Personal Firewalls: ZoneAlarm vs Sygate vs PC-cillin

How do these personal firewalls rate against each other?

ZoneAlarm (free or Pro)
Sygate Personal Firewall (free or Pro)
PC-cillin Security Suite (integrated firewall, cranked-up to 'high')

Which provides the best protection, uses the least resources, and is most
stable?

Thanks!

comp.security.firewalls 10671 articles. 0 followers. dfinc1988 (97) is leader. Post Follow

http://www.firewall-net.com/en/home/compare.php
"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in

> http://www.firewall-net.com/en/home/compare.php

C'mon! That page is so old it's still calling Kerio "Tiny."

For the OP, I would choose Sygate.

--
"No sports writers were harmed during the making of this post. And what I
want to know is - why not?"
On 1 Jun 2005 20:10:05 GMT, elaich <a@b.c> wrote:

>"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in
>
>> http://www.firewall-net.com/en/home/compare.php
>
>C'mon! That page is so old it's still calling Kerio "Tiny."
>
>For the OP, I would choose Sygate.

You're right ...

http://www.firewallguide.com/freeware.htm

Anonymous wrote:

> How do these personal firewalls rate against each other?
>
> ZoneAlarm (free or Pro)
> Sygate Personal Firewall (free or Pro)
> PC-cillin Security Suite (integrated firewall, cranked-up to 'high')
>
> Which provides the best protection, uses the least resources, and is most
> stable?

They each have full trialware you can install and find out for yourself.

Duane :)
0
notme13 (2648)

Sygate Personal Firewall, ZoneAlarm, ZoneAlarm Pro
How do these firewalls compare to each other? Sheila sheila_bailey@hotmail.com wrote: > How do these firewalls compare to each other? > > Sheila > Some of this data is a little old, but it's a start: http://www.agnitum.com/php_scripts/compare2.php http://www.smartcomparisons.com/page4.html This one is fairly recent: http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.htm Before you leap into anything, first determine just what kind of protection you really *need*. You probably will need to do a lot of reading and thinking, first. ...

Home Firewall vs Corporate Firewall
Hi, I work for a small firm that connects to the internet via ADSL. We use a Cisco 675 Router that is configured to provide NAT. This Cisco connects directly to a switch and out to our network. We have no separate firewall. I have been researching firewalls and network security appliances. When I research for small to medium business, I find all kinds of solutions starting around the $800 mark and up. My boss wants to know why we can't use a cheap home firewall under $100. We are near 40 users of a 3 mbps ADSL connection and have an average monthly throughput of around 50 GB. I would like to be able to have VPN access to our network and also have website filtering/blocking. There are cheap home units that CLAIM to do all of this. My question: What are the major differences between the cheaper home units and the $800 and up corporate units? How can I convince my boss that the under $100 solution is not a wise move? Any help would be greatly appreciated! James JJ wrote: > Hi, > > I work for a small firm that connects to the internet via ADSL. We use a > Cisco 675 Router that is configured to provide NAT. This Cisco connects > directly to a switch and out to our network. We have no separate firewall. > > I have been researching firewalls and network security appliances. When I > research for small to medium business, I find all kinds of solutions > starting around the $800 mark and up. My boss wants to know why we can&#...

LavaSoft Firewall -vs- Outpost Pro Firewall
These two firewalls look and act identically. Can anybody tell me what is to distinguish the two of them from each other? Mike Parker mdpc@panix.com In article <dlfnfi$43t$1@ip68-7-154-143.sd.sd.cox.net>, mdpc@ip68-7-154- 143.sd.sd.cox.net says... > These two firewalls look and act identically. Can anybody > tell me what is to distinguish the two of them from each other? > > Mike Parker > mdpc@panix.com > I believe that Lavasoft has licensed a version of Outpost with just the Attack Detection plugin only, whereas the full version of Outpost 3 also has Active Content, Ads, Anti-Spyware, Attachment Quarantine, Content and DNS Cache plugins. -- Kerodo ...

Software Firewalls vs. Hardware Firewalls.- Finally Some Unbiased Commonsense!
http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webmaster/article.php/3103431 terry8@terry.no_place wrote: > http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webmaster/article.php/3103431 Now, let's see ... | When you first set up a software firewall, you can specify which | applications are allowed to communicate over the Internet from that | PC. Programs that aren't explicitly allowed to do so are either | blocked or else the user is prompted for confirmation before the | traffic is allowed to pass. Therefore, it would likely intercept this | kind of traffic before it left your computer. Of course this simply isn't true, because programs can remotely control other programs that are allowed to communicate, thus rendering that kind of "protection" void. Plus, what people seem to be happily ignoring all the time: once this scenario becomes reality, your security HAS BEEN COMPROMISED ALREADY, because malware obviously did penetrate your perimeter and is active and running in your local network. What you want in a situation like that is to get rid of the malware entirely, not to somehow try to cripple it to some extent. | One obvious downside to software firewalls is that they can only | protect the machine they're installed on, so if you have multiple | computers (which many small offices do), you need to buy, install, and | configure a software firewall separately on each machine. This can get | expensive and can be difficult to manage if you have a lot of | co...

Router/Firewall/VPN Appliance vs. Router and firewall appliances
My company is getting ready to move to a new office where they will have a dedicated T1 for internet access. The company has 20 employess at the moment and might grow larger with in the next 2 years. They will need the ability to have a site-to-site and mobile VPN access. My question is in regards to the router and firewall hardware. Should we have a all in one appliance to serve as the Router/Firewall/VPN or should we have them seperated. For example, a router to handle the T1 connection and a Firewall/VPN appliance. What would be best for performance and security. Any suggestions, pros & cons, and specific brands/models would be appriciated. Thanks in advance, Elguapaul Doesn't matter. Just buy whatever offers the features you require. There is no inherent better or worse for modular verses combined devices. Just depends on the feature set. -Frank "Elguapaul" <elguapaul@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1146778117.777733.177260@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > My company is getting ready to move to a new office where they will > have a dedicated T1 for internet access. The company has 20 employess > at the moment and might grow larger with in the next 2 years. They > will need the ability to have a site-to-site and mobile VPN access. My > question is in regards to the router and firewall hardware. Should we > have a all in one appliance to serve as the Router/Firewall/VPN or > should we have them seperated. For ...

ex vs. em vs. px vs. % vs. in.
Hello All, I am looking for a for a good tutorial on font size definitions in a CSS. A URL to a good tutorial with demo/example will help. I am trying to create a CSS for DocBook XML Document, but I m unable to get a cross browser/platform compatibility. I want the documents to look fairly similar on all platforms/browsers. Here is my CSS -> http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/new.css And here are 2 plaint text documents using that CSS: http://tinyurl.com/yu3j8 http://tinyurl.com/2zwoh More documents here -> http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/#88 I was told that I should always use...

Sygate Personal Firewall PRO and my Lan security
Hi all, before to explain my problem I must explain my LAN configuration: Pc1 -> 192.168.0.1 connected with a modem USB to internet Pc2 -> 192.168.0.2 connected with Pc1 with a cross cable and surf in Internet using Pc1 On Pc1 is installed Sygate Personal Firewall PRO (last release) with these advanced rules: - 1st Rule applied on the Ethernet network interface: All allowed for IP: 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.255 (broadcast) - 2nd Rule applied for all network interfaces (also modem ADSL): Block all traffic inbound and outbound for TCP and UDP protocol for the ports 135, 1002, 1025, 17...

JSP vs. Struts vs. JSF vs. Swing vs. Tapestry vs. Spring vs. Rails
I am a JSP developer and am constantly feeling like I am missing the boat by not using any of the other frameworks out there. However, the couple I have looked at (JSF and Rails) don't impress me. In JSP, I keep all of my logic in Servlets/Beans and all of my presentation in the JSP file, making custom tags when I need to do some HTML that involves some logic. So Servlets and Tags are the glue to the JSPs and Beans. I don't see what is wrong with this model. The biggest advantage is its flexible. An example of my frustation with JSF (which is different than all the other complaints...

Freebie firewalls: Sygate Personal versus ZoneAlarm
I've have only a couple times seen ZoneAlarm (free version) in operation. It seems to have the nasty habit of popping up alerts for processes that want to make an Internet connection but it doesn't identify the process. Instead the user has to open the web interface to ZoneAlarm's configuration to see which processes have a "?" next to them and then decide what default behavior to assign. Other than this, is there any significant difference between these two freebie firewalls? The freebie Sygate Personal notes in its comparison to its Pro version that it doesn't s...

Linux security vs Windows with A/V software and firewall.
I feel more secure with my windows system builtin firewall and anti-virus software. Some people claimed linux was fine without anti-virus software. Isn't it's default settings more susceptible to trojans and being rooted then my windows system. www.bylo.org bylo@bylo.org?Subject=Yo Bylo: In article <3959aa27babe73fb7ad80352cf818b99@dizum.com>, Nomen Nescio says... > I feel more secure with my windows system builtin firewall and anti-virus software. > Some people claimed linux was fine without anti-virus software. Isn't > it's default settings more susceptib...

Magic vs MiNT vs Gevena vs TOS vs...
Hi all, I'm starting this thread for 2 reasons: a) I'm a bit tired of reading the same subject again and again and decided to give it a little twist, b) Personal need. So, without any further ado, my situation is this: I have a stock STE with 4 Megs of memory, in which I'll be adding a hard drive (and maybe more) in this week. Being a floppy user (Atari-wise) all these years I never thought of having any other OSes than plain old TOS, but now, since I'll be getting some more space, I thought I might as well throw in a desktop/accs/resident progs setup there as well...

TCP RST security vs. consumer-grade firewalls / NATs
We've run into the following case, which I've not managed to find any reference to in the usual places: 1) TCP connection is in ESTABLISHED state, with the server sending data in response to a client request (in our case it's NNTP, but that doesn't in itself matter) 2) User decides to abort the transfer, and hits "cancel" in his client program, which closes the socket 3) Client host sends FIN from the closed socket as normal. Since data is in-flight from the server, the next segment to arrive then provokes an RST, as normal. 4) Server is running a re...

Reccs for firewall upgrade- small business, 1 remote site, WAN failover- Fortigate vs. Netscreen vs. others?
We're looking to upgrade our current network/firewall setup at our main office. We currently use a Cisco pix 506 on a T1 wan connection. We also have a DSL line as a backup that we manually failover. Our main office has 40-50 users and we have a remote office with 10 users also using a PIX 506 and have a site-to-site VPN between the two offices. What we want to do is upgrade the firewall on the home office, to something that will allow for automatic failover of our T1 and DSL lines (i.e. dual WAN support). The site-to-site VPN to our remote office would also need to automatically failover. Load balancing would be a plus but not sure what products include this other than Netscreen (does the Fortigate support this?). We would also like to setup a DMZ for our servers, and almost all products we're looking at allow this so I don't see this being a big issue. VPN performance is important too. We do not need remote client VPN functionality as we use Citrix for remote access. I've had experience running Checkpoint/Nokia in the past but that still seems to be on the more expensive side as there are a lot of newer appliances that are more cost effective. I'm looking at the Fortigate 60 and 100A, as well as the Netscreen 5GT with the extended license. Cisco and Checkpoint seem way overpriced. How has the Juniper Networks acquisition of Netscreen played out now that it has been 2 years since? Juniper also has released its own products, the SSG 5 that seem...

Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005
Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Security programs 2005 - Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Multi CD NR 17 543 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Base Module Multi CD NR 17 544 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 ...

Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Security programs 2005 - Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Multi CD NR 17 543 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Base Module Multi CD NR 17 544 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Ser...

Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005
Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Security programs 2005 - Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Multi CD NR 17 543 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Base Module Multi CD NR 17 544 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Multi CD NR 17 545 Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005 CD NR 17 234 Symantec Client Security Corporate Edition v2.0 CD NR 15 321 Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange 4.0 CD NR 13 364 Steganos Internet Security 7 CD NR 16 968 McAfee Internet Security Suite V7.0 2005 CD NR 16 727 Security Service (c) McAfee CD NR 11 362 Symantec Norton Internet Security v3.0 For Mac OSX CD NR 12 698 Microsoft Windows XP SP2, With Advanced Security Technologies. CD NR 16 244 PANDA PLATINUM INTERNET SECURITY V8.05 SUB100 CD NR 16 096 Panda Platinum Internet SEcurity *Englsih-Spanish* 14 184 IBM Tivoli Security Manager v5.1 (c) IBM CD NR 15 750 Finjan Vital Securit...

pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005
pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- pgp programs 2005 - PGP.CommandLine.for.Linux.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.for.Solaris.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.v8.5.0 (week 31/2004) PGP.Desktop.v8.1.for.Windows PGP.Personal.Desktop.v8.1.for.Macintosh (week 26/2004) PGP.Enterprise.v8.0.3 (week 49/20030 PGP.v8.0.3 (week 42/2003) 15/...

pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005
pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- pgp programs 2005 - PGP.CommandLine.for.Linux.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.for.Solaris.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.v8.5.0 (week 31/2004) PGP.Desktop.v8.1.for.Windows PGP.Personal.Desktop.v8.1.for.Macintosh (week 26/2004) PGP.Enterprise.v8.0.3 (week 49/20030 PGP.v8.0.3 (week 42/2003) 15/...

Mac vs PC vs Cost.
Some interesting articles. I don't agree with everything but the discussion points are interesting. http://computer.howstuffworks.com/macs/macs-more-expensive.htm https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2n7mjm/are_macs_really_more_expensive_than_pcs_hint_not/ http://www.extremetech.com/computing/173695-apples-new-overpriced-10000-mac-pro-is-2000-cheaper-than-the-equivalent-windows-pc http://www.city-data.com/forum/computers/2240843-mac-overpriced-worth.html On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 11:48:09 AM UTC-4, Tomas wrote: > Some interesting articles. I don't agree with ev...

router vs firewall?
I just got an upgrade for my cable broadband with a static IP address from Comcast. Belatedly I found out that they turn the firewall of their router off once your got a static. I do have a ZoneAlarm which seems to be doing a good job but people in the know do recommend a hardware firewall installed too. I called Comcast and they recommended not to assign the static IP address to the computer but instead to a router which will be put in between the modem and the machine. I have had such configurations before. A few months ago I got rid of three Linksys and Dlink routers I accumulated over the ...

Microsoft Firewall vs ????

Router vs. Firewall?
Hi, I have a Linksys router connected to a cable modem. The router is connected with 3 office computers, one of which has Windows XP Pro Remote Desktop on it. I want to log on to this machine from home. So, on the router, I forward the proper TCP ports to this machine. I understand that now the router is visible to the outside world. I wonder if I should implement a firewall. It seems like that the router can only forward traffic directed to the specific ports for Remote Desktop while other ports are not open. Does this give me enough security? Can an intruder open up other por...

Firewall vs. router
Hi, I looked on the Net, but I did not find quite a good answer on the question I have. I need something to protect my network. I have worked with both routers and firewalls and generally know what they are for, however I don't have in-depth knowledge about that. Is there a good explanation and comparisons of the features that routers and firewalls provide? E.g. Cisco PIX vs Cisco 1800. It's not a "vs" exactly, since this would be comparing two things that are not comparable - what I am looking for is "what the routers are for" and "what the firewalls are for&...

Sygate personal firewall
hi all I notice that there are no treads about sygate persoanl firewall.(latest version...free) I wonder if this makes it good or bad,?? I took zone alarm off as I was getting conflicts with another program. put sygate personal firewall on and it seems very good. it alows you to do a security check which seems to be effective. The only problem I have with it is that it,for some reason it realy slows one program down that I use all the time which is Epson photoquicker 3.5 this comes with the r300 printer. strange this. Anyone got any views on sygate and why it would slow one program down. I ran...

Web resources about - Personal Firewalls: ZoneAlarm vs Sygate vs PC-cillin - comp.security.firewalls