Personal Firewalls: ZoneAlarm vs Sygate vs PC-cillin

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How do these personal firewalls rate against each other?

ZoneAlarm (free or Pro)
Sygate Personal Firewall (free or Pro)
PC-cillin Security Suite (integrated firewall, cranked-up to 'high')

Which provides the best protection, uses the least resources, and is most
stable?

Thanks!

0
Reply anonymous5006 (20) 6/1/2005 1:35:40 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 13:35:40 GMT, "Anonymous" <Anonymous@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>How do these personal firewalls rate against each other?
>
>ZoneAlarm (free or Pro)
>Sygate Personal Firewall (free or Pro)
>PC-cillin Security Suite (integrated firewall, cranked-up to 'high')
>
>Which provides the best protection, uses the least resources, and is most
>stable?
>
>Thanks!

http://www.firewall-net.com/en/home/compare.php
0
Reply traxless2553 (34) 6/1/2005 6:04:29 PM

"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in

> http://www.firewall-net.com/en/home/compare.php

C'mon! That page is so old it's still calling Kerio "Tiny."

For the OP, I would choose Sygate.

--
"No sports writers were harmed during the making of this post. And what I
want to know is - why not?"

On 1 Jun 2005 20:10:05 GMT, elaich <a@b.c> wrote:

>"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in
>
>> http://www.firewall-net.com/en/home/compare.php
>
>C'mon! That page is so old it's still calling Kerio "Tiny."
>
>For the OP, I would choose Sygate.

You're right ...

http://www.firewallguide.com/freeware.htm

0
Reply traxless2553 (34) 6/1/2005 8:13:20 PM

Anonymous wrote:

> How do these personal firewalls rate against each other?
>
> ZoneAlarm (free or Pro)
> Sygate Personal Firewall (free or Pro)
> PC-cillin Security Suite (integrated firewall, cranked-up to 'high')
>
> Which provides the best protection, uses the least resources, and is most
> stable?

They each have full trialware you can install and find out for yourself.

Duane :)
0
Reply notme13 (2648) 6/1/2005 8:27:59 PM
comp.security.firewalls 10639 articles. 1 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Sygate Personal Firewall Pro vs. hardware solution
How secure is my laptop, running its current installation of Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, as opposed to using an external hardware solution? Is a software firewall really capable of totally isolating the entire machine from any type of attack, just like a firewall solution could? yo@viacorreo.net wrote in news:41116beb$1_1@127.0.0.1: > How secure is my laptop, running its current installation of Sygate > Personal Firewall Pro, as opposed to using an external hardware > solution? > > Is a software firewall really capable of totally isolating the entire > machine from any...

Modem firewall -vs- Zonealarm -vs- seperate firewall box
I am getting ADSL put on shortly, and the modem/router I will be getting is a "Billion BIPAC 7100 PRO ADSL Modem/Router". This will have two computers connected to it sharing a connection. What I am wondering is: 1. The modem claims "NAT Technology offers security for the network with an inbuilt firewall". How secure are these inbuilt firewalls? 2. If I load Zonealarm (possibly pro) onto the two machines using the internet connection, would this be secure enough? 3. I have an old 486DX100 that i could turn into a seperate firewall if needed. Is this the solution that eve...

Sygate Personal Firewall, ZoneAlarm, ZoneAlarm Pro
How do these firewalls compare to each other? Sheila sheila_bailey@hotmail.com wrote: > How do these firewalls compare to each other? > > Sheila > Some of this data is a little old, but it's a start: http://www.agnitum.com/php_scripts/compare2.php http://www.smartcomparisons.com/page4.html This one is fairly recent: http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.htm Before you leap into anything, first determine just what kind of protection you really *need*. You probably will need to do a lot of reading and thinking, first. ...

ZoneAlarm vs. Windows XP firewall
Which is the better firewall to use, the free ZoneAlarm or the Windows XP firewall? Don't even bother with the XP firewall, its easily bypassed by a couple entries to the windows registry which makes it useless, and its inbound only. "lebrad" <spore_6@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Z2bWc.188771$J06.93489@pd7tw2no... Which is the better firewall to use, the free ZoneAlarm or the Windows XP firewall? That was then, SP2, is now, and it protects both in, and out. In addition to that, ZoneAlarm is a has-been, failing quickly. Bill Crocker "EnigmaHex&qu...

Norton Personal Firewall vs Ositis Winproxy?
Hi there y'all I've got a problem: I installed NPF 2004, and I've been running Ositis Winproxy 5 because of the internet sharing function. Now I've disabled the firewall option of Winproxy, and kept the NPF options standard. The problem is now that the connection keeps dropping every two minutes. For some reason NPF says "IP-address NAME(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) is disappeared and no longer secured". One second later it says "Protects your connection with a new detected network on the adapter "Network adapter (IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)" I am not sure if No...

MS Flightsimulator 2004 with Sygate Personal Firewall / ZoneAlarm
Hi, I noticed i had a terrible slowdown of framerates using flightsim 2004 in multiplayermode. Taskmanager told me that smc.exe was using 50% or more of the cpu cycles. SMC.EXE is the Sygate PF. Checking Google I noticed more people experience that problem when gaming online in a winxp/sygate configuration. So I uninstalled Sygate and downloaded ZoneAlarm pro (version 4.5.530). Now the framerate is ok, but I need to exit ZoneAlarm, start flightsim, open a multiplayer session and start ZoneAlarm again. If I try to open a MP session when ZA is activated, it simply freezes and a hard reboo...

Freebie firewalls: Sygate Personal versus ZoneAlarm
I've have only a couple times seen ZoneAlarm (free version) in operation. It seems to have the nasty habit of popping up alerts for processes that want to make an Internet connection but it doesn't identify the process. Instead the user has to open the web interface to ZoneAlarm's configuration to see which processes have a "?" next to them and then decide what default behavior to assign. Other than this, is there any significant difference between these two freebie firewalls? The freebie Sygate Personal notes in its comparison to its Pro version that it doesn't s...

Belkin F5D modem/wireless router vs Mcafee personal firewall plus?
Hi, I have a quick question for you all. I used to have my broadband connection behind McAfee Personal Firewall plus which seemed to work well and had the extra level of security with the application authorisation process etc. I have moved over to using the Belkin ADSL modem/wireless router which has a hardware firewall built in. The questions I'd like answered are: 1) Which is better, the hardware wall that doesn't allow application approval/rejection 2) The constantly updated software 'wall' 3) Both? Belkin (obviously) say use the built-in firewall and uninstall Mcafee ...

InDesign: Mac vs PC (was Quark: Mac vs PC)
As I've pointed out to the employee who uses Quark on a Mac at the nonprofit, it's possible that she doesn't use enough of the features of Quark to test its limitations, whether Mac or PC. What about InDesign? If she's not using the wide range of features, including those which make it superior to Quark, does it matter on which platform she uses it? Is it any more difficult to learn than Quark? -- Bob Ball If you want to think positive thoughts, surround yourself with positive people. If you want to email me, eliminate the negative. ...

Mint vs. PCLOS vs. PC-BSD Which to choose?
I've been an Ubuntu user for some time, but there are a few things I'm not fond of. I'll spare the details, but basically I'm down to these three: Linux Mint, PCLOS 2007 Final, and PC-BSD. I'm not expecting everyone to be fully proficient in all of these, but I'd be happy to hear some thoughts... or do I just wait to see if my issues are addressed in the next (K)Ubuntu. Thanks, Dominic On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:03:50 +0000, dxt178 wrote: > I've been an Ubuntu user for some time, but there are a few things I'm > not fond of. I'll spare the details, but...

PowerBook vs. ThinkPad (rather than Mac vs. PC)
I am interested in an opbective comparison between PowerBooks (and OS X) with ThinkPads (and Windows XP). The problem I have is that most Mac and PC acolytes tend to be (a) blind to the advantages of the �other� system, and (b) clueless as to the real true advantages of the �other� because they are so ensconced in their own chosen system. Unfortunately it is difficult to find a power user who is equally familiar, and comfortable, with both Macs and PCs. I, for one, am clearly of the PC camp, but not just PC; I have used ThinkPad's ever since the first one was created in Japan (only for t...

PC vs Win vs Mac�How to pick? Dvorak got it right
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1641425,00.asp Dvorak hit the nail squarely on the head for a change. -- Regards, JP "The measure of a man is what he will do knowing he will get nothing in return" In article <jpolaski-569F4E.13291910092004@netnews.comcast.net>, Jim Polaski <jpolaski@NOSpaMync.net> wrote: > http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1641425,00.asp > > Dvorak hit the nail squarely on the head for a change. No, actually, he's wrong. "Im trying to make the point that the criteria that define the Mac as a superior machine are not...

Re: PC vs Win vs Mac<How to pick? Dvorak got it right
"Elizabot v2.0.1" <Elizabot@NsOpSyPmAaMc.com> wrote in article 4145cc2c$0$58895$75868355@news.frii.net on 9/13/04 9:34 AM: >> My Powerbook has worked excellent for the three months I have >> had it. Supernews works great for me AND whatever low life jerkoff that >> posts occasionally using my name. >> > > Snit's been having problems posting through Supernews, so there's a fair > chance "whatever low life jerk that posts" with your name may be absent > for a while. Care to support your accusation? Snit wrote: > &quo...

Re: PC vs Win vs Mac<How to pick? Dvorak got it right #4
"Awnold" <govern@ator.com> wrote in article 10kc060mgk69ld8@corp.supernews.com on 9/13/04 1:16 PM: > > "Steve Carroll" <fretwizz@NOSPAMattbi.com> wrote in message > news:fretwizz-99CA60.14062413092004@netnews.comcast.net... >> In article <ci4tm3$glt@odah37.prod.google.com>, >> "Snit" <CSMA_SNIT@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >> >>> "John" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in article >>> 10kbu44iil6ha02@corp.supernews.com on 9/13/04 12:41 PM: >>> >>>>>> My Powerbook has w...

Re: PC vs Win vs Mac<How to pick? Dvorak got it right #2
"Elizabot v2.0.1" <Elizabot@NsOpSyPmAaMc.com> wrote in article 4145f5bc$0$58893$75868355@news.frii.net on 9/13/04 12:32 PM: > Snit wrote: > >> "Elizabot v2.0.1" <Elizabot@NsOpSyPmAaMc.com> wrote in article >> 4145cc2c$0$58895$75868355@news.frii.net on 9/13/04 9:34 AM: >> >> >>>> My Powerbook has worked excellent for the three months I have had >>>> it. Supernews works great for me AND whatever low life jerkoff >>>> that posts occasionally using my name. >>> >>> Snit's been h...

Re: PC vs Win vs Mac<How to pick? Dvorak got it right #3
"John" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in article 10kbu44iil6ha02@corp.supernews.com on 9/13/04 12:41 PM: >>> My Powerbook has worked excellent for the three months I have had >>> it. Supernews works great for me AND whatever low life jerkoff >>> that posts occasionally using my name. >>> >> >> Snit's been having problems posting through Supernews, so there's a >> fair chance "whatever low life jerk that posts" with your name may >> be absent for a while. > > If you can show that it is Snit I will t...

Re: PC vs Win vs Mac<How to pick? Dvorak got it right #5
"Elizabot v2.0.1" <Elizabot@NsOpSyPmAaMc.com> wrote in article 4145cc2c$0$58895$75868355@news.frii.net on 9/13/04 9:34 AM: >> My Powerbook has worked excellent for the three months I have had >> it. Supernews works great for me AND whatever low life jerkoff that >> posts occasionally using my name. >> > > Snit's been having problems posting through Supernews, so there's a > fair chance "whatever low life jerk that posts" with your name may be > absent for a while. This seems to not be true. Hmmm, I wonder why John seems ...

hardware firewall vs software firewall
I've long been a believer that a hardware firewall with a corresponding internal network using private IP addresses (i.e. 192.168.1.xxx) is a superior method of blocking out hackers. However, as technology and malicious individuals advance in this cyber world, I'm wondering whether I should re-think my stand. My home network faces the world with a linksys router and uses the private IPs inside. In addition, each individual computer has either McAfee Internet Security Suite or Panda Platinum Security employed for virus protection, privacy, ad-blocking,etc. However I have not installed t...

Home Firewall vs Corporate Firewall
Hi, I work for a small firm that connects to the internet via ADSL. We use a Cisco 675 Router that is configured to provide NAT. This Cisco connects directly to a switch and out to our network. We have no separate firewall. I have been researching firewalls and network security appliances. When I research for small to medium business, I find all kinds of solutions starting around the $800 mark and up. My boss wants to know why we can't use a cheap home firewall under $100. We are near 40 users of a 3 mbps ADSL connection and have an average monthly throughput of around 50 GB. I wo...

Reccs for firewall upgrade- small business, 1 remote site, WAN failover- Fortigate vs. Netscreen vs. others?
We're looking to upgrade our current network/firewall setup at our main office. We currently use a Cisco pix 506 on a T1 wan connection. We also have a DSL line as a backup that we manually failover. Our main office has 40-50 users and we have a remote office with 10 users also using a PIX 506 and have a site-to-site VPN between the two offices. What we want to do is upgrade the firewall on the home office, to something that will allow for automatic failover of our T1 and DSL lines (i.e. dual WAN support). The site-to-site VPN to our remote office would also need to automatically fail...

FreeBSD Firewall Questions: (Regular) Packet Filtering vs. Stateful Packet Filtering vs. Dynamic Proxy Packet Filtering
net: i have decided to make a push to learn unix/linux and have been told by many that i should start with a solid distribution, so i have chosen freebsd. the problem is - i want to use freebsd as a gateway/router/firewall (security solution), but do not know if freebsd will be a functional solution or can handle the functionality i am looking for... parameters: connectivity= *current - internet <--> dsl modem <-10/100-> (firewall[systems]) *desired - internet <--> dsl modem <-10/100-> freebsd <-10/100-> systems freebsd machine= AMD Duron 900Mhz...

Can I install VS.net 2005 / VS.net 2002 / SQL 2005 / SQL 2000 in one PC win2000 sp4?
P4 2.8G Hz, 512 M RAM. thanks. Not sure about the two versions of VS but you can have SQL 2000,SQL2005 and VS2005 on one machine. But since your machine only has 512 Mb of RAM I expect it to be rather slow. I have 1,5 Gb Ram and that works nice. Markus To add to Markus' response, you can install VS 2002, 2003 and 2005 side-by-side. Performance may suffer with 512 MB RAM if you have multiple IDEs open and SQL instances running. Performance is good on my Windows XP 1GB RAM box -- Hope this helps. Dan Guzman SQL Server MVP "athos" <athos.liu@gmail.com> wrote in ...

Personal opinions on all-in-one's requested
Dear subscribers, You would do me a big favor if You would tell me Your experiences and opinions regarding the printers mentioned above. By the way: Would buying separate parts make a big difference in quality? It is for my parents and an all-in-one looks easier for them, for they are not that young anymore ;-). But if their quality is poor, I would reconsider this. Thanks in advance! Sincere greetings, Rene Harrie wrote: > Dear subscribers, > > You would do me a big favor if You would tell me Your experiences and > opinions regarding the printers mentioned...

Proxy/Firewall vs. Router based Firewall?
Here is the situation. We are a small business with WinNT/2000 based network and MS Proxy 2.0 as proxy/firewall. This was set up few years ago and left alone. Our users need basic services like internet, e-mail hosted by ISP etc. My company has asked me to get rid of Proxy as no one else in the company is familiar with it. We have an SDSL line and I was thinking of using our ISP's router as the firewall? I guess they offer some basic firewall capabilities. I just need your thoughts on if it is a good idea to do so and any recommendations will be helpful. thanks. "Mickee&quo...