Ports....Ports....Ports...

I have a linksys WRT54G wireless access point and I have't been able to get
voice communications using Windows Messenger or Buddy Talk.  With a direct
PPOE connection to my isp they voice items worked fine.  What ports need to
be forwarded to allow for voice?

Thanx,

Grumpy

0
waharper (1)
8/8/2003 3:05:30 PM
comp.security.firewalls 10672 articles. 0 followers. dfinc1988 (97) is leader. Post Follow

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:05:30 GMT, William Harper spoketh

>I have a linksys WRT54G wireless access point and I have't been able to get
>voice communications using Windows Messenger or Buddy Talk.  With a direct
>PPOE connection to my isp they voice items worked fine.  What ports need to
>be forwarded to allow for voice?
>
>Thanx,
>
>Grumpy

http://messenger.msn.com/Help/#LQ10

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
"You're an angel with your wings broken"
0
badnews (1010)

Port Forwarding: Device:Port = Router:Port?
- Webcam's IP addr = 10.0.0.140, and it's set up to use port 8000 - Router's IP addr = 1.0.0.1, and it's port forwarding is set up to forward port 8000 to 10.0.140. - I can view the camera using 10.0.0.140:8000, no problem. The Question: Should I be able to view the camera using 10.0.0.1:8000? -- PeteCresswell On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:13:01 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid> wrote: > - Webcam's IP addr = 10.0.0.140, and it's set up to > use port 8000 > > - Router's IP addr = 1.0.0.1, and...

Why is port forwarding more secure than opening up a port?
I have never understood this very well, here is my current grasp of it.. If I open up port 110 on my router: 1. If hacker is probing random IP addresses on that port, I will be flagged as open and he will come back and pay me a visit. 2. Any Trojans, viruses, or other malware that works its way into PCs via port 110 will eventually stumble across my open port and infect me. Alternatively, if I "forward" port 110 to say 192.168.0.5 (my pop3 server PC): 1. If hacker is probing random IP addresses on that port, will I will be flagged as closed? stealthed? worth a second visit? 2. Any Trojans, viruses or other port 110 malware will squirm through my router and arrive at 192.168.0.5?? Please can someone clear this up for me. Thanks Paul "Paul H" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%Ifwd.453$JI3.381@newsfe1-win.ntli.net... > I have never understood this very well, here is my current grasp of it.. > > If I open up port 110 on my router: > > 1. If hacker is probing random IP addresses on that port, I will be flagged > as open and he will come back and pay me a visit. Very unlikely. I'm not running anything on 110 here and I've forgotten when I last saw anything directed at 110. > > 2. Any Trojans, viruses, or other malware that works its way into PCs via > port 110 will eventually stumble across my open port and infect me. What did you mean by "open up port 110 on my router"? It does no...

How do I: Switchport port-security on Pix 501 Switch Ports
I have a bunch of remote fire stations on a nailed vpn over cable to our internal network. I need to be able to do something similar to what I do with switches: switchport port-security switchport port-security mac-address sticky These folks keep bringing in personal laptops that are virus/malware infected and putting them on our network. Does anyone have any idea on how I can control these switch ports on the 501? Some models actually show the switch ports, but the eraly models, don'/ t even show the switchports on a 'sh int' Thank-you for any idea's. Bruce D. Meyer Bru...

Ports for DB2 behind firewall / ssh port forward
hi newsgroup, I'd like to connect to a remote DB2 Database V 8.2 using the "DB2 Steuerzentrale" (I guess it's called something like "DB2 management console" in the English version). Since the database host is behind a firewall I tried to communicate through ssh port forwarding. Therefore, I run: ssh -L 6789:remotename:6789 -L 50000:remotename:50000 -L 50001:remotename:50001 -L 523:remotename:523 remotename Though the ssh connection is established, my "DB2 Steuerzentrale" won't connect to localhost successfully and shows an error num...

Port Range for avoid-v4-udp-ports OR port for resolv.conf nameserver
My upstream DNS does not accept queries on all UDP ports, so I end up with lots of udp unreachable messages. The upstream DNS is totally unreachable outside the LAN, so it does not need to use other UDP ports. Is there are way to specify a port range in the "avoid-v4-udp-ports { port; .... };" statement? I tried "avoid-v4-udp-ports { 51000-53000; );" and it was not accepted. Alternatively, under Linux Fedora Core 4, is there a way to specify the port number for the nameserver statement, like "nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:53"? Thanks. Jim ----- Jim Hermann <hostmaster@UUism.net> UUism Networks <http://www.UUism.net> Ministering to the Needs of Online UUs Web Hosting, Email Services, Mailing Lists ----- ...

Firewall port 1105 (FTRANHC) & port 1239 (NMSD) ?
Can someone shed light on this message from Sygate Personal Firewall? Firefox (firefox.exe) is being contacted from a remote machine www.google.com [66.102.7.104] using local port 1105 (FTRANHC - FTRANHC). Do you want to allow this program to access the network? 1. I brought up firefox and went to google groups. 2. Sygate asked me if I wanted to go there at port 80 & I said OK. 3. Then, Google came back asking to come in on port 1105. Why does Google want to remote initiate at port 1105? Then I search for port lists and find this URL: http://www.doshelp.com/trojanports.htm When I go to that link, besides the request to go out on port 80 I get another incoming Sygate permission request asking: NDIS User mode I/O Driver (ndisuio.sys) is being contacted from a remote machine www.doshelp.com [68.178.160.90] using local port 1239 (NMSD - NMSD). Do you want to allow this program to access the network? I say no, and the web page won't come up. So I go to http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers to find not much on these two ports. My confusion lies in why these web sites feel the need to contact me on any port other than the port 80 that I go out to them on. Can you shed light on what is the normal process here? Thank you for your guidance, Ellen On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 01:55:53 -0500, YoKenny wrote: >> When I go to that link, besides the request to go out on port 80 I get >> another incoming Sygate permission request on port 1239. > Spyware Det...

Necessary ports and not necessary ports
Hi there, Need input from you all. I have a win2003 box, which i want to set it as a domain controller. I would like to filter the incoming IP via IPSec and secure the system by closing ports. The box is used for user to log in, active directory and sharing resources. But somehow I don't know which ports are necsssary to be opened, when the box works as domain controller. Can you tell me which ports necessary to be opened, so that I con closed all other ports. Suppose I have other box, that works as webserver. All i have to do is to close all ports except 80. Do I see it correctly? than...

Virtual Port / Port Emulation
I am looking for Links or References or a Complete/Detailed Guide to developing my own Application in Visual Basic that generates are Virtual Serial Port. I have found programs on the Internet that do this, but no source code which explains how it is done /slash/ how someone could do it. Thanks ! On 16 Oct 2003 18:41:40 -0700, deathsmerchant@hotmail.com (DeathsMerchant) wrote: >I am looking for Links or References or a Complete/Detailed Guide to >developing my own Application in Visual Basic that generates are >Virtual Serial Port. I have found programs on the Internet that do >...

port 53 to port 53
Hi All Does any one know when bind will use source port 53 to query other dns server port 53 ? thx alex ...

port forwarding/ opening port
hi i'm having P4 2.4 256MB RAM with Win XP SP-2 Pro installed. i'm using 256 kbps connection using adsl2+ router SmartAX MT882 ADSL Router from Huawei, china its having NAT & built in firewall.,,, i'm also using Win XP Firewall to protect my pc.. i want to know how to use port forwarding & how to open port on router so that i can establish connection, also i didn't understand the UDP & TCP, what is it all about? i want to open port for radmin connection... also, how to know that how much secure my pc is from internet... any resource... i have referred to router manual but i didn't find the information.. Thank you in advance krunal jariwala jariwalakrunal@gmail.com wrote in news:1130958191.680401.263360 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: > hi > i'm having P4 2.4 256MB RAM with Win XP SP-2 Pro installed. > i'm using 256 kbps connection using adsl2+ router SmartAX MT882 ADSL > Router from Huawei, china > > its having NAT & built in firewall.,,, i'm also using Win XP Firewall > to protect my pc.. > > i want to know how to use port forwarding & how to open port on router > so that i can establish connection, also i didn't understand the UDP & > TCP, what is it all about? > i want to open port for radmin connection... > > also, how to know that how much secure my pc is from internet... any > resource... > > i have referred to router manual but i didn't find the...

port forwarding for multiple ports
Hello, Is there any way to do a port forwarding (ssh -L localport:remotehost:remoteport) for a range of ports? If do not, can I do a port forwarding dinamically? (is there any application that do something like this?) Thanks, RFT. rodrigofteixeira@yahoo.com.br (RFT) writes: >Is there any way to do a port forwarding (ssh -L >localport:remotehost:remoteport) for a range of ports? Not readily that I'm aware. >If do not, can I do a port forwarding dinamically? (is there any >application that do something like this?) There's the -D command (which supports SOCKS right now). I've also hacked at the source to do more interesting things. It's certainly possible to do what you want with an unmodified SSH server. The trick is convincing a client to do it. I've been playing with Twisted.Conch to do this. --kyler In article <610789b8.0404261242.35824a3b@posting.google.com>, RFT <rodrigofteixeira@yahoo.com.br> wrote: >Is there any way to do a port forwarding (ssh -L >localport:remotehost:remoteport) for a range of ports? Use lots of "-L" command line options :-? >If do not, can I do a port forwarding dinamically? (is there any >application that do something like this?) It depends on what you mean by "dynamically". Some implementations (eg, PuTTY, OpenSSH, possibly others) have a "dynamic forward" option which implements a SOCKS server in the SSH client, so if you application understands...

Re: Port Range for avoid-v4-udp-ports OR port for resolv.conf nameserver
My /etc/resolv.conf file has three nameservers: nameserver ------Original Message------ From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 To: UUN Hostmaster Cc: bind-users@isc.org Sent: Jul 13, 2008 12:35 PM Subject: Re: Port Range for avoid-v4-udp-ports OR port for resolv.conf nameserver At Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:33:28 -0500, "Jim Hermann - UUN Hostmaster" <hostmaster@uuism.net> wrote: > My upstream DNS does not accept queries on all UDP ports, so I end up with > lots of udp unreachable messages. The upstream DNS is totally unreachable > outside the LAN, so it does not need to use other UDP ports. I don't understand what this means. What's 'my upstream DNS'? Are you using a forwarder, which is the upstream DNS? Please provide more specific network configuration in this situation. > Is there are way to specify a port range in the "avoid-v4-udp-ports { port; > ... };" statement? I tried "avoid-v4-udp-ports { 51000-53000; );" and it > was not accepted. New beta versions support an explicit notation to specify a range: avoid-v4-udp-ports { range 51000 53000; }; If you cannot use a beta version, you could still specify the same thing as follows: avoid-v4-udp-ports { 51000; 51001; 51002; ...; 52999; 53000; }; but this would be very inefficient (due to differences of the underlying implementation between P1s and beta), and you'd probably not want to do that. --- JINMEI, Tatu...

going from many 10Mbit ports to a single 100Mbit firewall WAN port
Hi all, I manage a small network in my university lab. I have access to 5 (five) 10Mbit ports on an internet-connected hub, and I would like to turn this 5x10Mbit capacity into something that can go into my 100Mbit firewall WAN port. The firewall secures an internal 10 PC network. Does a simple switch make sense ? (using the correct cables) thank you michele In article <2ddbc5eb.0401050814.419d9bf8@posting.google.com>, michele <mmanghi@cibra.unipv.it> wrote: >Hi all, >I manage a small network in my university lab. >I have access to 5 (five) 10Mbit ports on an...

Port-security on 16-port FastEthernet module (NM-ESW-16)
Hello, I would like to be able to restrict network access by associating a switch port with a workstation's mac-address. Does anyone know if port-security can be enabled on a 16-port FastEthernet module (NM-ESW-16)? Hardware - Cisco 2651 router with NM-ESW-16 module IOS - Version 12.3(4)T3 Also, I don't have the command "switchport port-security" available when I'm in the interface mode (see below). 2651_tester(config)#int f1/1 2651_tester(config-if)#switchport ? access Set access mode characteristics of the interface mode Set trunking mode of the interfac...

port
If I want to add just one port, do I need to install the entire port database, or can I just install the one port? How do I do this? comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd). See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas... [followups redirected accordingly] "Darren Welson" <3welsons@cox.net> writes: > If I want to add just one port, do I need to install the entire port > database, or can I just install the one port? How do I do this? /usr/ports/Mk and the ...

port
what does validating a port means? can i get a c program to validate a port On 2008-05-25 10:54:32 -0400, sam <hska.8626@gmail.com> said: > what does validating a port means? Porting means getting code that was written for one platform (compiler/OS) to run on another platform. Validating a port most likely means testing the ported code to be sure that it works right. -- Pete Roundhouse Consulting, Ltd. (www.versatilecoding.com) Author of "The Standard C++ Library Extensions: a Tutorial and Reference (www.petebecker.com/tr1book) On 2008-05-25 16:54, sam wrote: > w...

Re: Port Range for avoid-v4-udp-ports OR port for resolv.conf nameserver #3
Also if your upsteam won't accept DNS queries from specific ports they need to take a course in proper firewall design. There is absolutely no reason to block queries from DNS servers from specific ports. It's a lazy firewall administator that blocks off offered services unnecessarially. It's not hard to keep offered services going even when trying to block rampent virus vectors. e.g. allow from all to nameserver port 53 block from port xxxx to any. or allow from all to any port 53 block from port xxxx to any. Mark -- Mark Andrews, ISC 1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews@isc.org ...

what does this kerio firewall message mean port 4233 wants to connect to port 1025
I just installed kerio firewall 2.1.5 in anticipation of getting broadband tomorrow. It seemed fine asking for various programs to have permission to use internet then said the following about svchost.exe "Someone from 62.178.7.121, port 4233 wants to connect to port 1025 owned by 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' on your computer" In the end I denied it temporarily, can anyone enlighten me to what it means though? Thanks There it goes again, freaky, if I had not installed the firewall would this have been automatically allowed? Or is it harmless unless I have a svchost with a flaw in it or something? "Someone from chello062178204197.7.15.vie.surfer.at [62.178.204.197], port 2111 wants to connect to port 1025 owned by 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' on your computer" c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe "aa" <aa@aa.cos> wrote in message news:pl5fj0dnqcvued4ptbpgipgk163fb47anv@4ax.com... > I just installed kerio firewall 2.1.5 in anticipation of getting > broadband tomorrow. It seemed fine asking for various programs to have > permission to use internet then said the following about svchost.exe > > "Someone from 62.178.7.121, port 4233 wants to connect to port 1025 > owned by 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' on your computer" > > In the end I denied it temporarily, can anyone enlighten me to what it > means though? > Thanks Greetings, This simply m...

netscreen: not allowed to port forward port outside port < 1024 to one inside >= 1024?
I'm using a netscreen-25 and it seems to be the case that when I try to set up a port forward from virtual port 80 (outside) to port 8080 (inside) it won't let me: "port number should be between 1024 and 32767, or default 1024" .... and then it sets my port 80 to be 1024. Virtuals ports < 1024 are not allowed for some reason.... I am doing the port forwarding by using the VIP (virtual IP) feature btw. Why should there be such a limiation? Is there any compromise possible? alex Alex Hunsley wrote: > I'm using a netscreen-25 and it seems to be the case that when I > try to set up a port forward from virtual port 80 (outside) to port > 8080 (inside) it won't let me: > > "port number should be between 1024 and 32767, or default 1024" > > ... and then it sets my port 80 to be 1024. Virtuals ports < 1024 > are not allowed for some reason.... > > I am doing the port forwarding by using the VIP (virtual IP) > feature btw. > > Why should there be such a limiation? > Is there any compromise possible? > > alex Are you already using Port 80 with another policy or service for your NAT'ed IP address? Another good resource for netscreen issues is www.netscreenforum.com Not-My-Real-Name wrote: > Alex Hunsley wrote: > >>I'm using a netscreen-25 and it seems to be the case that when I >>try to set up a port forward from virtual port 80 (outside) to port >>...

USB port adapter -> Multi USB ports existing ? Extending number of USB ports possible ?
Unfortunately my notebook has only ONE USB port. Is there something like an USB port adapter which I can plug in into the one available USB port and which offers at the other side multiple USB ports ? Something like a simple, portable USB hub ? Tom [ excessive crossposting trimmed ] ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.] On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:17:11 +0100, Thomas Jerkins staggered into the Black Sun and said: > Unfortunately my notebook has only ONE USB port. Is there something > like an USB port adapter which I can plug in into the one available > USB ...

Problems Reading/Writing Parallel Port Data, Status & control Registers Using In Port.vi and Out port.vi
Hi, Can anyone there help me Please with the problem. I am trying to communicate with the parallel port using my program which i have attached to the message. I am running LabVIEW 7.0 Professional with application builder. All the program does is reads and writes to the three parallel port registers. It runs FINE!!! in my computer. But when i built an executable (see attached) and tried running on a different computer (with LabVIEW Runtime engine 7.0 installed) the program does not read/write to the registers. The target PC had the parallel port in SPP mode just like mine. I can't seem to understand whats going wrong? Can anyone please help me if you know the right answer. Thanks Programs.zip: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/147977/1/Programs.zip Hi Dip, When you select "Build Application or Shared Library", in "Source Files", do you add the dynamic vi's and support files?In "Installer Settings", do you select "Create installer" and include the all LLB's and vi's necessary for it to work?It may not include a driver if it is not included in the build. Unfortunately, I do not have V at work.&nbsp; There is a TAB in the build executable where you select which drivers to include.&nbsp; I cannot guide you to find the appropriate location of this... Ray Dip wrote:Hi, Can anyone there help me Please with the problem. I am trying to communicate with the parallel port using my program which i have attach...

Why FreeBSD Ports require other useless ports?
For example, if I want to install http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=%5Erkhunter&stype=all I also have to install wget, which is clearly not required by rkhunter. http://www.rootkit.nl/ In fact, in rkhunter-1.2.7, wget is not required, but in rkhunter-1.2.7_1, wget is added. I have found that many FreeBSD ports uses so many other ports, that makes the dependency issues even bigger. On 2005-07-13, nntp <nntp@alexa.com> wrote: > For example, if I want to install > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=%5Erkhunter&stype=all > I also have to install wget, which is clearly not required by rkhunter. > http://www.rootkit.nl/ > > In fact, in rkhunter-1.2.7, wget is not required, but in rkhunter-1.2.7_1, > wget is added. > > I have found that many FreeBSD ports uses so many other ports, that makes > the dependency issues even bigger. Ask the maintainer who made the change. Kris nntp wrote: > For example, if I want to install > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=%5Erkhunter&stype=all > I also have to install wget, which is clearly not required by rkhunter. > http://www.rootkit.nl/ > > In fact, in rkhunter-1.2.7, wget is not required, but in rkhunter-1.2.7_1, > wget is added. > > I have found that many FreeBSD ports uses so many other ports, that makes > the dependency issues even bigger. Wget is not required to run rkhunter. You need w...

Has anyone ported or is anyone porting libsdl?
Dear all, I am working on porting QEMU to run on Minix, and intend to port libsdl (http://www.libsdl.org/) to allow it to support graphics. Although SDL has been mentioned a couple of times in this newsgroup, I did not notice any information on a port. To avoid doing duplicate work: is there anyone who has ported, is porting or has attempted to port SDL? If so, are you willing to share code and/or experiences with porting with me? With kind regards, Erik van der Kouwe ...

USB port and COM port virtualization
One of the common issues the users may face while dealing with virtualization (both Vmware and Hyper-V) is how to pass the physical USB and COM ports from the host machine to the virtual guest machines. The most effective solution to do it is "USB over Network" and "Network Serial Port Kit" software from FabulaTech. www.fabulatech.com There are trial versions on the web site so that everyone can check how it works. If you guys need any assistance while testing or have any questions you can ask me at any time. alex.webster@fabulatech.com ...

Web resources about - Ports....Ports....Ports... - comp.security.firewalls

Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land. Port ...

Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land. Port ...

Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land. Port ...

Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land. Port ...

BP building Port Adelaide base for Bight exploration - AdelaideNow Search Search
... in the Great Australian Bight would benefit South Australia, BP Australia said at the opening on Friday of a marine supply base in Port Adelaide. ...

Port sale: anger as plan to bring bigger ships into Port of Melbourne rejected
The Port of Melbourne's third stevedore wants to bring more large container ships into the bay, arguing this will boost the port's efficiency ...

Port sale: anger as plan to bring bigger ships into Port of Melbourne rejected
The Port of Melbourne's third stevedore wants to bring more large container ships into the bay, arguing this will boost the port's efficiency ...

Port Adelaide skipper Travis Boak’s got pie on his face for a good cause - HeraldSun Search Search
YOU’VE got to do what the coach says and for Travis Boak that meant copping a plate of shaving cream.

Port Arthur shooter Martin Bryant’s ex-girlfriends speak out
MASS murderer Martin Bryant is the epitome of the type of man most women don’t want to date.

Port win on horror night for Richmond
Port Adelaide picked up their first win of the NAB Challenge, but it was overshadowed by a horror night of injuries for Richmond.