Personal Firewalls: ZoneAlarm vs Sygate vs PC-cillin

How do these personal firewalls rate against each other?

ZoneAlarm (free or Pro)
Sygate Personal Firewall (free or Pro)
PC-cillin Security Suite (integrated firewall, cranked-up to 'high')

Which provides the best protection, uses the least resources, and is most
stable?

Thanks!

comp.security.firewalls 10657 articles. 2 followers. dfinc1988 (97) is leader. Post Follow

http://www.firewall-net.com/en/home/compare.php
"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in

> http://www.firewall-net.com/en/home/compare.php

C'mon! That page is so old it's still calling Kerio "Tiny."

For the OP, I would choose Sygate.

--
"No sports writers were harmed during the making of this post. And what I
want to know is - why not?"
On 1 Jun 2005 20:10:05 GMT, elaich <a@b.c> wrote:

>"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in
>
>> http://www.firewall-net.com/en/home/compare.php
>
>C'mon! That page is so old it's still calling Kerio "Tiny."
>
>For the OP, I would choose Sygate.

You're right ...

http://www.firewallguide.com/freeware.htm

Anonymous wrote:

> How do these personal firewalls rate against each other?
>
> ZoneAlarm (free or Pro)
> Sygate Personal Firewall (free or Pro)
> PC-cillin Security Suite (integrated firewall, cranked-up to 'high')
>
> Which provides the best protection, uses the least resources, and is most
> stable?

They each have full trialware you can install and find out for yourself.

Duane :)
0
notme13 (2648)

Personal information handling in linux?
Hello I have recently started to look into the possibility of migrating a small office to Linux. From what I have learned so far most needed programs are readilly avaliable but I lack something for personal information management. This is emails, documents, images files etc. Things that would be nice to have easily searchable and categorizable in different ways. I have found something from http://www.osafoundation.org/ It is called chandler and it has some nice vision statements but it is in a very early stage of development. I don't mind dowing some programming myself but Chandler...

Lifedrive vs dell axim 50v
Anyone have a feeling of whic would be preferred. Need wifi. RPR > Anyone have a feeling of whic would be preferred. Need wifi. From what I can see, and I haven't seen the LifeDrive in person, is a that it had a larger screen and much greater initial storage capability (thanks to the hard drive built in). Now, thanks to those two items, it is also larger than the Dell Axim 50v, but it also replaces that other harddrive MP3 device you may have, so.. In article <m7Ghe.18$VS6.14@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>, rprood@prodigy.net says... > Anyone hav...

BA356 16-bit (wide) personality module
Continuing my tests.... All of my shelves and cables seem OK and I've weeded out the few bad disks I have. Now I'm testing controllers. Apparently, the SCSI connector on the side of this piece of hardware is designed to be connected to the controller and the one at the front is for daisy-chaining to other systems. Unfortunately, a standard cable won't fit on the side. The only such angled cable I have have has a VHDCI on the free end. Great for testing controllers which are VHCDI, but unfortunately due to lack of cables I can't test any controllers with the wide 68-p...

A good firewall tutorial? #2
Is there any good firewall tutorial available on the Web? Which one would you recommend? I have Firewalls for Dummies Ebook but its about 7.5Mb if you have BB I will zip 4 u? "totojepast" <totojepast@atlas.cz> wrote in message news:1114192313.887267.308790@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Is there any good firewall tutorial available on the Web? Which one > would you recommend? > Free online course here: http://courses.help.com/courses/overview.jsp?courseId=2793&mcid=e407&tag=nl.e407 "totojepast" <totojepast@atlas.cz> wrote in message...

Trouble setting up I-cubed E602 card on a RISC PC Card Greyed out
I hope somebody can help me out with this problem. Ive installed an I-Cubed E602 card into my RISC PC Strong Arm with RISC OS 4.02. I can see the card modules from the command prompt. EHTEST runs fine for example. But when I try to set it up in Network Configuration, Internet, Interfaces the card is there but the writing and both the tick box and configure box are greyed out. I just can't access it? EtherH is version 4.04. Many thanks! Peter Vanpeebles <peetvanpeebles@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > I hope somebody can help me out with this problem. > > Ive in...

How can I experiment with php on my pc?
I want to be able to play around with some php scripting on my pc without paying a company to host a domain. I have downloaded php onto my pc, at least I think I have, a folder called php has appeared on my C: drive, and I have downloaded and installed the Abyss web server and that appears to be working. I also have HTML Kit as my html editor. How do I get simple php scripts to work properly on my pc though? Where do I save the files? I know this may sound so simplistic to some, but I'm getting a real headache reading the php manual, frankly I don't understand half of it. Regards ...

From a former Windows user and no personal fan of Jobs
"An amazing legacy of fierce quality I've related my own history with Jobs, which was hardly positive. But what Jobs has done for Apple, the technology and media industry at large, and for users everywhere is nothing short of amazing. In almost every case, Apple has set the bar for how things should be, so every competitors -- whether it is Windows, Android, or an app store -- is measured by the standards Apple, and Jobs, has set. It takes a fierce person to do that -- and a fierce person to do it over and over again. For years, I was platform-agnostic, but when Window...

Sygate Firewall Load-Time
I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516 (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300). The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons in my sys tray (NAV inactive and video card). This delay presumably means I am unprotected for 45 seconds after each boot. Is this unprotected period significant, and would adding the Windows firewall be advisable? I know SPF Pro addresses this problem, but things are running so smoothly I don't want to stir the pot by uninstalling SPF (free) and installing SPF Pro. (I would also say that reading the...

FS: Return to Zork PC CD-ROM
Box has been opened, but along with the documentation and CD is in excellent condition. Make me an offer. Payment up front. I'm willing to ship anywhere in the world, but will only accept payment by Paypal. - Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. ...

WinAnsiEncoding vs unicode
Hello! I have seen in a Font object that the directory contains a "Encoding" key. This is the font encoding and I can choose between WinAnsiEncoding, MacRomacEncoding and MacExpertEncoding. How do those encodings relate to unicode and the latin encodings? Why isnt there a unicode encoding? The whole idea with connecting an encoding to a certain operating system seems a bit "perverse", I must say. Anyone that agree with me? /Anders "Anders Lind?n" <ohoj@nisse.xx> wrote: > X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4807.1700 > > I have seen...

what are the benefits in using commercial compilers like intel, greenhill or portland compared to free c compiles like gcc, lcc, tcc, TenDRA, sun and others? geletine wrote: > what are the benefits in using commercial compilers like intel, > greenhill or portland compared to free c compiles like gcc, lcc, tcc, > TenDRA, sun and others? > <mostly non-topical> As we have no idea of your interests, potential benefits may not be meaningful in your projects. More than one of these commercial compilers is more efficient about vectorization, although gcc is closing the gap. <...

Make Free Pc to Phone Calls..!!
Make Free Unlimited Phone Calls Yes its true..International and national both. Free Calls to India too..!! Check them at- http://freepctophonecalls.blogspot.com/ ...

Person To Person page
This could be the start of something beautiful. Or it could turn into a raging cauldron of flames and bitter recriminations. Other than that, I feel pretty good about it. http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/video/P2P.html Foundt the file transfer package for Person To Person. Only thing left is to install it and use it. Louis Ohland wrote: > This could be the start of something beautiful. Or it could turn into > a raging cauldron of flames and bitter recriminations. Other than that, > I feel pretty good about it. > > http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/video/P2...

String new vs ''
Hi, Is there any difference between m := ''. m2 := String new that I should be aware of? Thanks Fernando, > Is there any difference between > m := ''. > m2 := String new > > that I should be aware of? Yes, although it's not as important as it used to be. '' is compiled as a literal constant and, as such, Dolphin folds all references to point to the same object. If one reference to this object is modified then all references _used to_ reflect the change. In recent Dolphin versions '' has been made a read only ...

Firewall/VPN
I have been looking into some Firewall/VPN boxes. Different brands such as Sisco, Snapgear, D-Link, CheckPoint, Watch Guard... (I Want the ones that are DMZ capable. They actually have an extra Port called DMZ) It seems like most of them are able to perfome the same job. Like i was Compairing one of the D-Link ones with a Sisco and i realized that the D-link regurdless of having as much features or even more seems to be much less expensive! Could someone plz tell me Whats the main thing that distinguishes a good Firewall/VPN box from a standard one? or its just a brand name like BMW and Merc?...

Redirect Public IP to Private IP behind the Pix firewall.
I have a problem, I have a PIX 520. I have a Public IP which is static to a Private IP behind the PIX (A web server). Everyone outside the PIX can access the Public IP fine. Everyone Can Access the web server by Private IP fine, but when I try to use the Public IP behind the PIX it does not work. Is there some kind of thing I can do to get users behind the PIX when they request a a Public IP, The pix would say, oh this is static to a private ip. Any help would be great. I have tried to use the alias command but it didn't seem to work. In article <1127428066.898659.112130@g47g2000...

When Your Company Remote-Wipes Your Personal Phone [Telecom]
In today's (23-NOV-2010) Slashdot: When Your Company Remote-Wipes Your Personal Phone NPR has a story about someone whose personal iPhone got remotely wiped by their employer. <http://www.npr.org/2010/11/22/131511381/wipeout-when-your-company-kills-your-iphone> It was actually a mistake, but it was something of a surprise because they didn't believe they had given their employer any kind of access to do that. This may already be very familiar to Microsoft Exchange admins, but the problem was her iPhone's integration with MS Exchange <http://www.apple.co...

Trendware / Trendnet firewall / routers
http://www.trendnet.com/products/TW100-BRV304.htm http://www.trendnet.com/products/TW100-BRV204.htm Has anyone used one of these ? If so could you please supply some feedback. ...

vl io vs. sram
hi, I'm trying to interface lan chip in an embedded device using PXA255 as CPU. Lan chip is memory mapped and directly accessed on address and memory bus with dedicated CS. I'm not using RDY signal from the lan chip. Can I use SRAM type access to the lan chip or is VL I/O better ? ...

Auction: PC Server 320/520 PCI/EISA planar
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8706518622 Usual disclaimers apply. -- Regards, Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST) ...

Portland personal trainer, personal trainer Portland, personal trainer Portland Oregon
http://portlandoregonpersonaltrainer.com Premier personal trainer in Portland Oregon -- questo articolo e` stato inviato via web dal servizio gratuito http://www.newsland.it/news segnala gli abusi ad abuse@newsland.it ...

US-TX-Austin: Business Analyst/Project Manager, Manage PC maintenance/developmen (45309757610)
US-TX-Austin: Business Analyst/Project Manager, Manage PC maintenance/developmen (45309757610) ============================================================================================== Position: Business Analyst/Project Manager Reference: SMC01172 Location: Austin TX Duration: Contract to Perm Skills: 3-5 years relevant experience Thorough knowledge of PC usage. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Specialized knowledge of functional area and/or government regulations. BS/BA degree req...

Personal Computer 300PL (6862-24U)
Hi All, a friend of mine sold me a computer and i am having problems running it. below is a description of what i get. upon boot up 1 beep 3 beeps 4 beeps can someone help me, i need this computer to run old dos games and software that won't run on XP. please let me know if you need any other info. thanks Brad All 1-3-X beep errors on a 6862 indicate a memory problem. Your PC-300PL has no memory installed, or the installed memory is either not seated properly or it is the wrong type of memory for the machine. The 6862 is not especially "fussy" about memor...

AWT vs SWING vs JAVA 2D vs JFC #2
Hi, can you please describe or show me the path to find the difference among 4. (mentioned in subject line) The basic difference i know, what i want is how to decide when to use what? In my view, awt is used no where these days. swing and Java 2D (what is this?) are used mostly but which to choose for my application, how to decide? and What is JFC all about? sometimes it becomes very confusing. Can anyone throw some light on these terms. - Thanks Nehil :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...

Need Firewall Recommendation
Hello everybody, I'm currently using Norton Internet Security for a firewall but I want a recommendation for an alternative. Here's why: I no longer want to use Symantec's products due to their move to "product authorization" and "limited activations". I'm not going to hassle with them like I did MS with authorizing XP. No, too much BS. (I have legal copies of NIS and NAV, before anybody asks, and have been buying them since they murdered^H^H^H^H^H^H consumed AtGuard.) I need a firewall that does the one thing that NIS does: allow me to filter outgoing c...