc1988 (97) is leader. Post Follow

On 29 Dec 2004 01:12:13 -0800, entropy123 spoketh

>Hi all,
>
>The symptoms: When connected to the internet my desktop runs at 100%
>cpu usage and 100% network usage. There are no idications of which
>process is actually using 100% CPU. Whatever is wrong with my desktop
>is now wrong with my laptop - they both run winxp and are connected to
>the same router. If I disconnect the router from the cable modem both
>computers continue to run at 100%/100% - disconnect the network cables
>- or disable the connection - and the problem goes away.
>
>Right now I am writing this on my wife's mac - it is also connected to
>router but works just fine. There is no burner/storage device attached
>to this mac so I cannot get the latest spybot/adaware/norton updates.
>My norton is 3 days old and the adaware/spybot are over a month old -
>don't detect anything.
>
>My first attempt was to completely reformat the desktop; give it a
>clean slate. However, after reformat the 100%/100% problem continues.
>(Laptop was not on and not connected to network). What kind of computer
>virus/trojan/exploit survives a fresh reinstall of the OS?
>Any advice appreciated,
>ent

Nothing survives a fresh install of the OS, assuming the whole disk/all
disks was re-formatted. However, if the other computer on your network
is infected with a worm, it is likely that it infected your newly
installed computer.

It is peculiar that the process that eats up all your CPU doesn't show
in the task manager. Even if this is going on, you should be able to
download something, even if it may take some time.

Try starting your computer up in safe mode, and look through your
startup areas. See if you can get a copy of HiJackThis to simplify the
search for programs that start up when your computer is started. You
should be able to manually remove items from the usual places in the
registry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run,
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run). Be sure to check
what things are before you delete them, deleting the wrong item could be
rather unpleasant...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
badnews (1010)
12/29/2004 12:27:31 PM
Lars M. Hansen wrote:
> On 29 Dec 2004 01:12:13 -0800, entropy123 spoketh
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The symptoms: When connected to the internet my desktop runs at 100%
>> cpu usage and 100% network usage. There are no idications of which
>> process is actually using 100% CPU. Whatever is wrong with my desktop
>> is now wrong with my laptop - they both run winxp and are connected
>> to the same router. If I disconnect the router from the cable modem
>> both computers continue to run at 100%/100% - disconnect the network
>> cables - or disable the connection - and the problem goes away.
>>
>> Right now I am writing this on my wife's mac - it is also connected
>> to router but works just fine. There is no burner/storage device
>> attached to this mac so I cannot get the latest
>> spybot/adaware/norton updates. My norton is 3 days old and the
>> adaware/spybot are over a month old - don't detect anything.
>>
>> My first attempt was to completely reformat the desktop; give it a
>> clean slate. However, after reformat the 100%/100% problem continues.
>> (Laptop was not on and not connected to network). What kind of
>> computer virus/trojan/exploit survives a fresh reinstall of the OS?
>> Any advice appreciated,
>> ent
>
> Nothing survives a fresh install of the OS, assuming the whole
> disk/all disks was re-formatted. However, if the other computer on
> your network is infected with a worm, it is likely that it infected
> your newly installed computer.

Its also possible that you can be infected with xp if you update it
immediately after install or are simply connected to the internet after
install. Really, you need to install without a network connection, then put
on sp1 or 2 then go immediately to the windows update site and download the
fixes. If your internet connection doesn't have a fixed connection, then
it's a good idea to leave your router disconnected from the telephone line,
so that you will be given (hopefully) a new ip when you reconnect.

0
jasee (37)
12/29/2004 1:28:52 PM
Sounds more like you have a hardware problem with the NIC.
What is it? i.e Intel, Kingston, Realtek....
What is its driver?

"entropy123" <email_entropy123@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> The symptoms: When connected to the internet my desktop runs at 100%
> cpu usage and 100% network usage. There are no idications of which
> process is actually using 100% CPU. Whatever is wrong with my desktop
> is now wrong with my laptop - they both run winxp and are connected to
> the same router. If I disconnect the router from the cable modem both
> computers continue to run at 100%/100% - disconnect the network cables
> - or disable the connection - and the problem goes away.
>
> Right now I am writing this on my wife's mac - it is also connected to
> router but works just fine. There is no burner/storage device attached
> to this mac so I cannot get the latest spybot/adaware/norton updates.
> My norton is 3 days old and the adaware/spybot are over a month old -
> don't detect anything.
>
> My first attempt was to completely reformat the desktop; give it a
> clean slate. However, after reformat the 100%/100% problem continues.
> (Laptop was not on and not connected to network). What kind of computer
> virus/trojan/exploit survives a fresh reinstall of the OS?
> Any advice appreciated,
> ent

Help Help Help Help Help
please,help us . we have a seious problem, we are designing a radio controlled car that is guided by the PC, to send the data wireless between the PC and the Car and vice versa. we use 2 transmitter/reciever circuits from 2 seperate radio controlled car each running with a different frequency (27 MHz & 40 MHz)and modify the functionality of each to do the disered work. but on mounting a transmitter(40MHz) and reciever(27MHz) on the car, and attach another transmitter(27MHz) and reciever(40MHz) to the PC; we found that on sending signals from the car to the PC on the transmitter & rec...

help!help!help!help!
I am a student.I am going to make a simulation of a robot (FANUC Robot M-16iB) under the matlab\simulink environment . It is a normal 6DOF robot.I want to realize any angle and any speed (under the max speed) and any position and orientation control. As I just starting to do this new field,I have no experience about it. Can you give me some simulation demo or examples for 6DOF robot? I am very eager to get these.Please write back to me as soon as possible,thank you! Sincerely, Connie&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; zhanglijuan920@sohu.c...

help help help
I need to refresh my C knowledge quickly. I will be reading code for simple industrial type controls like motor controllers, valve drivers, etc This software is pretty simple, 3000 lines max. The executable is embedded in flash on the processor chip. Actually I haven't seen it yet. I haven't looked at C or done any programming in ages. I'm looking for a simple programming suite that will run on my WinXP (NTFS) computer. Something that doesn't take really long to get up to speed with. Simple is better. I just need to practice and remember and do some simple experi...

HELP HELP HELP
Hello everyone, I am a freshmen at a computer university and also new to C++ . I havent used C before either but been through PASCAL and GW-BASIC. Can someone please tell me the link to download the C++ compiler which can run on my Windows XP Professional Edition. Thanks. ByE. Yours forever in Digital Paradise uSmAn could have typed what u wanted in google. "Usman" <game_pk@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:buobgo$kaacm$1@ID-217624.news.uni-berlin.de... > Hello everyone, > I am a freshmen at a computer university and also new to C++ . I havent used > C before eit...

Help! Help! Help!
My daughter has a Dell 2300 that is coincidentally 1 month past the warranty. It will start up and shut off within 1 minute. It doesn't matter if I boot from hard drive, floppy, go into safe mode, or go to setup screen. I don't know how to try to isolate the problem. (Mother board, power supply etc.) Any suggestions? sogs wrote: > My daughter has a Dell 2300 that is coincidentally 1 month past the > warranty. It will start up and shut off within 1 minute. It doesn't > matter if I boot from hard drive, floppy, go into safe mode, or go to > setup screen....

HELP! HELP! HELP
I hope someone out there can solve my mysterious problem. I have tried everything imaginable, even paid $35 to Microsoft to help me, but they were not able to figure out this problem: Here is the problem: I recently created a new database in Access 2002. I took data from an > access 97 database converted one of the tables to access 2002 and then > imported it into a new table in access 2002. but for some strange > reason, every once in a while the data changes to Japanese characters, > it only happens once in a while, but once it happens that record is > lost. i have tried...

HELP-HELP-HELP!!!!!!!!!!
On this site par example: http://communications.siemens.com/cds/frontdoor/0,2241,nl_nl_0_27443_rArNrNrNrN,00.html u have a 3d animation, like many other sites...but if i want to see this a new window opens and i see a icon with ared cross in it. also on sites with games i see this... What is my problem? I have winXP-Pro firewall is out and sec. is on low..... twan1@home.nl (Twan) writes: > On this site par example: > http://communications.siemens.com/cds/frontdoor/0,2241,nl_nl_0_27443_rArNrNrNrN,00.html > u have a 3d animation, like many other sites...but if i want to...

Help, Help, Help...
Hei! Im makin a hot INVADERS game with Java but im a newbie with language, so , question is how do i use KeyPressed () function... I hav Applet Runnable... -!Hei!- Here is my problem... public class TestinKeys extends Applet implements Runnable .... .... public void run () { while ( true ) { KeyEvent ke; if ( ke.getKeyChar() == 'a' ) g_TykkiX ++; .... .... What is Wrong, im tryin to make that Invaders game but i dont know how to read keyboard with Runnable Java code... JariTapio <JariTapio@pp.inet.fi> wrote: > public class TestinKeys extends Applet implements Runnable > ... > ... > public void run () > { > while ( true ) > { > KeyEvent ke; > if ( ke.getKeyChar() == 'a' ) g_TykkiX ++; > ... > ... > > What is Wrong, im tryin to make that Invaders game but i dont know > how to read keyboard with Runnable Java code... You've got some basic understanding of Java and GUI programming to worry about here. Java does not provide the ability to "poll" the state of the keyboard. Instead, you need to handle key-press events, and maintain your own keyboard state if desired. Look at addKeyListener and the KeyAdapter class. In any case (GUI or not), you can *never* just declare a reference variable as you do above, and then start calling methods of it as if it already pointed to an object. You...

Help Help Help
Hello, I am a reluctant user of the website ntsearch.com. I accidentally download a Java program called "dict" from an ebook website to my XP and now every English words that I read from my computer has got a link with your web. I found it very frustrating when I noticed all the chinese characters I read from the web now become loads of question marks. I think it has a link with the program that I accidentally downloaded from that ebook website. How can I remove the so called "dict" program and other Java Scripts from my computer? This is very urgent and please answer my ...

help! help!! help!!!
x=[0 1 10] p=[100 80] how can I get A A=[3x(1) 2x(1) x(1) 1 0 0 0 0; 2x(1) x(1) 1 0 0 0 0 0; 3x(2) 2x(2) x(2) 1 -3x(2) -2x(2) -x(2) -1; 2x(2) x(2) 1 0 -2x(2) -x(2) -1 0; p(1)x(1) p(1) 0 0 -p(2)x(2) -p(2) 0 0; p(1) 0 0 0 -p(2) 0 0 0; 0 0 0 0 -p(2)x(3) -p(2) 0 0; 0 0 0 0 -p(3) 0 0 0; ] In article <fkus3t$11h$1@fred.mathworks.com>, Jim lei <redlightlike@mathworks.com> wrote: >x=[0 1 10] >p=[100 80] >how can I get ...

Help Help Help
Hello, I am a reluctant user of the website ntsearch.com. I accidentally download a Java program called "dict" from an ebook website to my XP and now every English words that I read from my computer has got a link with your web. I found it very frustrating when I noticed all the chinese characters I read from the web now become loads of question marks. I think it has a link with the program that I accidentally downloaded from that ebook website. How can I remove the so called "dict" program and other Java Scripts from my computer? This is very urgent and please answer my question as soon as you can. Thanks for your help. Regina Pun On 12 Jun 2004 00:59:34 -0700, Jerry Arzin wrote: > I am a reluctant user of the website ntsearch.com. After trying it out, .. <http://ntsearch.com/iresults.php?qq=planet> ...I can see why you are reluctant, but that still leaves the question of why you use it. Why do you use it? >..I accidentally > download a Java Is that 'Java' or 'JavaScript'? The two are quite separate things.. <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#js> >..program called "dict" What file extension does this 'dict' have? You may need to 'right click' Properties to find the extension if you have them hidden. > ..from an ebook website What's the URL? >..to my XP > and now every English words that I read from my computer has got a > link with your web. ...

HELP! HELP! HELP!
We are currently running R83 v3.1m (33 user) on an old 200 Mhz Pentium with 16Mb Mem and 2.x gif HD (the actual partition is smaller) We have run this for a number of years without ANY significant problems. Last week (just as my family was in the middle of "the move from Hell") the system decides to take a major dump. A bad link of some sort in the ABS area. THEN - the systems disks have disappeared. After much screaming and gnashing of teeth I got the system running again. OH! did I mention that the previous evenings file save tape was bad? Anyhow, the bottom line is that I REALLY need a set of 33 user 3.1m disks. Any Ideas/Help? I do have a 25 user version of r83 v3.1 (no 'm') with a monolith loader diskette (5.25) but it doesn't seem to hook up with the PICK diskettes (just keeps rebooting) If I can get a sister machine running with the 25 user - does anyone have any trick to bump it to 33 user. There must be just a byte or 2 in the ABS area that regulates # of users. Again - Help! Help! Help! Van PS: The reason we haven't upgraded is that I am using a 4GL called Envision that was written a long time ago and about half of it was done in assembler and won't run on any of the later version of PICK. I've been meaning to re-write it in Basic but it's a pretty daunting project. I'd get busy rewriting the software if I were you. If anyone actually has the disks, there's ...

Help!! Help!! Help!!
I wish to vectorize the following code: s = tf('s'); W = logspace(-1,2,50); COMBINATION = combn(W, 2); K = cell(length(COMBINATION), 1); K0 = 1 + (1/(2*s)) + 0.5*s/(0.2*s + 1); % PID controller to be approximated as PI gapValue = zeros(length(COMBINATION), 1); for i = 1:length(COMBINATION) K{i} = (COMBINATION(i,1)*(1 + (1/(COMBINATION(i,2)*s)))); % PI controller end for i = 1:length(COMBINATION) gapValue(i,1) = gapmetric(K0, K{i}); end where K0 is the Nominal transfer function and K is a cell array including transfer functions whose gap metric from K0 are...

Help, Help, Help
As you can probably gather im in need of help. I started a basic JAVA course a week ago as it seems like a very interesting subject. The problem in having is with the IDE we have been asked to use. We are using JCreator, but in order for it to work, we are required to install the Java software development kit and a class library which comes with the course book called avi with is a audio visual interface library which is supposed to make it easier for us to learn the fundimentals of JAVA without having to worry about the input/output. Anyways, I have installed the JAVA SDK from SUN website...

Need help with help need
Friends and wormbots: I am looking for some intrepid souls to try out and comment on a perl script I wrote. (What, perl in SAS-L and it's not David Cassell ?) The script takes the SAS help files apart and does some analysis (orphans, linkrot and duplicates) and inserts back links. What do back links do ? It ensures every page in the help system has a link to every page that links to it. (Actually only the the subset of the help system represented by the modules you choose to play with [there are over 140 help modules]) 1,000 lines of perl that sprouted out of a two line seed (or should...

Help needed on this 857W config. Repost to be clearer what the problems are and the help needed
Hi, Please see below config for my 857W. The basic topology is that I have one cisco857W and various servers and internal wired and wireless clients on the 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 network. There are a number of services running on the local lan, DNS and DHCP is also provided by a local server on the same subnet as the router. The 857W router sits on address 192.168.0.254 and needs to act as the local gateway for both wired and wireless clients. With this config booted on the router, the wireless clients can connect and authenticate and get allocated the correct DHCP information and ...

need to compute this problem having problems with how to start this problem help need urgently
Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)] of the phase-shifted sinusoid.X(t) = A*  cos(t +theta ): State also if X(t) is Wide Sense Stationary (WSS). plot 10 realisations of X(t) plotR(s-t,0)as a function of s-t "pramod kumar" <pramod.kilu@gmail.com> wrote in message <jpapso$44b$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)] of the phase-shifted sinusoid.X(t) = A*  cos(t +theta ): > State also if X(t) is Wide Sense Stationary (WSS). > plot 10 realisations of X(t) > plotR(s-t,0)as a function of s-t So what have you tried? If you have not tried anything, this is a suggestion that you were not paying attention in class. Make an effort. John "pramod kumar" <pramod.kilu@gmail.com> wrote in message <jpapso$44b$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)]...

Need help with help
Running GIMP 2.6.7 on 32-bit Gentoo linux I know about RTFM, but clicking on "Help" is futile. Step 1) I get an error box that says... > help Messge > Could not open 'http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-help.xml' > for reading: Operation not supported > Perhaps you are missing GIO backends and need to install GVFS What is it talking about? Step 2) I open up that URL with Firefox 3.0.14 and I get a bunch of gibberish like,,, This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below. <gimp-help> <help-item id="gimp-main" ref="index.html" title="GNU Image Manipulation Program" parent=""/> <help-item id="preface" ref="preface.html" title="Preface" parent="gimp-main"/> <help-item id="gimp-team" ref="preface.html#gimp-team" title="1. GIMP User Manual Authors and Contributors" parent="preface"/> <help-item id="getting-started" ref="getting-started.html" title="I. Getting Started" parent="gimp-main"/> <help-item id="introduction" ref="introduction.html" title="1. Introduction" parent="getting-started"/> <help-item id="introduction-gimp" ref="introduction.html#introduction-gimp" title="1. Welcome to GIMP"...

Re: HELP HELP HELP!!!
Hi Elena and everyone requesting help, Everyone on SAS-L either requests or provides help, so a subject line like HELP is completely meaningless. And so is a subject like SIMPLE NEWBIE QUESTION; first of all a newbie would not be able to decide the question to be simple (and whether a question or problem is simple or not does not matter at all), secondly questions are mostly posed by newbies (and being a newbie does not help getting a question answered more quickly) and thirdly it concerns questions which are being asked (that is trivial, but which question?). Other examples of nonsense subje...

HELP HELP PLEASE HELP
i have written a slighly bastardized version of the class web page which is given as an example of how to use the html tokenizer. What I've written is: def parse(host) dict = { } @body= host.getHTML() if !@body return end theTags = ['select','input'] for x in theTags do tokenizer = HTMLTokenizer.new(@body) while tag = tokenizer.getTag(x) name = tag.attr_hash['name'] type = tag.attr_hash['type'] if name != nil then dict[type]=name ...

help help help ASAP
Hi Guys I need some1 to help me to code the inequality below % Data Parameters n = 5; x = 1.*ones(n,1); y = 4.*ones(n,1); z = 3.*ones(n,1); lambda = [20;30;25;45;35]; % I wrote Code for the function F(r) for each i % Decision Vriable L L is a vector for i = 1 : n that minimze the Inequality (x_i + y_i) * (sum F_i(r_i) , r_i = 0 : L_i) - z_i*lambda_i*F_i(L_i) > = x_i for each i so i need to write code for the inequality to obtain L for each i that minimizes the Inequality thank you Adel On 8/27/2011 10:58 PM, ADEL wrote: .... > so i n...

help! help!! help!!! me #2
if d^4y/dx^4+d^2y/dx^2=0 y(0)=0,d^y(0)=0,d^2y(15)=100,d^3y(15)=80 how can I get y "Jim lei" <redlightlike@mathworks.com> wrote in message <fluj43$ii8$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > if d^4y/dx^4+d^2y/dx^2=0 > y(0)=0,d^y(0)=0,d^2y(15)=100,d^3y(15)=80 > > how can I get y You don't say at what value of x you wish to know y. So I'll assume that you need y at x = 0. y = 0 HTH, John (By the way, you might get better responses if you used a descriptive subject line.) On Jan 7, 8:20=A0pm, "Jim lei" <redlightl...@mathworks.com> wrote: > ...

Help Help Help #2
Hello friends, We are using a clipper based application since last 10 years and is working on windows 2000 pc's. Now we wanted to upgrade to win XP or Vista and the clipper application does not work. Please reply me as how to run the applicaion on the latest verions of windows. Also we would like to convert up application to GUI based applicaiton with the same clippper based code. Look forward to your valuable replies. Regards, Kiran Babu K Kiran Define - 'does not work' Error numbers/codes/messages?? Have you started it from a DOS window (command line) to see if it reports...

help help
latest update.... now installed readlists and make to auto load... but here is the error output... how do i resolve it? ( is it the position of the code..ie out of place?) make_all doesnt works at present... ....................................................... 1st trial -> : load 4mybot.p ;;; LOADING 4mybot.p ;;; DECLARING VARIABLE lists ;;; MISHAP - New list starts before old one finished ;;; INVOLVING: [ " then listread ( ) else readitem ( ) endif enduntil ;;; % ] -> database ; [ is animal ] [ dog is animal ] [ this is a test ;;; ] [ this is ...

Web resources about - Help: Need help identifying the cause of this problem.... - comp.security.firewalls

Wikipedia:Identifying reliable sources (medicine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page documents an English Wikipedia content guideline . It is a generally accepted standard that editors should attempt to follow, though ...

Wikipedia:Identifying reliable sources - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page documents an English Wikipedia content guideline . It is a generally accepted standard that editors should attempt to follow, though ...

Is Your SOS Free Diet Really SOS Free? Identifying Hidden Sources of Salt/Sodium, Oil/Fat & Sugars/Sweeteners ...
Is Your SOS Free Diet Really SOS Free? Identifying Hidden Sources of Salt/Sodium, Oil/Fat & Sugars/Sweeteners Jeff Novick, MS, RD Many people ...

fbFund - Identifying Talent: The Search Is On
fbFund - Identifying Talent: The Search Is On

FREE Creative Commons Macro Fingerprints Identifying Lines and Swirls - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Want to know more about me? Visit my official website www.PinkSherbet.com! free for use My photos that have a creative commons license and are ...

ViralSearch: Identifying and Visualizing Viral Content - YouTube
What does it mean for online content to "go viral"? An analysis of almost a billion information cascades on Twitter news, videos, and photos ...

Do you know this tattoo? Police want help identifying critically injured cyclist
Police have released photos of a man's tattoo in attempt to discover the identity of a cyclist critically injured in Ballarat on Monday night. ...

Pokies players have trouble identifying addiction warning signs
Regular players of the pokies find it difficult to identify early warning signs that they are addicted, according to a study published on Monday. ...

Police appeal for help identifying driver
Police are appealing for public help in identifying the driver of a car involved in an incident in Canberra earlier this week.

UK close to identifying Foley killer
Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, a former rapper from London, is suspected to be the Briton who murdered US journalist James Foley.