ip 0.0.0.0 is attempting to ....

NIS2004 told me a remote computer at ip 0.0.0.0 is trying to access my
computer, and asked if it should allow it.  I'm thinking that is probably
just the dsl modem and I should allow it.  Can anyone confirm or instruct?

comp.security.firewalls 10672 articles. 0 followers. dfinc1988 (97) is leader. Post Follow

"Adam Russell" <REMOVE_THIS_adamrussell@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<bro2a6$5lbqu$1@ID-122512.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> NIS2004 told me a remote computer at ip 0.0.0.0 is trying to access my
> computer, and asked if it should allow it.  I'm thinking that is probably
> just the dsl modem and I should allow it.  Can anyone confirm or instruct?

So is this the wrong newsgroup, or does no one know the answer?
On 18-Dec-2003, adamrussell@sbcglobal.net (Adam Russell) wrote:

> "Adam Russell" <REMOVE_THIS_adamrussell@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > NIS2004 told me a remote computer at ip 0.0.0.0 is trying to access my
> > computer, and asked if it should allow it.  I'm thinking that is
> > probably
> > just the dsl modem and I should allow it.  Can anyone confirm or
> > instruct?
>
> So is this the wrong newsgroup, or does no one know the answer?

I do not know NIS2004, but the rule of thumb that makes the most sense to me
is:
When in doubt, block it.
If things (access) still work then you are good, if it don't work, then you
try allowing it.
0
par1 (6)

IP 0.0.0.0/0
Hi Any useful link that explains this IP address range in details, please? Thanks in advance! The Dude In article <Jp6Hg.458762$IK3.24918@pd7tw1no>, The Dude <The Dude@thedu.de> wrote: >Any useful link that explains this IP address range in details, please? Urrr -- 0.0.0.0/0 is the *entire* IPv4 address range, and 0.0.0.0/32 is just the single IPv4 address 0.0.0.0. For any given network, the lowest address in the network is reserved. Historically, the lowest address was one of the two allowed choices for the broadcast address; later, the broadcast a...

#if 0?0?0:0:0
The following 4-lines source fragment test.c (fourth line empty) #if 0?0?0:0:0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} cause: test.c(1) : fatal error C1017: invalid integer constant expression when compiled by cl.exe aka "Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.30729.01 for 80x86". On the other hand this compile and runs fine. #if 0?(0?0:0):0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} Did I hit a but it this compiler's preprocessor? Francois Grieu On 3/30/2010 12:47 PM, Francois Grieu wrote: > The following 4-lines source fr...

0,0 not 0,0
hi all, i have 2 drawings - ground floor and first floor. when i do an ID on a point on the grid i get the same readings for both drawings however, when i xref one into the other or both into a new drawing they come in in different locations. i've checked they're both using world UCS and the same units. any ideas? i thought with autocad 0,0 was always 0,0? cheers rob "Coro, Rob" <RE-Coro@bdp.co.uk> schrieb: >hi all, > >i have 2 drawings - ground floor and first floor. when i do an ID on a >point on the grid i get the same readings for both drawings however, >when i xref one into the other or both into a new drawing they come in >in different locations. i've checked they're both using world UCS and >the same units. any ideas? i thought with autocad 0,0 was always 0,0? UCS? INSBASE? Tom Berger -- ArchTools: Architektur-Werkzeuge f�r AutoCAD (TM) ArchDIM - architekturgerechte Bema�ung und H�henkoten ArchAREA - Fl�chenermittlung und Raumbuch nach DIN 277 Info und Demo unter http://www.archtools.de insbase, that's the bugger. thanks tom rob -----Original Message----- From: Tom Berger [mailto:berger@archtools.de] Posted At: 13 July 2004 12:24 Posted To: autocad Conversation: 0,0 not 0,0 Subject: Re: 0,0 not 0,0 "Coro, Rob" <RE-Coro@bdp.co.uk> schrieb: >hi all, > >i have 2 drawings - ground floor and first floor. wh...

(= 0/0 0/0)
Hi, shouldn't > (= 0/0 0/0) => NIL or > (= 0/0 0/0) => T instead of giving out division by zero? 0/0 is different from 1/0, which is the non-existent number n such that 1 x n = 0. The actual result of that expression depends of what you think 0/0 is. I personally feel that 0/0 is any number n such that 0 x n = 0, that is all numbers. hal9@cyberspace.org (Hal Niner) writes: > Hi, > > shouldn't > > > (= 0/0 0/0) => NIL > > or > > > (= 0/0 0/0) => T > > instead of giving out division by zero? 0/0 is different fro...

0.0**0 = ?
I'm wondering if 0.0**0 (as opposed to 0.0**0.0) has the value 1 as per fortran standard or if this is left to the compiler vendors (different vendors do different things, unhappily). Thanks, Joost Joost VandeVondele wrote: > I'm wondering if 0.0**0 (as opposed to 0.0**0.0) has the value 1 as > per fortran standard or if this is left to the compiler vendors > (different vendors do different things, unhappily). > > Thanks, > > Joost Surely, 0.0**0.0 is mathematically undefined? Therefore, I wouldn't expect the standard to make any pronouncement about the ...

Simplifying {0,0,0}.X.{0,0,0}
Hello, In brief: Is there a way that I can specify that "X" is a matrix and will resolve to zero when dot multiplied with a vector of zeros? I'm constructing a swathe of expressions that contain things like (when expanded): {0,0,0}.X.{0,0,0}, where X is an arbitrary (well, positive definite) square matrix of obvious size, and I'd like to be able to have mathematica simplify that for me without much intervention. My only option at the moment is to manually perform the replacements {{0, 0, 0}.X._ -> 0, _.X.{0, 0, 0} -> 0} (the left and right vectors won...

"some\0\0\0\0\0\0"
can i use such form of adding zeros to the strings/literals to 'pad' them with zeros ? or this is not guwranteed to work? need that for assuring that strings for example arepadded to some amount of bytes thus using fast compare which only checks some amount of data and do not bother for checking ends, etc 9you know what i mean) On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:30:19 -0700, fir saw fit to publish the following: > can i use such form of adding zeros to the strings/literals to 'pad' > them with zeros ? Yes you can. (I feel SOOO presidential right now) > or this is n...

0:0:0:0:phone
Under kerio Admin screen,local Address I get: 0:0:0:0:phone where "phone" is the local port number. What the hell is that supposed to mean? MikeStevens.invalid@spamtrap.org wrote: > Under kerio Admin screen,local Address I get: 0:0:0:0:phone > > where "phone" is the local port number. What the hell is that supposed to > mean? That's illegal -- there should be nothing coming from 0.0.0.0 at all, on ANY port. Block that IP outright. -- Cinemuck, n.: The combination of popcorn, soda, and melted chocolate which covers the floors of movie theaters. -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets" 0.0.0.0 is seen as YOUR ip address until you get assigned a ip address. They even said it was their local port, so its something just listening on a local port which has the alias 'phone'. "NeoSadist" <neosad1st@charter.net> wrote in message news:vvscmg52kap0fc@corp.supernews.com... MikeStevens.invalid@spamtrap.org wrote: > Under kerio Admin screen,local Address I get: 0:0:0:0:phone > > where "phone" is the local port number. What the hell is that supposed to > mean? That's illegal -- there should be nothing coming from 0.0.0.0 at all, on ANY port. Block that IP outright. -- Cinemuck, n.: The combination of popcorn, soda, and melted chocolate which covers the floors of movie theaters. -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets" Go into the Firewall Status...

what is the significance of 0.0.0.0
is this the default gateway of whole internet. or is this the default gateway of a whole class A ip addresses. or is this a network address of a particular sub-net. please explain it pragmatically with regards novice wrote: > is this the default gateway of whole internet. > or is this the default gateway of a whole class A ip addresses. > > or is this a network address of a particular sub-net. > please explain it pragmatically > with regards Written that way, it's nothing more than an IP address. On 10/04/2010 02:53 PM, novice wrote: > is this the default gatewa...

packets with source ip 0.0.0.0
hello, I am working on linux and i observe that i am getting some 0.0.0.0 packets? I want to know who is sending those packets? Are they sent by services running on my Linux box? Which protocols require to send those packets? Does there any connection with raw sockets? linux.lover2004@gmail.com wrote: > hello, > I am working on linux and i observe that i am getting some > 0.0.0.0 packets? I want to know who is sending those packets? Are they > sent by services running on my Linux box? > Which protocols require to send those packets? Does there any &g...

which are packets with source ip 0.0.0.0
hello, I am working on linux and i observe that i am getting some 0.0.0.0 packets? I want to know who is sending those packets? Are they sent by services running on my Linux box? Which protocols require to send those packets? Does there any connection with raw sockets? From: <linux.lover2004@gmail.com> | hello, | I am working on linux and i observe that i am getting some | 0.0.0.0 packets? I want to know who is sending those packets? Are they | sent by services running on my Linux box? | Which protocols require to send those packets? Does there a...

static ip but get 0.0.0.0
We have win 2k machine. We set an static ip of 15.15.15.1 then we power off the machine and PC is connected to a HUB. When HUB is powered off when the PC booting up, after win 2k starts we power on the HUB but ipconfig gives we have 0.0.0.0 as an ip address. We use AMD PCNET and we have a dial up network connection configured also. ...

HELP: IP: 0.0.0.0 problem!
Hey, When I connected my laptop to a local network via router. I couldn't get IP address from the router's DHCP Server, while other onsite computers have no problem. The LAN icon says the connection is good. Router configuration: 1. allow DHCP 2. Router IP: 192.168.1.1 3. IP begins from 192.168.1.100, no maximum restriction. Laptop configuration: 1. obtain an IP address automatically 2. obtain DNS Server address automatically I ran "ipconfig", other computers says IP:192.168.1.1** and mask: 255.255.255.0. However, my laptop shows the IP and the mask are all "0.0.0.0&...

Portably replacing -0.0 with 0.0
So my program has the following function at the moment to replace -0.0 with +0.0 in a function argument: static inline double sign_flat(double v) { if (v == 0.0) return 0.0; return v; } But when compiling with the Intel Compiler icc at optimization level -O2 or higher the above still produces -0.0. This raises two questions: 1. is the compiler free to convert above function into a NOP? 2. does anyone know a work-around or even more suitable formulation to achieve the same? Preferably not some integer operations using signbit since our main system is a Power6 which has some issues with FPU depending on ALU results and vice versa. I've done some searching but the Internet is flooded with people trying to wrap their head around the fact that -0.0 exists. 1. is actually the less interesting question since even when the answer was no I still want my code to work with the Intel compiler. Regards, Thomas On 07/19/2013 03:35 PM, Thomas Jahns wrote: > static inline double > sign_flat(double v) > { > if (v == 0.0) Did you mean `if (v == -0.0)' ? (yes, this is not the same in IEEE754 ; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signed_zero) On 7/19/2013 9:35 AM, Thomas Jahns wrote: > So my program has the following function at the moment to replace -0.0 with +0.0 > in a function argument: > > static inline double > sign_flat(double v) > { > if (v == 0.0) > return 0.0; > r...

what is telnet 0.0.0.0 supposed to do?
Hi all. on windows it seems to be an illegal address, on solaris/linux it gives you a login on the localhost. could someone point to some more info on 0.0.0.0 ? yes, I already googled. On Jul 30, 7:08=A0am, adirtymindisajoyforever <getridofthes...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi all. > > on windows it seems to be an illegal address, on solaris/linux it > gives you > a login on the localhost. > > could someone point to some more info on 0.0.0.0 ? In principle, if you mean 0.0.0.0 as a destination address, it could just as well be illegal. I don't t...

route 0.0.0.0 twice
Hi, I some doubts question regarding a Cisco config. In the config I can see the following two lines: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2 I know that these addresses are active in two interfaces. We had a 2Mbit connection that was upgraded to 4 Mbit. Our ISP told us to add the routes and that with those two routes we would be able to use the two links as one. Is this true with Cisco's CEF? My question is: 1. what's the route selected by the packets? Thanks, NC Nuno Cristelo wrote: > Hi, > > I some doubts question regarding a C...

dhclient leasing 0.0.0.0
hi, OS: FreeBSD 4.9-Release im starting the dhclient at bootup from the rc.conf file. in the process list it shows as: /sbin/dhclient -pf /var/run/dhclient.ed1.pid ed1 the ipaddress leased shows: # ifconfig -a .... faith0: flags=8002<BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 ed1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255 ether 00:02:dd:1f:10:89 after killing the dhclient process and starting it again with: # dhclient everything is fine and i get a working ipaddress. my dhcp config parameters in rc.conf are standard (sysinstall generated). Since my rc.firewall script automatically finds the ipaddress i will have to restart the firewall as well. Does someone have a clue how to persuade dhclient to find the right ip-address at bootup? Also there is no logentry leading to any problems with dhclient. Thanks in advance, sake. sake@snafu.de (sake) writes: > im starting the dhclient at bootup from the rc.conf file. > in the process list it shows as: > /sbin/dhclient -pf /var/run/dhclient.ed1.pid ed1 > the ipaddress leased shows: > # ifconfig -a > ... > faith0: flags=8002<BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 > ed1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 > inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255 > ether 00:02:dd:1f:10:89 > > after killing the dh...

ARP requests for IP address 0.0.0.0
Hi, we are facing strange behaviour on our small network with a system sending out ARP requests now and then asking to resolve the IP address 0.0.0.0. According to the first three bytes of the MAC address (00-14-51) it is an Apple machine. Does anyone have an explanation for this behaviour? Thanks a lot, Chris chrismc911@hotmail.com (07-01-19 12:27:39): > we are facing strange behaviour on our small network with a system > sending out ARP requests now and then asking to resolve the IP address > 0.0.0.0. > > According to the first three bytes of the MAC address (00-14-51) it is > an Apple machine. > Does anyone have an explanation for this behaviour? Yes. The address "0.0.0.0" is the "any" address. That means, "any" host should answer that request. The MAC address you're seeing is some random MAC address from your network (most likely). Regards, E.S. Hi, thanks a lot for your answer. > Yes. The address "0.0.0.0" is the "any" address. That means, "any" > host should answer that request. The MAC address you're seeing is some > random MAC address from your network (most likely). I am sorry but I got something wrong in my post. Had a look at the logs again and the ARP requests comes from 0.0.0.0 and a valid destinatin IP which I think is the IP of the host sending the request out. I think this packet is sent when the host comes up. Something like Windows sending ou...

IP 0.0.0.0 blocked, explanation please
First, if this is really basic stuff... I've got NIS 2003 on Win XP Pro. Standalone home computer connecting to Internet thru 512k ADSL. My firewall logs show quite a few entries every day re outbound TCP from local address 0.0.0.0 blocked by implicit rule. I'm not familiar with use of IP 0.0.0.0. Are there any valid reasons I should permit access from IP 0.0.0.0 ? Approx half of the 20 or so daily entries are to remote IP 129.237.35.42:80 which is Kansas University re Lifemapper software I'm running. This is a valid application but I don't know enough to say if it's been misprogrammed/misconfigured. I could permit by adding 129.237.35.42 to Trusted Sites but is this wise ? Any advice on 0.0.0.0 welcome. thnx Geoff Think Default gateway: In firewall it can substitute for a specific interface when installing policy to more than one enforcement point/node at the same time. The destination address 0.0.0.0 indicates the default destination, if no other specific routes are configured for the given packet destination. This default destination is where all packets will be sent, and it is assumed that this destination is capable of forwarding these packets to the ultimate destination, or to another router along the appropriate path. "Geoff" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:3f536e76$0$236$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk... > First, if this is really basic stuff... > > I've got NIS 2003 on Win XP Pro. Standalone home compu...

array 0 0 0...
#include "callFirst.hpp" //contain iostream, namespace, and basic operations int main() { int x[10]; int Ops; for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++){ x[i] = i * 2; } int k = 0; while( k < 10){ int j = 0; cout << x[j]; cout << " "; j++; k++; } int dummy; cin >> dummy; return 0; } why I get output as 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ... suppose it should be 0 2 4 6 ... how do I fix this? m2k_stp@hotmail.com 写道: > #include "callFirst.h...

memcpy(0,0,0)
Hi, all. This question came up in a code review: are null pointers legal as arguments to memcpy? That is, is the program at the end of this article strictly conforming? (Of course, I check the FAQ first and could not find an answer on point.) I don't have C89 or C99 handy, so I checked draft N869 from here: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n869/n869.txt.gz I note the following: 7.21.1 String function conventions Where an argument declared as "size_t n" specifies the length of the array for a function, "n" can have the value z...

Behavior of 0 and 0.0...
I was playing around with the basic math functions, and I had some questions about the way Ruby handles operations with 0 and 0.0. first we have: $ ruby -v ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i486-linux] $ irb irb(main):001:0> 0/0 ZeroDivisionError: divided by 0 from (irb):1:in `/' from (irb):1 This is OK, it lets us know that we made a mistake somewhere, but when we try 0.0/0.0 we get: irb(main):002:0> 0.0/0.0 => NaN Mathematically, this is preferable to division error, but, maybe not from a programming standpoint? The question here is why should these tw...

what does the 224.0.0.0 do?
there is always a 224.0.0.0 route in all systems. what does it do and why do I need to have it? Carl Carl wrote: > there is always a 224.0.0.0 route in all systems. what does it do > and why do I need to have it? > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Multicast ...

0^0 ?
What does 0^0 equal? ALG48, and 49g on approx mode says one. Ti-89 gives one, but with the message, " warning 0^0 replaced by 1". HP49 on exact gives ?. You've stumbled upon one of Math's many mysteries ;-) http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.0.to.0.power.html "chris heaton" <cmhthethird@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:89d0a867.0310011839.18b9f546@posting.google.com... > What does 0^0 equal? ALG48, and 49g on approx mode says one. Ti-89 > gives one, but with the message, " warning 0^0 replaced by 1". HP49 on > exact gives ?. c...

Web resources about - ip 0.0.0.0 is attempting to .... - comp.security.firewalls

Facebook Seeks Detailed Information From Users Attempting To Block Or Report Other Users
Facebook continued down the path of seeking more information when users report potentially troublesome situations, following up its dialog box ...

Texas Tribune - "I was attempting to block a bill that... - Facebook
"I was attempting to block a bill that would have harmed thousands of women across the state of Texas,” Davis said of her filibuster. “Never ...

Man Confronts Thief Attempting to Steal his Bike - YouTube
... Watch Queue TV Queue Remove all Disconnect Loading... Watch Queue TV Queue __count__/__total__ Find out why Close Man Confronts Thief Attempting ...

Two arrested attempting to smuggle heroin into the UAE
Two of the 'most active and dangerous' drug smugglers in the UAE were arrested in April in possession of 55 kilograms of heroin by a team of ...

Fidel Castro 'doesn't trust the US' despite Obama's claims rival countries are attempting to reconcile ...
Fidel Castro does not "trust the US, nor have I spoken with them," the revolutionary icon, 88, said in a letter attributed to him and read out ...

Eight teenage girls arrested after attempting to rob woman in Shellharbour
Eight teenage girls have been arrested after a 19-year-old woman was threatened with a knife at a bus stop in the NSW Illawarra region.

Woman in a critical condition after attempting to rescue boy from surf
A woman who tried to help a young boy after he was swept off rocks on the NSW north coast has been taken to hospital in a critical condition. ...

New York news anchor arrested for attempting to choke his wife
A NEW York TV news anchor has been arrested for allegedly attempting to strangle his wife.

Abbott, Attempting To Order Coffee, Declares The Boats Have Stopped.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has been at the forefront of a ruckus this morning during an incident in which Mr. Abbott was attempting to order ...

Police officer shot after attempting to intercept a car in Melbourne's north-west
A policeman was shot in the back of his head as part of a drive-by shooting in Melbourne's north-west early on Tuesday.