Personal Firewalls: ZoneAlarm vs Sygate vs PC-cillin

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How do these personal firewalls rate against each other?

ZoneAlarm (free or Pro)
Sygate Personal Firewall (free or Pro)
PC-cillin Security Suite (integrated firewall, cranked-up to 'high')

Which provides the best protection, uses the least resources, and is most
stable?

Thanks!

0
Reply anonymous5006 (20) 6/1/2005 1:35:40 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 13:35:40 GMT, "Anonymous" <Anonymous@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>How do these personal firewalls rate against each other?
>
>ZoneAlarm (free or Pro)
>Sygate Personal Firewall (free or Pro)
>PC-cillin Security Suite (integrated firewall, cranked-up to 'high')
>
>Which provides the best protection, uses the least resources, and is most
>stable?
>
>Thanks!

http://www.firewall-net.com/en/home/compare.php
0
Reply traxless2553 (34) 6/1/2005 6:04:29 PM

"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in

> http://www.firewall-net.com/en/home/compare.php

C'mon! That page is so old it's still calling Kerio "Tiny."

For the OP, I would choose Sygate.

--
"No sports writers were harmed during the making of this post. And what I
want to know is - why not?"

On 1 Jun 2005 20:10:05 GMT, elaich <a@b.c> wrote:

>"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in
>
>> http://www.firewall-net.com/en/home/compare.php
>
>C'mon! That page is so old it's still calling Kerio "Tiny."
>
>For the OP, I would choose Sygate.

You're right ...

http://www.firewallguide.com/freeware.htm

0
Reply traxless2553 (34) 6/1/2005 8:13:20 PM

Anonymous wrote:

> How do these personal firewalls rate against each other?
>
> ZoneAlarm (free or Pro)
> Sygate Personal Firewall (free or Pro)
> PC-cillin Security Suite (integrated firewall, cranked-up to 'high')
>
> Which provides the best protection, uses the least resources, and is most
> stable?

They each have full trialware you can install and find out for yourself.

Duane :)
0
Reply notme13 (2648) 6/1/2005 8:27:59 PM
comp.security.firewalls 10643 articles. 1 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Modem firewall -vs- Zonealarm -vs- seperate firewall box
I am getting ADSL put on shortly, and the modem/router I will be getting is a "Billion BIPAC 7100 PRO ADSL Modem/Router". This will have two computers connected to it sharing a connection. What I am wondering is: 1. The modem claims "NAT Technology offers security for the network with an inbuilt firewall". How secure are these inbuilt firewalls? 2. If I load Zonealarm (possibly pro) onto the two machines using the internet connection, would this be secure enough? 3. I have an old 486DX100 that i could turn into a seperate firewall if needed. Is this the solution that eve...

WHAT vs HOW vs WHERE
In the ongoing discussion here about alternatives to the RM, the subject of pointers keeps coming up. AFAIK, one of the features of the RM is that the interconnectedness of data is established by common data values, instead of pointers. In my view, pointers are "good things" not "bad things". But there are plenty of "good things" that will harm you if you don't use them right. One of the ways a network or graph data base achieves performance is by the efficient use of pointers, and the strategic preplacement of pointers where they will be need...

ex vs. em vs. px vs. % vs. in.
Hello All, I am looking for a for a good tutorial on font size definitions in a CSS. A URL to a good tutorial with demo/example will help. I am trying to create a CSS for DocBook XML Document, but I m unable to get a cross browser/platform compatibility. I want the documents to look fairly similar on all platforms/browsers. Here is my CSS -> http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/new.css And here are 2 plaint text documents using that CSS: http://tinyurl.com/yu3j8 http://tinyurl.com/2zwoh More documents here -> http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/#88 I was told that I should always use...

JSP vs. Struts vs. JSF vs. Swing vs. Tapestry vs. Spring vs. Rails
I am a JSP developer and am constantly feeling like I am missing the boat by not using any of the other frameworks out there. However, the couple I have looked at (JSF and Rails) don't impress me. In JSP, I keep all of my logic in Servlets/Beans and all of my presentation in the JSP file, making custom tags when I need to do some HTML that involves some logic. So Servlets and Tags are the glue to the JSPs and Beans. I don't see what is wrong with this model. The biggest advantage is its flexible. An example of my frustation with JSF (which is different than all the other complaints...

Sygate Personal Firewall Pro vs. hardware solution
How secure is my laptop, running its current installation of Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, as opposed to using an external hardware solution? Is a software firewall really capable of totally isolating the entire machine from any type of attack, just like a firewall solution could? yo@viacorreo.net wrote in news:41116beb$1_1@127.0.0.1: > How secure is my laptop, running its current installation of Sygate > Personal Firewall Pro, as opposed to using an external hardware > solution? > > Is a software firewall really capable of totally isolating the entire > machine from any...

Magic vs MiNT vs Gevena vs TOS vs...
Hi all, I'm starting this thread for 2 reasons: a) I'm a bit tired of reading the same subject again and again and decided to give it a little twist, b) Personal need. So, without any further ado, my situation is this: I have a stock STE with 4 Megs of memory, in which I'll be adding a hard drive (and maybe more) in this week. Being a floppy user (Atari-wise) all these years I never thought of having any other OSes than plain old TOS, but now, since I'll be getting some more space, I thought I might as well throw in a desktop/accs/resident progs setup there as well...

InDesign: Mac vs PC (was Quark: Mac vs PC)
As I've pointed out to the employee who uses Quark on a Mac at the nonprofit, it's possible that she doesn't use enough of the features of Quark to test its limitations, whether Mac or PC. What about InDesign? If she's not using the wide range of features, including those which make it superior to Quark, does it matter on which platform she uses it? Is it any more difficult to learn than Quark? -- Bob Ball If you want to think positive thoughts, surround yourself with positive people. If you want to email me, eliminate the negative. ...

Sygate Personal Firewall, ZoneAlarm, ZoneAlarm Pro
How do these firewalls compare to each other? Sheila sheila_bailey@hotmail.com wrote: > How do these firewalls compare to each other? > > Sheila > Some of this data is a little old, but it's a start: http://www.agnitum.com/php_scripts/compare2.php http://www.smartcomparisons.com/page4.html This one is fairly recent: http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.htm Before you leap into anything, first determine just what kind of protection you really *need*. You probably will need to do a lot of reading and thinking, first. ...

PowerPC vs. TI DSP vs. IA32 vs. MIPS vs. H8 ...
Hi All, I need to select a platform for a control project. I need suggestions from your guys. Here is the some requirements for the project: 1) Programming in c 2) Two channels of AD > 12bit 3) Two or more quadrature decoders (single ended) 4) > 1 channel of PWM output 5) floating point performance ~ 500MHZ P3 6) Small, reliable and takes only 12V power supply 7) ~32MB DRAM (I really don't know how much my program will require, how to estimate this?) 8) ~32MB FLASH prefer also a VGA display for a color flat panel display. Multimedia Card (or compact flash) interface. Thanks in ad...

fastcgi vs mod perl vs apache vs lighttpd vs perlbal
what is fastest combo folks? >>>>> "g" == gavino <gavcomedy@gmail.com> writes: g> what is fastest combo folks? (no doubt referring to this:) Subject: Re: fastcgi vs mod perl vs apache vs lighttpd vs perlbal It depends on your configuration and what you're doing. Performance for all of them is configuration-dependent: an installation of any of them, tuned to suit your application's specific performance needs, them will most likely perform better an untuned installation of any of the others. (Did you finally get tired of trolling comp.lang...

vi vs. vim vs. emacs vs. ????
I've decided to step back from the IDE and start learning/re-learning Java without the aid of Eclipse or Netbeans. I want to learn about packages and such without having an IDE do all the work for me. So my question is, what's the best editor on a *nix platform? I am somewhat familiar with vi and emacs so I'm trying vim out as my Java editor. Are the others that are better or is a vi* editor a good choice. Not flame bait..just looking for some honest opinions. On Jun 16, 10:54 am, JT <jtlinux1@yaho#Akd9i30.ca> wrote: > I've decided to step back from the IDE a...

Comparisons of TeX vs Groff vs SGML vs DocBook vs TeXinfo
Well, I've had fun with Tex and LaTeX for a while now, but I'd like to know how well the alternatives work, and weather or not I should use these alternatives that are listed usually with TeX. What are your opinions on them, and surely, some must do a job better than the rest (Something must do pictures and tables better) and I probably will use the best one for the specific jobs that may come up in the future. Basically, I'm just asking for a list of strengths and weaknesses that each of these typesetters or document language things have. Thanks Percival Percival Tiglao wrote:...

Qedit vs CodeWright vs Whisper vs ?
I've been a fond fan of Qedit(host) for many years now; already knowing this editor leads me to stay with it when looking for a good client/server editor. But I admit I've also had my head in the sand for years, happily grinding away at my Cobol/Image code, getting real work done, going home tired. Meanwhile, the world's grown up without me. Would you fine folks be so kind as to share your experiences with C/S editors? I know I'll still be working on good old HP3000 Cobol, but now I'm getting into the Unix world, and will probably appreciate having something l...

comparision Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI
Hi, Would it be fair to compare the following technologies to each other: Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI? Thanks, Derek On 4 Nov 2005 20:53:09 -0800, "derek" <derek_t_9953@yahoo.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >Would it be fair to compare the following technologies to each other: > >Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI? > You can compare them. They each have their niche so they are not direct competitors.. CORBA's forte is interlanguage communication -- ty...

Websh vs Rivet vs AOLServer vs PHP
Until now, I've always used PHP for web development. I would like to try Tcl out, but there are so many options. I read that Websh works in Apache 1.3 and 2.0, but Rivet (according to http://tcl.apache.org/) only works with Apache 1.3. As far as I can understand, these both implement different APIs. Then there's AOLServer, which implements yet a third API. What are the relative merits of each of these packages? Specifically, are any of them particularly light-weight? As in lighter than PHP? More importantly, are any of these packages likely to be updated much? It seems li...

Asus vs Toshiba vs IBM vs MSI
Hi I'm looking to possibly buy a laptop around August this year. How would Asus, Toshiba, IBM and MSI compare with reliability, warranty and customer service/technical support? I've read about Toshiba and IBM changing ownership of parts of their companies. How has this affected things? I'd also appreciate any recomendations for other brands for Windows laptops. I'm also thinking of dual booting with Linux (probably Ubuntu) I'm a part time IT student and I'm trying to start up a business using php and Java so I'm looking for a good brand. I'm in Melbourn...

ASSOC vs SHMMAP vs POINT_LUNs vs READ_BINARY?
I have a large multidimensional array. I want to sort it, without doubling the memory requirement by making a same-size array and copying data over, sections at a time. I hear about: - ASSOC? But the raw data is not in large consecutive chunks. Does this preclude its use? - SHMMAP? Seems very low-level and risky without experience. - READU and lots of POINT_LUNs? Would this execute slowly? - READ_BINARY with the TEMPLATE keyword? I should like to hard-code the template rather than use the BINARY_TEMPLATE GUI. I suppose this is possible? I am guessing that READ_BINARY with TE...

ScreamerNet vs. TequilaScream vs. Amleto vs. Spider?
I would like opinions from those who have used third-party Windows network rendering packages for Lightwave (versus the supplied ScreamerNet). Specifically, I'm looking for the pros and cons of using TequilaScream, Amleto, Spider, etc. Best Regards, Washington Bob "Washington Bob" <washington_bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5403d5d.0401161757.18a6648b@posting.google.com... > I would like opinions from those who have used third-party Windows > network rendering packages for Lightwave (versus the supplied > ScreamerNet). > > Specifically, I'm loo...

ATI vs Sapphire vs PowerColor vs etc
Hi there, I've been out of the computer market for awhile now. What's with all these other companies carrying ATI products. For example, I can get a Sapphire Radeon 9600 or a PowerColor 9600 and ATI still has their own 9600. I am seeing these supposedly same products at different prices. What is the difference between the companies and which one would you recommend I get? I am not a gamer. I may do some light video editing though. Thanks for the help. Kindly appreciated. "Kevin" <kevin_uoft@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5a7a1cbd.0410201540.29397c48@posting.goog...

Perl vs Python vs Ruby.... vs Tcl?
Hello. I found this page interesting http://mjtsai.com/blog/2002/11/25/perl_vs_python_vs_ruby/ Would someone care to show me how this would be done in Tcl please? Thanks. fro...@gmail.com wrote: > Hello. I found this page interesting > > http://mjtsai.com/blog/2002/11/25/perl_vs_python_vs_ruby/ > > Would someone care to show me how this would be done in Tcl please? > Thanks. Probably by using the tcllib csv module and adding some lsearch/lsort - index trickery for Tcl 8.5 or simple iteration with foreach. Michael On 11 sep, 16:31, schl...@uni-oldenburg.de wrote: >...

C++ vs Java vs OCaml vs SML
I have written a web page comparing the verbosity and speed of four different (progressively optimised) mini ray tracers written in C++, Java, OCaml and SML: http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/ray_tracer/languages.html Essentially, the results indicate that Java is extremely slow (5x slower than the fastest implementation) and extremely verbose, OCaml is extremely concise (only 60 lines of code for the minimal implementation of the ray tracer) and Mlton-compiled SML is extremely fast (much faster than the other three languages). -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy http://www.ffco...

Mint vs. PCLOS vs. PC-BSD Which to choose?
I've been an Ubuntu user for some time, but there are a few things I'm not fond of. I'll spare the details, but basically I'm down to these three: Linux Mint, PCLOS 2007 Final, and PC-BSD. I'm not expecting everyone to be fully proficient in all of these, but I'd be happy to hear some thoughts... or do I just wait to see if my issues are addressed in the next (K)Ubuntu. Thanks, Dominic On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:03:50 +0000, dxt178 wrote: > I've been an Ubuntu user for some time, but there are a few things I'm > not fond of. I'll spare the details, but...

PHP vs. Ruby vs. Python (vs. Rails)
------=_NextPart_000_009F_01C4D6B5.63C44BD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit As I was falling asleep last night I was wondering about the differences in terms of web development time and effort between PHP, Ruby, and Python. and I found myself wondering how much effort the Rails framework saves me from. Does anyone else out there have the experience to be able to compare these? I'm partly curious because I've found it so difficult to get Rails going on windows, while PHP was comparatively very easy. And Python I've just heard ...

Forth Vs Clean Vs J vs Lisp
Dear Friends of Forth, I have just found Forth and am excited about it. But i need to clarify its benefits in pc programming rather than using c, c++ or Java or a scripting language. Then there is speed of execution. Seems Forth is like Lisp in that it can be used to write or extend one's own language because you can build up your own definitions. Lisp is powerful and expressive and fast prototyping like Forth but usually slow. Forth can go down further to lower level programming - powerful. But is the speed one gets without heavy tweaking better than most other languages? Interpreted For...